NEurope
david.dakota

The Android Thread

I like it I'll probably pick up a honeycomb tablet at some point.

Also the next wave of high end androids are going to be beasts.

atrix-4g-att-01-05-2011.jpg

More power than my first laptop and PC combined.

Nice! The Samsung Infuse 4G and LG Optimus Black also look damn tasty - I just hope they get a UK release. Hell, I hope phone companies here pull their fingers out and give us 4G some time within the next two years...

samsung-infuse-4g-580x361.jpg

lg-black.jpg

My Desire is acting undesirably. Bluetoothing is a ballache. I can send from my laptop to it but not the other way around, it just says failed but my computer doesn't even ask me to confirm it.

Furthermore whenever I tick on bluetooth I then have to go in and make it discoverable and even then it only lasts 2 minutes. I'm sure its a security thing but its annoying nonetheless.

I don't think I've ever used bluetooth on a phone. I usually just email myself if I want to move a file onto my phone. Music Syncs over WiFi.

Yeah but switching WiFi on and then emailing myself...I dunno. I never end up deleting them so I have a lot of random emails in my inbox. Furthermore I want it actually saved on my phone.

Hmm Dropbox is great idea for syncing files. I don't use mine in that way so much. More than I can carry development work around with me from computer to computer without worrying about losing a flash drive. But if you want to help a brother out hit up my referral link ;)

http://db.tt/PNSwKss

On an Android related note I'm probably going to be picking up one of these at some point:

Motorola_XOOM.jpg

Also there have been some additional first look videos put out by Google, they pretty much just expand upon what was in the teaser video.

My girlfriend got a SE X10 Mini Pro the other day and it came with tons of crapware on it so I rooted it and got rid of all the junk that was on it, including google talk. Now I can't seem to download from the market, the download just hangs at download starting.

I've cleared the cache and restarted it but that doesn't do anything and when i've searched online I find that you need google talk?

Also i'm having problems finding apps on the market, fxcamera and epicurious result in market saying it can't find anything. I don't think they require 2.2 so i'm not sure whats wrong.

The x10 mini series is a really under performing set of handsets and unless you got it for a favourable price then it's not worth keeping. Now on to your problem.

It's not the end of the world but it might not be so easy to fix.

Links below are more likely targeted at the big brother x10 so might not work correctly. Also these resources are for android 2.1.

Link 1: http://androidforums.com/sony-ericsson-xperia-x10/220682-xperia-x10-google-talk-apks-please.html

Link 2: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=826849

Also as a last resort SE has management software on their website which may help:

http://www.sonyericsson.com/cws/support/phones/topic/updateserviceapplication/xperiax10minipro?cc=in&lc=en

Edited by Ten10

Yeah she got it for £15 for 2000 minutes, 5000 texts, 5000 3-3 minutes and 'unlimited internet'. Hopefully SE change their mind about upgrading it to 2.2 but thats unlikely.

Thanks for the help, I'll give it a shot.

Wow that is a really good deal, even if it were just a sim only thing.

Thanks, installing GTalk again worked. The standard SE launcher is pretty sluggish but I installed Zeam and it seems to be a lot better. I think I will stick with Zeam, at least untill Launcher Pro gets it's rewrite and Go Launcher is more mature.

I keep playing on it and its getting quite the distraction for revision but I am going to order a San Francisco and just pop in my sim card. I don't have internet on my contract though and its an extra £5 so i'll need to see how it is on just wi-fi.

Tune In Radio according to a google result.

Personally I stopped listening to radio when we saw in a new millennium.

So facebook contact sync isn't working, basically it has sent to the phone 44xxxxxxxx numbers instead of +44 or 0xx. Is there a fix for this?

Also the battery life is pretty poor, there are quite a few apps that are running in the background that just seem to not be doing anything, some are useless like a sony ericsson clock widget that runs even when it is not being used and there are useful ones like Skype on 3 but I don't see why that has to be on all the time.

