NEurope
david.dakota

The Android Thread

I'll probably miss being able to see my listening habits.

Most music players on the Market, as well as Spotify, have the option to let last.fm spy on you.

Yes, they too can falsify results!

(okay I think it may have been my iPod but my figures are completed whacked).

The market (on a pc) never loads for me anymore. It did for the first few days but none nothing :(

1. I'd like to get the HTC Desire HD. Got a recommendation from a mate. He says it's a good smart phone (I'm going to try it myself in a couple of weeks). Anyone here who has it and can share his/her experience?

2. How do you pay on the android market? Is PayPal a possibility? I don't have a credit card so I need alternative paying methods.

HTC Desire HD will be surpassed by the HTC Incredible S in a few months time so it might be worth waiting for that hardware upgrade.

As for android market it's done through google checkout, which I actually don't like as you are charged in the app seller's currency (Don't know if this has changed) so if I buy a game for $.99 I get charged from my bank £1.50 conversion fee so my cheap 63p game has just cost me almost three times that amount. In the end I got a travel card and load it with cash for the market. They charge me about 10% of the final transaction.

HTC Desire HD will be surpassed by the HTC Incredible S in a few months time so it might be worth waiting for that hardware upgrade.

I'm not that into all the tech stuff but looking at htc.com and comparing the two there don't seem to be many differences. Am I missing something?

Hm, payment options sound shitty. :hmm:

If you follow this mentality you never end up buying a new phone :heh:

Well, Ten10 said HTC Incredible S will surpass HTC Desire HD so I was expecting some huge improvements but it seems they are rather minor.

Waiting 3-4 months for a release doesn't really seem worth it.

Well, Ten10 said HTC Incredible S will surpass HTC Desire HD so I was expecting some huge improvements but it seems they are rather minor.

Waiting 3-4 months for a release doesn't really seem worth it.

The smaller screen, slightly smaller internal memory and the images on the touch screen buttons rotating seem to be the only difference.

My Nexus S is great but I'm still waiting on bloody Vodafone to transfer my bloody number! It's been like half a week!

There is that but then buyer's remorse hurts, hard when you pick up a device and everyone starts talking about the next greatest and biggest a week after you put your money down.

As for the incredible S vs. Desire HD I'll 100% agree HTC is doing jack all in comparision to Samsung and Motorola in terms of pushing their second generation devices forward. Many people have likened HTC's S devices to be like what the iPhone 3gs was to the 3g. S as in speed but I think that is a moot point.

The Desire HD doesn't have a front facing camera so video calling is off whereas the Incredible S does. But that does come at a sacrifice of 0.3 inches. The phone is expected to launch next month which will likely bring the price of the older Desire HD down so if you want to save on a contract it might still be worth waiting a few days.

http://www.carphonewarehouse.com/news/coming-soon/htc-incredible-s

Don't know at this moment in time if any operators or stores in Germany have said when they are looking to launch it.

Edited by Ten10

The Desire HD doesn't have a front facing camera so video calling is off whereas the Incredible S does.

Don't really need video calling. I think I'll go for the Desire HD but I will wait at least a month because as you've said maybe the price will go down.

The Desire HD doesn't have a front facing camera so video calling is off whereas the Incredible S does.

I'm pretty sure that 99.9%+ of people will never use video calling.

Game Dev Story is addictive...very addictive.

This is true...very true.

It's actually a really fun game. There's alot more depth than you'd first think. Has anyone actually been able to develop a console yet?

It's actually a really fun game. There's alot more depth than you'd first think. Has anyone actually been able to develop a console yet?

I developed two consoles. A 64-bit Blu-Ray and then

one that you need five (or was it six?) hardware engineers for.

Considering getting the HTC Wildfire as I could use a new phone and havent yet had a smartphone. Dont have a lot of money to spend so it'd be a pay as you go, this is also why im not going for the Desire instead.

Anyone got one, possibly on pay as you go that could tell me a bit about it? The one I was looking at was Vodafone and from what I could read you got 300 texts and free internet usage for topping up a tenner a month.

EDIT: Im also now looking at the Orange San Francisco id anyone has one of those?

Edited by Happenstance

I have an orange san fran. I've talked about it a bit. I'm on it now otherwise I'd write more.

Love it, but there are issues.

Are you on Pay as you go or contract?

Ive read mixed reports on Pay as you go Dolphin. Some say that the free internet is only for facebook/bebo/myspace but some say its for all sites.

The Wildfire is a darn good phone for the price. My only faults are the screen size and resolution, but in fairness is more of a personal thing (my last couple of phones have had 4inch screens, and top resolution). I'm told having chubby fingers is a typing hindrance, but my chub-less digits caused no problems. And the Wildfires resolution is not unacceptably considering the price.

The Wildfire does outspec my own phone in places (the Sony Ericsson X10) - it runs Android 2.2 (with the ability to create a personal WiFi hotspot (I am SO envious of this feature) and the IR trackpad is a dream). The version I used was free of operator software, unlike my own X10 (which I keep meaning to root).

It runs Android 2.2 nicely with no noticeable lag out of the box. In my experience, Android phones can suffer when sloppy apps are installed - but if you download an app that hinders performance, let the developer know and remove it from the phone - best way in my opinion. You'll also find some of the more complex apps do show in Market (probably relating to the face the device runs 2.2) but will not perform well on the Wildfire - Angry Birds springs to mind (its seriously choppy on the Wildfire, to the point of being unplayable); these complex apps simply shouldn't be available to download. If you remember its a budget phone and don't try to over burden it, it'll do you fine - ie, keep with the installed Google and HTC apps, with perhaps a handful of carefully chosen software from Market. If you're wanting a smartphone for gaming or some intense apps, the Wildfire is probably not the way to go.

It is a solid build, likely to withstand a bit of a battering (but don't try this!); and I think its a nice design too. It also comes with the worlds weirdest charger (rather than the cable being vertical out of the socket, its horizontal - not something you can slip behind the bedside cabinet with ease.

I'd definitely recommend it as long as you're not App Happy (downloading apps just for the sake of it); all Google's built in apps work brilliantly, as does HTC Sense. Its a great phone, and puts some premium phones in the shade in places (Grr, Sony Ericssons lack of upgrade).

Regardless of my comments above - or anyone elses - the best recommendation I can give is to try it yourself in store.

I have not had any experience of the San Francisco - but some reviews for you:

Electric Pig

TechRadar

I wont be filling it with many gaming apps anyway, at least not the bigger ones. I plan to keep using my iPod Touch for that. It'll mainly be for Internet usage when out of the house and probably small puzzlish gaming for when im bored.