NEurope
nekunando

Games you used to love.. but now hate!

Sorry, darksnowman, I was in a terrible mood last night and I thought you were having a go at me (well, you were, weren't you? :heh:)

I was having a go, but just a playful go. Maybe should have used a smiley or two. :heh:

oh forgive me for having a different opinion to the norm :)

I was about 8. We all went through that " we are too old for this" phase... Some people never grow out of it. These days I generally prefer more colourful games anyway.

Again, I wasn't having a go. Its a good thing that you came through that phase. :) Honestly, when I was young, I played any game no matter what it looked like. I never once judged Yoshi's Island on its graphics- the only thing I thought was that the crayon style was cool.

I bet thats how you got so into Metroid. Faced with the choice between buying Super Metroid and a colourful "kiddy" game, you felt you had to go with Metroid for the dark, gritty visuals and the masculinity of going round shooting things. Its all making sense now. :heh:

I bet thats how you got so into Metroid. Faced with the choice between buying Super Metroid and a colourful "kiddy" game, you felt you had to go with Metroid for the dark, gritty visuals and the masculinity of going round shooting things. Its all making sense now. :heh:

Femininity, surely? It's Samus! :D

Femininity, surely? It's Samus! :D

I was going by the old "judging the game by the back of the box" that we all did when we were wee.

:heh:

I was going by the old "judging the game by the back of the box" that we all did when we were wee.

:heh:

I could never afford games with boxes, I just had to look at the picture on the 2nd hand cartridge and judge from that! :D

Of course back in the C64 days most of the boxart was tripe so you didn't have a clue what you were getting. :)

That article nailed why I don't play as many RPGs anymore:

Growing up and getting a job didn’t leave a lot of free time for gaming, and even once I’d lucked out and landed a newspaper game-review column, the weekly review cycle made it impossible to devote the kind of time to JRPGs that I used to. So I started to ignore them in favor of shorter, more immediately rewarding types of games.

Except I'm not a reviewer.

Also this made me smile:

Worse, their plots and characters are almost always committee-written rehashes of the same tired, anime-inspired formulas. Is there a demure healer who secretly harbors feelings for the hero? Check. A token cool guy who’s the most grizzled, world-weary 28-year-old you’ve ever seen? Check. A protagonist who’s either brashly selfish, naïvely idealistic or who has no discernible personality whatsoever? Check, check and check. Factor in plenty of inane dialogue and too many nauseatingly cutesy heroines, and I’ll stick to games where I can make something blow up in the first five minutes, thanks.

That article nailed why I don't play as many RPGs anymore:

Except I'm not a reviewer.

Also this made me smile:

Everything thats been quoted there is spot on too the core, a lot of JRPG's are like that. This is also perhaps one reason as to why JRPG's are moving over to handhelds which I think is the best move really.

I usually call those types of JRPG's he is talking about as 'Final Animu' syndrome. Very few JRPG's get me hooked nowadays. SMT, DQ and anything monolith makes are basically the only thing (Perhaps 1 or 2 new interesting ones as well)

I know that's a comment directed at rpgs but I tend to be too busy to play any type of game for a long time. When I was younger I longed for a long title but now... I just wanna complete the game...

Games like metroid zero mission were a very short experience but was a perfect size to me. I don't complete most games and neither do a lot of people and I really think devs are starting to realising this..

I believe shorter an cheaper games are the way to go. It also allows for more creative thinking and lower budgets for developers and after all If a game is cheap people are more willing to take a chance on it.

Do many of you fork out 60 euro or 40 pounds for an original title that got good reviews anymore?

I believe shorter an cheaper games are the way to go. It also allows for more creative thinking and lower budgets for developers and after all If a game is cheap people are more willing to take a chance on it.

I feel like I agree with you, and yet I played through Dragon Quest VIII twice (a very long game) and want to play it again! Arguably RPGs need a certain amount of journey.

Zero Mission is certainly a good example of a short, high-quality game though. I've completed it on Normal and Hard (Easy as well, I think, just for fun) and I've kept it so I can play it again. If it had filler in it, I wouldn't be so fond of it.

Probably the secret is to make a game 100% fun. If it's boring or tedious, it's not worth putting in. If that means it's more suitable as a download or as an (intended) £20 packaged product, then so be it. Sometimes I just want to play a simple 2D game, although good graphics are important to me.

