NEurope
Dante

3DS Console Discussion

Unfortunately, we're now in a culture where people want instant gratification. They want things now and always straight away. If not, it fails

Except it misses facts and is more negative than it should be. This isn't Nintendo's worst launch by far

I agree it wasn't the worst launch but it was still a mess. Regardless whether you personally think there hasn't been an issue with the launch period many think there was, hell Nintendo are finally admitting there was. A price cut this soon and a new advert to stop the confusion is a sure fire sign of this.

I agree with Ganepark in that it was stupid to assume that certain games were never gonna make it for the launch period ( Kingdom Hearts lol ) but I still think the article makes some very good points, especially the section on marketing the 3DS to the general public.

They really, really need to get the point across that this is a brand new console and not another DS revision like the Lite and DSi.

They really, really need to get the point across that this is a brand new console and not another DS revision like the Lite and DSi.

The new ads they're pushing everywhere on TV are accentuating that point. They don't even mention the 3D feature

Well, technically they're right. Nintendo is lowering the price and this decision did indeed come at a later point in time than the claims about the 3D making people feel nauseous.

You really should stop reading The Sun, though. :heh:

I was reading the Iwata Q&A posted on NeoGaf about the 3DS price cut..

I really don't like how they're looking at the 3DS. It just seems like they expect the product to sell more based on price point, and a member named 'neptunes' there posted something I definitely agree with:

Let me get this straight, Iwata is hoping people will buy the 3DS purely on the new pricepoint and not because of the software?

If the software was there the price wouldn't have been an issue.

Nintendo really need to get games out and fast in conjunction with the price reduction. No one's going to buy something with fuck all games.

Well, technically they're right.

It is right... it just fails to mention that it was the Sun in the first place that was making claims about it making people feel dizzy and sick.

Nintendo really need to get games out and fast in conjunction with the price reduction. No one's going to buy something with fuck all games.

It's not going to improve much. They've got lots of games in development, but they've only got so much teams to develop games and they all take their time. They can technically reduce the price on a whim, but they can't declare development of an unfinished game "finished", because they need it right now. And they've got another platform to supply with games.

Without third party support, the 3DS isn't going to have a more continuous stream of games than the Wii had. In fact, there were also large spans of time, where the DS did not have much quality software. What might help, is a stronger digital distribution service where smaller devs can florish. The big ones don't care for the 3DS no more than they did for the DS.

Has it occured to anyone that the 3DS might also not sell too well because of one of its biggest differences from the others DSs (3D) may just not be as popular in the long run?

For me, the 3DS has always been an 8/10 machine. I've said all along that it should have had a bigger screen, and just one of them if necessary. We can't pretend the iPhone and iPad don't exist. People are used to better screens now than when the DS launched. The DS owners I know want an iPad and are not interested in the 3DS at all. Whilst Nintendo probably couldn't have matched the size of the iPad, it should have been at least 4" to match the iPhone. OK, you may not be able to have a touchscreen parallax barrier (or maybe you can), but Nintendo should have decided which gimmick they were using and stuck to it, and above all else, the money saved from not having two screens should have been used to make one, better screen.

The 2nd thing requires hindsight: the 3D aspect just has not been that popular. I thought it would have been, but it wasn't. What doesn't require hindsight, though, is that stereoscopic 3D (ie. sending a different image to each eye) was always destined to be a passing fad. Holograms are not too far off, ie. actually projecting light at different lengths. In the meantime, 2D may simply be better. Today I watched, side by side, a DS Lite running Mario Kart and a 3DS running Pilotwings. However good your eyesight is, there is no doubt a stereoscopic image is blurrier and less bright than a 2D one. I'm afraid I don't think that can be overcome.

So, nice try Nintendo, but it didn't work this time. The 3DS can continue to be a great machine if the software is as good as it should be.

I really disagree with the 3D being blurrier. If you're at the right angle, it's not blurry at all. Heck, on OoT I noticed it seems to be blurrier when you turn the 3D off

One thing Nintendo could do is make their own games run better with the 3D turned off and 3rd-parties (I assume Nintendo wouldn't do this) could make some 2D-only games. That way, people could get past the "What's the point in buying a 3DS to play in 2D?" mentality (which is not my way of thinking; nonetheless, it exists). 2D-only/2D-enhanced games could take full advantage of the not-inconsiderable processing power.

