Super Mario 3D Land – 12.41 million
Animal Crossing: New Leaf – 12.10 million
Super Smash Bros. for 3DS – 9.45 million
Pokemon Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon – 8.28 million
Tomodachi Life – 6.40 million

Console:

– 3DS at 74.84 million units worldwide
– 3DS software at 375.97 million units worldwide

https://nintendoeverything.com/nintendo-financial-results-nintendo-fy3-2019-q3-switch-at-32-million-units-total-forecast-lowered-to-17-million/

• Thanks 1

I see they've slashed the sales forecast for the 3DS from 4 million to 2.6 million. The decline has finally started to happen. If you look at the Japanese charts the signs were there last year. A lot of the 3DS software wasn't really selling that well on release. It's had a hell of a run.

75 million HW sales in the era of smartphone gaming is pretty amazing tbf

Just now, Ronnie said:

75 million HW sales in the era of smartphone gaming is pretty amazing tbf

Yup. I think Nintendo have done the best they could with the hardware, especially given the rough start the 3DS had.

Seeing how the Switch has been so successful for them, it will be interesting to see if we ever get another dedicated handheld from Nintendo. I'm not talking about a Switch Lite or something like that. I mean different hardware that plays different games. 

• Thanks 1

Nintendo didn't give the 3DS any time in the recent Direct so I decided to show the little handheld some love and picked up these games for it yesterday.

DzbxmhxW0AItky5.jpg

I already started playing Luigi's Mansion last night. The controls are a little fiddly ( hate using the gyros and the nub isn't that great ) but despite these niggles I have enjoyed my time with it so far. No doubt i'll be playing more of the game over the weekend.

I picked up Etrian Odyssey as I would really like to get into the series. The games usually have a low print run and go for a stupid amount later on down the line ( seriously, a sealed copy of Etrian Odyssey V went for over £140 on Ebay the other day ) that I thought it would be best to buy this while it's still at a normal price.

Animal Crossing I snapped up purely because Argos had it on sale for £13.99 and I figured it would be worth a punt at that price.

Edited by Hero-of-Time
  • Like 4

Nice selection! How much did they all cost?

I haven't played with my 3DS for years! Must dig it out and find the charger – I've got loads of great games to play!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Locky said:

Nice selection! How much did they all cost?

I haven't played with my 3DS for years! Must dig it out and find the charger – I've got loads of great games to play!

Wow! Locky is here! Welcome back!

How much did it cost? Too much. :p  The only one on sale was Animal Crossing but i'm finding that 3DS games are going out of stock pretty fast these days and a lot of retailers seem to be dropping the games quicker than they used to. I figured now is the time to start snapping up games that I have missed out on before they start going up in price or become hard to find.

13 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Wow! Locky is here! Welcome back!

How much did it cost? Too much. :p  The only one on sale was Animal Crossing but i'm finding that 3DS games are going out of stock pretty fast these days and a lot of retailers seem to be dropping the games quicker than they used to. I figured now is the time to start snapping up games that I have missed out on before they start going up in price or become hard to find.

Ha ha, do you remember me? It's been a while!

I haven't really kept up with 3DS news over the years. They seem to have brought out all kinds of random models for the kids! Is it on its way out now do you think? I'll have to start picking up a few games like WarioWare Gold!

13 minutes ago, Locky said:

Hey Locky, I remember you and your amazing bargain hunting skills (pretty sure that David Dickinson avatar was my doing too :heh:) welcome back! :) 

:peace:

37 minutes ago, Locky said:

I haven't really kept up with 3DS news over the years. They seem to have brought out all kinds of random models for the kids! Is it on its way out now do you think? I'll have to start picking up a few games like WarioWare Gold!

Indeed I do. Always good to see member return, however brief it may be.

Yeah, I think the sun is setting on the little handheld. Sales of it have started to dip faster than Nintendo were expecting and a lot of users have migrated over to the Switch. Given the lack of any kind of notable announcements at the recent Direct, as well as the rumour of a cheaper, smaller Switch on the way, I think Nintendo are ready to pull the plug on the old girl.

