NEurope
Dante

3DS Console Discussion

I think it's time for Nintendo to lift the 10-coins-per-day limit. It just doesn't make sense now there are so many things to spend them on.

I think it's time for Nintendo to lift the 10-coins-per-day limit. It just doesn't make sense now there are so many things to spend them on.

If they start raising the limit, it then begins to trivialise the coins in the first place. They don't want you being able to spend them to buy everything very easily, because it then leaves you with less reasons to carry your 3DS around with you if you have all the Play Coins that you need.

If they start raising the limit, it then begins to trivialise the coins in the first place. They don't want you being able to spend them to buy everything very easily, because it then leaves you with less reasons to carry your 3DS around with you if you have all the Play Coins that you need.

It really wouldn't trivialise it. I carry my 3DS with me when I can, but most of the time it's not convenient. Most of what I do is too active/kinetic to have my 3DS on me - the last thing I want to do at the end of a hard day is go out again just to get the coins. As such, my Puzzles are sitting there uncompleted, and they never will be.

Maybe your lifestyle can fit it in, but try and understand those who can't.

Hey guys, just wanted to say thanks again to everyone who gave me some great advice a few weeks ago!

I bought a 3DS XL in the end, very happy with my purchase! I got OOT 3d, Mario 3D Land, and Mario Kart. 3d Land has been taking up most of my time, the nature of the game is great for a handheld experience; I'm always playing it on the train to/from work! On to the last world now. Am a little excited for 3D World on Wii U, I may have to get a Wii U at Christmas.

Played a little but of Mario Kart, its great as always. Online looks great so will have to try to get into that! OOT is great as expected but haven't played too much yet, only just seen Zelda for the first time.

My next wanted games are Luigi's Mansion 2, Donkey Kong, and Animal Crossing...tempted by New Super Mario Bros too! There are a lot of great games on 3DS at the moment. There's a promotion after starting this week here in Australia where you get a free game if you buy a regular 3DS, a bit annoying as I don't qualify! I prefer the XL anyway though.

Glad to hear you're enjoying it!! If you haven't already, get over the the 3ds friend code thread and add us all! Will be sure to add back!! : peace:

Being able to change the date and just shake your 3DS trivialises it. If they got rid of the 10 coin limit, at least people who want to collect coins properly won't be at a disadvantage.

I haven't really been that into gaming the last year or so, but this last month I feel about 15 again! It's mainly due to Animal Crossing, which is just amazing. But a new Wario and a catch up on 3DS games (like Mighty Switch Force and Luigi's Mansion 2) has helped too :p Next on the list - FIRE EMBLEM! I've got it for free as part of the 3DS free game thing, but I'm waiting for an SD card in the post so I can actually download it :p

I have had some funny happenings with my 3ds recently.

Firstly, when I open up my 3ds and select the game, I've had it a few times where the 'Nintendo 3DS' black and red screen just stays on without doing anything... I have to power off to get it working again.

Then I've had 2 instances playing Animal Crossing now where it's just totally cut out telling me the SD card has been removed - when it hasn't!! ::shrug:

Very bizarre.

I also noticed today, that when my 3ds is charging and I'm playing with the charger connected, the brightness shoots up a lot. I have my brightness dialled right up and the power saving 'off' which tends to make the screen brighter than when it's on, but having the charger connected takes it even brighter!

I can't say I noticed that on my previous 3ds XL model? I could be (and probably am) wrong, but does anyone know if that's standard for all 3ds'?

I've been playing Luigi's Mansion a lot today and have liked the added bright sheen for those gloomy areas! :heh:

I also noticed today, that when my 3ds is charging and I'm playing with the charger connected, the brightness shoots up a lot.

That's normal.

They removed the hidden brightness setting in the XL model so that's why you never noticed it before.

So...the 3DS.

When did it suddenly become awesome?

I remember not too long ago where it seemed like it would never get going. And now, there's games everywhere.

When did this happen?

When did this happen?

It was happening under all those doom & gloom reports.

So...the 3DS.

When did it suddenly become awesome?

I remember not too long ago where it seemed like it would never get going. And now, there's games everywhere.

When did this happen?

When they decided 3D wouldn't sell it? (apart from 3D Land)

It was awesome from Day 1, but people are sheep.

Come on, dude. I'm trying to have a serious discussion here. :p

When they decided 3D wouldn't sell it? (apart from 3D Land)

That could well be it. I have to say that the whole "it's glasses-free 3D" angle seems to have disappeared almost entirely. A bit of a shame, I'd love to see more done with it.

Come on, dude. I'm trying to have a serious discussion here. :p

OK, I'm genuinely sorry if that came across as blunt. Let me explain...

