NEurope
Dante

3DS Console Discussion

does anyone know how to send over miis from the wii? I've tried pressing the buttons as it says but no luck.

I don't k ow what to suggest if you've tried the button combination as I tried and it worked. What I will say is make sure your cursor isn't over and icon or a mii as it tries doing stuf when you press the buttons

Just press A/B/1 and hold 2 for about 10 seconds. Just press them in a sequence and not hold the other 3 down. Only the last you hold down.

After hearing all the good things about the 3DS on here, I am starting to get really tempted. While it may make more sense to wait for the second version, I don't know if I can physically do it. From what I have heard there aren't really too many problems with the 3DS as is anyway. The battery life shouldn't be too much of an issue for me, as I play at home mostly.

So what do the rest of you think? Is it worth it to get it now, even though the only game I want at the moment is Pilotwings, or should I wait for the 3DSlite? If it is worth it, which color can you recommend more? I heard that blue looks a lot better in person than on pictures, but I do like the black as well.

Thanks in advance for your feedback :)

Just get it. I really don't see any point in waiting for 3DS 2.0. If there is one, it's gonna be a long way off, and if there is, there's very little that can actually be improved upon, the hardware is literally crammed and Nintendo were nitpicky about the designs.

There's lots to do with the console, even if you only get Pilotwings. While the blue is more shiny and glossy, I prefer the sleeky, sexy black.

I say wait. There is obviously going to be another model, which will probably come out next year, and it will probably be an "XL" model. It seems like a long way off, but think of it like this:

Buy now = little to no games to play

Buy later = lots of games to choose from

If I was to buy one now, I'd probably be bored of it by next week and not pick it up again until OOT arrives.

there's very little that can actually be improved upon.

I already listed several pretty big improvements they could (should) make a few pages back. I'm not really expecting them to go ahead with them, but I can dream right

Edited by or else you will DIE

I haven't played my 3DS since yesterday afternoon. Seriously considering taking it back to GAME for a swap because the wobble with the top screen is making me uncomfortable (in the sense that it's a new piece of kit but feels like it's going to fall apart). Playing the AR stuff, it wobbles back and forth and while it's only .4cm at most, it's noticeable and definitely doesn't feel secure. It feels more secure before clicking it into the first position. The only thing is, a wobbly screen isn't exactly grounds for a swap really, as I'm sure they'd pass it off by saying it's supposed to be like that. Don't know, will probably have a word with them tomorrow or something and see what they say.

Has put a dampener on the 3DS for me anyway. I've spent more time using my DS lite to play Okamiden than I have my 3DS just because of the top screen and the hinge not feeling right.

I don't think's bothersome or unormal at all. Don't notice it when I play Resort Wings. If it's going wobble, I really have to give the 3DS a push.

Are you people using the cradle or plugging it straight into the mains?

Mains. Maybe I should test the cradle though, just to make sure it works.

does anyone know how to send over miis from the wii? I've tried pressing the buttons as it says but no luck.

Do you have both the Mii Maker on the 3DS and the Mii Channel on the Wii open at the same time? How many icons have you got on the right-hand side of the Mii Channel on the Wii (the "Connect to DS" button is the third one down)? If you don't have that icon, the button press on your Wii Remote should make it appear. If I recall correctly, you press three buttons, then hold the fourth one down.

So what do the rest of you think? Is it worth it to get it now, even though the only game I want at the moment is Pilotwings, or should I wait for the 3DSlite?

I recommend it, but I advise anyone to assume they won't like the 3D. You may well like it (I do), but it's better to assume you'll be playing in 2D. That way, you can make your decision on how much you want the games and the hardware in general.

Assuming you want Zelda, there's no way I'd recommend waiting for the Lite or XL model, because that'll be at least two years away, maybe three, maybe never. Plus, it's great fun to be using the machine now, for things like StreetPass and the pedometer.

Basically, as you want Pilotwings, I'd definitely go for it. There may be the possibility of saving a few quid if they do a Zelda bundle in June, but I don't think it's worth waiting, considering the fun you could have now.

