NEurope
Dante

3DS Console Discussion

there's very little that can actually be improved upon

Stylus placement change to the right of the console.

Headset port (surprised they got rid of this when they're starting to focus on online gaming).

Start + Select placement change.

A fractionally better CPU.

Battery improvement (if they bring out better batteries, they will most likely make it exclusive to the revision to entice people to upgrade).

Depending on NGP success, maybe a second analogue stick that is optional for developers (Although they would have to make the game playable without it).

Just my guesses about what improvements they will make for the oh so obvious revision that will be coming soon. I estimate 2 years.

I read it somewhere that if you aren't playing games and just left it in sleep mode, it will last 24hours.. though whether that was with wireless on I'm not sure. But I can't imagine why you'd leave it in sleep mode that long if it wasn't on.

My trip into town today has sen me come across 4 people in street pass mode.

I also went back to the 3DS event to play some more games that I didn't last time I was there - Rayman, Asphalt, Splinter Cell and Ghost Recon.

Rayman looked rough with basic graphics and iffy frame rate compounded by a shoddy camera.

Asphalt surprised me by being much better than I was expecting and in the short time I played it, I think I enjoyed it more than my go on Ridge Racer at least.

Splinter Cell was difficult to gauge because I couldn't see a thing - the game is so dark. Turning on night vision helped me to see me and the enemies... I just couldn't see where I could freely walk. So I gave up on that pretty quickly after stabbing a couple of guys... guys which walked into me but didn't bother to attack me.

And finally Ghost Recon. Not only was Ghost Recon better than those games, it seemed a genuinely decent game. Eurogamer likened it to Fire Emblem and that seems spot on... except with guns instead of swords. If I was to go out and buy another game right now game based on those I've played, it would be Ghost Recon.

Stylus placement change to the right of the console.

Headset port (surprised they got rid of this when they're starting to focus on online gaming).

Start + Select placement change.

A fractionally better CPU.

Battery improvement (if they bring out better batteries, they will most likely make it exclusive to the revision to entice people to upgrade).

Depending on NGP success, maybe a second analogue stick that is optional for developers (Although they would have to make the game playable without it).

Just my guesses about what improvements they will make for the oh so obvious revision that will be coming soon. I estimate 2 years.

Is any of that particularly important, though..? ::shrug:

Nintendo felt similar none issues to be big enough problems to change previous iterations of the DS and people were compelled enough to go out and buy them despite owning previous versions.

Also picked up the Hori screen protector in town today so if you have any questions about that (of which I doubt there could be many) let me know.

Well.. between the DS and DS Lite, the console was made much more aesthetically pleasing, more compact and the brightness of the screen made a big difference! The DS lite was the catalyst to get me involved in the touch screen goodness :heh:

With the move to the DSi, they added cameras and DSi Ware. It wasn't enough of a change to make me upgrade, but it certainly seems like a bigger upgrade than any of the things Debug Mode mentioned they could do to the 3DS..

The DSi XL did, however, seem quite unnecessary though it did serve a purpose to some, I imagine..

Having the stylus at the top of the 3DS instead of the side or the placement of certain buttons are hardly major things to worry about..

Got back from Liverpool. 8800 steps, 1 StreetPass and still full battery.
Were you also in pedometer mode on nintendogs + cats?

Curious to know if Street Pass still functions during dog walks. Coins and system steps do, would be awesome if SP did as well. :cool:

Were you also in pedometer mode on nintendogs + cats?

Curious to know if Street Pass still functions during dog walks. Coins and system steps do, would be awesome if SP did as well. :cool:

Fir the first half I was in Nintendogs mode (4500ish steps...I got a collar for it), for the second half I closed the game (which is where I got the solitary StreetPass). I would think that StreetPass would still work in this mode (as it's where you change your StreetPass settings for Nintendogs).

