NEurope
david.dakota

The Android Thread

Gsmarena have a write up on jelly bean 4.2. Share the screen of your phone to a big screen tv as long it's on your wireless network. Some other cool stuff as well.

And if your TV doesn't support that, the Nexus 4 has a "SlimPort HDMI" port, so you can connect via a cable.

Here's some of the panoramas using the new software:

http://maps.google.com/help/maps/streetview/contribute/#QKZJDF5QWO0AAAAAAAABOw

I'm genuinely so excited by all this. And my contract is up. Woo hooooo.

If you read the bad stuff thread, you'll know I had my Galaxy S3 pickpocketed. Not covered by any insurance I have, unfortunately :(

Now I need to decide whether to fork out £400 for a new Galaxy, or £279 for the new Nexus. The lack of memory card slot is annoying as I had just bought a 32GB card, which will come in the post tomorrow. And I'm not sure I like the look of the handset itself. Decisions decisions.

If you read the bad stuff thread, you'll know I had my Galaxy S3 pickpocketed. Not covered by any insurance I have, unfortunately :(

Now I need to decide whether to fork out £400 for a new Galaxy, or £279 for the new Nexus. The lack of memory card slot is annoying as I had just bought a 32GB card, which will come in the post tomorrow. And I'm not sure I like the look of the handset itself. Decisions decisions.

Which network are you with? I am sure Orange do an "emergency insurance" plan, pay £60 and then you've got 12 months also to pay in installments.

Some great news today, plus it seem Google Play Music is launching in the UK in November.

Its a big shame the N10 isn't launching with 3G, I would have been all over it.

I want ALL OF IT!

Don't think Orange will let me out of a contract 14 months early though :(

Which network are you with? I am sure Orange do an "emergency insurance" plan, pay £60 and then you've got 12 months also to pay in installments.

Some great news today, plus it seem Google Play Music is launching in the UK in November.

Its a big shame the N10 isn't launching with 3G, I would have been all over it.

That's interesting. I am with Orange, I've never heard of that, and they didn't mention it when I phoned to report it lost. I don't know if it makes any difference but I got the contract via dialaphone (Phones4U) so the handset wasn't directly from Orange, and lots of insurance things say you can't claim in the first 14 days. Will look into it, thanks :)

EDIT: Just found this on their website:

If you don’t have Orange care, we’ll do our best to help you get a replacement with our Emergency Care or Emergency Replacement service. Please note we are unable to replace handsets from third parties, e.g. Carphone Warehouse and Phone 4 U.

Ah well. Thanks for suggesting it anyway!

Edited by Mr-Paul

A video showcasing the Nexus 4 and Nexus 10.

Apart from the devices, I like Google's honesty: stuff like "So it's just like the leaks" "Pretty much", "It's like Swype", "We have induction charging - the WebOS guys won't like that". And in regards to tablet apps, they mention that these devices should convince developers to create them. It's kind of...refreshing.

The easier-to-organise widgets and the lockscreen stuff look great. The devices also look much better than in photos.

Induction charging sounds great because most my phones break because they stop charging.

As well as getting a bonus this year, I'm also getting a couple of weeks extra wages due to unused holidays.

So I'm going to splash out on a 16GB Nexus 4 and 16GB Nexus 10.

My tablet is on it's last legs and changing my phone contract saves a ton of money.

I think I will wait for reviews/battery life/get actual hands on with the Nexus before deciding what to do. I really loved the S3 for those 5 days I had it, and actually liked Samsung's take on Android, stock looks a bit plain in comparison. But the price is very very very good for what's in it.

I don't really like the lack of buttons.

As for me. 32GB Nexus 10 without a doubt and I'll be handing down my nexus 7 as a disguised Christmas present. Will probably skip the nexus 4 unless they release a 32GB version. Galaxy Nexus is doing me just fine right now and there is nothing that the nexus 4 offers that makes me want to make the jump.

I really like the look of the 360 panorama mode. Looks awesome! I hope it comes to the Galaxy S2 soon.....

My tablet is on it's last legs and changing my phone contract saves a ton of money.

When you say "changing my phone contract" I assume your current one is up, and you don't have some magic trick/handshake to get out early?

When you say "changing my phone contract" I assume your current one is up, and you don't have some magic trick/handshake to get out early?

My one is due to end soon, so I'm downgrading at the end of it. I've found out that I can pop into a 3 store and get a microSIM at no additional cost.

I wants the Nexus 10 32GB. I've been waiting for this. Do you think it's worth waiting longer though as I'm sure they will announce a 3G version like they have for the Nexus 7? RIGHT?!?!

Also the only thing turning me off is no expandable memory. SD card slot anyone? I guess they are thinking you don't need that with all the cloud services out there but I likes expandable memory or even a standard USB slot so I can shove shit into. /pipedream

*awaits 13 November* £389 is a sexy price.

Also the only thing turning me off is no expandable memory. SD card slot anyone? I guess they are thinking you don't need that with all the cloud services out there but I likes expandable memory or even a standard USB slot so I can shove shit into. /pipedream

I'm fine with the 16GB.

With this app and one of these cables, you can connect a USB stick to it.

Rayman Jungle Run is 79p via the Amazon App store, it's a pretty good game.

Also see Chrono Trigger is finally available on Android, but your probably better off with the DS version.

Has anyone else tried to download the new Google Search? Bizarrely, when i go to the Play store, it won't show up? It says it's available for my old Xperia Mini (running Gingerbread) but it won't run on my Galaxy S2 running ICS?!

What's going on?!