NEurope
Dante

3DS Console Discussion

Well they're good points and you're obviously more clued up than me.

Conclusion ; You can't spell ignorant without IGN.

Despite the fact that it probably won't be as powerful as a PS3 or 360, it's a safe bet that it'll be much more powerful than the DS. I do hope that its increased graphical capabilities don't spell the end for 2D; much as I love 3D adventures on home consoles, they tend to be a bit lacklustre on handhelds. Spectrobes springs to mind with the DS, along with a fair few PSP games.

It was good to see developers realise with the DS that just because it was capable of 3D, it didn't mean they had to use it, or that it made a better game.

If it's IGN saying this, then I'm veeery cautious. It was a given in my view we were going to get a big jump in resolution considering the 3D specification (so you have, at minimum, double the resolution of the old screen to separate the images in to two different eyes (I imagine this is how it works considering you don't need glasses).

It's a lot cheaper now to do a lot of things on a handheld these days (I wonder how much the DS costs to manufacture now?), but because we don't have a clue to what extent it goes to (bar phones), it's gonna be damn interesting. I think IGN may be exaggerating yet again to be honest.

NVIDIA unconnected with 3DS

Mobile industry insiders, speaking with Digital Foundry, have said that the much-rumoured tie-up between Nintendo and NVIDIA for the console-maker's auto-stereoscopic 3D handheld is not happening.

According to our two independent, unconnected sources, the Nintendo 3DS - almost certain to be revealed at E3 - features a design totally divorced from the NVIDIA Tegra SoC (system on chip) initially thought to have been powering the DS successor. It's now thought that Nintendo has instead chosen a Japanese partner for the 3D acceleration hardware within the 3DS.

Sources also confirmed that the 3DS' development codename is "Nintendo CTR", meaning that this motherboard picture we ran a couple of weeks back, sourced from the FCC website, is indeed something akin to a development or test station for the new handheld.

This strongly suggests that 3DS does feature a widescreen "glasses free" stereoscopic 3D display, along with a more conventional 4:3 2D display beneath it. Interestingly, it appears that the images of the board published on the FCC website were uploaded in error: they were supposed to have been made public 10 months after the submission in April this year, presumably after the 3DS itself ships.

Meanwhile, IGN corroborates the story that NVIDIA is out of the picture, quoting "off-the-record" developer sources as saying that the 3DS is up there in the power stakes with PS3 and Xbox 360. It's a statement that needs to be taken with barrel-loads of salt bearing in mind the enormous power draw such a chipset would require. If nothing else, Nintendo has a strong track record in excellent battery life with every one of its previous handhelds.

Indeed, even the four-core PowerVP chip said to be at the heart of the PSP2 offers a performance level some way between the original Xbox and the 360. A more modest GPU is therefore a much more realistic proposition, especially bearing in mind that even the iPhone 3GS with its PowerVR SGX535 architecture doesn't exactly command outstanding battery life in 3D gaming.

All of which is interesting tittle-tattle in the here and now, but let's hope that the Nintendo E3 conference on June 15, kicking off at 5pm UK time, will offer more concrete answers.

I don't think we should discount the possiblity of Super Mario Galaxy 3D. The whole concept of Mario Galaxy lends itself very well to the 3D-eye trick that is currently in.

I don't think we should discount the possiblity of Super Mario Galaxy 3D. The whole concept of Mario Galaxy lends itself very well to the 3D-eye trick that is currently in.

Cool that be good if we do get it.

Capcom has hopes that the 3DS is a digital distribution service as can be seen in the following GI.biz article:

Capcom CEO Haruhiro Tsujimoto believes Nintendo is paying close attention to Apple's success in mobile gaming, anticipating the upcoming Nintendo 3DS handheld for more than its 3D capabilities.

"What we're more looking forward to is the offering of a new business model," he said in an interview with Nikkei. "Nintendo has been in the hardware business for a long time, and I believe they must be looking closely at Apple's recent success."

"We believe third parties are paying attention to Nintendo's E3 3DS announcement because of this point as well."

This may be a hint that Capcom hopes Nintendo is readying a service akin to Apple's App Store for their new handheld - perhaps allowing a greater range of third-party, independent and micro-payment content than does the existing DSiWare store. There has also been speculation that the 3D-enabled handheld will offer 3G capabilities.

I don't think that it will be purely download only like the PSPGo but I think it will be halfway there. I'm very interested to see what they actually show.

I was wondering, most 3D TV's can "upscale" 2D images into 3D images, would it be possible for the 3DS will upscale DS games?

Upscale into 3D? Are you sure about that? I've never heard of it before and I'm not sure how a 2D image could be "faked" into 3D....

Destructoid have posted a rumour about Animal Crossing possibly being a 3DS launch title.

Next week at E3, Nintendo is expected to reveal its Nintendo 3DS hardware to the world, and with it the first batch of software.

According to our sources, Nintendo has been quietly wooing developers and publishers with a handheld 3D demo of its popular franchise, Animal Crossing. Word has it that the game will be revealed next week as a launch title for Nintendo's handheld. When contacted with a request for comment, Nintendo's response was as expected: "Nintendo does not comment on rumors or speculation."

