NEurope
Dante

3DS Console Discussion

I imagine Game dispatches are going to be like the whole Black and White situation, they say it's dispatched but that's just to get the payment in for it.

Black and White did the same thing, I got the dispatch notice like many people on the Monday but it was clear they didn't dispatch til Tuesday/Wednesday, even my friend with next day delivery didn't get his on Tuesday when it had supposedly dispatched Monday.

Serebii, reading this page makes you sound like Canand and the whole 'has my heart gold copy been shipped' fiasco :heh:

Ouch. I'll be quiet then lol

I imagine Game dispatches are going to be like the whole Black and White situation, they say it's dispatched but that's just to get the payment in for it.

Black and White did the same thing, I got the dispatch notice like many people on the Monday but it was clear they didn't dispatch til Tuesday/Wednesday, even my friend with next day delivery didn't get his on Tuesday when it had supposedly dispatched Monday.

Possible. I think he ordered the Aqua Blue while I got the Cosmos Black so it makes sense.

It's just the fact I accidentally deleted an e-mail from them which worries me

Edited by Serebii
Automerged Doublepost

Get a grip Serebii. Get a hold of yourself man.

Didn't Dyson say GAME weren't sending out till (later in the week) (Thursday?)

I got an email saying my 3DS has been dispatched! YEY!! Here's hoping for a nice surprise Wednesday or Thursday... Where was it said they would be help with the courier?

GAME sent an e-mail a week ago now maybe, saying they'll be processing and sending the console out early to be held by the courier so it would definently be with us on launch day. Can copy and paste it here if you really want it.

Ah screw it, GAME e-mail:

Dear Customer,

Thanks for preordering the Nintendo 3DS from Game.co.uk

Due to the epic size of 3DS we have a lot to do to make sure it gets to youin time for launch day. As a result, we will be processing your order and chargingyour payment card a little earlier than usual.

You may receive an email letting your know that Your Order Is On Its Way but thisjust means its being held by the courier ready for delivery on launch day.

Please note all courier tracking numbers will not be active until the evening priorto the release date.

To help us make sure that nothing affects your delivery, please check your card details are up to date, and that you've got enough funds in your account for payment.

If you have any queries please don't hesitate to contact our Customer Service Team: http://www.game.co.uk/Help/~h9921/Contact-Us/

Kind regards The GAME.co.uk Customer Service Team

I've added a section to the review about the score, as that seems to be what most people are concerned about (that and battery life but that's raised in here too). It will probably only kick up a whole new batch of issues but what the hell :p

As some people are questioning the 10/10 score I would just like to make a few points. First and foremost had it been possible to not submit a score I would have. I personally come from a train of thought that scores are unnecessary anyway and the reviewer's opinion on a product should be clear within the body of the text itself. However, I know many people like scores and its needed for websites such as Metacritic.

Secondly, people have questioned the fact that a 10/10 implies it is perfect and have asked why it would get this when there are problems with the console. Any console is going to have problems and it is going to have issues that bother some people and not others. I seriously toiled over the score to give because I know a lot of people read a great deal into it. With that in mind I considered the following: "what did Nintendo set out to do, how well did they do it and how well will this stand the test of time?" Nintendo never set out to make the console with the best graphics (any Nintendo fan should know this), online features or the most outstanding technology. What they aim to do is make a great console that can play games that are enjoyable, within a set of technical limitations. Yes, they could certainly improve on things and they are. The 3DS is a clear indication they are working on improving some areas they are lacking in but I believe if you are purchasing a console you should be realistic about what your expectations are. If you want an in-depth online experience get a PC. I don't mean to sound flippant or dismissive of the problems, of which there are some, but I personally felt the console met my expectations and that is ultimately what a review should address. One person's score is not necessarily going to speak for everyone.

In terms of the battery life, which seems to be a sticking point for some people, I see it as a non-issue. Nintendo were never dishonest about how long it would last. They claimed it could be as low as three hours and mine lasted four hours with various aspects turned on (see the section on page four). Since then I have charged it, turned the brightness down, just played games and not had the wireless connection turned on. It has since lasted three and a half hours and only lost one of the four battery bars. This is, realistically, the kind of manner in which you will be getting out of the console most of the time. It would be absolutely brilliant if it lasted up to ten hours or more but given what the console can do and the size it is it is just not financially feasible at this moment. The original DS had a dark screen, which was later addressed in redesigns. I have no doubt that future iterations of the 3DS will have better battery life but I would rather Nintendo be upfront and claim it will last just three hours than promise much more and not deliver.

Finally, the review format we have in place at present only deals with integers. Essentially a 10 is anything 95% or above. As I mentioned earlier scores are just numbers, what is most important is whether or not it meets your expectations and how much you enjoy it. Please do not live or die by my score or anyone else's, they are merely an indication. I did not mean to sound defensive, as these are issues that should be questioned, but I wanted to add this in to address them upfront for anyone who reads this review from now on and to hopefully touch upon some issues raised in the comments below. Feel free to disagree with me however.

