NEurope
david.dakota

The Android Thread

The Ace 2 is a good little phone. You may have trouble with the heavier 3D games, but there aren't many good 3D mobile games anyway.

The Galaxy Ace 2 should be getting Jelly Bean (OS 4.1.1) shortly, as far as i know, so that's nice.

Thanks for the heads-up. I duckduckgo:ed it and it does seem that an upgrade will be rolled out for Samsung phones soon(ish):

GALAXY Tab 2 7.0 & 10.1, GALAXY Note 10.1, GALAXY SII, GALAXY Note, GALAXY Tab 7.0 Plus, GALAXY S Advance, GALAXY SII LTE, GALAXY Music, GALAXY Chat, GALAXY Ace 2, GALAXY Beam, GALAXY Ace Plus, GALAXY mini II and GALAXY S DUOS.

Okay guys i've come to the dark side (or is that light side) from iOS to android!

And so far i'm actually loving it, things are places that make sense in the menu's...

However i am having issues getting stuff from my iphone to my Galaxy S3

I've got an app thats linked with my iCloud account and now all my contacts seem to be there, but i was wondering how do you copy contacts?

I want to copy all the stuff from this icloud account to my phone, or the gmail account, i want to do this mainly because i don't trust apple to keep my account open especially if i start to use itunes less and less.

Also suggestions on widgets and apps?

I see above theme hospital mentioned so that i'll get, but what else?

What are the alternatives to the itunes store on Android? So i can download music/films/tv

What are the alternatives to the itunes store on Android? So i can download music/films/tv

http://play.google.com/

Browse on the web (or on your phone, obviously) and have it pushed to your devices.

Suck it App Store :p

My Nexus S was being really slow and the battery would die very quickly. But then I did a factory reset and it's working like brand new, and the battery lasts for as long as it used to when it was good. Also, because all my apps and contacts are on my google account, it was easy to get everything back.

My Nexus S was being really slow and the battery would die very quickly. But then I did a factory reset and it's working like brand new, and the battery lasts for as long as it used to when it was good. Also, because all my apps and contacts are on my google account, it was easy to get everything back.

I still had my battery drain problem I posted before, factory reset didn't help either was still dropping to around 70 - 75% overnight. I disabled some of the Google apps from syncing and turned off Google Now, and also signed out of Google Talk which I didn't know I was signed into. Had 88% left when I checked this morning. Do you get similar battery drops overnight?

I recommend that you change to Chrome. Especially if you use chrome on a computer.

I would second that recommendation, especially since it syncs your bookmarks with your device and desktop so you don't have to create them again, and it fills in passwords and such that you have saved on your computer.

Word. Chrome is amazing. It also syncs open tabs that you have on your pc, so you can switch to your phone 'just like that'.

Sorry i don't know where that Tommy Cooper impression came from.

Chrome is a nice, speedy browser indeed. Firefox users who are used to using the excellent 'keyword' feature for bookmark shortcuts can do the same in Chrome. Here's a little tutorial.

So i could emulate an android emulating a snes to play Super Mario world?

joking aside, some apps could be interesting to use on the PC, especially if you can sync between it and an android device (although lots seem to do this already from my initial investigations)

had a mini adventure last night, well i say adventure but i really mean ballache

as i just got my micro SD from play, i wanted to transfer the stuff i had to it, easy enough transferring music/pictures/video's etc but then i wanted to do it with my apps.

it seems you can't do this on an S3 as Samsung lock it out as they provide huge memory and are trying to tie purchases to devices rather than SD cards you can share.... (although rooting which i've just learned about can bypass this)

so i tried a few apps in my tech blindness, then installed the android dev kit and altered using dos the permissions for install location.

it did nothing so i assumed it didn't work. and went about my business untill i found certain apps i wanted to download wouldn't i kept getting a memory full error (had 9gb internal and 29gb externalSD)

after much faffing about i went back and altered the permissions back and it worked again....

I need to research more before i blindly fiddle with these things.

But still loving android, sooooooo much better than iOS!

iOS is like when your on a public/work pc, it can do lots of things, looks pretty and will work most things, but you are never in control, someone does it all for you and eventually you run into some dick move that blocks or restricts something

Android is like your home PC, you control it, it works the same as a above only better and if you find a restriction you remove it, but you can also fuck up and screw it! as i found out

Edited by Agent Gibbs

This is interesting: http://bluestacks.com/

It's an Android App Player that runs within Windows or Mac OS.

What exactly is there that you would want to run on your PC, that you can't already do in some form?

The only thing I can think of is games, but most of them are pretty rubbish/wouldn't work without touchscreen/are already on the PC.

It would be rude not to. Broken Sword is one of my favourite point-and-click adventures of all time and I'm sure the Android version will be enjoyable too. Can't believe all the great games/applications available on Google Play, especially the 25 cents offers running at the moment. Brilliant.

Horn and the Dark Knight are worthwhile purchases too. Usually both are around £5+

Seems a little old hat compared to all the Jelly Bean goodness flying about, but my Xoom 2 has finally been upgraded to ICS - and what a difference it makes! Some of the earlier Android tabs get a bad rap, but I've always been relatively impressed with my Xoom 2, despite a few niggles; however ICS really lifts the device. The aesthetics are very pleasing and its great to be able to hide and disable some of the built-in apps like Evernote. Well impressed; its still not up to Nexus 7 smoothness, but since the Nexus 7 is not a Nexus 10, I think I have a great compromise between screen size and software.

Atooma (http://www.atooma.com/) looks pretty sweet. You can automate tasks based on a "if this, do that" logic.

You can do stuff like set WiFi on when home etc. Going to try and get it to switch my phone on silent when at work and off again when I leave, but not sure about the logic of it finding out where I am (as I don't tend to leave 3G on). Thought I'd just have it come on when I leave home...but then how would it know I've left home if the 3G isn't on.

Anyway, going to play around with it. Not at work until Monday though.