As a launch title for the 3D, Animal Crossing seems like a fair bet. The DS title, Animal Crossing: Wild World, was a massive success; as of March 2008, Nintendo said the title had sold 9.53 million copies worldwide. The publisher even bundled the game with the Nintendo DS in 2006.

Nintendo's E3 press conference takes place on Tuesday, June 15 at 9am Pacific. We'll be there, so keep your eyes peeled for next week's live coverage of the event.

I hope that if that exists that it's just a tech demo. If not it would mean that AC has turned into another franchise like Pokemon, where relatively little changes but it sells well to a new generation.

I hope that if that exists that it's just a tech demo. If not it would mean that AC has turned into another franchise like Pokemon, where relatively little changes but it sells well to a new generation.

But it's 3D!

Here's to hoping for the unlikely scenario where it has unlockabe NES games like the Gamecube version, but play in 3D...

Upscale into 3D? Are you sure about that? I've never heard of it before and I'm not sure how a 2D image could be "faked" into 3D....

The Toshiba Cell TVs are LED models and will be able to ‘upscale’ 2D content to 3D in real time – allowing viewers to watch regular broadcast TV, DVDs, Blu-ray discs, and streamed content from the internet and home movies in 3D.

http://www.which.co.uk/news/2010/01/toshiba-cell-tv-unveiled-at-ces-2010-193579

Well even with a source, I'll take this a believe when seen. I still can't see how they can do that without the z-depth information.

I'd love to see a new nintendogs/cats in 3D. The gameplay of the original lends itself to 3D too.

An 'app' store must be a shoe-in when you look at the DSi "testing ground" and Id love to see classic games with 3D elements.

I'd be very surprised if Nintendo altered any original releases though. they proved to be stubborn with Wii and their classic titles seem to sell in their original formats without any tinkering at all.

A 3D Mario Bros NES remake (or Duck hunt) would rock my world!

I'd be very surprised if Nintendo altered any original releases though. they proved to be stubborn with Wii and their classic titles seem to sell in their original formats without any tinkering at all.

A 3D Mario Bros NES remake (or Duck hunt) would rock my world!

Literally no tinkering AT ALL, which is why many Virtual Console games have been rendered unplayable on many TVs.

Literally no tinkering AT ALL, which is why many Virtual Console games have been rendered unplayable on many TVs.

QFT.

It's a plus and a negative that Nintendo haven't done a 'SEGA' and whored out their franchises time and time again.

Well even with a source, I'll take this a believe when seen. I still can't see how they can do that without the z-depth information.

I guess its still a 2D image, but lifted out of the screen (which i think makes sense).

Spec stuff:

Size (when closed):

Approximately 5.3 inches wide, 2.9 inches long, 0.8 inches tall.

Weight:

Approximately 8 ounces.

Look:

Final design is TBA.

Top Screen:

3.53-inch widescreen LCD display, enabling 3D view without the need for special glasses; with 800x240 pixel resolution (400 pixels are allocated for each eye to enable 3D viewing).

Touch Screen:

3.02-inch LCD with 320x240 pixel resolution with a touch screen.

Cameras:

One inner camera and two outer cameras with 640x480 (0.3 Mega) pixel resolution.

Pre-Installed Software:

TBA

Nintendo 3DS Game Card:

2 GB Max. at launch.

Wireless Communication:

Can communicate in the 2.4 GHz band. Multiple Nintendo 3DS systems can connect via a local wireless connection to let users communicate or enjoy competitive game play. Systems also can connect to LAN access points to access the Internet and allow people to enjoy games with others. Will support IEEE 802.11 with enhanced security (WPA/WPA2). Nintendo 3DS hardware is designed so that even when not in use, it can automatically exchange data with other Nintendo 3DS systems or receive data via the Internet while in sleep mode.

Game Controls:

Touch screen, embedded microphone, A/B/X/Y face buttons, + Control Pad, L/R buttons, Start and Select buttons, "Slide Pad" that allows 360-degree analog input, one inner camera, two outer cameras, motion sensor and a gyro sensor.

Other Input Controls:

3D Depth Slider to adjust level of 3D effect (can be scaled back or turned off completely depending on the preference of the user), Home button to call system function, Wireless switch to turn off wireless communications (even during game play), Power button. The telescoping stylus is approximately 4 inches when fully extended.

Input/Output:

A port that accepts both Nintendo 3DS game cards and game cards for the Nintendo DS™ family of systems, an SD memory card slot, an AC adapter connector, a charging cradle terminal and a stereo headphone output jack.

Sound:

Stereo speakers positioned to the left and right of the top screen.

Battery:

Lithium ion battery details TBA.

Languages:

TBA

Parental Controls:

Parental controls similar to the Nintendo DSi system will be included.

day 1 import for me. 3DS looks amazing, software lineup is crazy and I am seeing graphics on this thing that the Wii would struggle achieve.

Is 2 Gb good or bad?

It's only to begin. See it as a good thing personally.

I would import, but there are far, far to many titles I want. Lower game prices please...