NEurope
Dante

3DS Console Discussion

So, I'm thinking of getting a new 3DS - https://www.mightyape.com.au/product/New-Nintendo-3DS-White/22831764

What is the downside of doing this?!

Copied answer...It's pot luck, but you might be hit with heavy import taxes.

Plus, I've no way of knowing if this will be true, but I have a sinking feeling that maybe, just maybe, Nintendo will create a new region lock for AUS, therefore relegating New 3DS exclusive games and the eShop in Europe ineffective. This may happen, though there is a bigger chance it won't happen.

For me, I'm waiting to see what information comes about this in the future before putting an order down.

Copied answer...It's pot luck, but you might be hit with heavy import taxes.

Plus, I've no way of knowing if this will be true, but I have a sinking feeling that maybe, just maybe, Nintendo will create a new region lock for AUS, therefore relegating New 3DS exclusive games and the eShop in Europe ineffective. This may happen, though there is a bigger chance it won't happen.

For me, I'm waiting to see what information comes about this in the future before putting an order down.

Yeah... I put it in the wrong thread... :)

I really don't think they'd do an Oz region lock, this ever happened before?

If it was coming really early I'd wait, but seeing all these hands on is really making me want to order it...

Yeah... I put it in the wrong thread... :)

I really don't think they'd do an Oz region lock, this ever happened before?

If it was coming really early I'd wait, but seeing all these hands on is really making me want to order it...

No, it's never happened between Europe and AUS before, which keeps me very optimistic that it won't happen this time, but I still can't get rid of a nagging doubt about it.

The hands on videos from the Game Explain team really are great and have me totally hyped. I should be visiting New Zealand in January and will probably pick one up then.

A region lock between Europe and Australia/New Zealand will never happen.

What was wrong with yours? I've always found them pretty good on the turnaround in the past, mine's actual on its way to them atm(posted it yeseterday). Hoping I won't encounter any issues with them this time though, as it's just a broken L button. They did try to refuse to fix it before when the OS stopped working, because it has some physical damage on the outside :rolleyes:

Top screen problem - faded/bleeding colours. It jut came on last Thursday night. I'm a little surprised too, as they've been pretty fast with my Wii and 3DS in the past.

So anyone else tempted to order one from Australia? @Ike how are you finding it?!

Still don't know what to do about it....

I've already told you this, Kid Icarus WAS NEVER RETOOLED FOR CPP!! It was only usable to play it left-handed.

I'm just being entirely pedantic, but it was used for southpaw players, not left-handed people (although most southpaw players are left-handed).

So anyone else tempted to order one from Australia? @Ike how are you finding it?!

You don't know how tempted I am...

Like Londragon though, I have a bad feeling that they're actually going to do the unthinkable and actually region lock it to Australia only (they REALLY want to get rid of the huge amount of EU & US region 3DS/3DSxl consoles sitting on store shelves before releasing it over here and they're not stupid - they KNOW that people in Europe are gonna import the New3DS in droves...)

As soon as we get the all clear though (assuming that we do), that AU region New3DS is as good as mine :D

It's a worthy upgrade. Worth it for the improvements to Smash alone. ;) Monster Hunter 4 will run better as well as that is pushing the current models to the max like Smash. I'm hoping Nintendo take advantage of the upgrade CPU for future games (although I do dislike the idea have have N3DS only games so it's bit of a pickle).

3D looks better, and Smash looks amazing but I can't quite pinpoint why.

The buttons feel a little softer but no one else seems to have picked up on that from what I've seen.

The browser runs quicker, though I haven't used it much and I haven't bothered to remove the filter. 3D Youtube videos apparently work.

Miiverse loads quicker although still takes a little while. Not sure if that's because I'm connecting to Japan or something stupid.

My main concerns are the fact the Micro SD is harder to access for someone like me who likes to make regular backups and the C Stick might not be ideal for games like Resident Evil.

If it's worth importing or not that's up to you if you want to take the risk (I'm talking custom fees, warranty etc). I do reckon the N3DS will be out around MH4 next year for us.

Latest update in my 3DS repair tale of woe: I phoned them up today to find out why nothing's happened after a week. They said they have a bit of a backlog, are awaiting spare parts, but I needn't worry, as I will at least get it back BEFORE CHRISTMAS. Great. Not only will I have to wait until who knows when to play Smash again, I'm also going to be missing out on 100+ StreetPasses at this weekend's London Expo too.

