NEurope
Dante

3DS Console Discussion

Buying my Micro SD for the New 3DS.

32GB will be enough for a fairly casual user for the foreseeable future right?

32GB should be fine, I have a fair few VC titles on mine, about 6 retail titles, and a few other bits and pieces totalling around 120 separate items, on the PC it came up as less than 10GB so I'd say 32GB is sufficient if you're buying most of your games physically. : peace:

Definitely worth moving over the the Micro SD by using the SD card adapter with your existing 3DS - I'm assuming you're upgrading - before your New Majora's Mask 3DS XL arrives, it makes the transfer so much easier. :D

For anyone else shopping around:

64GB Class 10 UHS-I for £19.99: http://www.7dayshop.com/products/kingston-microsdxc-memory-card-64gb-class-10-WH2-SDCX10/64GB

32GB Class 10 UHS-I for £11.29: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-Memory-MicroSDHC-without-Adapter/dp/B00J29D62Y/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1422013383&sr=8-12&keywords=64gb+micro+sd

To be honest, a 16GB would probably do you. Given how little incentive there usually is to buy digital versions of retail Nintendo games you're really only looking at needing it for the odd retro title, and they don't take up much space.

We're also quite late in the 3DS's life, so I can't see you needing that much space.

Where is the best place to get the screen protectors for the new Xl and standard ?

Also clear outer shells ?

For anyone else shopping around:

64GB Class 10 UHS-I for £19.99: http://www.7dayshop.com/products/kingston-microsdxc-memory-card-64gb-class-10-WH2-SDCX10/64GB

32GB Class 10 UHS-I for £11.29: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-Memory-MicroSDHC-without-Adapter/dp/B00J29D62Y/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1422013383&sr=8-12&keywords=64gb+micro+sd

Oh yeah, for sure. I have a 64GB card myself, but 32GB is more than enough for most people.

Even if you find yourself downloading retail titles regularly, 32GB is more than enough really. I just prefer to overkill when it comes to storage so that I don't even need to think about it (Likewise, I have a 2TB HDD hooked up to my Wii U and I know that I'll never even come close to running out of storage space - I'll likely end up using it for the next Nintendo console too :p )

I'm actually more worried about running out of space for icons on my Wii U and 3DS system menus really (both allow a maximum of 300 icons on their respective Home Menus and I can easily see myself running out, or at least coming close to running out, by the end of the generation... I'm already at over 200 on 3DS and that's not counting demos or downloaded videos!)

Edited by Dcubed

Only 12GB of my 32GB SD card is used up. That has 9 retail downloads and plenty of eShop and Virtual Console games too. If you buy cartridges for all retail games, an 8GB card should be plenty.

I am basically digital only for my Japanese 3DS since I cannot be bothered risking the import fees and my 32GB is far from being filled. Full of digital titles, demos, videos and I've never had to delete a single thing.

Just in case nobody has posted about this, you can make a substantial saving by buying the New 3DS on Amazon France. If you wait for preorders to end and it's actually in stock to be shipped, you can also have Amazon convert the currency for you and avoid all the foreign transaction fees and it'll only take 2-3 days to arrive with their €1.50 shipping fee. You can save over £30 with the regular edition.

I am basically digital only for my Japanese 3DS since I cannot be bothered risking the import fees and my 32GB is far from being filled. Full of digital titles, demos, videos and I've never had to delete a single thing.

Just in case nobody has posted about this, you can make a substantial saving by buying the New 3DS on Amazon France. If you wait for preorders to end and it's actually in stock to be shipped, you can also have Amazon convert the currency for you and avoid all the foreign transaction fees and it'll only take 2-3 days to arrive with their €1.50 shipping fee. You can save over £30 with the regular edition.

I think I'm actually going to go this way, and probably order the Majora's Mask Special Edition with them too. I do have an order with the Nintendo Store, but I have just lost my debit card and they say they can't amend it until the payment actually fails. Really can't be bothered with that, I think I'm gonna cancel, and although I did want the Skull Kid figure it's not really worth the £35-40 I'll save by going with Amazon France. I will have to send back the free calendar that they dispatched within half an hour of ordering, but that's a minor inconvenience really to save the money.

Does anyone actually have any experience on using a foreign Amazon? (@Debug Mode, I guess you may seeing you're suggesting it?) I'm hearing conflicting reports over whether it's actually worth using the currency converter/paying in Euros.

Could someone with the Ambassador or japanese new 3DS (or XL) confirm this?

Is it true that you can now send the data of the SD card directly to your pc without removing it?

Like taking a snapshot in a game like acnl and sending it over to your pc?

Or do you still need to use that buggy image uploader that doesn't work in the internet browser or just remove the SD card?

Could someone with the Ambassador or japanese new 3DS (or XL) confirm this?

Is it true that you can now send the data of the SD card directly to your pc without removing it?

Like taking a snapshot in a game like acnl and sending it over to your pc?

Or do you still need to use that buggy image uploader that doesn't work in the internet browser or just remove the SD card?

Yup, it's true :)

You can set up a New3DS as a network drive on a Windows PC and just drag and drop the files over WiFi from your PC!