What bothers me about the 3DS is that, for a moment, we had a genuinely hardcore version of Nintendo back. Think back to E3 2010. Everything shown looked good, like Ocarina of Time, Mario Kart and Animal Crossing. Some of it - particularly Kid Icarus: Uprising - was even daring. This was not a conservative Nintendo in action, this was a Nintendo that had listened to fans' complaints that the Wii was "casual" and taken them seriously.

I'll never forget how enjoyable it was to own a 3DS in 2011. The first time I fired up Pilotwings, heard the blistering music and, thanks to the 3D, thought I was really there. It was unbelievable. Then there were the times I carried the 3DS around with me, taking 3D photos and trying to get StreetPasses, hoping that it had taken off enough for other people to be using it. I downloaded the freebies like 3D Classics: Excitebike and played them all over the country when I went on holiday. It was just a brilliant little machine to own.

But it wasn't all that successful. Nintendo had put its faith in people wanting a hardcore machine, with a genuinely good library of games on the way, but they weren't rewarded for it. "It needs a Mario!" was the cry. Great. Now we have a Nintendo that hardly dares make a game that doesn't relate to Mario in some way.

Even though I love the 3DS, what I love most is how Nintendo launched it and planned it in the first place, because there sure isn't the same vibe now. I'm glad people are appreciating true greats like Fire Emblem and Animal Crossing, but the upcoming games don't look anything like as ambitious (incidentally, Animal Crossing was the last game from E3 2010 that needed release). Mario & Luigi 4, Yoshi's Island, LttP 2...? They may be good games, but I can't pretend I'm as excited about them as I was the earlier software.

So, next time we think Nintendo is playing it a bit safe, think back to this, because in my opinion almost everything about the Wii U can be traced back to the near-failure of the 3DS.

OK, I'm genuinely sorry if that came across as blunt. Let me explain...

What bothers me about the 3DS is that, for a moment, we had a genuinely hardcore version of Nintendo back. Think back to E3 2010. Everything shown looked good, like Ocarina of Time, Mario Kart and Animal Crossing. Some of it - particularly Kid Icarus: Uprising - was even daring. This was not a conservative Nintendo in action, this was a Nintendo that had listened to fans' complaints that the Wii was "casual" and taken them seriously.

I'll never forget how enjoyable it was to own a 3DS in 2011. The first time I fired up Pilotwings, heard the blistering music and, thanks to the 3D, thought I was really there. It was unbelievable. Then there were the times I carried the 3DS around with me, taking 3D photos and trying to get StreetPasses, hoping that it had taken off enough for other people to be using it. I downloaded the freebies like 3D Classics: Excitebike and played them all over the country when I went on holiday. It was just a brilliant little machine to own.

But it wasn't all that successful. Nintendo had put its faith in people wanting a hardcore machine, with a genuinely good library of games on the way, but they weren't rewarded for it. "It needs a Mario!" was the cry. Great. Now we have a Nintendo that hardly dares make a game that doesn't relate to Mario in some way.

Even though I love the 3DS, what I love most is how Nintendo launched it and planned it in the first place, because there sure isn't the same vibe now. I'm glad people are appreciating true greats like Fire Emblem and Animal Crossing, but the upcoming games don't look anything like as ambitious (incidentally, Animal Crossing was the last game from E3 2010 that needed release). Mario & Luigi 4, Yoshi's Island, LttP 2...? They may be good games, but I can't pretend I'm as excited about them as I was the earlier software.

So, next time we think Nintendo is playing it a bit safe, think back to this, because in my opinion almost everything about the Wii U can be traced back to the near-failure of the 3DS.

Dude I love my 3DS and its my go to console right now but c'mon the launch period was awful. There was no Eshop, a software drought and Nintendo misread the market with the launch price (Even though I gladly bought it day 1). The reason people never bought it was nothing to do with nintendo thinking people wanted a hardcore machine. It was simply overpriced with very little compelling software titles.

That could well be it. I have to say that the whole "it's glasses-free 3D" angle seems to have disappeared almost entirely. A bit of a shame, I'd love to see more done with it.

As we have seen with cinema, console games, 3D TV's and now the 3DS. People do not give a damn about 3D. Once 4K becomes affordable that will be the final nail in the coffin to 3D.

Edited by liger05

Well, I do agree that people don't care about 3D, and that Nintendo misread the market with the launch price. 3DS, like the Wii U, has tech in that people don't want, and of course it all has to be paid for.

I don't blame Nintendo for thinking people would be excited about the Parallax Barrier, though. 3D was all the rage and it was just an amazing bit of technology. Making their handheld 3D may have been a mistake, but it's not one I'll criticise Nintendo for because I would have done the same.

Hmm. Tricky one.

I have to say Grazza I disagree though.

