NEurope
david.dakota

The Android Thread

There is a distinct lack of Android love in the NE forums, with both iPhone and Windows 7 Mobile getting their own threads. So, lets start.

android-logo-white.jpg

The last few months have seen Android really take off, with HTC, Sony Ericsson, Samsung, Acer and Motorola - amongst others - jumping onto the Android bandwagon, and it has been predicted that Android could, by 2012, become the worlds 2nds most popular mobile after Symbian OS - more popular than iPhone. With Apples apparent by-proxy attack on Google (the Apple/HTC lawsuit), the next 12 months will certainly be interesting for the Android OS.

Widgets, apps, skins and hardware - this is our place to talk everything Android, Google's stunning smartphone OS. And for those unfamiliar with Android, here's a link to an overview.

I have a HTC Hero and it's a great phone. The seven homescreens and the widgets are perfect (especially the clock/weather) and stuff like the predictive text (I usually don't even look if I press the right keys on the keyboard - the phone usually works out what I'm trying to say) is great.

The Maps software is wonderful, too (I've upgraded my Hero to an unofficial 2.1 ROM - Open Source was a great move). Maps, proper directions, street view, navigation. I like how you can "play out" your journey, checking out what each junction actually looks like (due to street view integration).

I really hope that other mobile developers choose Android over the ancient/slow/dysfunctional Symbian OS.

Just got a HTC desire today, my first android phone and I'm loving it. Don't regret getting the phone. Don't regret the chosen platform. Only think I hate so far is the app store doesn't like my credit cards.

I've got a HTC Magic for quite some time now but when I first got the phone I found the software seriously lacking and the options menu is also somewhat decentralized. After downloading some stuff though it became really good and convenient.

I need an Nexus 1, shame that I can't get it over in OZ unless I import, did want an Motodroid for the keyboard but N1 is so much better, Vodafone picked it up for europe, so hopefully vofaOz will bring it over here, it was rumoured to be out in March/April but that was debunked =/

Yeah I found out yesterday when it eventually told me I needed to do it from my computer. Having much app store love now. Although a few applications haven't been cleared for the HTC desire yet.

Edited by Ten10
Grammar police

If you unsinstall an application within 24 hours of buying it then you will get your money back.

Google Checkout doesn't even take the money out of your bank account/credit card until after 24 hours (so you don't end up with loads of payments/refunds on your statement).

Just got a HTC desire today, my first android phone and I'm loving it. Don't regret getting the phone. Don't regret the chosen platform. Only think I hate so far is the app store doesn't like my credit cards.

holy fucking shit you have a desire

No shit you don't regret it, it's easily the best handset available currently

I've got a HTC Magic for quite some time now but when I first got the phone I found the software seriously lacking and the options menu is also somewhat decentralized. After downloading some stuff though it became really good and convenient.

I have a magic, you've done yourself a disservice if you haven't rooted it, and loaded the latest cyanogenmod and radio firmware

I have a magic, you've done yourself a disservice if you haven't rooted it, and loaded the latest cyanogenmod and radio firmware

I looked it up on the internet but don't really get what the benefits are, could you please fill me in?

Also can I still use the Android Market or are there compatibility issues?

holy fucking shit you have a desire

No shit you don't regret it, it's easily the best handset available currently

Oh yeah using it right now to do this post. This phone is awesome I've convinced someone else to get one. Showed them mine today and they can't wait. Transformers on this screen is better yes I repeat better than when I saw it in the cinema. I was grinning while watching it. Everyone needs to get one.

Edited by Ten10

I have a HTC Hero and it's a great phone. The seven homescreens and the widgets are perfect (especially the clock/weather) and stuff like the predictive text (I usually don't even look if I press the right keys on the keyboard - the phone usually works out what I'm trying to say) is great.

The Maps software is wonderful, too (I've upgraded my Hero to an unofficial 2.1 ROM - Open Source was a great move). Maps, proper directions, street view, navigation. I like how you can "play out" your journey, checking out what each junction actually looks like (due to street view integration).

I really hope that other mobile developers choose Android over the ancient/slow/dysfunctional Symbian OS.

How did you do this? I don't have the phone at the moment, but I've basically decided I want to get a HTC phone with Android asap. My budget (very) sadly is unlikely to stretch to a Desire and probably not to a Legend either, which I hear is also very good, so I'll probably have to get a hero. Not that this is a bad thing as I've heard they're good, but not as good as the other two.

Having read a little online it looks like Orange and TMobile customers will be getting updates for android 2.1 in the next couple of weeks, but I was just wondering, if I buy the phone in a month or so, will I be getting a handset with 2.1 installed? And if not, how do I go about downloading the upgrade so that I can use 2.1? Is it only available if I'm on Orange or TMobile? Sorry, I'm a total novice when it comes to both smartphones and Android.

It seems likely that a generic update will appear here if your phone isn't automatically updated. The instructions are on the website.

My method involves slightly buggy software and rooting the phone.

It looks like Android is going to be increasing massively during the next year.

There's loads of Android phones, as well as loads of Android Tablets due.