There are no limitations put in place whatsoever (so you can drag/drop any file). Just activate the network drive mode in the System Settings menu (it won't let you do it outside of the System Settings menu, obviously, to stop idiots from deleting files while a game is running!) on your New3DS and it'll appear as a drive on your PC, ready for you to drag/drop files wirelessly!

Nintendo put the option in because they knew that getting to the SD Card on the New3DS was a complete PITA ;)

Edited by Dcubed

I am so damn looking forward to getting my New 3DS :D As soon as I thought release be close I stopped playing Persona Q. I also have Fire Emblem I bought 18 months ago and barely played. Plus Majora's Mask. It's going to feel like getting a brand new system complete with a quality launch lineup. I'd get Pokemon X/Y too, if that wasn't a bit overkill on the time-sucking Adventure RPG front.

Edited by Shorty

Yup, it's true :)

You can set up a New3DS as a network drive on a Windows PC and just drag and drop the files over WiFi from your PC!

There are no limitations put in place whatsoever (so you can drag/drop any file). Just activate the network drive mode in the System Settings menu (it won't let you do it outside of the System Settings menu, obviously, to stop idiots from deleting files while a game is running!) on your New3DS and it'll appear as a drive on your PC, ready for you to drag/drop files wirelessly!

Nintendo put the option in because they knew that getting to the SD Card on the New3DS was a complete PITA ;)

Thanks so much! I was indeed worried about having to unscrew the cover every time (I remove the SD card about 3 times a week so hahaha)

But this is perfect! Thank you!

Windows only sadly.

So for me to get files off my 3DS I have to take out my micro SD card every time? Thanks Nintendo!

So for me to get files off my 3DS I have to take out my micro SD card every time? Thanks Nintendo!
Or just use Nintendo Image Share. Still a bit of a faff though, and the additional compression can be pretty nasty. :hmm:

Tried the new system out today, regular size. Works an absolute treat. Definitely going for the regular whenever I do buy one.

So I have a 3DS XL.

How do I transfer my data to the New 3DS XL. What type of screwdriver do I need?

So I have a 3DS XL.

How do I transfer my data to the New 3DS XL. What type of screwdriver do I need?

Philips type 00.

If you get a Micro SD with an SD adapter you can copy the contents from your current 3DS over ready to go in the New 3DS when you get it.

Because I'm going to be trading in my current 3DSxl, I need to sort the data situation out now too. Could someone recommend the right type of sd card and sd card adapter? Or will any old pair do? They look cheap on Amazon.

I also don't even know how to transfer the data were I to get to that point!

Still think ill have to go with the new XL - purely for screen size. My eyesight isn't great so anything that helps with that I kinda have to go with. I remember being so used to my screen then seeing Chairdriver's 2DS and wanting to die.

I want the faceplates thoughhhhh

It would be fantastic if nintendo or another company would enable people to order faceplates with their own images! It's already being made for iphone covers etc, so it should be possible.

I can dream right :p

It would be fantastic if nintendo or another company would enable people to order faceplates with their own images! It's already being made for iphone covers etc, so it should be possible.

I can dream right :p

Alternatively a third-party could offer clear faceplates which open to reveal enough room to place a paper or card insert inside with your own design of choice, much like those ones given away with Cube Magazine which allowed you have your own custom Gamecube faceplate. :D

Alternatively a third-party could offer clear faceplates which open to reveal enough room to place a paper or card insert inside with your own design of choice, much like those ones given away with Cube Magazine which allowed you have your own custom Gamecube faceplate. :D

Haha.. I remember having one of those in my Gamecube for a few months, only to realise I prefer the original look of the console :heh:

I also had a Perfect Dark N64 console sticker from the excellent N64 magazine and a Twilight Princess Wii console sticker from ONM. They all had their time on the consoles but, ultimately, they just look a bit.. tacky :heh:

Haha.. I remember having one of those in my Gamecube for a few months, only to realise I prefer the original look of the console :heh:

I also had a Perfect Dark N64 console sticker from the excellent N64 magazine and a Twilight Princess Wii console sticker from ONM. They all had their time on the consoles but, ultimately, they just look a bit.. tacky :heh:

Haha! True... I'm guilty on all those counts, I used the faceplates for a little while, then I got a Metroid Prime faceplate - official Nintendo one - and never looked back. ;)

I had the N64 Perfect Dark console skin, had that on the machine for yeaaaaars plus a Zelda one, I carefully peeled it off and stuck it back on the sheet even though it had extensive wear to it.

Though the Twilight Princess Wii front sticker I quite liked, thought it actually brightens up the console, I've had to tuck my Wii away though to make room for my Retron 5 so I don't have to look at the console or the sticker any more now, even though it wasn't bad. : peace:

Though the Twilight Princess Wii front sticker I quite liked, thought it actually brightens up the console, I've had to tuck my Wii away though to make room for my Retron 5 so I don't have to look at the console or the sticker any more now, even though it wasn't bad. : peace:

Pretty sure there was a NES controller sticker for the Wii remote in that ONM set too.. though I found that the colour would come off the sticker and make the D-Pad really dirty. Not @Aneres11 dirty.. but dirty enough :heh:

I still have those stickers tucked away somewhere..

I'm still rocking the NES controller sticker to this very day... :awesome:

...and the Metroid: Other M one as well, or what's left of it after having to 'trim' the edge. :heh: