NEurope
Dante

3DS Console Discussion

The annoying thing is that there will be some people out there who will believe this boolsheet. All of it.

The whole of Britain? :heh:

There's so much negativity with regards to gaming amongst certain sectors. So, crap like this won't help. If Nintendo were cutting corners, then at least you could say that the Sun had a point. But, Nintendo seem to have covered themselves well with any potential issues.

The annoying thing is that there will be some people out there who will believe this boolsheet. All of it.

And so it begins.

Had someone return their 3DS today unopened. It was a gift for their son but they'd heard about all the bad press and decided against it before the birthday. I tried explaining to them about how it wasn't recommended for under 6s (he was 10) and that they could even come in store and try it out, but the woman said "I think we'll leave it alone until they've fixed whatever's wrong".

WTF? Do you not understand that there's nothing wrong with the console? That the 3D effect isn't something that's 'defective' and can be fixed in future iterations? If you're going to use the 3D, use it liberally and as recommended. It's not gonna turn your 10 year old blind.

Stupid woman. As if she didn't understand what the problem was and was just carried along by the fake bad press.

That is part of the problem, though. The general public won't know how the device works. I don't even know how it works, how you can use the 3D without the need for glasses. That's my ignorance. So, these people will rely on the people "who they think are in the know" (in this case, they believe it is The Sun) to supply them with information that they believe they need to know.

In this case, The Sun needs to be supplying the facts. That is their role. To inform the public of things that they might not be in the know about.

If this woman did hear about it through the Sun; to her, they are in the know, as she is at that point ignorant of how the system works. Unless she read up about the ins and outs beforehand, which she clearly hasn't, otherwise she wouldn't be returning the system. So, she believes The Sun to be in possession of the facts, so went with their response and returned the system.

She won't be the only one. Not everyone lives on a games forum and will know how exactly the system can portray 3D without the need for glasses. This makes me even angrier at papers or trash like The Sun, because they are very misleading at the best of times.

I dont know if they do already or not, but Nintendo need to big up the 3D depth slider now to make sure people actually realise that if the 3D is causing them any fucking problems at all they can turn it off completely.

I find this whole situation seriously annoying. People I know who are gamers, but not Nintendo hardcore, are even sceptical about the eye/headache issues now. There's a bad vibe getting out quickly and it could cause Nintendo problems fast.

Although if it drives down the price of the system...then hey I cant complain too much...

I wonder if this all this bad press that the 3DS is unjustly getting is going to contained in the UK, because everyone abroad knows not to listen to the Sun seriously, or if it will get picked up by other media across the globe. I certainly hope that this unfortunate stigma will die out soon, before spreading across the world. So far I haven't heard anything about it over here, but then again our media very rarely focus on gaming.

There hasn't been any bad press about the 3D in 3DS in Norway. Hasn't been much press at all though.

Never seen The Sun quoted either btw!

I wish someone would sue The Sun over it.

Nintendo really need to. It is defamation of their good image.

Problem is, the damage is done. Even if they print a retraction, it's not going to be read by most.

They wont print a retraction though, The Sun are actually believing their own shit. They make me worry about journalism in the future. There goes my career

Edited by Serebii

What happened to returns not being affected by your "statuatory rights"

Things should only be returned if defective

Let them return their 3DS units, they'll be missing out and then it'll be bought again by someone who actually wants one, knows how it works ard will actually appreciate it.

The 'journalists' of The Scum are morons if they believe what they printed to be true and people who have read said article and agree with it like sheep without questioning or listening to reason are even more foolish for allowing themselves to be brainwashed. :p

Edited by S.C.G

Still, it's detrimental to Nintendo and could cost Nintendo dearly which will have an effect on us

Still, it's detrimental to Nintendo and could cost Nintendo dearly which will have an effect on us

Yes but ultimately there's nothing that we can do, if someone wants to return something that they haven't opened then they're entitled to, if someone came up to me at work wanting to return a 3DS for a reason similar to the one Dyson stated above then I would attempt to persuade them otherwise but ultimately the customer is always 'right'...

...the customer can also be stupid, ill-informed, stubborn etc but there's little that can be done about that sadly. ::shrug:

Yes but ultimately there's nothing that we can do, if someone wants to return something that they haven't opened then they're entitled to,

No, they're not. The closest thing is Distance Selling Regulations which covers online and over-the-phone orders.

However, most places generally do refund unopened stuff out of courtesy.

However, most places generally do refund unopened stuff out of courtesy.

This then, because if a customer brought back a 3DS to a reasonably large high-street store citing that 'the 3D could make my child go blind!' then they will issue a refund without question.

It would be better if large stores were allowed to put extra notices alongside the 3DS stating that this isn't the case - because it isn't - but I can't see that happening.

I do wish people would stop buying tabloid papers. They are full of inaccurate, biased shit. You can get better and more accurate journalism online for free. Murdoc is far too powerful anyway.

Why are you even bothered? I mean, does it have any effect on your enjoyment of the console? Just stop reading awful newspapers/sites. Easy.

Very brief, had a statement from nintendo which didn't really say much to help the situation.

Very brief, had a statement from nintendo which didn't really say much to help the situation.

That was... very anticlimatic...