Well.. between the DS and DS Lite, the console was made much more aesthetically pleasing, more compact and the brightness of the screen made a big difference! The DS lite was the catalyst to get me involved in the touch screen goodness :heh:

With the move to the DSi, they added cameras and DSi Ware. It wasn't enough of a change to make me upgrade, but it certainly seems like a bigger upgrade than any of the things Debug Mode mentioned they could do to the 3DS..

The DSi XL did, however, seem quite unnecessary though it did serve a purpose to some, I imagine..

Having the stylus at the top of the 3DS instead of the side or the placement of certain buttons are hardly major things to worry about..

Well yes, some of Debug's ideas are purely design style issues rather than technical ones but you yourself have just said the re-design of the hardware form from "Phat" to Lite played a part in your purchasing so you shouldn't underestimate the effect because that's all that was too.

Personally, item placement slightly annoys me because I have mistook the power button for Start on multiple occasions and the previous stylus location allowed me to get it out of the machine, use it, and put it back whilst leaving my thumb off the face buttons for the smallest time possible. Now I have to go looking for it.

But I'm sure there are some people who prefer it how it is.

I don't believe any warrant a hardware revision but I wouldn't be surprised to see them make those changes (except second stick, they wouldn't do that) in a new 3DS model.

One thing I don't like about the Play Coins is the "10 per day, 30 max" limit.

What's this about nintendogs? Have t even touched it yet, why is there a separate walking mode, surely that should just be it's street pass function? Confused.

Anyone streetpassed street fighter, ridge racer or nintendogs yet?

I love how the system has only just come out and everyone is already wondering what the hardware revision will be like a year or two from now. It will definitely happen, but try and enjoy the console for what it is at the moment. It has an analog stick, destroying the only real issue I ever had with the original DS systems.

The only thing a 3DS hardware revision currently needs is a battery life improvement from what I've read. Then again I think the DSi battery life is fairly bad, so it isn't really my place to comment on what I think is acceptable nowadays or not.

Ghost Recon is apparently very good. I'll be keen to have a play on that when I finally figure out if I'm still getting a 3DS or not. That, Street Fighter, Samurai Warriors and Ridge Racer all seem like very attractive launch options.

I'm also thinking about just importing one from the US. It's significantly cheaper and I'm sure they'll be enjoying software we won't as time goes on. Are there any major downsides other than being unable to (currently) play UK releases?

Edited by Guy

Not to you maybe, but for increased appeal and enticement to upgrade, this is the stuff I guess they'll be doing.

It's funny you mention that the placement of the stylus being not much to worry about. The original DS had it in a similar location(but to the top right of the unit rather than the left) and this was changed to a set location on the right side of the unit easy sliding out with your finger. The original DS placement wasn't bad at the time, but the 3DS easily has the worst placement of it in my opinion.

Battery is important, especially with this focus of keeping online at all times so you can communicate with friends and receive micro updates whilst you play. The major battery hog when I play is easily having the wireless on. I've managed to squeeze an extra hour and a half - 2 hours out of Street Fighter with it off. It's also the main criticism, some thing Nintendo always takes into account when revising hardware (GBA clam-shell design for SP, Nintendo DS more compact and aesthetically pleasing for DS lite).

The 'fractionally better CPU' is the most unlikely of my list, but considering some in-built software often struggles with frame rate (looking at you AR Games with 3D full blast and wireless..), if developers keep maintaining shovelware rather than genuinely optimising games for the 3DS we might find games struggling harder later on. But like I said, very unlikely.

Second analog stick is just something I think they will be considering, especially with NGP promising portable online COD, a huge money maker that Nintendo will definitely keep an eye on. Some people just don't like touch screen controls for FPS games.

It's all guesswork but I'm certain battery improvement, stylus placement and a smaller unit will be out within 2 years.

I love how the system has only just come out and everyone is already wondering what the hardware revision will be like a year or two from now.

Heh, I only really joined in because of the comment ShadowV7 made about there being little improvement needed.

But still, it's fun speculating.

