NEurope
Dante

3DS Console Discussion

Go the new 3DS today. I really love the look of it and it feels so nice in the hand. Snes buttons looks dope as well!!!

Well, I don't always have internet access, you'll have to exclude me for missing that. Because I had no idea.

Nah it's cool, I'm just messing. I don't expect everyone to read everything.

Just got despatched email from 365. Hype!

My new 3DS is at the London sorting office now. Should be out for delivery soon. 1 day from HK is Wow!

I wish mine was... Mine spent an entire day "In Transit" in China seemingly being used in a roundtable game of pass the parcel :mad:

It seemingly has only just finally been shipped out of Guangzhou a few minutes ago... to be sent to Germany, then France, then Stansted, then finally to my local Fedex facility... *Sigh* :(

Just steal Dcubeds when he ain't looking. You could also just set about the FedEx guy before he posts it. Cut out the middle man. :D

I CAN hear you you know... Way to blow his cover :p (Sorry @Glen\-i you'll have to try something smarter than that now ;) - oh, and if it's any consolation, I already knew about the New3DS working like a network drive. It would've been a nice surprise if SOMEBODY didn't spoil that for me...)

Don't worry though, I have another really neat surprise about the New3DS (that I'm not telling till I get it!) that I'm sure that you of all people will truly appreciate... ;)

Edit: It STILL hasn't arrived in Germany!? WTF!? WHAT THE HELL!?

WHY!? Why am I the one who's getting screwed over!? What the hell did I do to deserve this!? :cry:

How the hell can it take more than 9 hours to fly from Hong Kong to Germany!? HOW!? Are they even TRYING to deliver it!? :mad:

Are they just taking the piss with me!? Someone please tell me that the FedEx tracking site is just lying to me, cause there is NO way that this looks right...

A29EF676-527F-4F6B-A5FE-193FCCA3DB02_zpsujgjexec.png

(that latest update was over 9 hours ago!!)

... My other delivery just last week went through absolutely fine; it should not be taking THIS long!!! :mad:

Edited by Dcubed

That is strange. I would guess it is a mistake and your 3DS will be with delivery driver today if it landed in Stansted yesterday.

That is strange. I would guess it is a mistake and your 3DS will be with delivery driver today if it landed in Stansted yesterday.

Oh, never mind. Looks like it literally JUST arrived in Germany a few seconds ago!!

It's still taking an eternity though...

I get the feeling that it's not gonna arrive till Monday now... YOU HAPPY NOW @Glen\-i!? LOOK WHAT YOU'VE DONE!!! :cry:

Oh, never mind. Looks like it literally JUST arrived in Germany a few seconds ago!!

It's still taking an eternity though...

I get the feeling that it's not gonna arrive till Monday now... YOU HAPPY NOW @Glen\-i!? LOOK WHAT YOU'VE DONE!!! :cry:

I think it will go on a flight to Stansted today and then to your local depot. could be on afternoon delivery if lucky, definitely tomorrow though at the latest.

I think it will go on a flight to Stansted today and then to your local depot. could be on afternoon delivery if lucky, definitely tomorrow though at the latest.

See, that's what I would expect to happen normally. But I've been suffering nothing but chronic bad luck for the last week or so, so I'm expecting my unlucky streak to continue through the weekend... :(

Edit: Like just now! There was a glitch on the PSN store for a free copy of Trials Fusion and I literally just missed it by seconds. Typical :(

Edited by Dcubed

Edit: Like just now! There was a glitch on the PSN store for a free copy of Trials Fusion and I literally just missed it by seconds. Typical :(

I get the feeling that it's not gonna arrive till Monday now... YOU HAPPY NOW @Glen\-i!? LOOK WHAT YOU'VE DONE!!!

hqdefault.jpg

10991144-1409163303-832345.jpg

Worth it :p

GROUDON.jpg

Now you're just asking for karma to slap you into next week!

Check your local CEX if you need ORAS now - Got mine on Tuesday for £40 randomly sitting brand new and sealed in Stratford - 15 hours in. :D

365Games came through!

IMG_20141127_183450.jpg

Can't be bothered to rotate/resize atm, not on my laptop.

