NEurope
david.dakota

The Android Thread

Are you on Pay as you go or contract?

Ive read mixed reports on Pay as you go Dolphin. Some say that the free internet is only for facebook/bebo/myspace but some say its for all sites.

Unlocked and on pay as you go with T-Mobile, but reading up on it Vodafone seem to be real good these days for PAYG.

Unlocking the phone is easy and free. Rooting the phone is easy and free. Installing custom ROMs is easy and free.

Sometimes the build feels cheap. (Volume & power buttons are a bit plasticy.)

I've had a couple of friends with dodgy ones that needed replacing. (Not good if it were to break after you'd put on a custom ROM.)

Camera is poor quality in low light.

THE most annoying thing is that the WIFI doesn't automatically reconnect after the phone has been in sleep mode. It's just a matter of installing an app called "blade wifi fix," but that's just not as smooth as it should be. It takes about 15 seconds to reconnect to my wifi after sleep. Not good for someone impatient. 3G is instantaneous though.

The processor is "only" 600MHz so it's not as quick as other nice phones. Most things run smoothly but some stuff struggles. (E.g. Angry Birds is playable but irritating as there is significant slowdown in places.)

Facebook, twitter, browser are all smooth.

Flash is not supported, even on Froyo.

/flowofthought

I'm not sure if this is the correct thread, sorry if it isn't mods, feel free to move it if it is. :heh:

My HTC Desire's battery is starting to get weak; it runs-down to half full after only a short ammount of internet usage. Plus I like to use it as a music player these days, as it's easier than carrying tons of different items with me (which is why I'm selling my Archos 5 for £120 on the bargains board [/shameless plug].)

I've found a battery replacement that boasts double the battery life of the standard battery. However, I don't know wether to trust it or not. Here's the link: http://morpethmobiles.co.uk/extended-battery-replacement-for-htc-desire-2400mah.asp

Also, I've decided to get a bigger memory card for my music. I've heard the Desire supports a maximum of 32GB when it comes to MicroSD cards, am I correct? If so, would something like this do? http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SanDisk-32GB-micro-sd-/220743166465?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_PDAsAccessories_MemoryCards&hash=item3365516a01

Thanks if anyone can help...

Also, I've decided to get a bigger memory card for my music. I've heard the Desire supports a maximum of 32GB when it comes to MicroSD cards, am I correct? If so, would something like this do? http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SanDisk-32GB-micro-sd-/220743166465?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_PDAsAccessories_MemoryCards&hash=item3365516a01

Ask him for a better photo of the actual card so you can see what grade it is.

Also, the bigger battery will make your phone massive as, well, it's bigger.

Also, the bigger battery will make your phone massive as, well, it's bigger.

I don't mind, as long as I can use my phone longer, lol!

There are a lot of fake cards being sold on ebay. I would advise you to try elsewhere for a micro sd card.

It may be worth looking at the following guide: http://reviews.ebay.co.uk/FAKE-SanDisk-Ultra-Secure-Digital-Cards-Exposed_W0QQugidZ10000000001254881

Cheers for that, I could have made a serious mistake! Although the ebay stores are selling them for a bit more than I thought. Where's the cheapest I can get a 32gb microSD card?

The best price I can find is this (A class 4 should be fine). It's £53.50.

Do you really need 32GB? A 16GB one will cost you £19.95.

The site has loads of great reviews on Google.

I think you should try a 16GB card. I have one in my desire and currently have 5 films ripped from a dvd at around 1.3GB each. Tons of music, videos, photos and apps and I still have just under 5GB free.

Cheers. It'll be a few weeks before I get one anyway so we'll see which one I go with then.

The Wildfire is end of line now, being replaced by the ChaCha. This is going to be happening a lot over the next few months so high chance of grabbing a bargain on one of last year's higher end handsets (the Desire is already sub-£250 on PAYG!).

The ChaCha just looks ridiculously stupid, though.

ksp3.jpg

The Salsa seems more like a Wildfire replacement

The concept of a dedicated facebook button is rediculously stupid, just something for lazy people. I guess for HTC though it is a perfect opportunity to market the device to tweens as a "facebook phone."

Edited by Ten10
A typo was staring me in the face O_o

Is anyone else confused by the amount of different tablets being planned or that are already available for Android? Can anyone give me a quick summary of the ones that are available from companies that are trustworthy?

I've just looked at a review for the Xoom and it said that the functionality is a bit sub-par and the OS just doesn't seem ready. What's the deal? Is this the case for all Android tablets?

Similar question: what's the best android phone out there at the moment? It's hard to keep track. HTC Desire HD = too bulky.

What do you want from a phone? Keyboard? Excellent Camera? Large Screen (4 inches +)?

What do you want from a phone? Keyboard? Excellent Camera? Large Screen (4 inches +)?
A keyboard is a nice idea if it's not tacky and nothing's been sacrificed for it. I hear the Desire Z's doesn't feel that great. Screen doesn't need to be larger than the iPhone. Good camera with an LED flash would be nice.

It's not for me so it's hard to be too specific.

Edited by Shorty

I personally would wait a bit, as there are the new S versions of HTC phones, Sony Ericsson Arc/Pro... coming out in April and the Samsung Galaxy 2 coming out in May.

Would the keyboard be prefered in a blackberry style layout or slider?

Currently available as a semi blackberry style phone that comes to mind is the motorola flipout (low end device). http://www.gsmarena.com/motorola_flipout-3271.php

For a higher end device the milestone 2 if you can find one.

http://www.gsmarena.com/motorola_milestone_2-3495.php

I personally would wait a bit, as there are the new S versions of HTC phones, Sony Ericsson Arc/Pro... coming out in April and the Samsung Galaxy 2 coming out in May.

Well in all fairness the new HTC phones are a bit meh. Processor updated to the latest snapdragon model with the 205 adreno GPU, and a front facing camera with a slight ROM bumpage, nothing to write home about.

The galaxy S 2 however is something worth considering. Personally I'm waiting on the legendary HTC Pyramid.

Edited by Ten10

From what I have heard the flipout is awful, the best blackberry style qwerty keyboards will be the Motorola Pro or the HTC ChaCha...

There's the upcoming Galaxy Pro, but it's fairly low powered:

114711_galaxy580.jpg

I highly recommend that everyone checks out the game Cordy:

Controls are slightly awkward, but it's still pretty awesome. It's free, too.