NEurope
Dante

3DS Console Discussion

Earthbound is an RPG that's unlike any other. Whether that's a good or bad thing depends on your tolerance for some old-school RPG shenanigans.

The game is rough while you just have Ness in your party, it gets a lot more manageable once he's not alone.

Might as well get Xenoblade HD at this point if you want a super long RPG.

Golden Sun: Dark Dawn gets a real bum rap. It's not as good as the first two, which should be played before even thinking of touching Dark Dawn. But it's a perfectly serviceable game with some weird pacing issues. It takes about 3 quarters of the game to get the plot going and then it abruptly ends in a pretty unsatisfying way. Gameplay is fine though.

I'd go Earthbound.

• Thanks 2

Yeah, Earthbound is the obvious choice.

Xenoblade? Might as well wait for the upcoming HD remaster on Switch and get that version instead.

Dark Dawn? It's the weakest of the Golden Sun games by a wide margin and you shouldn't even consider playing it until you've played the original two GBA titles (which are amongst the best RPGs ever made).

Edited by Dcubed
  • Thanks 2

Thanks all for your help everyone, the advice, while not exactly hyping up any of the choices, has been incredibly helpful & appreciated.

Earthbound it is!  I’m just getting started with the whimsical adventure.  I know I’m not playing it now, but I’m pleased that the hours I put into the original GBA Golden Sun games will at least help me understand Dark Dawn more when I get around to playing it.  Thanks for your help!

• Thanks 1

Glad to hear you've opted for Earthbound, @WackerJr.

On 01/05/2020 at 7:43 AM, Glen-i said:

Golden Sun: Dark Dawn gets a real bum rap. It's not as good as the first two, which should be played before even thinking of touching Dark Dawn. But it's a perfectly serviceable game with some weird pacing issues. It takes about 3 quarters of the game to get the plot going and then it abruptly ends in a pretty unsatisfying way. Gameplay is fine though.

I played through Golden Sun (1) twice and I thought it ended extremely abruptly. The first time through I was genuinely shocked to see the credits roll when they did!

Edited by darksnowman

13 minutes ago, darksnowman said:

Glad to hear you've opted for Earthbound, @WackerJr.

I played through Golden Sun (1) twice and I thought it ended extremely abruptly. The first time through I was genuinely shocked to see the credits roll when they did!

That's because it was originally planned as a single game but due to certain constraints it was split into two. 

It's strange, I LOVE the first game but have never got around to playing the sequel. I have it on the Wii U so there's nothing really stopping me from playing the thing.

22 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

It's strange, I LOVE the first game but have never got around to playing the sequel. I have it on the Wii U so there's nothing really stopping me from playing the thing.

Is it the stupidly long password that's stopping you?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

21 hours ago, Glen-i said:

Is it the stupidly long password that's stopping you?

But the password entry music is SO GOOD!

Best Password Entry Music Ever!

• Like 5

It's all gone!?  Holy hell that was fast!

Edited by Dcubed
  • Sad 1

so Nintendo are starting to scale down its 3DS. they never done much with it anyway, real pity it could have been deadly:bowdown:

On 19/06/2020 at 2:11 PM, Dcubed said:

It's all gone!?  Holy hell that was fast!

Yeh, I saw that and got excited for a fleeting minute when I saw some of those titles.  I was quickly deflated as I gradually realised each & every one had already been snaffled!

I'm not sure when I'll ever get around to giving it a proper go but I've ordered Bravely Second from Argos for £2.49 :smile:

It would have been rude not to at that price!

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, nekunando said:

I'm not sure when I'll ever get around to giving it a proper go but I've ordered Bravely Second from Argos for £2.49 :smile:

It would have been rude not to at that price!

Man, I would absolutely want in on some of those Argos deals. Dragon Quest VII for £1.49, Fire Emblem Echoes and Fates Birthright both under £10, etc. 