Ruby is from the Nintendo Store, Sapphire is from Shopto.

Today is a good day.

Mine's still stuck in Germany! This is bollocks!! :mad:

FUCK!! At this rate, I'll be lucky to even get it by Monday!!! FUCK YOU FEDEX!! :mad:

Guess I'm playing ORAS on my old 3DS after all :(

Mine's still stuck in Germany! This is bollocks!! :mad:

FUCK!! At this rate, I'll be lucky to even get it by Monday!!! FUCK YOU FEDEX!! :mad:

Guess I'm playing ORAS on my old 3DS after all :(

If it makes you feel better, my Micro SD hasn't arrived yet so I can't do a system transfer yet. :(

Just ordered a Metallic Black Australian New 3DS XL from Play Asia, with accessories, the shipping was cheaper than I expected, about 8 quid. Man, my wife was not happy, but it's worth it!

HA HA!! YES!!!

In a beautiful little twist of fate, it seems that my New3DS shipment actually ended up bypassing France entirely and going straight to Stansted - arriving at my local depot just a couple of hours ago... convinently just in time before the depot opens up for me to come collect in person!! :D

HAHAHAHA!!! SCREW YOU KARMA! I GET THE LAST LAUGH!! I'll get to play my New3DS over the weekend I have off after all!! :bouncy:

Edit: AND IT'S MINE!!! IN MY HAND! RIGHT NOW!!

SUCK ON THAT KARMA! :D

Impressions coming later when I get home and get to play around with it :)

Edit 2: Oh yeah, forgot to mention. No customs charge either :awesome:

hqdefault.jpg

Edited by Dcubed

So after having it for a day, here are my impressions...

First off, let's just get this out of the way, the new stylus sucks balls. Not gonna mince words, it's a small knobbly piece of junk and is probably the worst stylus since the original Fat DS. It is basically a toothpick and I find myself wishing that they included a telescopic stylus like the original model 3DS :(

Right! Now! Onto the rest!

It's FAST! Like, exactly as fast as you're hoping for :D I currently have around 250 icons on my 3DS and a custom theme. On my old 3DS? Dog slow, it couldn't even handle switching games while multitasking without spluttering like a 60 year old smoker - on my New3DS? Doesn't even break a sweat! :D

Going back to the Home menu is like instant now, even when playing Smash! :) (Smash is no slower to open or close or Home Menu Suspend than any other game BTW - it's just as lightning fast as any other game). Likewise, opening up any of the OS features is very nice and snappy, half a second maybe? (notifications don't take an age to open anymore! It's like 2 seconds tops here)

Miiverse loading times are basically on par with the Wii U version of Miiverse. I'm gonna be posting 3DS shots a LOT more often now :)

Speaking of loading times, just to make things clear, old 3DS games see no improvement ingame whatsoever - while Smash Bros (a New3DS enhanced game) sees its own ingame loading times roughly cut by half.

The built-in games/apps haven't been changed at all BTW. Nor have they been updated to New3DS spec unfortunately (A shame because Streetpass Plaza could do with the loading time improvement...)

Speaking of built-in aps. I should mention the one single one that has actually changed... The Internet browser. It's much faster than the old 3DS' one and is pretty nice to use. It also supports multiple tabs now, but of course that doesn't matter because let's face it, there's only one thing that any of us here are ever going to use the 3DS' internet browser for...

YOUTUBE 3D!!!

At long last! Only about almost 4 odd years after the 3DS launched (and after one useless attempt with that worthless YouTube app) do we finally get that one really obvious feature that we all craved back when the console was first announced!

And does it work now?

9190F662-F181-44F0-8B79-B36F080AD2ED_zps4uklmhzv.jpg

You bet your arse it does :)

You also get the full bevy of features that Youtube supports for 3D content (as well as the faster speed option shown in the above photo)...

2996EE48-E9F7-4F47-B86D-A7A2D813F518_zpsy2gdl5pg.jpg

(yes it even supports anaglyph red/blue glasses 3D for those who want to do it the old school way :awesome: )

The Super Stable 3D works exactly as advertised! It works ridiculously well! :D If you look at really oblique angles, when the camera looses track of you, then obviously it breaks but snaps back into place the millisecond it finds your eyes again (it's not face tracking per-say that it uses, but rather it uses eye tracking. If you look away and then look back at the screen, you can see it snap back into place as well ;) ).

