NEurope
david.dakota

The Android Thread

My colleague has done it, he's just put stock gingerbread on with a launcher similar to HTC Sense's, I believe.

I've had a few different ROMs on my Desire HD.

What sort of backup did you do before switching over???

Just a standard Nandroid backup via ROM Manager.

ITV have released an official ITV Player app. Annoyingly, like the BBC iPlayer, it requires WiFi to play anything.

As in the bandwidth is massive or it's an app restriction? I'm sure I've read about an app that lets you use your 3G as pretend wifi to get around the latter issue.

As in the bandwidth is massive or it's an app restriction? I'm sure I've read about an app that lets you use your 3G as pretend wifi to get around the latter issue.

It's an app restriction.

I'll have to look for that app. Due to my contract I rarely use WiFi. In fact, my home broadband can be so temperamental at times that I often use my laptop through my phone's internet connection.

I just looked for it and it seems my mind has mixed something up - I was thinking of My3G (an iOS app for jailbroken iphones).

I can't find anything similar for Android. Sorry to raise hopes!

Just got an email saying Peggle is free on Amazon App Store today. Get it if you can!

Don't be afraid just follow this guide and everything will be happy.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1016084

Just want to add if your decide to partition your SD card you might want to back it up for good measure.

That's what I read this morning which gave me ideas about rooting.

Is this S-Off thing necessary? Some places seem to advise it, some don't. I don't really want that weird start up screen.

I don't really want that weird start up screen.

The "weird start up screen" I think you're referring to is the one you see when you press a certain button combination when you turn the phone on. If you turn the phone on normally you'll get the bootscreen that is with the ROM of the phone.

Just got an email saying Peggle is free on Amazon App Store today. Get it if you can!

Peggle is awesome.

That's what I read this morning which gave me ideas about rooting.

Is this S-Off thing necessary? Some places seem to advise it, some don't. I don't really want that weird start up screen.

Do you mean this one?

alpharev-logo.png

Because you can change it back. In fact you can change it to whatever you want.

You can have root without s-off but you can't really do much with it. For example you couldn't put a different ROM on there.

Cheers :) I've been reading that Gingerbread for Desire may be available this week, but am downloading all the root stuff just in case it doesn't. All this HBOOT malarkey sounds really confusing but I think I understand it!

I think I've miss quoted a few things. It seems that you can flash some roms without s-off but roms where you may need to modify the system partitions (internal memory for the android system) things start to go down hill. Personally I would just s-off it's not a big deal and the changes it makes can easily be fixed.

Well the original desire is reaching EOL so stores will probably look to move that stock as free handsets. The Desire S might see a fall in price band so instead of free on a £35 a month or £30 a month you might see it on a £25.

Right, ok. I'm due an upgrade right now and I'm using a really frustrating HTC Magic device.

The Blackberry Bold 9900 looks very interesting and is out in August.

Oh my aim is to buy a phone outright as well in order to keep my monthly costs low.

Says you have to be in America... how do you get around that????

http://www.fakenamegenerator.com/

I think there's a way to buy apps, but if you're just after the free ones then all you need to to is create a new email address and enter those details (this includes setting up a credit card with the details provided) on Amazon.com.

Right, ok. I'm due an upgrade right now and I'm using a really frustrating HTC Magic device.

The Blackberry Bold 9900 looks very interesting and is out in August.

Oh my aim is to buy a phone outright as well in order to keep my monthly costs low.

Are BlackBerry doing much these days? I jumped ship from them at the end of last year as the OS was simply not going anywhere. I'm hoping they will have sorted it out by the time my current contract is up so I can get back to using those lovely keyboards.

Are BlackBerry doing much these days? I jumped ship from them at the end of last year as the OS was simply not going anywhere. I'm hoping they will have sorted it out by the time my current contract is up so I can get back to using those lovely keyboards.

Stocks are down.

Market share is down.

US mind share is down

Things are on the up in Asia, BB is still down with the kids in Europe.

Says you have to be in America... how do you get around that????

Make a fake American account on Amazon.com, set all the billing address as a real American address and set it up as your 1-click option. Google Paypal's test card details for a credit card. Then you can sign into the Amazon app with that account and get the free apps :D

Also, if you try to pay for an app with that account, it will fail, but then you'll get an email saying "please try again or select an alternative payment method". Do that and you can buy apps that have only been released in the US, such as the awesome Plants vs Zombies.

Got it. It's OK.
No waaay, it's better than OK! Wait until you're trying to beat the harder levels or all the challenges, it's super addictive.

Backup your apps + their data using my backup pro or Titanium backup. Use it to back up your apps+ their data (saved progress etc won't be lost) backup your settings and then back up your rom before you flash a new one.

Just installed MIUI on my desire, nice clean rom will take me a while to get used to it but I like it so far.

Stocks are down.

Market share is down.

US mind share is down

Things are on the up in Asia, BB is still down with the kids in Europe.

I saw the image of the Bold 9900 and it looked beautifully designed, September is a long way away. 24 month warranty looks attractive, on top of its attractiveness.

If it can browse fast, use google maps, timer/interval timer app, voice recorder and spell-check i'm interested, otherwise it's the Desire S sim-free in a month or so's time.

I saw the image of the Bold 9900 and it looked beautifully designed, September is a long way away. 24 month warranty looks attractive, on top of its attractiveness.

If it can browse fast, use google maps, timer/interval timer app, voice recorder and spell-check i'm interested, otherwise it's the Desire S sim-free in a month or so's time.

Google maps as in navigation? If so it's not gonna happen. Also I'm sure BB must have a timer /stopwatch app in their app world. As for spell checking not too sure. Can't say I've used them before. But looking at the contents of my brother's blackberry messenger probably not.

BB does have a spell checker, the line that appears under a word, give it a click, it will help you spell...I was gonna hang on for the Bold 9900 but plumped for the desire S instead, having great fun with it.