NEurope
david.dakota

The Android Thread

Yo MadDog I'm really happy for you and Imma let you finish, but your Hayley Williams avatar was one of the best avatars of all time. OF ALL TIME.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS_7CxFfagztfJQhBWejXpii7YTkO1-1Zj-S0VXSZzKdQACi590&t=1

Which one? I've had a few. :p

My Facebook app constantly comes up with messages it doesn't want to show me and when I try to go to it via the notification it doesn't change screen >_>

I have that same problem, it's frustrating. The app is pure shit now, my news feed is just a non stop refreshing white screen. Only using the browser now.

I sometimes use Friendcaster - it is a pretty good client.

Hey there. What's the best compromise of price and size on and android phone? I want it to be as small as possible and under 150£, but still a good enough phone. My iPhone's too big for summer clothes! :heh:

The HTC Wildfire would possibly a good choice for that. Another good cheap Android phone is the Orange San Francisco (after unlocking/rooting).

Hey there. What's the best compromise of price and size on and android phone? I want it to be as small as possible and under 150£, but still a good enough phone. My iPhone's too big for summer clothes! :heh:

http://threestore.three.co.uk/payg/default.aspx?HTC=1

Wildfire S for £149.99, was very close to buying this phone before I found an awesome deal for the Desire S on eBay.

The keyboard app SwiftKey X is free on the Amazon Appstore today. From using it a small amount it is brilliant. It seems to try and guess what word you plan on using next. It's slightly creepy.

For those who know, i am using a Nokia at the moment. Yes, throw your critisizms my way.

Deciding to make a jump to a smartphone. My only decision is what, a Windows phone or a Android??. I'm leaning more towards an Android at the moment, more at the Desire S HTC. Anyone have any ideas/phones etc to recommend for a first-timer.

Anyone know a workaround for the Desire limited memory? Seems most of my apps are phone only and it's becoming a right pain in the arse. I don't even know what's taking up a bunch of the space- the apps alone don't add up.

Tried clearing the cache of apps (such as any news readers)? Tends to sort mine out.

Hi folks, cheers for the tips on the MicroSD card a while back, it really did help! Sorry for not replying sooner. However, I'm stuck with a major problem...

A few weeks back, the screen on my HTC Desire was smashed when I dropped it (after some idiot ran into me by accident.) It's now impossible to use, as the screen is completely messed up. I'm now stuck with an ancient Nokia.

I have third party insurance with a company called Life Style Group, which is part of an extra feature of my bank account. I contacted them about the issue, but because I didn't contact them within 48 hours of the incident (one of thier bullshit "policies"), they have declined my claim. I never even knew about this stupid policy, as I never got the welcome pack! To add more insult to injury, they also declined an appeal and I have no insurance with my network provider.

What should I do? I'm too poor to afford a new phone. Thanks if anyone can help!

Have to admit, the HTC Wildfire S is one damn good phone. A great phone for anyone new to the Android Market. Only been using it for around a week, and it is the best phone i've had in a long time.

Those on Nokia still, i recommend getting this phone.

Anyone know a workaround for the Desire limited memory? Seems most of my apps are phone only and it's becoming a right pain in the arse. I don't even know what's taking up a bunch of the space- the apps alone don't add up.

Root and install a rom that supports A2SD (not to be confused with apps2sd)

I've been using this gingerbread based rom: http://leedroid.com/bravo-home/

With A2SD I've got an extra 499MB of internal storage which I'm hoping to bump up when I upgrade to a 32GB card.

Yeah I'm back mofo's

Will it give me any beef with apps or anything? And, more importantly, is it reversible? I don't want a situation like jailbreaking where an update could brick my warranty voided handset.

If you jailbreak an iPhone, an update restores the phone to its normal state, btw.

In that guide, step 6 covers having a backup of your stock rom so you've got nothing to worry about.

Will it give me any beef with apps or anything? And, more importantly, is it reversible? I don't want a situation like jailbreaking where an update could brick my warranty voided handset.

First of all technically your warranty is voided. But it also happens to be very easy to undo. Not as easy as just syncing with itunes or whatever you have to do with IOS, but possible. I think all you'd have to do it flash the stock splash screen, whether the HTC default or carrier custom one. The reason for this is that the rooting process will possibly change your boot splash screen (only if you S-OFF which you'll see in the tutorial I don't think it's really needed so you could skip that if you want).

Then you would flash a rom upgrade utility to turn your phone back to stock. http://android.modaco.com/topic/308058-stock-htc-desire-roms/

Simples.

As Shorty has said the guide also talks you through backing up the stock rom beforehand. It will however be rooted but I believe running an OTA on that rom will return you back to being unrooted.

Also purchase mybackup pro from the market. It will allow you to backup your apps and data, and will become even more useful once you've rooted.

Edited by Ten10

Even though I've not even started my job I'm considering getting myself an Android tablet for Christmas if I can afford it.

Anyone know a good place to keep updated with news? The Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 looks nice but of course Apple had to have a hissy fit. Anyway Ice Cream Sandwich devices are rumoured to be out in October but just curious as to where to go to tease myself with things I can't afford.

For those who know, i am using a Nokia at the moment. Yes, throw your critisizms my way.

Deciding to make a jump to a smartphone. My only decision is what, a Windows phone or a Android??. I'm leaning more towards an Android at the moment, more at the Desire S HTC. Anyone have any ideas/phones etc to recommend for a first-timer.

Meego :p

[Nokia N9]

It actually seems to be quite good, and you’ll have a pretty unique phone. It’s just rolling out in Europe, I believe you can buy it in a month.