And on a personal level - are you realistically going to be playing SSFIV for hours on end with 3D and wireless on anyway? It is advised against in the instruction manual :p That test may very well be accurate. I didn't play SSFIV extensively with those conditions when I was testing out the console. Ultimately its impossible to try and decide a median battery life due to the different possibilities (AR, wireless, volume, 3D and all of which are affected by the actual game that is being played). If you are concerned that it may only last an hour or two then wait for the upgrade (as I know some people are saying they will anyway, which is fine).

The biggest disappointments come from the greatest expectations.

Although I would prefer a longer battery life, I agree that it's still pretty good considering the features that can be simultaneously ran at the same time.

If the wireless switch was in the connections menu like it is on the DSi, that would extremely piss me off when it comes to battery life. But the easy access to a switch on the actual unit makes it easier to switch off communications after you finish, it always annoyed me how the DSi lacked this feature when the PSP always had it.

So basically, it seems the communications features hog battery life, so make sure you always turn it off when you don't need it and that'll be another half hour on your battery life I reckon.

EDIT: Ashley, do you know the Select Button + Volume trick still works to turn down the screen brightness on the 3DS like it did on the DSi? Or has this been removed due to the volume control now being a slider rather than buttons?

FYI as you kind of mention it - you can't switch wireless on/off mid-game for old DS games but can for 3DS games.

FYI as you kind of mention it - you can't switch wireless on/off mid-game for old DS games but can for 3DS games.

Hmm strange. Ah well, I usually know if I have any intention of using communications whilst playing older DS games so not too much of a bother. Cheers!

3 days and less than 4 hours left folks!

I assume its because the original DS couldn't and the 3DS merely emulates the original DS when playing its games. That may not be the technological reason but it makes sense to me :p

Got a call from HMV before saying they have my console in ready for the midnight launch on Friday!

Strolling into GAME in the afternoon to pick my pre-order up. Only thing I'm not sure of is paying £80 (!) for Pilotwings and SF

Strolling into GAME in the afternoon to pick my pre-order up. Only thing I'm not sure of is paying £80 (!) for Pilotwings and SF

Don't. Just order online and save atleast £20 :heh:

No one should be buying games in-store!

Exactly as this gent says!

I'm getting a console and 2 games for £235 or there abouts online, screw instore!

I personally dont understand why battery life is such a big issue. More than likely you wouldnt be playing it at full capacity (full brightness, wifi, 3d, speakers turned on) that often. You'd be more likely to play it at medium brightness, wifi on when you plan to play online or have it in sleep / streetpass mode and i tend to use headphone for playing games in public. So for casual use out of the home I'd expect you'd get a bit more battery life - and unless you often go on long journeys you should be fine. And when you are at home using it, youre not far from your adapter.

GAME sent an e-mail a week ago now maybe, saying they'll be processing and sending the console out early to be held by the courier so it would definently be with us on launch day. Can copy and paste it here if you really want it.

Ah screw it, GAME e-mail:

wondering how long parcelforce (who are the worst courier company going) will hold it back. When I track mine it just sez express 24.

Has anyone on here pre-ordered with shopto?

Any news?

Mine is still listed as a pre-order with no action needed unless I want to pay early.

:blank:

Has anyone on here pre-ordered with shopto?

Any news?

Mine is still listed as a pre-order with no action needed unless I want to pay early.

:blank:

Well, it's being sent via TNT so I don't expect anything until Wednesday.

Hi i have a Game Gift card worth £62.50 for sale, im asking for £57.50 paypal gift and i will post it by 1st class recorded, this would be perfect to use with a 3ds from GAME on friday saving you a fiver more , and it would be doing me a huge favour taking it off my hands.

lmk

cheers

The Gamestation near me is having a midnight launch :D everyone who has pre-ordered (and turns up) is entered into a raffle and one of us will get their 3DS free. I fucking hope it's me lol

FYI GAME are doing the same thing! Midnight raffles ftw - we did it for Black Ops (to get a Prestige Edition for free) and the atmosphere was awesome.

Im thinking on cancelling my instore game pre order , might as well wait and see if theres a raffle before i do now :) any idea how much the gems will cost instore ?

cheers

Edited by yesteryeargames

Don't. Just order online and save atleast £20 :heh:

Thanks for the tip, I just checked Amazon, if I order the 3DS, Pilotwings and SF4 I'd save £55 (!!) over what I'd be paying in-store at Game. Very tempting to just forget my preorder.

Any ideas if I'll likely get it on the 25th though, or is it too late to be guaranteed for launch? If I go for expedited delivery, it does say the estimate is the 25th but I'm not sure how accurate or likely that is?

Worth mentioning that GAME are also doing £25 for a game when bought with the console, though I'm not sure what games are in the offer at the mo. Will have all the info you need come Wednesday!

Worth mentioning that GAME are also doing £25 for a game when bought with the console, though I'm not sure what games are in the offer at the mo. Will have all the info you need come Wednesday!

Eagerly await this info, Dyson. If games really are going to be £40, this'll probably be the only way I'll be buying a launch title in store at GAME with my console. Will probably head to ASDA or something later in the day as I suspect they'll be selling 3DS games at or around the £32.97 mark, perhaps a little less for some.

Still a bit jaded by having to pay the higher price in store at GAME but I'd rather have that safety net, per-se, if there's an issue with the console so I can get it sorted immediately rather than having to post it back and potentially wait weeks if demand is so high.