365 games has it.http://www.365games.co.uk/3ds-consoles/new-nintendo-3ds-xl-handheld-console-metallic-black

Otherwise, Play Asia sells them.

Edit: OK, just found out you can backup your SD card by using the MicroSD management tool in the settings. So much better than having to remove the SD card, it just connects to your PC via the network! So I take my my previous complaint. :D

Edit:2 Except it takes forever to backup...

Edited by Ike

It's been a week since I sent my 3DS in to Nintendo to get it repaired, and I'm still none the wiser about how long it'll be. I got an email on Tuesday to say they'd received it, but the problem is still undiagnosed, according to my account. So annoying, as I was hoping to at least have Smash Bros back by the weekend...

You got any more word on yours yet Mike? They recieved mine Monday morning and I'm jonesing for a bit more Fantasy Life and maybe some Smash. I'm sure they had super fast turnaround on this stuff before, maybe the repairs department has taken a hit somewhere along the line. Was honestly hoping it might be a simple 'bam this is wrong' and 'boom it's on its way back to you' by the end of the week, as wishful as that might be!

EDIT: Just looking back to my last repair I think that's skewing my perception a little - recieved then 2 days later diagnosed, fixed and dispatched back to me!

Edited by Rummy

You got any more word on yours yet Mike? They recieved mine Monday morning and I'm jonesing for a bit more Fantasy Life and maybe some Smash. I'm sure they had super fast turnaround on this stuff before, maybe the repairs department has taken a hit somewhere along the line. Was honestly hoping it might be a simple 'bam this is wrong' and 'boom it's on its way back to you' by the end of the week, as wishful as that might be!

EDIT: Just looking back to my last repair I think that's skewing my perception a little - recieved then 2 days later diagnosed, fixed and dispatched back to me!

Well after being told over the phone the other day they have a backlog and I should get it 'before Christmas', they did actually diagnose the problem today, and charged me £77 for the pleasure of getting it fixed. :shakehead They still haven't sent it back yet though, but hopefully it'll be next week that I get it back.

Well after being told over the phone the other day they have a backlog and I should get it 'before Christmas', they did actually diagnose the problem today, and charged me £77 for the pleasure of getting it fixed. :shakehead They still haven't sent it back yet though, but hopefully it'll be next week that I get it back.

So much for the site still saying 3-7 day turnaround then! £77 though? Ouch! Not in warranty? Tbh my 3DS is almost 3 years old but I've had it repaired(and timed it, on occasion) at least every 12 months that I've always gotten the warranty renewal with it. If they wanna charge me £80 for a repair I'd probably put the money towards a new one instead given the amount this one's broken - R button failure, two OS failures(both fixes losing me my mii and entire streetpass data -.-), now an L button failure, plus a peeling d-pad they probably won't fix. Plus it's got the issue of the bottom screen scratched the top. Then I sort of scratched the touch screen somehow(dirt or burr on stylus?) AND I dropped it one mashing up the case. I certainly find whilst they made it for streetpass, it doesn't seem to fare perfectly well in my pockets.

Tbh maybe I shouldn't be allowed a 3DS actually :p

£77? TBH, I'm with @Rummy, I'd rather buy a new 3DS but then how would you get your save files back? I'd sell the old 3DS for spares, you'd get a bit for it.

These themes. They're really pumping them out. I know it's not a lot of money for each one but I'd rather make my own and I know I could if given the option. On my phone by using a program on my PC I can make my own themes, backgrounds, screensavers, custom icons, ringtones, message alerts, camera sounds etc, etc. But Nintendo have locked you out of that ability thereby forcing you to buy a theme if you want a change. Do you think that's fair?

Edit: Is it the normal 3DS or 3DS XL?

£77? TBH, I'm with @Rummy, I'd rather buy a new 3DS but then how would you get your save files back? I'd sell the old 3DS for spares, you'd get a bit for it.

Hadn't considered that I guess - if it's not an OS issue I'd just do a system transfer. Iirc they have only two repair prices anyway, and £77 might be the higher one. In my case for a shoulder button failure I'd probably open it up and give it a go to fix myself!

Edited by Rummy

A flashcart promising to run on any firmware of the 3DS is due to be released soon. The previous cart has had minimal impact as it only runs on age old firmwares, hopefully this wont lead to mass piracy but if it's going to circumvent region locking like the old card, this is going to appeal to a lot more people than pirates.

