NEurope
Dante

3DS Console Discussion

8 hours ago, Jonnas said:

Right, so I'm about to ask a weird question: How many 3DS games actually require the R button?

The reason is that my R button has been malfunctioning as of late (since about a year ago), and it's working less and less frequently. Lately I've played two games from the eShop, one where the L&R buttons were used only in menus (and since it cycled, I could just press L the whole time), and another where the R button was essential... except there was a button on the touch screen that could replace it, so I could still manage. And finally, a while back I played Azure Striker Gunvolt, which simply allowed me to remap buttons on the fly.

So my question is more: Which games would, in fact, be rendered useless if my R button stops working completely? This might influence some of my future purchases.

Honestly? A very large chunk of them require the R button... (You can blame Streetpass Plaza for normalising that).  The majority of the 3DS' heavy hitters make copious use of the shoulder buttons.

Ones that don't off the top of my head though, include Kid Icarus Uprising (unless you're left handed, in which case you're SOL), New Super Mario Bros 2, Virtue's Last Reward, Zero Time Dilemma, Hey! Pikmin, the Art Academy games, the Pokemon games, Shovel Knight, Shantae & The Pirate's Curse, Ultimate NES Remix, Mario Golf World Tour (fully playable with touch screen only) and Rhythm Heaven Megamix.

• Thanks 1

You probably already know this, @Jonnas, but Bravely Second only uses the R button to quickly choose Default, you can easily do that with the menus instead, so that's a good choice.

Edited by Glen-i
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Jonnas said:

Right, so I'm about to ask a weird question: How many 3DS games actually require the R button?

The reason is that my R button has been malfunctioning as of late (since about a year ago), and it's working less and less frequently. Lately I've played two games from the eShop, one where the L&R buttons were used only in menus (and since it cycled, I could just press L the whole time), and another where the R button was essential... except there was a button on the touch screen that could replace it, so I could still manage. And finally, a while back I played Azure Striker Gunvolt, which simply allowed me to remap buttons on the fly.

So my question is more: Which games would, in fact, be rendered useless if my R button stops working completely? This might influence some of my future purchases.

It's probably time to look into ways of getting that shoulder button repaired or buying another 3DS outright as I don't think someone like you should be settling for a less than premium Fire Emblem experience. :eek: 

• Haha 1

Thank you, @Glen-i and @Dcubed. Those are some good tips. To be honest, I expected more trouble out of the Nintendo games, like Metroid or Luigi's Mansion, since Nintendo tends to be stubborn with (the lack of) button remapping. The Superstar Saga remake pretty much depended on the R button to switch formations, but at least I could do it with a couple of clicks on the touch screen (a bit cumbersome, but feasible, if the R button acted up).

I never got around to purchasing Kid Icarus... and it's lovely to hear Shovel Knight works fine, I figure the 3DS is the best platform for that game. Silver lining with Resi Revelations, I already disliked the control scheme! (Call me when you add motion controls to that game, Capcom)

@darksnowman To be honest, I might get a new one at some point, though I'd rather not. Switching accounts ain't easy from what I hear, and as long as I'm aware of what's playable and not, I think I can manage.

No worries about Fire Emblem, though. Playing it with self-imposed restrictions and/or obstacles is what I live for!

8 minutes ago, Jonnas said:

Thank you, @Glen-i and @Dcubed. Those are some good tips. To be honest, I expected more trouble out of the Nintendo games, like Metroid or Luigi's Mansion, since Nintendo tends to be stubborn with (the lack of) button remapping. The Superstar Saga remake pretty much depended on the R button to switch formations, but at least I could do it with a couple of clicks on the touch screen (a bit cumbersome, but feasible, if the R button acted up).

I never got around to purchasing Kid Icarus... and it's lovely to hear Shovel Knight works fine, I figure the 3DS is the best platform for that game. Silver lining with Resi Revelations, I already disliked the control scheme! (Call me when you add motion controls to that game, Capcom)

Err... The 3DS version does have motion controls... Better yet, the Switch version has even better motion controls that mimic RE4 Wii's sublime setup!

... All the more ironic that RE4 Switch is the only RE game on Switch to have no form of motion controls at all :angry:

@darksnowman To be honest, I might get a new one at some point, though I'd rather not. Switching accounts ain't easy from what I hear, and as long as I'm aware of what's playable and not, I think I can manage.

No worries about Fire Emblem, though. Playing it with self-imposed restrictions and/or obstacles is what I live for!

It's dead simple.  You just go through the 3DS Transfer process in the System Settings menu and it transfers everything over for you.  The only catch is that you physically need both systems on your person to do the transfer (which everyone was moaning about because they all wanted to sell their old consoles and still have access to their games); but the actual transfer process is fairly easy & painless really.

Edited by Dcubed
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Dcubed said:

Err... The 3DS version does have motion controls... Better yet, the Switch version has even better motion controls that mimic RE4 Wii's sublime setup!

Hm, it's been a long time since I played that demo, but I only remember being dissatisfied with the way it played and aimed. If the motion controls involved moving the 3DS too much, that may have been something I rejected.

Didn't know the Switch version had RE4-style controls... I guess I conflated it with the RE4 port. My interest in Revelations Switch is piqued, then.

6 hours ago, Jonnas said:

Hm, it's been a long time since I played that demo, but I only remember being dissatisfied with the way it played and aimed. If the motion controls involved moving the 3DS too much, that may have been something I rejected.

