NEurope
david.dakota

The Android Thread

I just saved a bookmark for hotmail mobile on my home screen. Works really well and the mobile web version of hotmail is pretty good anyway.

The Active sync settings doesn't work on the original HTC desire but perhaps HTC have fixed it for the desire S. I currently use pop for my hotmail on my desire and I've noticed that in hotmail under the deleted items folder there is a sub folder called pop which contains all the deleted emails from a pop client. That is if you have the delete mail on server option checked under settings.

Bad news HTC desire (not hd) owners. We won't be eating any gingerbread for the foreseeable future.

Our engineering teams have been working hard for the past few months to find a way to bring Gingerbread to the HTC Desire without compromising the HTC Sense experience you’ve come to expect from our phones. However, we’re sorry to announce that we’ve been forced to accept there isn’t enough memory to allow us both to bring Gingerbread and keep the HTC Sense experience on the HTC Desire. We’re sincerely sorry for the disappointment that this news may bring to some of you.

However, we’re sorry to announce that we’ve been forced to accept there isn’t enough memory to allow us both to bring Gingerbread and keep the HTC Sense experience on the HTC Desire.

But there is enough memory to run Gingerbread and HTC Sense. There's even enough for Gingerbread and the new HTC Sense 3.0. I'm just guessing that HTC aren't as good at optimising as the guys who make custom ROMs.

So, the HTC Sensation or the Samsung Galaxy S II. Which one do I chose?

I like Sense, but I've heard the hardware is a tad better in the Galaxy S II. I'm not too confident about custom ROMs, especially on a brand-spanking new phone. Bloody decisions, help! Which one should I get?

(Or take a gamble and try a new Windows phone?)

I'd say that the Samsung Galaxy S2 edges over the Sensation. If you don't like the TouchWiz then you can always replace it - LauncherPro Plus is a good alternative to Sense.

Edit: Although personally I would still go with the Sensation.

Well I guess it's time to root and flash my desire. Thinking of putting this rom on there:

I'd say that the Samsung Galaxy S2 edges over the Sensation. If you don't like the TouchWiz then you can always replace it - LauncherPro Plus is a good alternative to Sense.

Edit: Although personally I would still go with the Sensation.

Well, I've spent a good chunk of the last week reading about both phones, looking at reviews and videos to see speeds, and I'm now even more confused than I was. I'm leaning towards the Sensation because it's (a)familiar and (b)Samsung's smartphones look like cheap iPhone knock-off's.

I guess my best bet is to go into a phone shop and ask to play around with both. In the end, I guess I'll just flip a coin...

As a big HTC fan I'd say GS2. The Galaxy has better internals. The sensation really only has a better housing and resolution screen.

Don't know if I should be happy or annoyed:

Contrary to what we said earlier, we are going to bring Gingerbread to HTC Desire.

Somehow the desire magically gets enough ROM to support it.

Edited by Ten10
Automerged Doublepost

What's Gingerbread?

Serious question?

gingy-1.jpg

Provided it is a serious question gingerbread is the latest version of the Android OS. Next up is ice cream sandwich. Probably after that Jello rather than Jelly.

What's Gingerbread?

Since the third release of Android they've been named after desserts:

Cupcake

Donut

Eclair

Froyo

Gingerbread

Honeycomb

Ice Cream Sandwich

If you can't wait for gingerbread on the Desire (or think it might never happen) I've heard miui with Launcher Pro Plus is a close second to having Gingerbread and Sense.

Been playing with Gingerbread and HTC Sense on the Desire S though, definitely a stellar combination.

Edited by Shorty

Captain Falcon Tell (see what I did there?) me today that Gingerbread is now apparently coming to Desire after all.

Been playing with Gingerbread and HTC Sense on the Desire S though, definitely a stellar combination.

Have you got the Sense 3 lockscreen? The four shortcuts are surprisingly handy.

It seems that HTC will be removing some services to get gingerbread on the desire. Perhaps we'll be losing friend stream and maybe peep. The default apps function better and currently HTC's implementation is broken for twitter.

Ignore what it says in the description or pictures. There is a tiny selection of things to watch. None of what I've even heard of.

I've actually not had any problems myself. Due to licensing some of the more well know films aren't yet available. But for USA citizens / Anyone who can set a proxy there's films like bad boys, Ghostbusters, 88 Minutes, Revolver list goes on.

As for the poor reviews, as with things like youtube and Iplayer the performance is greatly dependent on your connection. As I've said no problems here but I'm just nostalgic for samurai x.

As it looks like the Desire will be getting Gingerbread, any ideas on when O2 are going to release it?

By the way that crackle is awesome. Works amazingly via Wifi. Was just watching Idle Hands. :D

Edited by Platty

Hey guys,

Any chance of a HTC Desire S price drop by August time?

Well the original desire is reaching EOL so stores will probably look to move that stock as free handsets. The Desire S might see a fall in price band so instead of free on a £35 a month or £30 a month you might see it on a £25.

As it looks like the Desire will be getting Gingerbread, any ideas on when O2 are going to release it?

By the way that crackle is awesome. Works amazingly via Wifi. Was just watching Idle Hands. :D

In regards to gingerbread despite HTC now looking to bring gingerbread to it the second hurdle to get over is the carriers. Unfortunately now that the desire is EOL some carriers might not be bothered to bring it over.

You can still root and flash a gingerbread Rom on there instead if it comes to that.

Glad to see someone appreciates my app recommendation.

Also anyone who can't decide on their next phone GSM Arena have done another well put together review, pitting the Sensation vs. Galaxy SII and the Optimus X2:

http://www.gsmarena.com/htc_sensation_vs_galaxy_sii_vs_optimus_2x-review-608.php

Edited by Ten10
Somehow all my text got quoted when I added a review

Has anyone here actually rooted/installed a custom ROM on their Desire?

Kinda feel like having a go while waiting for the official update for Gingerbread.

Has anyone here actually rooted/installed a custom ROM on their Desire?

I've had a few different ROMs on my Desire HD.