NEurope
Dante

3DS Console Discussion

So I got it. Played a bit with the AR stuff. Not impressed to be honest. Nothing seems to really pop out as I expected. 3D adds depth to the stuff that's further away but not a single thing came really "out to me", if you know what I mean. Am I doing anything wrong (I tried every distance to figure out the sweet spot), did I expect too much?

Well, not really interested in the 3D for now, as I haven't got a 3DS game, yet. Will wait for some good games...but I hope those will impress me more.

Dear Customer,

Thank you for preordering your Nintendo 3DS Console from GAME.co.uk!

We're delighted you picked us to experience 3D Gaming without the glasses on day one

and to show it, we're also giving you two £10 off vouchers, to use against some of the top

3DS launch titles!

> Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition

> Nintendogs & Cats: Golden Retriever and New Friends

> Nintendogs & Cats: French Bulldog and New Friends

> Nintendogs & Cats: Toy Poodle and New Friends

> Pilotwings Resort

> Pro Evolution Soccer 3D

> LEGO Star Wars 3: The Clone Wars 3D

> Tom Clancy's Splintercell 3D

> Rayman 3D

> Super Monkey Ball 3D

> Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars 3D

> Ridge Racer 3D

> Asphault 3D

> The Sims 3D

> Samurai Warriors 3D

> Madden 3D

Just asking because you were supposed to do that with the original ds. I don't want to damage the battery.

It cost me $359 or £227. It's high, but I think it will be a very long time before it get's cheaper. Definitively not this year. I know some stores are charging up to $413, and I wouldn't be surprised if I went down to GAME and had to pay $450. They have never been the price setter.

I just checked and it's $360 here too.

All this talk about how great it is, is very tantalizing. I'll probably get some iteration of the 3DS eventually, and if some good games come out that may be sooner than I anticipate.

It's not supposed to pop out, just add depth to stuff.

Which, when you think about it is much better. With the extra depth, it is more subtle, but if it popped out, I think it would get quite distracting.

Which, when you think about it is much better. With the extra depth, it is more subtle, but if it popped out, I think it would get quite distracting.

Yeah I agree that it would become more distracting. Sense of depth still makes me 'woah' at times.

It's not supposed to pop out, just add depth to stuff.

Ah ok. Some things do pop out a bit. Like the crayons from the Activity Log. I just thought they pop out more.

Well, if it's like this. I'm impressed. :D Looking forward to Zelda, Mario, F-Zero (yeah...) and so on. :)

Anyone know if these vouches can both be used on one order or if I have to spread it out. I'd be fine getting Street Fighter for a tenner, but not really for £20

Ah ok. Well some things do pop out a bit. Like the crayons from the Activity Lock. I just thought they pop out more.

Well, if it's like this. I'm impressed. :D Looking forward to Zelda, Mario, F-Zero (yeah...) and so on. :)

I have noticed some bits at times that gave me the illusion something was poping out once in Samurai Warriors, and I almost flinched.

Saying that, was on the AR cards where the 6 boxes are out that you shoot to pick what you do, and someboday was moving a cushion and I thought they were about to be blown away and was thinking "Urgh, got to pick these up" :heh:

Anyway, a few questions;

Where is friend code

Where do we download this test video?

I'm not sure if these have been answered, but the Friend Code is on your Friend Card (tap the square, orange face icon and you should find it). For the video, do a System Update and it appears automatically (I believe it replaces the Health & Safety advice as your first "square").

Anyway, I've been playing about with my 3DS. My first impression was that it was very small, especially as I'm used to the DSi XL. The screens are very small - too small, I'd say - and generally don't seem as bright or as crisp. I was very surprised to see it was already on the maximum brightness setting. The sound is absolutely puny compared to the XL (headphones are a must) and the build quality feels a lot less solid. In many ways a step backwards!

I tested out the 3D Camera and the Augmented Reality. The 3D effect works well and it's very exciting to see Link or Samus on your table. I also played the target shooting and snooker-golf, which were impressive, but it is rather complicated to keep your 3DS at the right distance from the AR card and yourself the right distance from the 3DS.

Of course, it's all about the games, and thankfully I'm enjoying Pilotwings very much. Flying about in 3D really is a new experience in gaming. In 2D mode, the graphics are very good - crisp, clear and a generation ahead of the last machine, which is all I ask. I'm getting a "GameCube" vibe from the 3DS, in that the visuals look pretty much as good as I could want. Can't wait for the first original Zelda!

Overall, the 3DS gets the important things right - graphics, controls and resolution. The lesser points - screen size, battery life - can hopefully be fixed with a 3DS XL down the line. Much has been said about the battery life, but the machine also gets quite warm, even after an hour or less. The 3D obviously takes a heck of a toll on the processing, but thankfully this seems to have hit the battery, rather than the graphical ability.