It works just like the N64 Zelda remakes, (go into First person, move the console to aim) which is why that and 4 are the only Resi Evil games I finished.

Either way, you still need to hold R, so motion controls won't help.

On 28/07/2021 at 9:24 PM, Dcubed said:

It's dead simple.  You just go through the 3DS Transfer process in the System Settings menu and it transfers everything over for you.  The only catch is that you physically need both systems on your person to do the transfer (which everyone was moaning about because they all wanted to sell their old consoles and still have access to their games); but the actual transfer process is fairly easy & painless really.

Right, now that I'm dedicating some time to properly fulfilling my 3DS backlog, I should probably do this for sure.

But just one question: does my account truly transfer, or is my account copied across two consoles? Because I'd be totally down to reserve my old 3DS for VC titles, as well as some that don't require shoulder buttons.

1 minute ago, Jonnas said:

Right, now that I'm dedicating some time to properly fulfilling my 3DS backlog, I should probably do this for sure.

But just one question: does my account truly transfer, or is my account copied across two consoles? Because I'd be totally down to reserve my old 3DS for VC titles, as well as some that don't require shoulder buttons.

It's all or nothing.  Everything gets moved over to the new system; including DSiWare, 3DS games, save files, Miis; the lot.

You cannot split them across two systems.

• Sad 1

Well, seems like I'll have to reserve the old one for specific physical games, then. Likely those that use the touch screen a lot.

1 minute ago, Jonnas said:

Well, seems like I'll have to reserve the old one for specific physical games, then. Likely those that use the touch screen a lot.

Why do you need two seperate 3DS consoles? Why not just have everything on the one machine?

Just now, Dcubed said:

Why do you need two seperate 3DS consoles? Why not just have everything on the one machine?

I don't want to stop using the old one entirely. I don't plan on selling it (I can't sell a defective console on a clean conscience), and it would be nifty to have a selection of titles in one place, and distinct one in the other.

Plus, the old one is this edition specifically:

image;s=771x465

I don't want to stop using it

• Thanks 1

Well that’s fair enough then.  Remember that save files for physical games are stored on the 3DS game card itself; so you should probably just move all of your digital games over to the fully working 3DS and just use the Zelda one for retail games that don’t use the shoulder buttons then.

• Like 1

@Glen-i

I have a very important question for you. What is the difference between Dillon's Rolling Western and Dillon's Dead Heat Breakers? It seems the latter has racing elements to it, but is the tower defence aspect the same otherwise?

I saw Dead Heat Breakers on a used games store for less than 9€, and I'm wondering if that's a good introduction to the series.

8 hours ago, Jonnas said:

@Glen-i

I have a very important question for you. What is the difference between Dillon's Rolling Western and Dillon's Dead Heat Breakers? It seems the latter has racing elements to it, but is the tower defence aspect the same otherwise?

I saw Dead Heat Breakers on a used games store for less than 9€, and I'm wondering if that's a good introduction to the series.

Rolling Western is purely about the Tower Defense aspect. The Last Ranger is a direct sequel that has more of the same but with some new mechanics to spice things up.

Dead Heat Breakers, on the other hand, is a separate game (plot makes no reference to the eShop games) that comprises of two parts, the Tower Defense sections where you control Dillon, and the preparation section where you control the Mii, mostly.

The Tower Defense sections are mostly what you'd expect. Rolling Dillon around to lay the smack down on enemies, while building gun towers to help cover the places you might not be able to get to.

The preparation section is where you play various minigames to raise funds to make the Tower Defense sections easier for yourself. One of these minigames is the racing aspect you saw. Although, the racing mechanics do come into play during the Tower Defense sections. I think they're a lot of fun.

Dead Heat Breakers is probably the one I'd recommend for newcomers, simply because it's the easiest one. The two eShop entries pull no punches. It also helps that Dead Heat Breakers clearly had a higher budget due to it being a retail game.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Apologies for the necrobump, but I saw this today and thought it was super cool!

https://www.acer.com/us-en/monitors/spatiallabs/acer-spatiallabs-view

Acer have just released a portable 15' screen that uses the same Parallax Barrier + Headtracking S3D tech as in the New 3DS! It's a 4K display that can display glassesless S3D at full 1080p via HDMI/USB-c!

Really nice to see someone keeping the glassessless S3D dream alive with new advancements in display tech! Man, I'd kill to see Nintendo use this tech with Switch 2! I fucking love S3D! :D 

Edited by Dcubed

Death Day for Wii U and 3DS online play is April 8th...

... we should get a few N-E 3DS online nights in before it's all over!

• Sad 2

Would be good to give it a send-off. Not sure what online games I have except MK7 and Fantasy Life.

Yup, it’s so stupid that it never happened officially.  Clearly the hardware could do it, and having now tried it myself, the S3D effect works great, and the games run well.

What a shame that they missed out on that opportunity, if only for VB Wario Land to be given a wider audience.  It’s a great game that is well worth your time, but is otherwise trapped on a piece of hardware that is seemingly designed to give you a neck fracture (No, really.  If you have never actually used a Virtual Boy, I cannot overstate how incredibly uncomfortable it is to actually use!).

Ahh well.  At least I can finally play my copy on the hardware it should’ve always been released on :D

Edited by Dcubed
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Never thought I'd see the day where Virtual Wario Land would be made available in proper playable form... Will keep an eye on this.