If it is worth it, which color can you recommend more? I heard that blue looks a lot better in person than on pictures, but I do like the black as well.

The blue is fine, but I must be the only person who thinks it doesn't look quite as good as the pictures! In real life, it looks more turquoise and sparkly, sort of like a motorbike ride you'd put 20p in (in my day) at the seaside.

I haven't played my 3DS since yesterday afternoon. Seriously considering taking it back to GAME for a swap because the wobble with the top screen is making me uncomfortable (in the sense that it's a new piece of kit but feels like it's going to fall apart).

I would. I know others have the same problem as you, but I haven't noticed anything like that at all with mine.

I already listed several pretty big improvements they could (should) make a few pages back. I'm not really expecting them to go ahead with them, but I can dream right

The only thing that is actually worthwhile improving is battery and cameras, nothing else really needs an upgrade which is just going to make it more pricey than it already is, which in turn will turn mode heads away. Touchscreen will be unlikely if it can take two inputs, but that'll restrict some software that'll try to avoid, and I don't see any games using that as an enhancement ala DSi/Black/White.

They've even said that their not planning a 'lite' version just now, not to mention there's no real need for it since they're satisfied with this model.

Everything is pointing that there isn't going to be one for a good while, and just no point waiting for new hardware, just waiting for the software you want.

Just get it. I really don't see any point in waiting for 3DS 2.0. If there is one, it's gonna be a long way off, and if there is, there's very little that can actually be improved upon, the hardware is literally crammed and Nintendo were nitpicky about the designs.

There's lots to do with the console, even if you only get Pilotwings. While the blue is more shiny and glossy, I prefer the sleeky, sexy black.

I think your very much mistaken if you think its a long way off. The DSlite came just a year after the original. We are basically looking at DS 2004/2005 - DSlite 2006 DSi 2008/2009 DSiXL 2009/2010

So thats 4 models in 5/6 years why are we not to expect the same again? There are tons of lil things that can be tweaked even if it just small revisions like improved battery life, different screens, they are gonna come. I fully expect there to be a revision some time next year with better batteries and likely new colours.

I think your very much mistaken if you think its a long way off. The DSlite came just a year after the original. We are basically looking at DS 2004/2005 - DSlite 2006 DSi 2008/2009 DSiXL 2009/2010

So thats 4 models in 5/6 years why are we not to expect the same again? There are tons of lil things that can be tweaked even if it just small revisions like improved battery life, different screens, they are gonna come. I fully expect there to be a revision some time next year with better batteries and likely new colours.

Why are you using previous models to work out a timeline?

Don't expect it, cause they said it and are happy with this model, and for various reasons. They have no plans at all for a revision. I don't know why you're using a DS timeframe for this and expecting the same thing to happen.

Thanks for the opinions so far. What I have concluded so far is that even if they release a new version of the 3DS in a year or two, it would be more fun to already have one until then. Chances are if I were to own a launch 3DS, that I would skip the second iteration, unless there are some crazy new features. Apart from the price I can't really think of any reason not to get one at the moment, even if my games library might be slightly limited for a few months. And, after all I do still have loads of DS games that I can also play.

This might be a bit weird, but from what I know about the 3DS so far, the pedometer/streetpass stuff really sounds the most exciting to me.

Anyway, thanks again for your insights, looks like I may be getting a 3DS after all :bouncy:

I think it's obvious that there will be new models but for now there doesn't need to be.

This little machine has surprised me more than I thought possible.

I loved the original DS - more so than the home consoles. And I have all 3.

You just cant get the kind of gaming experience on a home console that you can on a DS system. Yes, that statement can be reversed, but I don't get excited about the yearly online COD shooters and poor replicas on the 'hardcore' consoles. That's just me.

Waiting for an updated 3ds is fine if you want to do that.

But I can guarantee that when that day comes, there will be several people still complaining that it doesn't do exactly what they want it to.