Do many of you fork out 60 euro or 40 pounds for an original title that got good reviews anymore?

No. There are only two series that I will buy on release, and they are Zelda and Dragon Quest (main series only and excluding remakes). Mario is a "£30" affair, because I know it will come down to that, but likely no cheaper.

I know that's a comment directed at rpgs but I tend to be too busy to play any type of game for a long time. When I was younger I longed for a long title but now... I just wanna complete the game...

I tend to be the opposite. When I was younger I was all about the quick games and multiplayer, now I love my RPGs even more now that more and more are surfacing on the DS/PSP. This is great for me as when there is level grinding to be done I can just take it to work and play on my breaks and once I get home I can then continue the story. Its a winning combo!

I think RPGs offer great value for money as they last you a very long time ( in terms of gaming anyway ) and some of the better ones really draw you in. If your looking for short games then fine but when I enjoy a game I try to get the most out of it and hope it doesn't end and RPGs satisfy this hunger.

Just this year I have had the privilege of playing through Dragon Quest IV ( 36 hours complete ) Magna Carta 2 ( 32 hours complete ) Pokemon Ranger 2 ( 28 hours complete ) and Final Fantasy XIII ( 75 hours complete ). You don't get this kind of playtime from shooters, platformers, racers etc unless they have a multiplayer mode and seeing as I much prefer a single player experience RPGs are the way to go for me.

Roll on Monster Hunter 3 so I can sink 400+ hours into it! :D

I can see where both mcj and H-o-T are coming from on this. Shorter games are inviting because you can get an instant sense of reward from them and they are more likely to be replayed. When it released, I was a bit disappointed with the length of Luigi's Mansion. I completed it at a canter over that weekend. I did replay it, looking for the pieces of cheese and looking back, I think it was a fine length. They did everything they could with the mansion idea so I couldn't complain. Also, I actually thought GoldenEye was really short too! I remember almost finishing it the afternoon I got it so I wiped my file and tried to pace myself better. :heh: Not that it lasted much longer (on Agent in single player) but atleast I tried.

On the other hand, I seem to be playing more and more RPGs as the years roll by. Yes they are huge and time consuming, with predictable plots but I still find them addictive. I like to get stuck into them and figure out the system behind each game and I enjoy the puzzly aspect to figuring out how to win battles. I just can't help myself from embarking on these huge adventures that I know I won't complete any time soon. RPGs are as good as you allow them to be. If you are closed off to the idea of them before even starting one, then obviously you are gonna get nowhere. However if you want to get involved in one, you'll want to keep going back, whether thats in short or long burst of play time depending on your lifestyle.

The GBA and now the DS have been absolute RPG utopias which has had a lot to do with it for me. :grin:

Edited by darksnowman

Ya There is nothing more annoying than a game with obvious filler, or just games that try to lengthen the gameplay hours...

I'm going to give pokemon as an example there. things like giving you the bike 3 towns in and the running shoes after about 1 town really grates me

The game just crawls when it doesn't need to...Most rpgs do this actually because fans judge it on a scale of hours.

BUt luigi's mansion was a really satifying game.. Really no filler and had great puzzles that I have to say had me stumped sometimes. I love games like that cause It made me want to find every single room and there were a few secret ones.

even recent examples like modern warfare 2.. Not really my kind of game being honest and it has like a 6 hour single player mode..? it's great while it lasts and no tedious missions or anything.

I guess in the end it's replay value that's more important than length. I played through zero mission about 2 or 3 times, I play through the sonic games once every month almost, played through resident evil 4 on the wii again guess you could count that..

Fans of fps games will replay modern warfare on different difficulty levels cause it's short and not a chore.

I replayed the mirror mansion in luigi's mansion after completing the game no problem.

Hope i'm making sense, Don't like making long posts I'm afraid i'm rambling on :)

Well now after I thought about the subject I realized that there are actually lots of games I hate today.

I used to play every kind of games before but now I don´t like to play them anymore.

Today I´ll try to avoid as best as I can games that include killing or witchcraft. Those kind of games I actually hate and also in a more deeper meaning of expression hate. For example games like Zelda that have sorcery in them.

But in the simpler way thought I can´t really tell. So many games just have that retro value for me even if they are old.