It's a great gaming machine for anyone who has missed out on it. There are a host of great games at reasonable prices to be played on the thing. My backlog for it is insane and i've still yet to pick up all the games I want for it.

27 minutes ago, RedShell said:

Hey Locky, I remember you and your amazing bargain hunting skills (pretty sure that David Dickinson avatar was my doing too :heh:) welcome back! :) 

:peace:

Hello! Yeah, I think it probably was you actually!

Were is the bargains thread? Does it still exist? I can't seem to find many bargains nowadays apart from the odd cheapie at Argos or Smyths Toys!

3 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Indeed I do. Always good to see member return, however brief it may be.

Yeah, I think the sun is setting on the little handheld. Sales of it have started to dip faster than Nintendo were expecting and a lot of users have migrated over to the Switch. Given the lack of any kind of notable announcements at the recent Direct, as well as the rumour of a cheaper, smaller Switch on the way, I think Nintendo are ready to pull the plug on the old girl.

It's a great gaming machine for anyone who has missed out on it. There are a host of great games at reasonable prices to be played on the thing. My backlog for it is insane and i've still yet to pick up all the games I want for it.

That's a shame if it does finish. Do you think there will be a replacement?

I've no idea what the Switch does to know if that's any good!

Having two young children has certainly curbed my game playing unfortunately!

3 minutes ago, Locky said:

Were is the bargains thread? Does it still exist?

Don’t think there is a general bargains thread anymore, we have one for Switch though:

3 hours ago, Locky said:

That's a shame if it does finish. Do you think there will be a replacement?

If the rumours are to be believed then the smaller Switch ( probably handheld only model) will be it's replacement. With the 3DS on its last legs, Nintendo needs a cheaper handheld only option for parents and young children, especially with both Animal Crossing and Pokemon looking to arrive this year.

Can’t say that it didn’t have a hell of a run! Crazy to think that it continued to get good first party support for 8 whole years! That’s mad! Not even the original DS lasted that long! (First party supported ended with Black 2/White 2; released 7.5 years after the DS’ original launch in Nov 2004!)

I’ll be very surprised if the Switch library ever ends up matching the 3DS’ one from a retail game standpoint.  I doubt we’ll see that level of quality and quantity from Nintendo ever again; not in the HD era!

Can’t really recommend the little guy enough; its library is an embarrassment of riches! It took a long time to get it off the ground, but by God it did! :peace:

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Dcubed said:

Can’t really recommend the little guy enough; its library is an embarrassment of riches! It took a long time to get it off the ground, but by God it did! :peace:

Yup. I spent a good part of last weekend jumping between Luigi's Mansion, WarioWare Gold and Animal Crossing: Happy Home Designer. 3 games, all offering something fun and unique. The handheld has a great amount of variety on it and I can see me sticking with the platform for a long while yet. 

I love that it can also play DS games as well. It means I can jump back into that back catalogue of games quite easily if I  have a hankering to play something from that generation. Much like I done last year when I played through Chrono Trigger.

At this point the Switch has pretty much been out for 2 years now and I can honestly say that in that time I have spent more time on my 3DS than I have my Switch.

• Thanks 3

2 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

It's funny when you think how negative a lot of people were about it at first, speaking like it would never get going.  Personally, I genuinely loved it from the moment I turned it on, from the 3D thrills of Pilotwings to the luxury of an OOT remake.  Fire Emblem: Awakening and Animal Crossing: New Leaf were truly excellent, Shantae and the Pirate's Curse was the perfect 2D platformer and Etrian Odyssey IV, V and Nexus have kept me occupied for hours and hours.  The 3DS accompanied me everywhere I went throughout much of the 2010s, and in my opinion, there's never been a better handheld.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

It had a rough start with the high pricepoint and not great launch line-up, but after the pricedrop it went like crazy. I liked the 3D from the beginning, and was amazed to be playing Street Fighter IV on it. But the list of good software is big: Mario 3D Land, Monster Hunter, the Zelda remakes, Resident Evil: Revelations, Animal Crossing, Ace Combat: Assault Horizon, the Layton games, just to name the first few that pop into my head.

