NEurope
david.dakota

The Android Thread

Yeah, I haven't had any problems either. Ok google never worked on UK English even before kit kat.

No problems for me so far. Only complaint about my phone in general is more to do with this bloody site and all the gifs being posted lately sucking up all my data for this month!

The other day I spent about 5 minutes trying to get my tablet to recognise the phrase "What is glossophobia" like it shows in the advert. No one in my house could get it to type the phrase properly. "What is Gloucester Phobia" being a popular one.

Got request to update nexus 7 2012 to KitKat. Restart stays on Google screen. Do a reset there is now no update available. Grrrrr

The other day I spent about 5 minutes trying to get my tablet to recognise the phrase "What is glossophobia" like it shows in the advert. No one in my house could get it to type the phrase properly. "What is Gloucester Phobia" being a popular one.

A rational fear.

I kept getting claustrophobia.

Oh yeah! I got that too. You think, just maybe, if you put that on your advert that people can actually trigger it.

Sideloaded 4.4.1 on my tablet last night. 10 minutes later 4.4.2 was out.

4.4.1 was out only out a couple of days.

Search Google Now for "let's go caroling" and you'll get a selection of songs to sing along to

eoduofD.png

I installed the Android L developer preview on my Nexus 5 yesterday. The new features are great. Touch and go is amazing (use NFC to restore apps/data/settings from a different device, there's a different option if your devices don't have NFC). Using it automatically triggered apps installed on my Nexus 4 to automatically download. Some people have reported it restored homescreen layouts but it didn't for me. Unfortunately it doesn't transfer all app data, it didn't transfer some of my game saves, as it needs the developers to opt in to the functionality. :( It added my work account without me needing to manually input it, aside from the password.

Some stuff takes getting used to, the new notifications bar, accessing quick menu requires you to swipe down twice. The app draw looks pretty bad with just a white background which is a shame because the rest of Material looks so nice. And 4 already looks so dated.

Unlocking the phone is done by swiping up. Swiping right opens the dialler and left the camera. I usually swipe right so I accidentally opened the dialler quite a few times already.

Liking it so far.

Lollipop looks awesome. I'm still undecided about the Nexus 6 due to the price, and I'm actually fine with what my Nexus 4 can do (especially as it's getting L).

My main problem with the 4 was my battery life recently, which has been awful for the past few months. However, I just contacted Google support and they're sending me a refurbished model as it's likely a hardware issue. So I'll see how that goes.

Yeah, I'm glad the Nexus 4 is getting Lollipop, might stick with it a little longer. Not too sure on the N6 like you. To be honest i'm not sure about the N9 but I still put a preorder down for it even though my N7 still runs great.

Mostly left my N5 on standby for the last 2 days and it's down to 65%. Although it's not set up fully or connected to my LG watch and only connected via wifi which is off during the night but I tend to lose 10 - 15% over night on my N4. Hoping Lolipop will improve that.

Switching users is a nice feature and is pretty quick. I like having notifications on the lock screen as well. Although I am debating turning them off. Can't wait to try smart unlock properly.

I'm also unsure about getting the 6, the premium design, stereo speakers do look great but (in my eyes) immediately loose the discrete, almost absent look of the Nexus 5, that's really my biggest concern. Had they mirrored the edge speakers of the Nexus 9 tablet and kept things all black, I'd be far happier. But then I ask myself if I'm niggling (because it's still not my perfect button-less phone).

With the Moto 360, this could be an expensive month :shakehead

Since having a Nexus 4, I've tried the Xperia Z, HTC One and M8, the LG G2 and the (revolting) S5 but keep coming back to Nexus, despite some camera shortcomings. Pure Android is too good to compromise with shitty skins. Lollipop looks incredible though I've refrained from installing the developer preview so far, avoid the bugs. Hopefully i'll not have to wait too long... 3 November, I keep reading.

Android 5 OTAs are rolling out. Factory images are out for everything but the Nexus 4... boo! Flashed my old Nexus 7 and my Nexus 5, will wait for the OTA for my Nexus 7, but the 4 was what I really wanted it for.

I flashed 5 to my 2012 nexus 7, jesus, before it ran like a dog, now it runs like a dead dog.