Unfortunately the Argos stores by me never have any stock available for 3DS games ::shrug:

19 minutes ago, Julius said:

Man, I would absolutely want in on some of those Argos deals. Dragon Quest VII for £1.49, Fire Emblem Echoes and Fates Birthright both under £10, etc. 

Unfortunately the Argos stores by me never have any stock available for 3DS games ::shrug:

Yeh.. nothing else was available, unfortunately, so I was surprised to see Bravely Second have stock available for collection on Thursday!

I was so tempted to buy Captain Toad for £7.99 even though I've already completed it fully on Wii U and Switch..

4 hours ago, nekunando said:

Yeh.. nothing else was available, unfortunately, so I was surprised to see Bravely Second have stock available for collection on Thursday!

I was so tempted to buy Captain Toad for £7.99 even though I've already completed it fully on Wii U and Switch..

Honestly? It’s well worth getting the 3DS version at that price, even if you already own the other versions (I snagged a copy when Argos were doing a similar deal before); if only to be able to marvel at the absolutely INSANE coding magic on display! Holy Hell! CT3DS has no right to look this close to the Wii U original! :o

It’s definitely my winner for Most Technologically Impressive 3DS Game!

Edited by Dcubed

4 hours ago, nekunando said:

I just bought a copy of Captain Toad for £7.49 on Amazon: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07BPGYHFM/

• Like 1

Whelp, the R button on my 3DS stopped working entirely. It had been wonky for a while, but it would usually work again in a little while. Finally gave in, it seems.

Does anybody know if this is a known issue? And if so, is there a way to clean underneath the button (assuming that's the problem) or otherwise try to fix it myself?

Official statement :

“We can confirm that the manufacturing of the Nintendo 3DS family of systems has ended. Nintendo and third-party games for the Nintendo 3DS family of system will continue to be available in Nintendo eShop, on Nintendo.com and at retail. The existing library of more than 1,000 Nintendo 3DS games contains many critically acclaimed titles and can provide years of content to explore and enjoy.”

“We currently have no plans to end any existing online services for the Nintendo 3DS family of systems. Online play and Nintendo eShop will continue to be available and it will be possible to access and redownload all previously purchased content in the foreseeable future.”

Edited by MindFreak
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Sad 1

Someone was selling these games pretty cheap, so I figured what the heck. I'm kind of back into the 3DS anyway with me recently finishing Samus Returns and A Link Between Worlds, so I might as well use that momentum. Plus, Link's birthday is coming up, plus I never played Hyrule Warriors.

Played the first two missions of Hyrule Warriors Legends, and it plays pretty decent on a 3DS, coming from Fire Emblem Warriors on Switch. Was surprised by the cutscenes and storytelling so far, and it looks like a lot of fun, and seems to be more varied than Fire Emblem Warriors with regards to cast, environments and boss battles.

And if anyone wants to play Tri Force Heroes in 2020, hook me up. :grin:   

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

On 14/10/2020 at 7:32 AM, Vileplume2000 said:

Someone was selling these games pretty cheap, so I figured what the heck. I'm kind of back into the 3DS anyway with me recently finishing Samus Returns and A Link Between Worlds, so I might as well use that momentum. Plus, Link's birthday is coming up, plus I never played Hyrule Warriors.

Played the first two missions of Hyrule Warriors Legends, and it plays pretty decent on a 3DS, coming from Fire Emblem Warriors on Switch. Was surprised by the cutscenes and storytelling so far, and it looks like a lot of fun, and seems to be more varied than Fire Emblem Warriors with regards to cast, environments and boss battles.

And if anyone wants to play Tri Force Heroes in 2020, hook me up. :grin:   

Darn I sold my copy of TriForce Heroes a few months ago.  It can be good fun in multiplayer if you can play with the right people.  Online with strangers can be ok, it very much depends on the ability of the others & whether any of you have completed a level before.

• Thanks 1

Sounds like a plan! When would you have time? I'm fairly full this weekend but I may have some room here or there. Mostly on Saturday I think, or Sunday evening.