I am 100% satisfied that I pre-ordered and have my 3ds. It is by far and away a huge leap forward for Nintendo in terms of power and online functionality. And I can say confidently that we are going to see some amazing games in the future on this system. And that is because of the 3d. The reviewers saying that after a while you will just turn it off are wrong IMO. Playing SSF with the 3d on never fails to make me think 'wow'.

And that is a launch title.

So yeah, wait if you like but i'm glad that i am experiencing everything that this console has to offer early on, so when the changes do come, I am sure I will appreciate them a lot more.

Does anyone know if there are any good sites to get Mii's from? (via QR codes)

I know there is that one japanese site, but I don't know half of them on there.

Why are you using previous models to work out a timeline?

Don't expect it, cause they said it and are happy with this model, and for various reasons. They have no plans at all for a revision. I don't know why you're using a DS timeframe for this and expecting the same thing to happen.

we could go back further and look at the GBA's iterations. It's because a precedent has been set so its safe to assume the same will happen again and I'm sorry but them saying they won't do it means jack? If your saying my looking at past hardware revision cycles doesn't hold water than the same logic could be put on them saying they won't do it.

The fact is they make a mint out of revising hardware, both in the new customers each version brings in as well as the poor saps (of which I'm usually one) who feel they have to pick up each and every version. So why why would they stop this cycle? Of course they are gonna say they aren't doing going to revise, they need to get people on board for what is a pricey handheld with a new higher RRP for games.

I'm not knocking the machine as it is now and I'm sure its a great piece of kit that people clearly don't want to think will be an inferior product anytime soon but they will find things to tweak that will be enough to warrant revisions.

The difference this time is that the starting version already looks great. The original DS was big and ugly and the GBA lacked decent stuff like a backlight and rechargeable battery (although it looked and felt miles better than the SP).

The difference this time is that the starting version already looks great. The original DS was big and ugly and the GBA lacked decent stuff like a backlight and rechargeable battery (although it looked and felt miles better than the SP).

Excellent point, although I don't remember finding the DS "Phat" especially ugly at the time, probably because I didn't know what Nintendo had in store for us in the future. As for GBA, I actually preferred the SP, but to each their own, I suppose.

might look great yes but is does still have that elephant in the room of the battery life. The original DS might have looked ugly but had great battery life, great screens etc....

It was more that console designs didn't matter at the point the Phat was released. I think it was actually the PSP that started all that.

It was more that console designs didn't matter at the point the Phat was released. I think it was actually the PSP that started all that.

hmmmmm...hardly there were 3 (4 in japan because of Gameboy Light) revisions of the Gameboy (GB,GB Pocket, GBC)and as many of the GBA.

With Asda selling games at just under £33 the higher price point isn't a huge issue for me. Argos have games priced at £34.99 so im just gonna use the vouchers I got when I traded in my XL to pick up a couple of games for £30. The new Ghost Recon sounds interesting and the vouchers are valid till the end of July so hopefully Zelda or RE:Merceneries will be out by then.

GBC is different to GB you fiend!

meh really? still used the same games? Very few games were GBC exclusive most would play on GB minus the colour.

EDIT

tried to look for a list of GBC games but a lot seem to come up on lists that i know for a fact work with original GB cos I have them.

Wikipedia does list it as a successor bet meh I consider it no more a successor than the DSi was to the DS.

Edited by flameboy

hmmmmm...hardly there were 3 (4 in japan because of Gameboy Light) revisions of the Gameboy (GB,GB Pocket, GBC)and as many of the GBA.

I was talking about aesthetics, not revisions.

Got back from Liverpool. 8800 steps, 1 StreetPass and still full battery.

I was talking about aesthetics, not revisions.

Got back from Liverpool. 8800 steps, 1 StreetPass and still full battery.

ok fair enough. On a more positive note it is good to hear that streetpass etc...doesn't affect battery life. Although the town I live in is tiny so doubt I would pick up that many but the coins for steps will always come in handy.