TVs with Android seem to be making an appearance, too. Which actually makes a lot of sense as it will enable WiFi streaming, YouTube, iPlayer, streaming services (like Netflix in the US), Web browsing, social media, playing media from a USB/SD card and other stuff without the need for any external hardware.

This time next year I fully expect Android to appear on fridges and toasters.

Yeah I was going to post that news earlier, but then became to lazy to copy and paste. Only the US so far. On a global scale I'm not too sure of the numbers. Then there is the multiple many carriers, manufacturers and models argument. But I think lots of people are warming up to android, and there have been some seriously show stopping devices.

Yeah but on the other hand how many Android enabled phones are there to iPhone OS enabled phones?

Of course iPhone has a larger market share - its been popular for 3 years now, while Android has only in the past year or so started to make headway into the market. But any other business encroaching on your market share is a concern to any exec - especially when your name is Steve Jobs (and you have a really big problem with Google and Android OS).

News:

Earlie this year, Apple issued patent infringement proceedings against HTC in an move seen as a proxy attack on Google and the Android OS (many of the alleged patent infringements involved processes deep in the Android OS). Today, Engadget reports that HTC have responded by issuing its own patent infringement procedings against Apple and its iPod, iPhone and iPad devices. Both sides are looking to ban eachothers devices through the US International Trade Commission.

From my understanding of the market, this can only be seen as a positive thing for the Android OS - most likely these cases will be resolved via cross licensing agreements; ensuring the Android OS can continue to flourish.

Silicon Valley > Eastenders.

Of course iPhone has a larger market share - its been popular for 3 years now, while Android has only in the past year or so started to make headway into the market. But any other business encroaching on your market share is a concern to any exec - especially when your name is Steve Jobs (and you have a really big problem with Google and Android OS).

My point was that there are hundreds of phones which has Android on them so its obviously going to outsell and OS which is only available on one phone.

Earlie this year, Apple issued patent infringement proceedings against HTC in an move seen as a proxy attack on Google and the Android OS (many of the alleged patent infringements involved processes deep in the Android OS). Today, Engadget reports that HTC have responded by issuing its own patent infringement procedings against Apple and its iPod, iPhone and iPad devices. Both sides are looking to ban eachothers devices through the US International Trade Commission.

From my understanding of the market, this can only be seen as a positive thing for the Android OS - most likely these cases will be resolved via cross licensing agreements; ensuring the Android OS can continue to flourish.

It's similar to Apple Vs Nokia Vs Apple. And in the case of HTC they'll probably get help from both Microsoft and Google as Apple are suing HTC over the Android and Windows Mobile parts of their phones.

It's a dirty tactic that Apple keeps trying - and the only thing they seem to have done so far it help raise awareness of HTC's phones.

Imagine if Nokia and HTC's devices got banned from the states. I actually hope it happens, it'd finally bring the flaws of the silly US patent system in to the limelight.

Imagine if Nokia and HTC's devices got banned from the states. I actually hope it happens, it'd finally bring the flaws of the silly US patent system in to the limelight.

No one will ever fix that system - its big business that puts people in power, and those people in power won't want to upset big business.

With the google I/O event going on at the moment there should be some good news for android. Yesterday was all about the web and chrome which was a very interesting keynote. Today is all about Android.

I'll be posting some android news from the event but, everyone who is attending google I/O gets a FREE HTC EVO :(

Watch the Live stream: http://www.youtube.com/googledevelopers

Top news regarding Android from Google I/O

Android browser now V8 powered

Google has just come out with the strident claim that the web browser that comes as part of Android 2.2, aka Froyo, is the world's fastest for mobile devices. Google's implemented the V8 JavaScript engine that's already made an appearance in its desktop Chrome browser, and the result has been somewhere in the vicinity of two to three times better JS performance relative to previous Android versions.

Also within their keynote it was stated that there are now 50,000 applications available for download on the Android Marketplace with 180,000 developers.

Android 2.2 - FROYO

Froyo has been developed with 5 key pillars in mind.

1. Speed - The android team have added a Just in time compiler. Apps now run 2-5x faster.

google-io-2010-2-0650-rm-eng.jpg

Consider the above image. Numbers are fps.

2. Enterprise - Android gets more business friendly with improved exchange support, along with 20 new enterprise features.

3. Services - Tethering as standard, push to phone features (laptop/ pc etc can send data to phone in a snap using chrome extensions) Wifi hotspot as standard, turn your phone into a wifi hotspot for devices.

4. Browser - 2-3x better JavaScript performance. Also there will be flash and air support built into the browser. (Can be disabled if needed)

5. Market - Apps can now run off the SD card (hallelujah) Update all icon for apps. Apps can now be updated all at once rather than individually. Also an auto update feature has been enabled. Application error reporting function has been added. Will help developers address errors faster. Can add comments much like when firefox crashes. Web app.

Apps can now be browsed using internet browser on a computer, purchased and then auto downloaded to your phone over the air.

Ability to stream music from your laptop / computer to your device, call it your own personal spotify. Also music can be sent to your device over wifi.

SDK for 2.2 is now live: http://developer.android.com/sdk/android-2.2.html

I'll be going out tonight but if anyone want to pick up where I left off / make corrections feel free.

Perhaps covering google tv and android integration.

Android 2.2 Official Video

Edited by Ten10