The console now is where it always should have been in my opinion. I didn't find any fun in the console for the first year and a half of owning it - whereas now, it's fired up every single day (and that was even before Animal Crossing!)

The original software line up for the 3ds was good at best in my opinion, but it was lacking that killer Mario title that made it a 'must own' for those who had bought into the original DS series. When that came, along with Mario Kart, was when the console started to become what it is now.

I certainly don't think it has become something different to what it was intended to be, but I do take your point that it's launch line up was much more of a hardcore effort with the likes of Ridge Racer and Street Fighter etc. Pretty out of character for a Nintendo launch! Problem was, those games were a little half arsed IMO and pretty lazy titles.

The real magic of the 3ds for me is the jump that we've seen from it's predecessor. Forget the '3d' that was originally intended to be a game changer - this console packs some serious punch and it's been shown in the likes of Kid Icarus, RE: Revelations, Luigi's Mansion, SM3DL, and OoT to name but a few. It's a portable console that gives a very different gaming experience than the DS because of the jump in power and also the more accessible controls that make these games possible thanks to the circle pad.

Regarding the up coming software, I think it's further cementing the 3ds as one of the best handhelds Nintendo have ever made. Again this is all just my opinion!

Not only are we getting franchise games coming to this console and them being very very good, they're also becoming the best yet according to reviews. Mario and Luigi Dream Team is said to be the best yet. Animal Crossing is another series high. Pokemon X & Y look to be utilising the consoles potential (it could be argued not fully, but this may deviate from the style of game it is) and will probably result in the game being the highlight of the series.

We're also seeing some games being reborn on the 3ds. I've mentioned Kid Icarus, but what a brilliant title brought back to life for a new generation. All possible because of the hardware. And done so well too.

The Mario sporting series has also come back (much to my personal delight!) Mario Tennis is a fantastic handheld game that I enjoy playing to this day. I cannot wait for Mario Golf either as it's been so long since the last and from what I've seen I think it looks brilliant!

I think it's telling that Nintendo launched a 'Too many games' promotion for this console. It's also quite ironic when you look at where we are with the Wii U. A 'Too little games' project is hopefully running in Nintendo HQ to rectify that :laughing: but that's not for here.

As it stands, the 3ds for me, is the greatest console on the market right now.

It's back catalogue is vast, there are a load of upcoming games to look forward to that has something for everyone, and my 3ds is pink. Which adds nothing to the discussion but makes it even more amazing for me. :heh:

Well, I do agree that people don't care about 3D, and that Nintendo misread the market with the launch price. 3DS, like the Wii U, has tech in that people don't want, and of course it all has to be paid for.

I don't blame Nintendo for thinking people would be excited about the Parallax Barrier, though. 3D was all the rage and it was just an amazing bit of technology. Making their handheld 3D may have been a mistake, but it's not one I'll criticise Nintendo for because I would have done the same.

I love the 3D, when Nintendo get around to their new handheld console it'll better have 3D on it or I'll cry because of the step backwards it'll take. 3D adds nothing to movies (only a gimmick), but for games it's a different kettle of fish. The 3D allows you to judge your space perfectly between you and your enemy, object, etc. I just wish I had a glasses free 3D TV, so the Wii U could do the same (dreams).

Yeah I agree, I love the 3D on the 3DS, pretty much always have it on (bizarrely other than Fire Emblem). I won't be too devestated if it isn't on the next one, it'd be nice, but it'll make the 3DS more special in the history of things.

Well, I only own 3 3DS games so far (MK7, NSMB2 and ACNL), but I think the system is doing pretty fine right now. Good review scores for Luigi's Mansion 2 and Fire Emblem, plus Animal Crossing NL is a surprisingly fresh sequel as well.

Also, the eShop and emulator are great. Have played through so many unbeaten old games like Metroid and Zelda II just because the emulator now has a save state function, not to mention I bought quite a few Game Boy games like the Mario Land saga because they were pretty darn cheap. I just hope that some day the Wii U VC will be as good as this one...

Glad to hear you're enjoying it!! If you haven't already, get over the the 3ds friend code thread and add us all! Will be sure to add back!! : peace:

Thanks man! Hopefully I'll manage to find time to get into online a bit more. I'll definitely head over there once I do and especially if/when I get Animal Crossing!

Can anyone of you lovely 3DS gamers help me claim a copy of Monster Hunter 3?

If you know someone who has registered a copy of Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate (Nintendo 3DS version) before 22:59 (UK time) on 31st July 2013, they're entitled to claim a Recomendation Code. If they send this to you, you can claim a Download Code for Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate (Nintendo 3DS version).

Simply enter the Recommendation Code you received from your friend below, and soon you'll be able to enjoy all the action of multiplayer Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate on Nintendo 3DS together!

Just hit me with a PM if you have a registered copy.

Eternally grateful :) !!