Dante

3DS Console Discussion

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, Ashley said:

It turns out the password reset instructions it mentions are if you've already logged in on the console. When connecting if you don't remember the password you have to go to that link you mentioned.

Cheers!

No probs! 

Next step was to say Ash let's get on a Teams or Zoom call and sort this out. :p 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, darksnowman said:

No probs! 

Next step was to say Ash let's get on a Teams or Zoom call and sort this out. :p 

I'd rather just give up 😋

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Ashley said:

I'd rather just give up 😋

More passwords that you'd have to reset I guess.........

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, darksnowman said:

More passwords that you'd have to reset I guess.........

Teams I use for work and would rather not look at it, Zoom never works properly for me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Downloaded Pokémon Shuffle and Picross and wow the push to spend in the former is in your face. It's a shame, I actually like the gameplay and would pay for a version without all that. 

And I have a question which I'm just going to tag @Glen-i in on because let's face it...I have had a look and can use the Pokémon Transporter to send Pokémon from the Virtual Console games to bank, but can't use it to send to other VC games right? Like if I got Gold and Silver I can't use it to transfer between my copies can I?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Ashley said:

And I have a question which I'm just going to tag @Glen-i in on because let's face it...I have had a look and can use the Pokémon Transporter to send Pokémon from the Virtual Console games to bank, but can't use it to send to other VC games right? Like if I got Gold and Silver I can't use it to transfer between my copies can I?

Yep, you're right, it's a one way trip.

You can do it old-school via in-game trading, but you'd need another 3DS with the virtual console games to do that.

Edited by Glen-i
Didn't read that question properly.
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And to think, I did have 3 3DSes at some point...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Right, so I'm about to ask a weird question: How many 3DS games actually require the R button?

The reason is that my R button has been malfunctioning as of late (since about a year ago), and it's working less and less frequently. Lately I've played two games from the eShop, one where the L&R buttons were used only in menus (and since it cycled, I could just press L the whole time), and another where the R button was essential... except there was a button on the touch screen that could replace it, so I could still manage. And finally, a while back I played Azure Striker Gunvolt, which simply allowed me to remap buttons on the fly.

So my question is more: Which games would, in fact, be rendered useless if my R button stops working completely? This might influence some of my future purchases.

Edited by Jonnas

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Jonnas said:

So my question is more: Which games would, in fact, be rendered useless if my R button stops working completely? This might influence some of my future purchases.

The Monster Hunter Titles use R to dash, so that's a big nope right there.

Ironically, Monster Hunter Stories doesn't. But it's been a while since I played that, so I can't remember if it's required for anything else.

Mario Kart 7 would be difficult without being able to drift.

Resi Evil Revelations (and Mercenaries 3D) uses R to start aiming, so that's unplayable.

EDIT: The PMD games would also be difficult because R is used to restrict yourself to diagonal movement, which is more useful then it sounds.

That's just off the top of my head.

Edited by Glen-i
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Jonnas said:

Right, so I'm about to ask a weird question: How many 3DS games actually require the R button?

The reason is that my R button has been malfunctioning as of late (since about a year ago), and it's working less and less frequently. Lately I've played two games from the eShop, one where the L&R buttons were used only in menus (and since it cycled, I could just press L the whole time), and another where the R button was essential... except there was a button on the touch screen that could replace it, so I could still manage. And finally, a while back I played Azure Striker Gunvolt, which simply allowed me to remap buttons on the fly.

So my question is more: Which games would, in fact, be rendered useless if my R button stops working completely? This might influence some of my future purchases.

Honestly? A very large chunk of them require the R button... (You can blame Streetpass Plaza for normalising that).  The majority of the 3DS' heavy hitters make copious use of the shoulder buttons.

Ones that don't off the top of my head though, include Kid Icarus Uprising (unless you're left handed, in which case you're SOL), New Super Mario Bros 2, Virtue's Last Reward, Zero Time Dilemma, Hey! Pikmin, the Art Academy games, the Pokemon games, Shovel Knight, Shantae & The Pirate's Curse, Ultimate NES Remix, Mario Golf World Tour (fully playable with touch screen only) and Rhythm Heaven Megamix.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

You probably already know this, @Jonnas, but Bravely Second only uses the R button to quickly choose Default, you can easily do that with the menus instead, so that's a good choice.

