NEurope
david.dakota

The Android Thread

I'm always a generation behind when it comes to phones, so i'm looking at the S3 as my possible next phone. The S4 looks quite cool though - but i agree with Cube, most of the features look a bit silly and gimicky. The one that looks the worst is the Eyepause thing. It would be incredibly annoying for a video to pause if you looked away from it. Can you imagine how distracting it would be?

I think it looks cool. Obviously that stupid shit like the eye tracking is stupid (lol) but I am confident they can come up with a good use for it. And by "they" I mean anyone. Its just an additional feature. Hovering is probably useful to be fair. The rest of it - larger screen, better camera, front and rear use at same time etc - I really like the sound of all of that, so will PROBABLY get this in November when I am due my upgrade.

P.S. just had an argument with a guy I knew in school about the iPhone. Very strange. I was never really friendly or not friendly with him in school, but he just called me a retard for no reason. It was just really weird. He made himself look like a moron anyway. For shits and giggles;

Facebook status; Paul has a very hard decision to make when he gets back.... HTC One.. Or Samsung Galaxy S4? Hmmm...
Easy..... iPhone 5 ;)

Not a contender..:)

Ahhh can't afford it huh? :p

Lol, if he wanted it, he'd go for it, but it's rubbish and slow. iPhones never seem to change from one to the next, I'm sure they are still dual core aren't they? Only 8MP camera too. Why would you choose that over an 8 core S4? Crazy stuff.

Nothing is as perfect, as light, as small and works as seamlessly as an apple product ;)

As light as an iPhone? Said by someone who has never picked up a Galaxy.

The s4 weighs 4.6oz the iPhone 5weighs 3.9..... That was a bit of a stupid statement really :s #confused

Admitadly I didn't know that about the S4's weight but when I had to use the iPhone at work last year it was noticably heavier and it was one of the things I particularly didn't like about using it. Anyway had one too many arguments with Apple fans in my life.

....as far as I was aware we were talking about iPhone 5 and s4..... When did last years 2 models previous come into the equation??? Lol

And should prob research before making a point on an argument? :p

Actually on a serious note, my friend Harry bought an iPhone 5 and is selling his s4 if ur interested :p

S4 isn't out yet...

Oops maybe it's an s3 then?

Should probs do research....

LAAAWWLLLL.

I wasn't making an argument retard lol just saying was up for sale

Blimey. No need for insults surely?

Well then stop making dumb statements lol

I said I had had one too many arguments with Apple fans but your torrent of ignorance and even resorting to calling me a retard has sparked me into a proper response. As Kay said, you bought the iPhone up. It is interesting that when commenting about their weight you round down the iPhone's weight and round up the Galaxy's weight - is the truth not strong enough of an argument for you? Also interesting to note is that in order to get your Apple products to a level of functionality that you want and desire you have to jailbreak them thus voiding their warranty, so by your own admittance the glorious Apple's products aren't quite up to your high standards. My personal reasons for preferring Androids as a whole (or specifically Galaxys) over iPhones are plentiful - feel less fragile, more functionality (bluetooth pictures, customisable visual options, layouts) you're not forced to a dated and unreliable music programme, its easier to use and more intuitive, visually the options are more appealing (small example; share with functions on OS shows a picture of the app), considerably cheaper, considerably more durable, better camera, more camera options, easy to upgrade, can connect with a multitude of devices, better browser support, quicker and more powerful.

I had very similar arguments with an apple fan friend of mine

today this is his status

: I am a true Apple geek, but fucking hell, have you seen the spec of the new S4, 2GB ram with Octocore processor....(8) fuck

wonder if we have someone finally seeing the light

I've had two Apple users switch to S3 in the last month at work. It is definitely happening, they just need a helping hand.

I agree with your overall stance ReZ but it was a bit silly of you to question him on the weight of the thing even though the iPhone is known to be the lightest and thinnest. And additionally, the iPhone 5 is more durable than the S3 in drop tests.

My general solution to that is to be careful and don't drop your phone. :p

Also come on, Nexus 4 is worth recommending.

In my defence, I used an iPhone, Blackberry and Samsung last year and as it was the smallest (and I think heaviest) the fact that its heavier per square inch or whatevs. Basically it felt very heavy in comparison. (4s vs S2 btw)

Just set up Mighty Text (https://mightytext.net) and it seems to be pretty rad. Send/receive texts on the web and it's done via your phone (i.e. all sent/received texts are still on there). Imports your contacts and even shows you how much battery you have left (minor thing, but nifty).

God send to me as the signal in our office is awful, often have to go to the main reception just to get any signal.

Oh wait, it still goes through my phone so a lack of signal still stops it. Damn this shitty office!

Edited by Ashley

Gmail app got an update, can now delete emails from the notification bar. Wooo Hooo been wanting this feature for ages.

Email alerts from the council telling you to put the recycling out tomorrow? No, i archive those for later.

It's not like you have to worry about space. In my work inbox (we use Google Apps) I have 91,931 emails in my inbox.

I don't delete them for space reasons, i delete them so when i'm searching for an email i need, i don't get hundreds of crappy amazon or press releases that just get in the way.

If i'm never going to need to read the email again, i delete it.

Anyway, i've been noticing that my phone has started dropping battery charge during the night, when switched off. Has that ever happened to anyone else?

I turned it off last night when it was on roughtly 40%, and when i turned it back on this morning, it was on 15%. The battery meter shows a sharp drop when i turned it off. It's strange....

EDIT:

aWGaZYi.png

Look at that! WTF is going on?!

Edited by 130131301364

It's not like you have to worry about space. In my work inbox (we use Google Apps) I have 91,931 emails in my inbox.

I think I just died.

Do you think it's still a good time to buy a Nexus 4, or is its successor's announcement likely to be just around the corner?

Do you think it's still a good time to buy a Nexus 4, or is its successor's announcement likely to be just around the corner?

October or November will be when the Nexus 5 is announced.

I think the Nexus 4 is a really good phone and the price is great. I don't see how anyone who bought one now would be disappointed tbh.

I'm considering upgrading from an Ipad 2 to a Nexus 10, my only concern is the availability of tablet specific apps on android compared to IOS. How do they compare these days, has android caught up at all? The main apps I use are Facebook, Chrome, Gmail and banking (Natwest/TSB). I know all of these are on Google Play as my phone is an android, however how do they appear on a 10 inch tablet? Do they look hideously stretched/scaled, like when you view an app made for Iphone on an Ipad?

Chrome and Gmail look great on a tablet. Not tried the banking or Facebook app though.

Because of the vast nature of available resolutions, Android apps tend to be better at scaling. Some will look silly, though. Spotify is one example.