NEurope
david.dakota

The Android Thread

Can't you just use times rather than location? Save you switching your 3g on? Looks like a cool app though!

Not sure, not looked that much into it to be honest. I'm sure other apps can do it based on times, but I work flexitime so it can vary.

Not that we get any signal in our office to make a difference but hey ho.

Microsoft released something similar to that it's called. on{x}. If your a java script guru its meant to work very well.

is there a downside to gaining root access? just wondering if its worth doing since i've come across a few apps that want it, and it would be nice to use a sixaxis on my S3, but i also don't want to cause problems and could jsut wait for the nyko controller coming soon

Someone tell me that eventually the Samsung S2 won't have a voice command service that's attached to your home button?

Its driving me crazy.

Don't you have to double tap the home button to bring it up? I've accidentally done it a couple of times but not a lot...

Gaining root doesn't really have any downsides other than if you want to upgrade your OS later down the line through your network, i.e in an OTA upgrade. Then you might get some issues.

Although you can always just unroot before you upgrade I suppose...

Basically if you're going to root, make sure it's a tried and tested method with a low risk, you don't want to brick your phone!

If you're one of those types who installs pirated versions of free apps downloaded from dodgy sites, you're slightly more at risk with a rooted phone.

Gaining root doesn't really have any downsides other than if you want to upgrade your OS later down the line through your network, i.e in an OTA upgrade. Then you might get some issues.

Although you can always just unroot before you upgrade I suppose...

OTA updates aren't always a deal breaker. As long as you have an app installed that tries to protect root: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.projectvoodoo.otarootkeeper&hl=en

Worked on my Nexus 7.

seems interesting.......

I might consider doing a root then and seeing if that app allows OTA updates, if it does then i really can't see a downside to having the phone rooted

Good luck! That phone says it's not for sale! And it's in Russian!

I'd wait if i were you and get a consumer version that's in English.

Manually updated my Nexus 7 to 4.1.2. Having a rotating homescreen now is nice, especially when I'm using it with its stand.

Updating was bit of a pain, apparently the recovery boot mode is broken so it just sat there with "Google" on the screen. You need download some drivers and have it plugged into your PC in order for it to work. ::shrug: Will be useful for future updates now .:)

I'd wait if i were you and get a consumer version that's in English.

It's the LG Nexus and it's going to be announced at the end of this month. It's supposedly based on the LG Optimus G.

I knew thaaaaaaat!

00kulvinder.jpg

I like how Google, are letting every company have a go at a nexus phone, presumably to see who does the best.

It will also be my next phone only if they increase the memory it has only 8gb reportedly with no sd card slot which is just bonkers. Hopefully it will come with 16 and 32gb as well.

It looks a very nice phone.

Damn two year contracts. Come on January 2014 :(

Agreed. Mine runs out in just over a month.

I'm looking for a new phone as my current ZTE blade on Tesco is slow, and I hardly ever get 3g signal.

I'm thinking about moving to orange as I'd get that U24 thing, with an extra 1gb data and 300 mins to orange/tmobile phones on top of the normal tariff limits.

I've looked at a deal for £20.50 a month including 200 mins, 3000 texts and 100mb data and free phone. But I can't decide between:

LG Optimum 4X (I've read reports of a cack camera/autofocus)

or

Sony Xperia T

Does anyone have any experience with either of these phones to help sway my decision?

Does anyone know of any reliable alternatives to the Orange WiFi app (I fear there is none, phone IDs etc). Since getting my Galaxy Nexus, I am flying through data (although I have been able to 'negotiate' more than doubling my data to 3.25Gb, I fear this is not enough in a month).

Included in my tariff is BT Wifi, but the Orange app you need to use is 1. Rubbish and never connects, 2. Visually retarded with a hideous bright orange notification.

How do you go through that much data on a phone! Does BT not have a wifi locaterI app.

How do you go through that much data on a phone! Does BT not have a wifi locaterI app.

I've recently got myself a Galaxy Nexus and can't put it down! I tend to occupy my breaks at work with YouTube videos, so thats probably the bulk of data. Most stuff, music etc is pinned to the phone.

BY do have a WiFi finder app, but this requires you to manually login - the orange app automatically logs you in - or at least thats the principle, it rarely works.

Edited by david.dakota

Ah right I wasn't really aware of how it works sounds a good premise if it were to actually work properly. Same with all phone company apps. Crap.