EDIT: It's looking like it's just spoofing the games rather than booting into a rom selection, so this wont actually offer region circumvention like I had imagined

Edited by Debug Mode

A flashcart promising to run on any firmware of the 3DS is due to be released soon. The previous cart has had minimal impact as it only runs on age old firmwares, hopefully this wont lead to mass piracy but if it's going to circumvent region locking like the old card, this is going to appeal to a lot more people than pirates.

EDIT: It's looking like it's just spoofing the games rather than booting into a rom selection, so this wont actually offer region circumvention like I had imagined

Sounds like you can only put 10 games on it and that's it? Bit weird.

Q: What's that mean - "ten 3DS games maximum per SKY3DS card"?

A: You can choose to copy any 10 games into your microSD card at the first time, you do need more SKY3DS cards if you want to play more 3DS games anyway.

Anyway, charging cradle for my N3DS arrived. Took a bit longer as I had to order it after the release date.

IMG_20141028_223121.jpg

Looks nice.

Iwata attempts to explain why the New 3DS isn't launching in Europe/U.S. this year, which is BS in my opinion.

19.jpg

When it comes to the overseas markets, we do not plan to launch New Nintendo 3DS/3DS XL for the U.S. or Europe this year. Additionally, there are only a couple of big titles, “Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS,” and “Pokémon Omega Ruby” and “Pokémon Alpha Sapphire,” overseas as no “YOKAI WATCH” franchises or “Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate” will be scheduled this year there. Based on these observations, some might wonder if, apart from the domestic market, the sales of Nintendo 3DS will really be able to gain momentum in the overseas markets.

The overseas markets are different from the Japanese market in both their stages of popularization of Nintendo 3DS and their market characteristics.

The stage of popularization of Nintendo 3DS means the degree to which we have turned potential purchasing power into actual sales of the product in a market. In Japan, the total number of sales of Nintendo 3DS has reached nearly 17 million in the three and a half years since its launch. It is almost the same as the lifetime sales of GameBoy Advance released in 2001, which implies that it is reasonable that the sales of Nintendo 3DS have been temporarily slow moving in the Japanese market. This is one of the reasons we needed to bring New Nintendo 3DS/3DS XL to the market this year. To the contrary, neither of the cumulative sales figures of Nintendo 3DS in the U.S. nor Europe is more than that in Japan despite, based on the historical performance, bigger sales potential. In short, Nintendo 3DS is still at an earlier stage of popularization in these two markets.

Also, the difference in market characteristics shows up in the software sales pace. In the Japanese market, both hardware and software tend to sell during a short period along with a quick spread of information on them. In the U.S. and Europe, on the other hand, highly acclaimed games are likely to be longtime sellers.

20.jpg

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/events/141030/02.html

It also sounds like that the rest of the world hasn't bought enough of the current 3DS. When we do, then we can have the New 3DS.

Iwata attempts to explain why the New 3DS isn't launching in Europe/U.S. this year, which is BS in my opinion.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/events/141030/02.html

It also sounds like that the rest of the world hasn't bought enough of the current 3DS. When we do, then we can have the New 3DS.

His right in the sense Japan most defiantly needed the new 3DS however I think his wrong if he thinks their is still much growth to be seen in Europe and the US when it comes to the original 3DS and XL.

Sales have slowed in these territories and they have already released all the big hitters so I don't see that changing much.

They are also releasing it in Aus/NZ which if he we use the same argument his has used to explain why japan has seen the release it would mean Aus/NZ reached saturation point which I don't think is the case.

The real reason as someone on here suggested weeks ago is more likely they have shipments still stuck on shelves or in warehouses that need shifting and they want to sell as much as these as they can during the holidays before they release the new 3DS in US/Europe.

These are up for order on Play-Asia, £136 for the AUS standard model. Dropped an order down just in case I decide I want one in a few weeks.

His right in the sense Japan most defiantly needed the new 3DS however I think his wrong if he thinks their is still much growth to be seen in Europe and the US when it comes to the original 3DS and XL.

Sales have slowed in these territories and they have already released all the big hitters so I don't see that changing much.

They are also releasing it in Aus/NZ which if he we use the same argument his has used to explain why japan has seen the release it would mean Aus/NZ reached saturation point which I don't think is the case.

The real reason as someone on here suggested weeks ago is more likely they have shipments still stuck on shelves or in warehouses that need shifting and they want to sell as much as these as they can during the holidays before they release the new 3DS in US/Europe.

Bingo! You got it in one. Release the New 3DS and that old stock will go nowhere. They'd have to reduce the price of the old stock as well.