Another interesting thing I noticed about the SS3D is that the New3DS can distinguish between different people too! The console will only focus on the person actually playing the game and will not try to snap the screen's focus onto people behind you or looking over your shoulder, so nobody can troll you by screwing with the eye tracking - very impressive! :D The SS3D feature also works in the dark as well (it uses both the inner optical camera as well as an additional IR camera (the same kind of one that Kinect uses) and while it doesn't work as well as in the light (since it effectively only had one camera to use in the dark rather than two), it does still work very well!

Oh and yes, it does indeed work perfectly with games that use gyro controls! Playing OoT 3D on this thing is a real treat! :D (You can even hold the console sideways to snipe enemies gangster style and it works perfectly! :awesome:). Makes it a shame to see those few games that turned off 3D when motion controls were used now :(

One other thing I noticed is that I think glasses might affect the SS3D feature. My brother tried using it with glasses on and it seemed to struggle a little bit compared to using the New3DS without them. I guess it probably depends on how much they obscure the camera's view of your eyes, but it's something that you might want to consider...

Oh BTW, Book Mode still doesn't work with 3D. I expected as much, but it's still a bit of a shame (at least it means I'm not too upset about M&L DT though).

The buttons also feel great! They all have a bit more of a give than the older 3DS models - sort of reminds me of the GBAsp buttons :) Likewise, the d-pad is better too. It's a bit bigger (as it bends inwards slightly), feels less stiff and seems to register diagonals better than the old 3DS/XL one did :)

The Zl/Zr buttons work ok. It's pretty much just like the original model Wii Classic Controller's ones. They're not the most comfortable to use, but they get the job done.

The Circle Pad is the same size and feels like it has more range and a greater sense of resistance, but it could just be a matter of it not really being broken in yet. Either way it feels great!

Now, the C-stick (I'm sure many of you are interested in this one)... It's ultra sensitive! Like, you barely even need to shift your thumb! :o

It allows for very fine control with just the slightest of shifts of your thumb. If you've ever owned a laptop with a little control nub, it works like that; only even more sensitive!

For all the CPP compatible/New3DS enhanced games I own (Smash Bros 3DS, Resident Evil: Revelations, Nano Assault Ex, Monster Hunter 3U), it works very well! It's the real deal as far as a substitute for typical 2nd stick functions goes - I wouldn't imagine it working well for character movement, but for the things that the 2nd stick is usually used for (camera control, twin stick shooters), it works a treat! :D

Strangely enough though, it doesn't work at all with Galaxy Force 2 3D though. Just comes up with an error saying that the CPP didn't respond :hmm: (Edit: Oh wait, never mind, it's working now. Just seems to be a bit finicky with certain games; seems that sometimes they don't seem to detect a circle pad pro as being connected for some reason :confused: )

Changing Micro SD cards is a complete PITA BTW. If you find yourself copying files to your PC often, you'll want to set up the WiFi data transfer feature ASAP! (I have yet to do it myself, but it basically sets up the New3DS as a network drive on your PC - it's literally drag and drop!)

Changing coverplates is simple enough, takes only a couple of mins or so. You will need a crosswing screwdriver to hand for the back coverplate though.

I think that about covers everything important really. If anyone wants to know anything in particular, feel free to ask :)

Edited by Dcubed

Thanks for the impressions, @Dcubed : peace:

I really want one when they come out here, so hopefully the price is right! If it gets released around the same time as Majora's Mask 3D, that'd be a decent bundle to get :grin:

I was finally getting into Metal Gear Solid 3D a few months ago but stopped playing when I saw the New 3DS for the first time as I figured I'd wait to play through the rest of it with the C-Stick. Glad to know it seems to work well :smile: I may even give Resident Evil Revelations another go with it as I wasn't overly keen on the game previously!

My only real concern is the problem your brother had wearing glasses with it. I hope it isn't a major problem :eek:

I ordered a few accessories when I ordered the actual New 3DS XL unit, and it seems that Play-Asia are going to send everything in one package. Fine by me. However, they are waiting for extra stock for the charger stand, so they won't send anything until they have it all ready. A 2 week wait, but I'm in no rush, as long as it arrives before Xmas, I'll be as happy as Larry.

Thanks for the impressions, @Dcubed : peace:

I really want one when they come out here, so hopefully the price is right! If it gets released around the same time as Majora's Mask 3D, that'd be a decent bundle to get :grin:

I was finally getting into Metal Gear Solid 3D a few months ago but stopped playing when I saw the New 3DS for the first time as I figured I'd wait to play through the rest of it with the C-Stick. Glad to know it seems to work well :smile: I may even give Resident Evil Revelations another go with it as I wasn't overly keen on the game previously!

My only real concern is the problem your brother had wearing glasses with it. I hope it isn't a major problem :eek:

Nah, it was pretty minor really, just a bit more flickering visible as the camera tries to keep a track of your eyes but I suppose it depends on what glasses you use.

Since the New3DS is doing eye tracking, rather than head tracking, anything that obscures your eyes is gonna reduce its effectiveness. So the clearer and more transparent your glasses, the better ;)

Edited by Dcubed

Thanks for your detailed impressions, @Dcubed :-)

Did you previously use an XL or and OG 3DS? I'm thinking got switching from my 3DS XL to a regular N3DS, so I'd be very interested to hear your impressions of adjusting to a smaller screen/form factor. I'm looking forward to having a sharper picture with an increased PPI as the XL's jaggies annoy me, but I don't want to be squinting at a tiny display or having hand cramps from reduced ergonomics! How did you find this?

I own both, but I mainly used an original model 3DS. I've always found the ergonomics to be fine on both models, but I just couldn't stand the low DPI screen of the 3DSxl. It just ruins the visuals of 3DS games too much.

I have no issues with the New3DS' screen in that regard, despite it being slightly bigger than the original 3DS' screen. It's exactly like the jump from DS Lite to DSi in that regard (in fact, the matte finish is exactly like the DSi too ;) )

Basically New3DS = DSi and New3DSxl = DSixl in pretty much all physical respects.

Edit: I know I said it before, but GOD!!! I HATE THE NEW3DS' STYLUS!!! Playing Theatrhythm is so incredibly uncomfortable with it!!

Ugh! Why the hell couldn't they have used a telescopic stylus like in the OG 3DS!? WHY!? :mad:

Thank God I still have my DSiXL's Mega Stylus for when I'm at home! :D

The second that Hori put out a quality telescopic stylus that fits into the New3DS' stylus slot, it is mine!!

Edited by Dcubed

The buttons also feel great! They all have a bit more of a give than the older 3DS models - sort of reminds me of the GBAsp buttons :) Likewise, the d-pad is better too. It's a bit bigger (as it bends inwards slightly), feels less stiff and seems to register diagonals better than the old 3DS/XL one did :)

The feel a lot softer, it feels really nice to press. It's kinda weird.

Changing Micro SD cards is a complete PITA BTW. If you find yourself copying files to your PC often, you'll want to set up the WiFi data transfer feature ASAP! (I have yet to do it myself, but it basically sets up the New3DS as a network drive on your PC - it's literally drag and drop!)

Just be warned, the wifi transfer is really slow, if your like me and have 29GBs on your SD then it takes forever. If you do a system transfer choose the PC method or it'll take all day. It's probably fine if you don't have many digital titles.

Oh and if Horii do a stylus like that, let me know.

The feel a lot softer, it feels really nice to press. It's kinda weird.

Just be warned, the wifi transfer is really slow, if your like me and have 29GBs on your SD then it takes forever. If you do a system transfer choose the PC method or it'll take all day. It's probably fine if you don't have many digital titles.

Oh and if Horii do a stylus like that, let me know.

I've actually already gone ahead and emailed Hori asking them to make one :laughing:

I really really hate the new stylus in the small New3DS. I assume that the New3DSXL has a bigger and better one... Right? (How big is it compared to the 3DSXL's stylus?)

IMG_20141130_223613.jpg

New 3DSXL on left, old 3DSXL on right. I think it's the same size for both N3DS models, though I could be wrong. Regardless, I'm also not a fan on the new stylus either.