NEurope
david.dakota

The Android Thread

My friends N95 used to do it (always amusing to hear a robotic voice say "Daddy") but my Desire doesn't and I've looked around the settings and can't find an on/off option :/

Vodaphone offers desire customers a debranding update

Vodafone UK has released a statement assuring disgruntled customers that an upcoming FroYo firmware release will rid their devices of its branding and bloatware

Published on Aug 10, 2010

It seems Vodafone has listened to the recent criticism the network has received over its HTC Desire 'update' and the company announced today, via its official forum, that it would be rolling out a FroYo update which would remove all of the 360 bloat and branding.

The statement offered no apology but the company did concede that it had "listened to feedback from customers on a number of points around the recent 360 Android 2.1 update and made some changes to the rollout plan", and went on to state it would be basing its 2.2 update on the open market version of the operating system which would remove the 360 applications (don't panic though, the 360 gubbins will be available via separate applications!).

This is good news for Vodafone customers but, while the response to the announcement was generally positive, some users still feel a little jaded by the company's modus operandi and have said that they will be thinking twice about installing any further updates rolled out by the firm.

Vodafone's Android 2.2, FroYo update is expected to hit customers' devices within the next 7 to 10 days.

Vodaphone offers desire customers a debranding update

Good to hear! But then I didn't notice anything like that on my phone, lol.

Oh, and I sorted the problem with the annoying voice when someone calls. There was an app called "TalkService", or something like that and I uninstalled it. Sorted!

There have ben rumours for ages of a Playstation branded phone coming from Sony Ericsson - and thanks Google's Android OS, it could become a reality. A reality with a proven brand name to boot - there is nothing in the Android arena that matches the brand of iPhone. A Playstation Phone could be a real worry for Apple.

Engadget are reporting Sony Ericsson are planning to launch a Playstation phone this year.

psp-mockupengadget-450x563.jpg

A handy mock up from the Engadget team

Rocking the brand new Android 3.0 AKA Gingerbread with a PSPgo style slider for tranditional PS controls, the phone would offer PSX/PSP quality visuals with games likely downloadable from a new section in Android Market.

This could be huge.

Yes, that. Couldn't find mention of it earlier. A mention in the Android thread is justified though

I've been introduced to Android phones lately when I was talking about mobiles with someone who brought it up and it's got me all interested now. Now i'm looking about thinking about getting one. My mobile just now is fairly old so an upgrade would be nice.

O2 have said that the desire 2.2 update will be due in 6-8 weeks

I've been introduced to Android phones lately when I was talking about mobiles with someone who brought it up and it's got me all interested now. Now i'm looking about thinking about getting one. My mobile just now is fairly old so an upgrade would be nice.

The current best of the crop is still the HTC Desire and the Samsung Galaxy S

May as well wait a bit before buying a new handset now, various leaks are adding up to next quarter being one of the biggest ever for new phone releases. There should be one or two models running Android 3.0 before the year ends (along with a bundle of Android 2.1 and 2.2 devices), as many as a dozen models running Windows Phone 7, a couple of Symbian^3 and Meego handsets from Nokia, at least one Blackberry OS6 device (the Torch is the only confirmed one at the moment AFAIK) and Samsung might have another Bada powered device on the market too. Unless you're in urgent need of a new phone now I think waiting a few months will pay off :)

The blackberry torch was out of the running before the word go. Never stood a chance.

This is a too lazy to check myself post;

After my phone unlocked itself at work today and did all kinds of crazy things and burned 30% of the battery life by being a little shit wondering if there's an option/app to password/pin unlock?

One problem with HTC Sense is that pressing the menu button twice will unlock the phone.

O2 have said that the desire 2.2 update will be due in 6-8 weeks

The current best of the crop is still the HTC Desire and the Samsung Galaxy S

May as well wait a bit before buying a new handset now, various leaks are adding up to next quarter being one of the biggest ever for new phone releases. There should be one or two models running Android 3.0 before the year ends (along with a bundle of Android 2.1 and 2.2 devices), as many as a dozen models running Windows Phone 7, a couple of Symbian^3 and Meego handsets from Nokia, at least one Blackberry OS6 device (the Torch is the only confirmed one at the moment AFAIK) and Samsung might have another Bada powered device on the market too. Unless you're in urgent need of a new phone now I think waiting a few months will pay off :)

Thanks for the tips there guys! It's almost 5 years since i've had this old thing, so I really thought it was high time I get a new one. Not a top of the line one or anything like Desire/Samsumg (which was awesome when I got a hands on) since i'm not to fussed with mobiles aslong as I think it'll do me.

One problem with HTC Sense is that pressing the menu button twice will unlock the phone.

Not on the Desire.

Although I do hate how the unlock button is the same as the power on. I turn my phone off at night but am scatterbrained so on my old one I would check by pressing a button to see if the screen came to life. The only button you can press to do that on the Desire is the hold button...which then turns it back on.

I'm confused...

I thought with Android phones you had the ability to upgrade the OS yourself?

I thought it was less tied to phone networks and manufacturers than iPhones...?

I'm confused...

I thought with Android phones you had the ability to upgrade the OS yourself?

I thought it was less tied to phone networks and manufacturers than iPhones...?

You can upgrade the OS yourself, but phone networks probably won't accept it if there are any problems and you need to send it back.

I currently have a non-HTC Sense 2.1 rom on my Hero. I'll likely be getting a 2.2 one soon.

One of my friends dad is selling his HTC HD2 for a nice price. Has anyone got one or used one? If so, what are they like?

One of my friends dad is selling his HTC HD2 for a nice price. Has anyone got one or used one? If so, what are they like?

You need the Mobile Phone thread - the HD2 is a Windows phone. I'm not sure how good it is. My workmate had one but sold it after a few months.

You need the Mobile Phone thread - the HD2 is a Windows phone. I'm not sure how good it is. My workmate had one but sold it after a few months.

Is it, I thought it was an Android phone. I used to be knowledgeable when it came to phones.

I've got a hd2. Its quite a size but an amazing phone nontheless. Its IMPOSSIBLE to get the screen dirty, and there are videos of people taking knives to the screen and it surviving. Very well made.

I find windows crashes occasionally... by occasionally I mean... like once every few months... but other than that its superb.