I did buy the San Francisco yesterday, I am doing exams at the moment so I got it sent home but I should have it on thursday or friday, so I'm pretty excited. I just need to stop going on Modaco and get on with my revision.

If battery is poor then I would suggest checking Google/Facebook/Twitter sync times. I think the default for all three is 15 minutes.

Don't worry about background applications - if it isn't doing anything then it shouldn't be using any juice/RAM (this is an advantage of using Linux) - Task Killers will more than likely have a slightly negative effect on performance/battery life.

Are you signed in to Skype? If so, then sign out until you need it. And go into Facebook chat, click on the menu and select "go offline" (if you just back out then I believe it keeps you in Facebook chat).

I've just discovered that android has no support for proxies... Why is this not highlighted on all of those websites comparing iphone and android? It never even occurred to me that I wouldn't be able to connect to the networks in college. What makes it worse is there is a big thread on google's site asking why it isn't supported. 1275 comments full of people moaning, 3204 people who vote it as an issue, started back in 2008 and not one response from Google. I suppose I'll have to root now then...

Edited by heroicjanitor

My Uni network was proxy-tastic, yet my Hero never had a hitch connecting. Either I was unintentionally lucky, or you've missed something.

You got lucky then :p

Did you do anything special? I just google searched whether the hero had some magic way of doing this and no dice, and if it did I'm sure htc would have made the desire capable of it too. HTC responded and said it was an os issue, nothing to do with them.

Edited by heroicjanitor

After a quick look, this should give you the correct options:

chartkn.png

(Search the Market for "IP Manager" is you don't have Googles/Barcode Scanner)

I downloaded that and recognised the options it gave me, but I didn't think they had anything to do with a proxy. It asks for ip address, gateway, netmask and stuff, but I'm starting to think I could use the ip address of the proxy server itself(if I can find it). Does anyone know what the gateway, netmask etc means?

EDIT

Being in comp science I get to use a special network but they gave me a client thing to connect to it for me, with its many freedoms. I didn't think I could get my phone onto that(because they gave us a program to do it on my laptop) but I asked a few people and one of them showed me how to connect to that, so I don't need to do the proxy thing any more :) It's still surprising that it can't do it natively.

Edited by heroicjanitor
Automerged Doublepost

Got an Android (Samsung Galaxy S) at the beginning of December (and quite gutted they unveiled the Nexus S pretty much the day after I got mine in the post, but such is life) and probably my favourite phone so far. Really not a fan of Samsung's horribly shoddy TouchWiz 3.0 and would have much preferred the stock android, but apart from that it's pretty beautiful.

Shame the games on the market are miles behind those of the iPhone's. Got some greats like Angry Birds, SliceIt and Jet Car Stunts though. Really want Google to kick themselves into gear when it comes to games, it could just be so much better. The sheer amount of dross on the market is shameful as well, seriously Google - sort it out!

It has so much potential which is very exciting. I just wish they'd bloody hurry up and fulfil it already!

The PSP phone could shunt things along a bit gamewise.

Can you install a different launcher to hide TouchWiz? Or is TouchWiz that ingrained? I flit between Launcher Pro and Zeam.

I use Zeam which is really light and works a lot better, but TouchWiz goes beyond just being a Launcher. It's linked to hardware and drivers from what I've ascertained from a bit of reading up on it, so there are certain things I can't get rid of. But I deal. Waiting for Cyanogen Mod 7 more than anything. Then again might just keep it as it is, way safer.

Gameloft seem to be doing some quality looking games by the way, but seems that they're so money hungry to the point where NONE of them are available on the market as to avoid Google's 30% sales cut or whatever it is. Bloody ridiculous and very unsporting if you ask me. Especially as they're charging $5 a pop, so their loss is rather insignificant.

Tank Hero is pretty good. It's like the Tank game from Wii Play (the only good one). And it's free.