NEurope
david.dakota

The Android Thread

It's a bit fatter than my HTC one but the pure androidness is lovely. Good bye HTC Sense!!

I now have a Nexus 4 and a Nexus 10. May as well get the 7 and complete the family! Slowly turning into Mr Google :P

Sorry should have made that clearer. I have a HTC One X.

It's not broken as such just things have been going wrong and just had enough. I was tempted to upgrade to the HTC One but my experience of using the One X has turned me right off HTC.

- Battery has seriously degraded over the past 18 months and it was depressing not being able to use the phone for fear of running out of juice at lunch time and not being able to text the missus.

- Giro sensors kept packing up so auto rotate, gps etc wouldn't work. Therefore apps and games that relied on a giro sensors wouldn't work and this also made the camera go all screwy. I worked out a temp fix but every time I need to reboot the phone they would pack up again. Annoying.

- Wifi was screwed for a bit - well known problem on the 1st gen HTC one X where the antenna would squash/bend down and it wouldn't make a good connection if any connection. Instead of sending off I fixed it myself with some tin foil.... yeah that's right I opened up the phone and fixed the wifi issue with tin foil.

- As it was HTC and on O2 I would wait FOREVER for updates. It is still sitting on 4.1.1. I wanted pure Android and quicker updates which I now have.

Love the Nexus 4. Only worry I have with it is only 16gb. My one X was 32gb but I will just have to stop being lazy with not deleting stuff off the phone!! :)

Yeah same here. I used HTC once, never again.

Anyone noticed that http://www.anandtech.com/show/7335/the-iphone-5s-review/5

Seems to be odd. The LG G2 uses a much more powerful snapdragon 800 chipset yet is beaten by the S4 in these benchmarks... Something is a miss. The whole thing reads like an advertorial for Apple(i have an iphone 5).

I am interested 50/50 between android and Iphone right now but tempted to just go the android route for more control and flexibility. A Nexus 5 is also on its way.

Installed Bluestacks to check apps and everything seems fine. Only afew minor apps missing that can be done natively in android anyhow! Dont care for the games.

I've never found benchmarks to mean all that much in Android. You can get ROMs which massively increase benchmark scores, but with minimal visible difference.

It just means how well configured to each text the software/hardware is, rather than any real world performance.

I've never found benchmarks to mean all that much in Android. You can get ROMs which massively increase benchmark scores, but with minimal visible difference.

It just means how well configured to each text the software/hardware is, rather than any real world performance.

Its no different with pc's. Benchmarks are pretty useless compared to actual real world performance tests.

It just odd seeing so many people not question the results though. S800 > s600 why is that not showing? Not to mention architecture differences, optimisation to platform, i assume android has less optimised apps on average.

Anyone got an OTG cable working with the 2013 Nexus 7 (unrooted)? I've read some positive reports on Nexus Media Importer working but that YMMV depending on the choice of cable...

@Ashley @Sheikah

Sorry haven't tried it, I mostly use the Emit app to stream media from my PC in the front room, which works really well.

Am I just being thick or are there no next/prev buttons when filling out forms on android? Ie to emulate the function of tab/shift+tab.

I'm not sure about on websites, but in apps "Next" replaces the enter button.

Can anyone recommend a multi account email client (with exchange support) on android ?

The built in client is really basic compared to ios's and doesnt let me see past 2 weeks old email oddly. So far I am pretty happy with android otherwise.

right now I need to carry my iphone for email which is annoying. I have set up K9 too but its rather rough and doesnt support exchange either.

Yeah AquaMail. I had the same problem with the default mail client.

was about to post this.

K9 has issues with large amounts of email. Even when i set to not download it has issues with performance.

Aquamail seems like the best bet for now. I hope Google make use of the sparrow team. this email stuff already has me wanting to go back to ios.

Bah so many issues within android. I am really finding this transition tough. The speed and polish is a huge let down. I thought they were quite similar? Even when i want to send a text the default texting app is slow in loading up. On an ios7 on an iphone 5 its instant.

As it is I am thinking of returning/ selling the phone. Apple are pretty far ahead on all fronts so far.

Edited by Choze

Bah so many issues within android. I am really finding this transition tough. The speed and polish is a huge let down. I thought they were quite similar? Even when i want to send a text the default texting app is slow in loading up. On an ios7 on an iphone 5 its instant.

As it is I am thinking of returning/ selling the phone. Apple are pretty far ahead on all fronts so far.

I went from iOS to Android and Android is a lot faster and more intuitive. iOS is really just for phone illiterate people mesmerised by brand power in my opinion. I'm guessing your problems lie with your phone or something.

Unless he has a HTC One, Galaxy S4, or any of the high end smartphones, to compare the two is just laughable. It's a typical apple user problem where they buy a cheap android phone or windows pc and then complain the speed and polish isn't the same.

I don't know what you're talking about Choze. On good phones the messaging app opens instantaneously. The speed is comparable, and differences negligible. Some things are slightly faster on one and some things on the other.

Unless he has a HTC One, Galaxy S4, or any of the high end smartphones, to compare the two is just laughable. It's a typical apple user problem where they buy a cheap android phone or windows pc and then complain the speed and polish isn't the same.

I don't know what you're talking about Choze. On good phones the messaging app opens instantaneously. The speed is comparable, and differences negligible. Some things are slightly faster on one and some things on the other.

I have the Z1 with a Snapdragon 800 chipset. Its much faster than the S4 and One at least. Its certainly never feels weak anywhere. The speed is purely down to individual apps and how they work. The texting app doesnt let you do anything when its sending a message thats a critical flaw and dumb decision imo.

I am trying out different launchers right now. Happy to spend abit for the best. Installed about 200 apps so far. I like the wireless install via pc browser method over Apple's app store for sure. Its also way faster than the app store on the iphone 5S. Though Apple are much better at curation and promotion in their store. Happy to hear recommendations. I am not going to give up this easily lol.

Installed about 200 apps so far.

That's probably one of your problems, apps running in the background clogging up RAM. 200 apps seems excessive!

That's probably one of your problems, apps running in the background clogging up RAM. 200 apps seems excessive!

I have like 300-400 on my iphone 5. 17 email accounts. etc.

I am quite surprised. In my opinion there's maybe about 30-40 apps that are truly worth downloading.