Whilst Nintendo probably couldn't have matched the size of the iPad, it should have been at least 4" to match the iPhone.

Fun fact: The iPhone (4) (and consequently the iPod touch) have 3,5'' screens, so the diagonal is the same as the 3DS' top screen. I previously thought they had bigger screens, too - until I checked Apples product page. Only the resolution is massively higher of course, but you'll also obscure parts of the screens with your fingers while playing stuff on it.

I agree with the 2D-games sentiment and fully expect to see games that don't support 3D in the future. Although the latest UK 3DS ad I've seen seems to be targeted at male teens in puberty (and cheaply produced), the striking thing is how they never even once mention "3D without glasses". :heh:

That ad also made me smile for the wrong reasons. "Monumental titles" => Ridge Racer is shown. "state of the art online functionality" => what's that friendlist good for again? :heh:

Still, it's only four months into the 3DS lifetime, Nintendo has already realized that 3D without glasses is not a feature they can successfully build on and going by the size of the price cut, they're at least willing to invest in the system to make it a success.

I really disagree with the 3D being blurrier. If you're at the right angle, it's not blurry at all. Heck, on OoT I noticed it seems to be blurrier when you turn the 3D off

With the 3D on it has much less AA, thus looks a bit worse. This is pretty undeniable. Still looks fantastic though, I don't notice too much.

That ad also made me smile for the wrong reasons. "Monumental titles" => Ridge Racer is shown. "state of the art online functionality" => what's that friendlist good for again? :heh:

My favorite part was "many of the greatest games." What does that even mean? :heh:

Why is Gamefaq's poll saying "[...]but I'll enjoy the free games"?

Why is Gamefaq's poll saying "[...]but I'll enjoy the free games"?

Because all the people who buy a 3DS before August 12th (I think this is right) and connect to the eShop become

Nintendo Ambassadors

and get 10 free NES games and 10 free GBA games :bouncy:

Wow, really? What do I need to do? I guess they aren't available now?

Wow, really? What do I need to do? I guess they aren't available now?

Just connect to the eShop ASAP. As far as I'm aware, that's all you have to do.

EDIT - Yep:

These free games are available to anyone who owns a Nintendo 3DS system and uses a wireless broadband Internet signal to connect to the Nintendo eShop at least once before 11:59 p.m. Eastern time on Aug. 11. These users will automatically be registered in the Nintendo 3DS Ambassador program.

http://press.nintendo.com/articles.jsp?id=30048

Edited by Grazza

I'm getting quite tempted to buy a 3DS and I may pick one up next payday... Welsh_gamer and Lostmario are doing well in convincing me that they're well worth it, even though they're not attempting to convince me in the slightest. I just know they're absolutely loving gaming together on Res Evil Mercenaries.

Edited by Kav

I'm getting quite tempted to buy a 3DS and I may pick one up next payday... Welsh_gamer and Lostmario are doing well in convincing me that they're well worth it, even though they're not attempting to convince me in the slightest. I just know they're absolutely loving gaming together on Res Evil Mercenaries.

I'm also getting tempted...have a sudden urge to just buy one.

Unfortunately though I have no money; I just spent everything I had on a holiday. :(

Ocarina of Time in my hands is sooo tempting though, despite the lack of anything else on it...

I've had no urge to buy a 3DS until reading the Nintendo Ambassador thing above. 20 free games? What's come over Nintendo? Still, probably a bad sign that its older games and not new 3D ones that get my interest. ::shrug:

Ine's got a blue 3DS and I'm in love with it. It's beautiful to look at, the interface is great, there's a fair bit of content pre-loaded on the system and the 3D works like a charm for me.

I've only got the original DS, so this seems like a massive step up from it. I'm annoyed, because I was trying to convince myself that I didn't need this. But, the more I use, the more I want. This, Kid Icarus, New Mario and Luigi's Mansion make me want this.

Fucking Nintendo.