Flashed Lollipop to my Nexus 4 a few days ago. Really impressed with some of the changes (smart lock + NFC ring = awesome!) but the battery seems to be draining significantly faster. I hope it levels out again. There's also some weird things happening with the Moto 360. When connected the phone is supposed to be silent, and if I press the volume buttons it says the volume has been locked by Android wear, but when ever a notification/call happens it makes a sound! Hopefully that gets sorted out. I've found that I'm only using Tasker now to turn off Auto Synch over night when it comes to 'system' tasks.

Just got the OTA of Lollipop for my NVIDIA Shield Tablet so will see how that is.

I pre-ordered the Nexus 6 from Amazon this morning and still feel a bit ill for dropping so much money on a phone. I guess I have until December to think about it.

Update: The launcher is completely different on the Shield to the one on my Nexus 4. How does other people's Nexus 4 launchers look? Still black like KitKat? The one on the Shield looks like the Google Now Launcher, without the Google Now panel on the left.

Edited by V. Amoleo

I'm still plodding along with a Saumsung Galaxy S3 which is starting to be on its last legs. It kills USB cables after a few weeks off use and even with all the battery saving apps and settings I can find the battery only just lasts a day.

Been looking at either the Nexus 6 or the Note 4 as a replacement, I quite like the idea of the larger screen as I read a lot of scientific papers in PDF format so it would be easier on a large phone than my laptop. Will probs try and get a hands on in store somewhere first. What do people reckon will be the better of the two? Specs wise they look virtually identical, other than the Nexus having the clean version of Android.

Flashed Lollipop to my Nexus 4 a few days ago. Really impressed with some of the changes (smart lock + NFC ring = awesome!) but the battery seems to be draining significantly faster. I hope it levels out again. There's also some weird things happening with the Moto 360. When connected the phone is supposed to be silent, and if I press the volume buttons it says the volume has been locked by Android wear, but when ever a notification/call happens it makes a sound! Hopefully that gets sorted out. I've found that I'm only using Tasker now to turn off Auto Synch over night when it comes to 'system' tasks.

Just got the OTA of Lollipop for my NVIDIA Shield Tablet so will see how that is.

I pre-ordered the Nexus 6 from Amazon this morning and still feel a bit ill for dropping so much money on a phone. I guess I have until December to think about it.

Update: The launcher is completely different on the Shield to the one on my Nexus 4. How does other people's Nexus 4 launchers look? Still black like KitKat? The one on the Shield looks like the Google Now Launcher, without the Google Now panel on the left.

You need to install the Google Now Launcher from the Play Store, the Nexus 4 doesn't have it by default. If you have then ::shrug:

Edit: I don't have the Google Now Launch on my N4. Black bars.

Edited by Ike

You need to install the Google Now Launcher from the Play Store, the Nexus 4 doesn't have it by default. If you have then ::shrug:

Edit: I don't have the Google Now Launch on my N4. Black bars.

Yes, my Nexus 4 didn't have it by default but my NVIDIA Shield Tablet seems to have it (or one very similar) by default. Weird.

I'm not a fan of Google Now, it just seemed to waste battery and never actually do anything particularly useful. So I never use it.

Yes, my Nexus 4 didn't have it by default but my NVIDIA Shield Tablet seems to have it (or one very similar) by default. Weird.

I'm not a fan of Google Now, it just seemed to waste battery and never actually do anything particularly useful. So I never use it.

Google now is the shiz, love it to bits, especially when you have, flight/train/hotel bookings. I think it's in people mind it's a battery drain.

It's even better now you can say OK google while the phone is locked and ask it a question, set a reminder, set an alarm. :)

I do find it happy. Can look at it in the morning and see what the weather is like, what travel will be like and it gives me random news articles to read.

Maybe it's because I use public transport to commute. The only information it has for those is static and doesn't hook into the live bus timetables so it's of little use when I can set Tasker up to give me live updates as I'm commuting. I can still use OK Google to take notes/set reminders/get the weather for the day though, at least I can via the Moto 360.

Update on Nexus 4 with Lollipop installed:

Battery really is terrible now. It's only happened since I installed Lollipop but it could also be the new Gmail app that Google pushed out around the same time.

Edited by V. Amoleo

Question for Android users...

Does anyone have experience in Sony handsets running Android (namely the newer Z series) and Samsung running Android (namely the Galaxy series)?

Any advice over which is better than the other? I know some will say there are alternative handsets that do away with bloat ware completely and are probably better choices than these for the UI experience... But just these 2 for now would be great if people have any opinions! : peace:

Thanks

Easily Sony. Samsung's "TouchWiz" is awful and you end up with duplicate apps for pretty much everything.