Edited by Glen-i
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Jonnas said:

Right, so I'm about to ask a weird question: How many 3DS games actually require the R button?

The reason is that my R button has been malfunctioning as of late (since about a year ago), and it's working less and less frequently. Lately I've played two games from the eShop, one where the L&R buttons were used only in menus (and since it cycled, I could just press L the whole time), and another where the R button was essential... except there was a button on the touch screen that could replace it, so I could still manage. And finally, a while back I played Azure Striker Gunvolt, which simply allowed me to remap buttons on the fly.

So my question is more: Which games would, in fact, be rendered useless if my R button stops working completely? This might influence some of my future purchases.

It's probably time to look into ways of getting that shoulder button repaired or buying another 3DS outright as I don't think someone like you should be settling for a less than premium Fire Emblem experience. :eek: 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you, @Glen-i and @Dcubed. Those are some good tips. To be honest, I expected more trouble out of the Nintendo games, like Metroid or Luigi's Mansion, since Nintendo tends to be stubborn with (the lack of) button remapping. The Superstar Saga remake pretty much depended on the R button to switch formations, but at least I could do it with a couple of clicks on the touch screen (a bit cumbersome, but feasible, if the R button acted up).

I never got around to purchasing Kid Icarus... and it's lovely to hear Shovel Knight works fine, I figure the 3DS is the best platform for that game. Silver lining with Resi Revelations, I already disliked the control scheme! (Call me when you add motion controls to that game, Capcom)

@darksnowman To be honest, I might get a new one at some point, though I'd rather not. Switching accounts ain't easy from what I hear, and as long as I'm aware of what's playable and not, I think I can manage.

No worries about Fire Emblem, though. Playing it with self-imposed restrictions and/or obstacles is what I live for!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Jonnas said:

Thank you, @Glen-i and @Dcubed. Those are some good tips. To be honest, I expected more trouble out of the Nintendo games, like Metroid or Luigi's Mansion, since Nintendo tends to be stubborn with (the lack of) button remapping. The Superstar Saga remake pretty much depended on the R button to switch formations, but at least I could do it with a couple of clicks on the touch screen (a bit cumbersome, but feasible, if the R button acted up).

I never got around to purchasing Kid Icarus... and it's lovely to hear Shovel Knight works fine, I figure the 3DS is the best platform for that game. Silver lining with Resi Revelations, I already disliked the control scheme! (Call me when you add motion controls to that game, Capcom)

Err... The 3DS version does have motion controls... Better yet, the Switch version has even better motion controls that mimic RE4 Wii's sublime setup!

... All the more ironic that RE4 Switch is the only RE game on Switch to have no form of motion controls at all :angry:

Quote

@darksnowman To be honest, I might get a new one at some point, though I'd rather not. Switching accounts ain't easy from what I hear, and as long as I'm aware of what's playable and not, I think I can manage.

No worries about Fire Emblem, though. Playing it with self-imposed restrictions and/or obstacles is what I live for!

It's dead simple.  You just go through the 3DS Transfer process in the System Settings menu and it transfers everything over for you.  The only catch is that you physically need both systems on your person to do the transfer (which everyone was moaning about because they all wanted to sell their old consoles and still have access to their games); but the actual transfer process is fairly easy & painless really.

Edited by Dcubed
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Dcubed said:

Err... The 3DS version does have motion controls... Better yet, the Switch version has even better motion controls that mimic RE4 Wii's sublime setup!

Hm, it's been a long time since I played that demo, but I only remember being dissatisfied with the way it played and aimed. If the motion controls involved moving the 3DS too much, that may have been something I rejected.

Didn't know the Switch version had RE4-style controls... I guess I conflated it with the RE4 port. My interest in Revelations Switch is piqued, then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Jonnas said:

Hm, it's been a long time since I played that demo, but I only remember being dissatisfied with the way it played and aimed. If the motion controls involved moving the 3DS too much, that may have been something I rejected.

It works just like the N64 Zelda remakes, (go into First person, move the console to aim) which is why that and 4 are the only Resi Evil games I finished.

Either way, you still need to hold R, so motion controls won't help.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites