NEurope
david.dakota

The Android Thread

Yet to find anyone have an issue with the nexus 7, its just a seriously great bit of kit.

Also I'm not sure since when but you can now download movies from the Google store now.

and both left elements of apple software like poo on the tread of my shoe.

Have you tried a wire brush?

Google really need to realise how popular Nexus devices can be. I showed off my 4 and 7 and people wanted both in less than a minute of seeing the device.

Google could make a killing showing these of in shops and stuff. If they could make enough, that is.

I think it was a really logical choice to get the Nexus 7 when you consider the ridiculous cost of iPads. I know Apple have made the mini now but it's still £100 more. People buying 7 inch tablets really want a good system at a good price.

I think i read somewhere that if Google wanted to sell the Nexi in physical shops they wouldn't be able to sell them at such a reduced cost?

What you mean the phone? The tablet is already being sold pretty cheap in shops like Carphone Warehouse.

Well yeah i read it about the phone, but i suppose the tablet is cheap anyway.

Maybe if they're losing money on every one sold, they don't want to sell many. They just want to make it seem like they're in high demand by selling out of the online ones.

Maybe if they're losing money on every one sold, they don't want to sell many. They just want to make it seem like they're in high demand by selling out of the online ones.

Amazon lose money on the Kindle Fire.

It's not about making money on the device, it's about getting people to spend money on their stores.

Awww yeh got a 16GB nexus 4 they on sale now at google play. Limit of one per a customer, lol.

I imagine its sold out with ⁴-5 weeks delivery. At least it gives people a chance to pre order.

Edited by James

What delivery does it state for the one you ordered?

Also, I think I'll certainly be fine for storage. I likely won't be storing much more on mine (music gets turned on/off, no games as they just go on my N7) and I have over 4GB left.

I looked up the Nexus 4, why doesn't it have 4G connectivity? In a couple of years I imagine 4G will be reasonably affordable...and 3G is pretty shit.

To keep prices down, not every country has 4g and its cheaper to build one chip board rather than with different ones. 4g won't be available where I live until 2014 by that time I imagine I'll have a new phone that will have 4g as it becomes standard.

If your in Canada it does have 4g due to an apparently dormant 4g chip.:-)

and 3G is pretty shit.

Since when was 20Mbps+ on a mobile phone considered "shit"?

There'll probably be another version then in a year with 4G. When all the companies offer 4G in the UK next year I'm sure it'll become a pretty desired feature. I buy phones expecting them to last 3-4 years given their cost, so I'll pass on this.

Since when was 20Mbps+ on a mobile phone considered "shit"?

3G is pretty poor compared to home broadband and next to no one ever gets those speeds. It is abysmal at penetrating most buildings and constantly drops when travelling via train/car.

Edited by Sheikah
Automerged Doublepost

I'll be sticking to 3G until 4G simply replaces it, which will likely be a few Nexuses down the line.

So if the pricing was similar, the speeds and reception better, you wouldn't switch?

I looked up the Nexus 4, why doesn't it have 4G connectivity? In a couple of years I imagine 4G will be reasonably affordable...and 3G is pretty shit.

Standard mobile contracts are a couple of years anyway. We've been conditioned to believe we need/want a new phone every 2 years so no biggie.

Plus in the UK the current prices are ridiculous.

So if the pricing was similar, the speeds and reception better, you wouldn't switch?

I'm pretty sure that once it reaches that level, it will just be included as a standard mobile data contract.

At the moment though only one company offers 4G, soon there'll be competition and maybe not long after better prices.

I'm pretty sure that once it reaches that level, it will just be included as a standard mobile data contract.

True but likely 3G will be included alongside 4G just like 2G currently is with 3G. You wouldn't switch though?

Yes, if 4G was the same price as 3G and I had a 4G phone, I would switch (although the switch would hopefully be automatic or a case of calling up and simply saying "I want 4G"). I wouldn't go far out of my way for it, though.

The speeds I get when i can actually receive 3G are perfect for me. The problem i find isn't that the service is too slow, it's that the coverage isn't good enough. I would rather they spent the money they are spending on 4G on upgrading the 3G service and making it better. However, they aren't going to do that because it's harder to advertise.

I don't suppose they'll manage to get better coverage with 4G before 5G comes along...

At work And home I have wifi. For me it's all about travel, and 3G doesn't fare well on trains. 4G is meant to have better penetration so I imagine it'll be better for travelling.

I don't suppose they'll manage to get better coverage with 4G before 5G comes along...

I'd imagine it'll be better/as good as 3G before long.

Edited by Sheikah
Automerged Doublepost