NEurope
Dante

3DS Console Discussion

I played through Link Between Worlds on Hero Mode recently. I've also started Dillon 2 again. 3DS still gets an obscene amount of my gaming time. It's still easier to get into then the Switch.

Edited by Glen-i

1 hour ago, Glen-i said:

It's still easier to get into then the Switch.

For me, the software just isn't there for it yet. There are too many games, both indie and retail, that I have played else where, which means I'm left waiting until a new compelling title arrives ( this will probably be Sushi Striker ). The 3DS has an amazing catalogue that I'm still catching up on. I'm more than happy for Nintendo to continue their support of it.

So it seems like the battery on my 3DS XL has finally had it, the thing won’t stay on for more than a few seconds unless it’s plugged into the mains now. And what with Nintendo looking to continue support of the 3DS for a while yet, I suppose I should look into sorting out a replacement battery for it. So yeah, just wondering if anyone has experience of doing this and could perhaps recommend a good alternative to the standard battery. I’ve read many horror stories about unofficial ones exploding and stuff, so would quite like to avoid that outcome if possible. :heh:

I suppose the other option is to just system transfer back to my original 3DS, as the battery on that still seems to work fine. But yeah, if anyone could point me in the direction of a decent replacement XL battery, that would be cool. :)

8 minutes ago, RedShell said:

So it seems like the battery on my 3DS XL has finally had it, the thing won’t stay on for more than a few seconds unless it’s plugged into the mains now. And what with Nintendo looking to continue support of the 3DS for a while yet, I suppose I should look into sorting out a replacement battery for it. So yeah, just wondering if anyone has experience of doing this and could perhaps recommend a good alternative to the standard battery. I’ve read many horror stories about unofficial ones exploding and stuff, so would quite like to avoid that outcome if possible. :heh:

I suppose the other option is to just system transfer back to my original 3DS, as the battery on that still seems to work fine. But yeah, if anyone could point me in the direction of a decent replacement XL battery, that would be cool. :)

Are things like these an option for you?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BROKEN-Nintendo-New-3DS-XL-Red-Handheld-Game-Console-AS-IS/302732066768?hash=item467c3cbfd0:g:mqgAAOSwZVJa8YJJ

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, RedShell said:

Hadn’t thought about that actually, although I reckon I’d still rather try to get a brand new battery than risk potentially getting another dud from a busted system. :hmm: 

I understand.

After some Googling, the anwser seems simple: call Nintendo support, they don't sell it on the site (apparently), but they do sell them through support it seems. For 15 pounds.

• Thanks 1

@Redshell. Stick with first party. I bought a cheap 3rd party one for my OG 3DS and it lasted 2 weeks before packing in.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

On 11/05/2018 at 9:56 AM, RedShell said:

Although mine isn't anywhere near as bad as yours, mine doesn't seem to last as long compared to what it used to, so I might look into getting 1 or 2 backups as well.

On 13/05/2018 at 2:28 PM, Ike said:

Although mine isn't anywhere near as bad as yours, mine doesn't seem to last as long compared to what it used to, so I might look into getting 1 or 2 backups as well.

Haven't you got like every special edition 3DS in existence though? :heh: In which case you could just open up one of those and swap the battery. :hehe:

I think the main thing that messed up the battery on my XL was running it off the mains for very long periods of time, although it's probably had way more than 500 charges too, which is apparently the amount where performance starts to drop.

• Haha 1

WOW!

... that is fugly as sin!

Worst Zelda LE console ever?

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Nintendo of Japan have released a PDF that shows all 1233 Japanese 3DS games. 

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/summersale2018/pdf/3dscat_all.pdf

Crazy!

Incredible number of titles. Although the list appears to have absolutely everything, even stuff like the YouTube app is on there. :hehe: 

Anyway, since fixing up my XL I’ve really been getting back into 3DS again. Such a great system! :cool: Did some Monster Hunting the other day (noticed quite a few event quests that I hadn’t seen/played before) and have also been revisiting some of my eShop collection, played a bit of Weapon Shop de Omasse yesterday, man that game is as hilarious as ever. :D

So looking forward to WarioWare Gold next week! :bouncy:

• Like 1

Crazy to think that Switch has almost caught up with the 3DS’ total number of games already! (It’s already shot past 900!)

3DS really did get shockingly poor 3rd party support considering how well it sold! (Including indie game devs!)

My rediscovery of 3DS continues (as I wait for WarioWare to arrive) yesterday saw me playing some Mario Golf & Tennis. Man, it’s just embarrassing how barebones Aces is compared to the 3DS titles! :shakehead Both of those games (especially golf) have so much cool gear to unlock and great mini-games too.

