NEurope
david.dakota

The Android Thread

I love my Orange San Fran which I got for £70 from Very with a £30 off first time customer code about 12 months back. Rocking a 2.3 custom ROM on it from modaco. Lots of work happing to get ICS running on it too... Love my San Fran considering how much it cost...

Here's a quick one I've wondered for a while,

The HTC Desire HD has the option for usb tethering when connected(sharing phone's internet with the pc), but I tried once on my PC and it wouldn't work due to lack of drivers etc. What does one need to make it work? I'm not actually likely to do it, as I'm not supposed to, but it'd be handy to know if I'm ever in a pinch for internets.

Google Chrome is now on the Market for Ice Cream Sandwich devices.

You fail to mention how incredibly awesome it looks.

Cannot wait for the Galaxy S2 upgrade to ICS.

Edited by Ashley

Quite a few HTC Phones to get the ICS update, the Sensastions, the Desire S and hd and a few more as well, glad to see HTC are doing it for the Desire S

One of the Sensations is before the end of March, the other Sensation will be April, and the rest "later in the year".

Although I'm sure, once the Sensation one is out, the rest will have fully-working ICS roms shortly after (atm various things don't work - some ICS roms for the DHD don't even have a working microphone...which is rather important on a phone).

Edit: I re-read my post and it looks like I'm talking about a Dial Home Device.

Edited by Cube

Does your PC not have WiFi? If so, the WiFi tether is much better.

I do not, as it happens. Though it'd just be nice for anywhere that I need quick internet access on a pc/laptop and don't have it. My wifi hotspot works fine, as I used it to do my 3DS once.

Also I now have another issue, I'd bought an SD card from play.com just before Xmas, yesterday connected it to my PC and my phone to the PC, copied the entirety of the old to the new, just tried swapping them over and my Desire HD says the SD card is damaged? Tried it again in my PC, it sees it fine.

the DHD don't even have a working microphone

Edit: I re-read my post and it looks like I'm talking about a Dial Home Device.

Well it's true. The Dial home device doesn't have a working microphone, and that would have been handy. Instead they had to rely on their radios.

Some Android related news. And a few thoughts from me.

Sony is rumoured to be considering dropping Android in favour of Vita OS for its mobile division.

With Androids momentum still strong its hard to see any company seriously cutting its links with the OS. Quite likely, Sony's mobile division will skin Android with a Vita stylings and embedded SEN services.

Googles purchase of Motorola is given the thumbs up the the EU

With any luck we could be seeing the end of the rotten patent disputes in the communications market; Google has already indicated that it will honour Motorola's current licensing agreements and that could encourage cross licensing agreements between Google/Android/Motorola and Microsoft and Apple ( I assume if patents are licensed to Android, holders cannot sue Samsung etc when using Android OS).

Well, Sony haven't exactly done anything to make themselves stand out in the Android market. I don't even know what any of their recent phones are. Doing their own OS would make themselves different, and therefore probably get them more noticed.

If Sony do their own OS I can see them pulling a Blackberry and using the same (I don't know the correct word for this...runtime environment or something?) as Android, making it incredibly easy to port over apps from Android. Actually, with the PlayStation Suite plans - which is essentially an app store for games that ran on both Android and Vita - I'm fairly sure that the Vita already has this part somewhere in it's OS.

It would also allow them for much better integration of the "SEN" (which could be the reasoning behind changing the name from PSN).

Still, I think it's more that "Sony aren't doing anything interesting with Android" than anything else.

I've just heard an interesting take on the recent patent win Apple had over Motorola over the "Slide to Unlock".

Due to the patent, it only covers when it uses a pre-determined path. Which means that it doesn't apply to Android 4.0 (the unlock "circle" can be moved about freely). Which means that Apple are effectively forcing Motorola to update all their phones to Android 4.0.

Btw HTC is rolling out Ice Cream Sandwich to some sensation users in Europe. Even if you don't get it, you'll have a decent ROM you could put on sometime soon. There's a decent Sensation XE ICS ROM out there that you can also put on Sensation already.

The One X does look impressive and, amusingly the processor is incompatible with the US networks do over there it'll be downgraded to a dual-core.

Yes I think that is correct Platty, Which is a shame, but 32gb is pretty beefy.

Alot of people with hands on the one x have said it's the phone they are most looking forward to, although I don't think the S3 has been shown yet?

Good to see HTC reducing the amount of phones they are producing, it was getting crazy at one point, I still don't understand the difference between the sensations!!

Yeah 32GB is more than enough for me. Leaning towards the One X.

The SIII been delayed again. Rumour is that Samsung are going to hold their own conference to showcase the phone end of March. I'm due an upgrade in May so it's looking like the One X unless the SIII is amazing and out May/June time.

I believe the Samsung Galaxy S2.5 (or S2 Plus or S2S) is due before the S3 anyway.

Sensation XL: Style over substance

Sensation XE: Substance over style.

They're actually very different phones.

Personally, I really like the HTC One V. Reminds me of the Hero.

With the Nexus you'll quickly get the latest versions of Android when they're released. That's a big plus for it.

Thinking about it realistically (rather than "ooh, this is better"), the Galaxy Nexus is perfectly fast, and likely will be for the next few years.

If you're not interested in mobile gaming (in particular 3D graphics) then I don't really think better phones are actually needed. I think when I can choose a new one I won't be picking a top-of-the-range one. They don't stay top-of-the-range for long anyway.

I'm eyeing up the one s. Has a pretty good rig inside and i dont need it for gaming.