I loved taking the thing with me on my commutes. Not even for playing but for Streetpass: before the Switch came out you could usually find some passes when travelling from station to station. Then going into the Plaza to collect the puzzle pieces or play the RPG. Loved it and it's a shame the Switch does not have a pass function like that.

For long trips the 3DS is still my go-to machine. The Switch feels too expensive, a bit more flimsy with the detachable Joy-cons and battery life is a thing. Last year I took my 3DS with me to South America, I've bought Kirby Triple Deluxe for the long plane trip. This year I'm going to Japan and the 3DS is again coming with me, and I've picked up Pokémon Ultra Moon for the occasion. That plus some backlog should keep me busy on the long flights and train rides there!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Vileplume2000 said:

I loved taking the thing with me on my commutes. Not even for playing but for Streetpass: before the Switch came out you could usually find some passes when travelling from station to station. Then going into the Plaza to collect the puzzle pieces or play the RPG. Loved it and it's a shame the Switch does not have a pass function like that.

I do miss being able to collect the puzzle pieces and playing the little games that came with nabbing a few Streetpasses. It's little things like this that are sorely missing from the Switch and makes it feel like the hybrid has no personality to it. I often wonder how different certain things would be ( stuff like the Switch eShop actually having music) had Iwata still be around. :( 

True, it had that real Nintendo magic, and made you use the 3DS even when not playing games. To be fair this was before the smartphone era so I don't know if this would be appreciated by many nowadays as now almost everyone has a multimedia machine in his pocket.

In that regard the Switch is more like the DS, which had a modern and clean interface. But even that had pictochat as a social aspect.

Here's a nice little piece about the 3DS and how it survived during a time when phones were taking over the handheld space.

HERE

I know i've said this before but my 3DS still gets more play time than my Switch. At the moment i'm currently playing through Detective Pikachu, Pokemon Ultra Moon, Mario Party: Island Tour and Fire Emblem Echoes. It's a system with an incredible library and one that i'm happy to keep playing on.

Edited by Hero-of-Time
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Here's a nice little piece about the 3DS and how it survived during a time when phones were taking over the handheld space.

HERE

I know i've said this before but my 3DS still gets more play time than my Switch. At the moment i'm currently playing through Detective Pikachu, Pokemon Ultra Moon, Mario Party: Island Tour and Fire Emblem Echoes. It's a system with an incredible library and one that i'm happy to keep playing on.

It's great that you're still able to enjoy your 3DS, I really struggle to go back to it now. Bought Hey! Pikmin not too long ago and only managed to play for a while before giving up. :hmm: The last game I truly enjoyed on 3DS was WarioWare Gold.

11 minutes ago, RedShell said:

It's great that you're still able to enjoy your 3DS, I really struggle to go back to it now. Bought Hey! Pikmin not too long ago and only managed to play for a while before giving up. :hmm: The last game I truly enjoyed on 3DS was WarioWare Gold.

Is it the low resolution of the screen or lower end graphics of the games? Graphics have never really bothered me and I find I can quite easily go and play an older console game without any issue. As long as the core gameplay is good then i'm a happy gamer. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

46 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Is it the low resolution of the screen or lower end graphics of the games? Graphics have never really bothered me and I find I can quite easily go and play an older console game without any issue. As long as the core gameplay is good then i'm a happy gamer. 

Don't think so (although the frame rate in Hey! Pikmin was a bit off-putting) I mean I can definitely still play and enjoy retro stuff today. Not sure exactly what it is about 3DS at the moment, but whenever I go back to it I just seem to lose interest very quickly. ::shrug:

• Sad 1