How the hell did they not bring back Super Mario Tennis for the Switch game?! ::shrug: That alone would’ve made a big difference to the very lacking single player experience in Aces. I think it was also a bad idea to drop Miis and the customisation features. I mean all that stuff is already part of the 3DS games, they literally just had to tidy it up a bit (if that) and bring it over to Switch.

I suppose there’s at least some hope that a potential Mario Golf on Switch could see the return of some of that stuff, golf is definitely the better of the two 3DS titles, so it wouldn’t be surprising to see a similar situation happen on Switch. Even so, I really think they should look at patching in some stuff to Aces before doing anything else, outside of multiplayer that game is a serious letdown. :hmm:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Kotaku: Releasing Cool Games On 3DS Is Such A Waste

I usually enjoy Jason's work but I don't agree with this at all and honestly i'm a bit tired of people calling for the death of the handheld. The thing still brings in money for Nintendo and is a great entry point for younger gamers. Also, how the hell would many of the WarioWare mini games work on the Switch? The same goes for the Atlus dungeon crawling JRPGs, what with them using the two screens. Both games would have to be significantly altered to work with the Switch.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Yep, totally agree with you @Hero-of-Time.

Console elitism is an ugly look for any person. Especially in a case where some 3DS games would have massive downsides with a Switch port.

This is also ignoring that some people flat out can't afford a 300 quid console. But screw them, right? Why should they have anything nice if it means I can't play it on a Hi-def screen?

People whining about how the 3DS is still trucking along need a right slap in the face.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks @Hero-of-Time.  Seriously can't wait for this one!  The EO games just keep getting better and better, in my opinion, and this looks like a celebration of all that's come before.

On 27/04/2018 at 10:01 AM, nekunando said:

I'm cool with more 3DS support :smile: I'd love a couple of N64 remakes such as Wave Race 64, F-Zero X, 1080 Snowboarding or Pilotwings :grin:

I’m still really surprised that Nintendo haven’t done this.  Especially if they want to keep extending the lifespan of the 3DS this seems an opportunity they’re not taking.  With rereleases such as Starfix 3D, Zelda OoT, Zelda Majorca’s Mask, Donkey Kong Country and the upcoming Luigi’s Mansion they’ve shown they’re happy to do this, but with their vast catalogue there are surely more titles befitting a re-release?

2 hours ago, WackerJr said:

I’m still really surprised that Nintendo haven’t done this.  Especially if they want to keep extending the lifespan of the 3DS this seems an opportunity they’re not taking.  With rereleases such as Starfix 3D, Zelda OoT, Zelda Majorca’s Mask, Donkey Kong Country and the upcoming Luigi’s Mansion they’ve shown they’re happy to do this, but with their vast catalogue there are surely more titles befitting a re-release?

The problem is, the games @nekunando mentioned are dead franchises currently. They're nowhere near the popularity of the ones you mentioned. I mean, when you're a Ninty franchise more niche than StarFox, that's a bad sign.

5 hours ago, Glen-i said:

The problem is, the games @nekunando mentioned are dead franchises currently. They're nowhere near the popularity of the ones you mentioned. I mean, when you're a Ninty franchise more niche than StarFox, that's a bad sign.

The heart wants what it wants.. :love:

• Like 1

If a franchise is dead it doesn't mean it lost his potential. Reviving a franchise by releasing a port of an older game on a platform that sold shitloads and has not much years left sounds as a very smart business move actually. You don't risk harming the franchise because it's cheap, doesn't have a lot of new releases to compete with and a huge install base looking for some last few games before the 3DS ends its cycle.

21 minutes ago, markderoos said:

If a franchise is dead it doesn't mean it lost his potential. Reviving a franchise by releasing a port of an older game on a platform that sold shitloads and has not much years left sounds as a very smart business move actually. You don't risk harming the franchise because it's cheap, doesn't have a lot of new releases to compete with and a huge install base looking for some last few games before the 3DS ends its cycle.

I'm not saying it can't happen. But it's still a bit of a risk. Especially if it's along the lines of OoT 3D or StarFox 64 3D where the visuals were redone.

It would also take some staff from Nintendo working on it, which might not be feasible if they're doing something for the Switch. Especially for a game they'd have to make a new engine for.

EDIT: I guess Pilotwings could just reuse the Pilotwings Resort assets, but the others? Not so much.

Edited by Glen-i
  • Like 1