NEurope
Dante

3DS Console Discussion

Well it's decided. I will try to get one tomorrow, along with Pilotwings. Thank you all for the reviews and feedback, you should work for the Nintendo marketing department :D

Well it's decided. I will try to get one tomorrow, along with Pilotwings. Thank you all for the reviews and feedback, you should work for the Nintendo marketing department :D

I'm happy to, when they produce great machines like this and the GameCube. :)

Now I have the 3DS in my hands, I'm beggared as to why Nintendo didn't radically change the design; some smoother corners, taking a queue from smartphones. The clamshell brick design - layered or not - is nearly a decade old (counting the GBA:sp). Its just not 'pocketable'.

Regardless of whether it was deliberately built into the system (i suspect it was, for some odd reason) the loose hinge just feels poor quality.

I don't consider the short battery life a particular problem (but appreciate for some it would be), but heavens above the length of time it takes to charge is fucking ridiculous; crazy. And the charging cradle? Bollocks - just another charger, just slightly more convenient. I do use it (and would rather have it than not - I hate wires) but its still just another piece of toot hanging around - and by the end of the year, i'll probably have a couple of Qi wireless charging devices, why the heck they didn't include this as an option, i'll never know. The tech is already out there! As before, I will still have multiple chargers hanging around.

I'd also have rather had in-game settings instead of the depth slider - although, I suspect the slider is mechanical.

Have been hearing about the bottom screen causing scratches on the top screen. I have noticed some smudges from it but this has me worried

Worrying indeed. I would have assumed they'd have built in a small gap between the two?

Niggles over.

The device itself its brilliant. To quote our postie (who is a friend and had a brief play earlier) "fuck-ing hell", and that sums up my feelings too; its a fun and fresh experience, but hindered again by some bizarre decisions over at Kyoto.

RAM always sounds a lot lower than you would expect in a console.

The Xbox 360 and PS3 both have 512MB.

The PS3 actually only has 256MB of RAM, but it does have the advantage of a faster and more powerful processor than the 360.

Regardless of whether it was deliberately built into the system (i suspect it was, for some odd reason) the loose hinge just feels poor quality.

I think it's to prevent the hinge cracking like on the DS Lite.

So, Nintendo ships 4 million units worldwide by the end of March for launch. Nintendo reports record sales. Nintendo don't provide numbers. Units aren't sold out. Shit like this gets posted

http://www.gamedaily.com/articles/news/nintendo-3ds-launch-what-happened/

Yeah I hate it when a well-reasoned article get published. Why can't they just accept that the 3DS is the greatest thing ever!

Yeah I hate it when a well-reasoned article get published. Why can't they just accept that the 3DS is the greatest thing ever!

As a journalist, I take exception to that. That article is missing and warping facts and that is NOT what you do as a journalist. That does not make it well-reasoned.

I can understand the price issue, as I know many people got a DS for christmas or people don't want to spend the money on something which their children already have but seriously, listing the iPad 2 as the main reason the 3DS failed to sell as much? I don't see that myself.

If the 3DS is not selling very well (and I do stress "if"), I put it down to the price. I've no problem with it (it's worth the money), but handhelds are something that parents buy their kids (maybe one for each of their kids). Let's say they want the 3DS + Nintendogs (which doesn't have the same impact this time, for obvious reasons), it's a lot more expensive this time round.

This is not necessarily cause for alarm. It'd probably be good to compare it to the original DS, not just the Wii, which I don't remember seeming too successful from Day 1 either.

As a journalist, I take exception to that. That article is missing and warping facts and that is NOT what you do as a journalist. That does not make it well-reasoned.

Well what would you correct about it then?

There's always this, PSP closes in on 3DS in Japan

I had a go on Ashley's 3DS the other day. I just can't see why the DS needed to be succeeded yet. Also, the design is horrendous. It looks like the aborted love child of My Little Pony and Battenberg cake.

I guess I might pick one up when Pokemon arrives.

Nintendo is not one to not blow their own horn and given that its been out less time in America and NOA have already said "we broke records", and Japan did the same after their opening weekend, its odd that NOE have yet to say anything. I think that's where some of the speculation is coming from, the uncharacteristic quiet.

That being said NOE will apparently issue a statement tomorrow.

I was going to post last weeks Japanese sales but i have been beaten by Daft.

People are also using these sales as reason for Nintendo fall from greatest.

As far as I'm concerned, Nintendo could have only sold one 3DS...to me. I'd still be happy.

update on the free AR t-shirt on another website apparently e-mails will be sent out next week to the winners 3dsbuzz. com/what-happened-with-the-club-nintendo-ar-t-shirt-promotion/

T'is just a slow(ish) start. The DS hardly smashed it out of the gate.

As far as I'm concerned, Nintendo could have only sold one 3DS...to me. I'd still be happy.

Well exactly. Sales are fanboy fodder.

Nintendo is not one to not blow their own horn and given that its been out less time in America and NOA have already said "we broke records", and Japan did the same after their opening weekend, its odd that NOE have yet to say anything. I think that's where some of the speculation is coming from, the uncharacteristic quiet.

That being said NOE will apparently issue a statement tomorrow.

The articles are all mentioning US launch though because they just listed "record breaking" and no details

There's always this, PSP closes in on 3DS in Japan

I had a go on Ashley's 3DS the other day. I just can't see why the DS needed to be succeeded yet. Also, the design is horrendous. It looks like the aborted love child of My Little Pony and Battenberg cake.

I guess I might pick one up when Pokemon arrives.

That's ridiculous. There was a Final Fantasy launch on PSP and that always boosts it

My point exactly.

Two days after the US release Nintendo are already boasting about it. Five days after the EU release and still nothing.

It doesn't mean its done badly in the EU, obviously, its just unusual for Nintendo.

Yes "record breaking" is PR trickery but its not exclusive to America.

I thought that the 3DS beat pre-order records?

Then again, most of those were flameboy.

Well what would you correct about it then?

I'd use facts rather than conjecture. I'd remove any bias and positive nor negative slant and provide the core details.

My point exactly.

Two days after the US release Nintendo are already boasting about it. Five days after the EU release and still nothing.

It doesn't mean its done badly in the EU' date=' obviously, its just unusual for Nintendo.

Yes "record breaking" is PR trickery but its not exclusive to America.[/quote']

Maybe they needed more time to collate the details from the various areas

But then there'd be no one to StreetPass with!

But then there'd be no one to StreetPass with!

Oh, what a tragedy :p

That's ridiculous. There was a Final Fantasy launch on PSP and that always boosts it

Yeah, that might be a point if it wasn't for the fact that those a pretty much the normal PSP sales numbers.

update on the free AR t-shirt on another website apparently e-mails will be sent out next week to the winners 3dsbuzz. com/what-happened-with-the-club-nintendo-ar-t-shirt-promotion/

I registerd mine on wednesday the 23rd and have not heard back yet i thought i might have invalidated my chances by putting in my vip code too early, at least there is some hope that this is that not the case.

Edited by yesteryeargames