I'm also thinking about just importing one from the US. It's significantly cheaper and I'm sure they'll be enjoying software we won't as time goes on. Are there any major downsides other than being unable to (currently) play UK releases?

It depends how bastardy they be with certain online games and not allowing them to connect to servers of other regions.

Wasn't it the case that Animal Crossing:WW US would not work with Animal Crossing EU online?

Admittedly, that's the only instance I can think off but it could happen down the line.

Heh, I only really joined in because of the comment ShadowV7 made about there being little improvement needed.

But still, it's fun speculating.

It's not so much people speculating, it's just amusing how much we've grown to expect it from Nintendo now. Everyone I have spoken to about 3DS has said "Just wait for the revision in a year. There'll be more software and it'll be cheaper."

I can't help it, I want one now and I'll buy the revision too. Nintendo have me by the balls and they're never letting go no matter how much I struggle. Bastards.

And the screens are on... trying to remove dust is such a pain in the arse exercise.

The screen look fine with it on. The only bad thing I can say about it is that there are two holes for the speakers on the top screen and you can see the difference the protector makes to the the black - still shiny but a different kind of shiny. It's a small price to pay though and I'd rather be safer in knowledge it's on than off.

Unlike the DS ones though, you only get one set of sheets instead of two... tight wads!

And the screens are on... trying to remove dust is such a pain in the arse exercise.

The screen look fine with it on. The only bad thing I can say about it is that there are two holes for the speakers on the top screen and you can see the difference the protector makes to the the black - still shiny but a different kind of shiny. It's a small price to pay though and I'd rather be safer in knowledge it's on than off.

Unlike the DS ones though, you only get one set of sheets instead of two... tight wads!

I do worry about screen protectors. sort of affecting the 3D as they could be distracting or summit...I dunno get what I mean? I have them on my DSi but not my ipod touch as the two I tried I hated the feel of.

Why would you want to be connected in any way to a site like Kotaku? They seem to have become the new Spong.

Not quite, but they're getting there.

I just thought it'd be cool to see when they get their review copies for games :heh:

How much have Game and Gamestation been selling the 3DS for? I did have a look on Friday but none of their advertising boards actually stated a price.

Did anyone else attend the spotpass event in London today. Was well worth the visit.

Managed to meet some nice people, increase my Mii plaza by about twenty five people (which in turn netted me more puzzle pieces and advanced my quest progress)

Also traded two people some Pokemon.

Oh and there was a guy from http://www.wearearcade.com taking notes & Interviewing for a feature he is going to be writing.

Managed to meet some nice people, increase my Mii plaza by about twenty five people (which in turn netted me more puzzle pieces and advanced my quest progress)

Could you tell me how to use them in StreetPass Quest, please? I just don't get it. Do you have to have met them at least twice before you can use them? Do you have to have SteetPass Quest open, not just the Plaza?

Could you tell me how to use them in StreetPass Quest, please? I just don't get it. Do you have to have met them at least twice before you can use them? Do you have to have SteetPass Quest open, not just the Plaza?

Basically once you meet them in your plaza you have to use the quest mode straight away.

Say for example I meet three people, I invite them into my plaza and then I use them in the quest mode. If I exit out the plaza and then re enter I won't be able to use them in the quest mode.

Hope that makes sense?

Basically once you meet them in your plaza you have to use the quest mode straight away.

Say for example I meet three people, I invite them into my plaza and then I use them in the quest mode. If I exit out the plaza and then re enter I won't be able to use them in the quest mode.

Hope that makes sense?

Ah, so that's why I couldn't send the solitary Mii I found to his death. I quit out of it before trying anything. A bit rubbish, tbh.

Thanks Gentleben. Hopefully I'll "meet" the same people again. I might seem odd, though, if I lurk around the same places every day!

The pedometer is also cool, but it'd be good if you could earn more than 10 coins per day. It only takes 1,000 steps, which is nothing really.