I'm highly doubtful that anyone will leave the 3D on for long, as it does make you feel a tad strange, whether that's through nausea, headaches or just the sheer effort of focusing your eyes correctly and keeping the machine in the sweet spot. So, I recommend the machine, but I wouldn't recommend it for the 3D at all. If you buy it, assume you'll be playing it in 2D. Thankfully, it is a bona fide "DS 2".

Pros:

Good graphics

Good controls

Decent resolution

3D effect is impressive...

Cons:

...but veers dangerously close to "gimmick"

Small screens

Went into the city for a walk round eariler, brought the 3DS with me, hoping to get something on StreetPass.... nothing :cry:

Guess all the day one buyers were still testing it out in their home/school/work :heh:

I was out with and by some chance got someone in StreetPass. Needless to say when I seen the green diode on I was like "omfg" and was happily surprised/excited. I'm really looking forward to StreetPass. It better catch on.

Anyone know if these vouches can both be used on one order or if I have to spread it out. I'd be fine getting Street Fighter for a tenner, but not really for £20

One code for one game. And it'd be 25 not 20 (GAME's a rip off). Though Street Fighter is well worth it! So much to it and amazing online!

Tesco sent me a £25 off a 3DS game voucher despite it got cancelled when they had that mis-price :laughing:

Can't seem to find any games on the website that I didn't already get though :(

Can I have your code then :)

Aww man, but I don't really want any of the other launch games. Are you positive it's one per game?

Wow, that AR game with the question mark was awesome! Love 3d <3

It was amazing to see it almost come out of my table like it was real. So fun.

Aww man, but I don't really want any of the other launch games. Are you positive it's one per game?

I haven't tried, but I'm 99% certain. Otherwise it would be a £20 voucher! Try it.

I managed to go online with my 3DS. My wireless router works. Hell must be frozen right now.

It's a shame the connection doesn't reach to my room, so if I want to be online I need to use a virtual router with my laptop.

Going online while in a game (only tried Pokémon) won't work with the virtual router, meaning I need to be in the living room (which is two stories/storeys? down) to do shit. But I got the thing I need for Vicinti, that's enough.

Ah ok. Some things do pop out a bit. Like the crayons from the Activity Log. I just thought they pop out more.

Its upto the devs if they want stuff to pop out the screen. Happens a little Pilotwings.

I caved and bought one, traded in some stuff so got it pretty cheap in the end.

Has anyone else played a normal DS game on it? Cause I just loaded up Pokemon White and it looks pretty poor in comparison to my DS Lite - just a bit blurry, rather disappointed in that!

Aye, was gonna post. Have read thread now so will try tips.

Also guys, come on. That picture of hot chick was hella blurry. She looks good (and I trust Debug) but going on the picture is a bit dodgy.

OBVIOUSLY would though. But still guys. Come on. Would still. But guys. Still.

Would. Etc. Blurry.

I haven't played any games yet (None have been delivered yet :nono:) but everything I have checked out with the 3DS so far has been a little problematic. I'm having a lot of trouble with the 3D :hmm:

I wasn't really expecting this to be the case but, for the moment at least, the slider has had to be placed as low as possible before dropping into 2D territory..

So, I finally got to try the 3DS today. Nice stuff.

-Face Raiders surprised me. It's really weird, facing off (lol) against myself.

-Ocarina of Time FTW! :yay: I swear, you could hear the Kokiri Village theme over every other 3DS available. And it is the good old OoT we know and love.

-Kid Icarus was there! And I faced Cerberus and the Grim Reaper! And I lost against the latter! And yet I'm still psychepsychepsychepsyched for it! :grin:

-Street Fighter IV actually underwhelmed me. I didn't feel the 3D working that well, and the Overview camera wasn't practical at all. Could be the stands, but meh. Guile (usually my reliable man) was disappointing. Using the grapplers is fantastic, though (easier to do the 360 motion, not to mention the shortcuts), and the Hadoken motion (for Abel's moves) worked well.

-Resident Evil Mercenaries was a very welcome surprise. Krauser is awesome, and the available moves are a definite step up from the minigame in RE4. It's weird, getting used to the controls, though, I was used to the Wii.

-Nintendogs was in Japanese :blank: But they're releasing it in Portuguese :yay: Never thought I'd see the day.

-There were Mario Kart and Paper Mario trailers available in 3D. Yummy stuff.

Other than myself being a noob with the slider, I thought things worked fine. Man, I can't wait for Kid Icarus.

Also, I :heart: Nintendo Ibérica

P.S.: I didn't buy it, there was an event. That's all.

Edited by Jonnas
Automerged Doublepost

I haven't played any games yet (None have been delivered yet :nono:) but everything I have checked out with the 3DS so far has been a little problematic. I'm having a lot of trouble with the 3D :hmm:

I wasn't really expecting this to be the case but, for the moment at least, the slider has had to be placed as low as possible before dropping into 2D territory..

You holding it far enough from your face?