NEurope
Dante

3DS Console Discussion

So there's a new 3DS system update out now and it's a big one!

Featurelist from GAF...

Version 6.0.0-11U available via wireless Internet connection includes the following improvements:

Save Data Backup Feature:

Users can now back up save data for downloadable versions of Nintendo 3DS software and most Virtual Console games

Improved system stability and usability

Two kinds of games in a "bigger" Mii Plaza - ones you've already, plus ones to purchase!

We've now got a Shop, and Exchange Booth, a Check for Updates button and a new Play icon, along with a new second screen menu.

New games - Streetpass Squad, Streetpass Garden, Streetpass Battle, Streetpass Mansion.

New game selection section.

Games are bought with real money, as in eShop purchases.

Streetpass Squad is like Streetpass Quest. Takes place in space. Battle the Gold Bone Gang. Costs £4.49.

Streetpass Garden. You move in to a house in Leafington and try to become a Master Gardener, under the tutelage of Mr Mendel. Grow flowers and decorate your garden. Costs £4.49.

Streetpass Battle. Game of strategy and luck. Rule a remote country in a wartorn land. Your butler, Wentworth, helps you build an army via Streetpass to battle other generals. Ultimate goal to conquer the world! Costs £4.49.

Streetpass Mansion. Spooky paranormal investigation. You're a detective trying to solve the mystery of a haunted house, helped by your assistant Ella Mentree. You work to uncover truth with the help of people you meet inside. Battle enemies to reach the top floor. Costs £4.49.

Combo pack is only available for your first purchase and costs £13.49 (saving of £4.47). Deal only available if you buy all four at first. If you buy one on its own, the rest cost full price.

Exchange booth is locked. Clicking on it doesn't do anything yet. You'll need to earn tickets (see below) to use it.

No Xenoblade puzzle for me, but I did get a Skyward Sword one.

Playing games wins you hats and plaza tickets for achieving certain goals. Exchange these for new Mii accessories. Not available in the StreetPass Quest/Quest II or Puzzle Swap.

Get a Pixel Mario hat to commemorate :-)

The Save Data backup option is found in the System Settings menu, in Data Management (it's the new 4th option below "Add on Content")

I've also noticed that there's an icon in the System Settings menu that lets you change brightness now, which is nice considering that you can't access the Home Menu from there (meaning that you couldn't change the brightness from there before).

Anything else anyone has noticed? eShop seems to be the same...

Also does anyone know if you can use someone else's save data, or can it only be your own? (Anyone want to test?)

The new plaza keeps crashing my 3DS :-(

Yeah, same here... Seems to have a nasty tendency to do so whenever trying to connect to the shop...

BTW, here's a developer list for each game!

StreetPass Squad - Developer: Good-Feel (Wario Land: The Shake Dimension, Kirby's Epic Yarn, Wii Play Motion: Veggie Guardin)

-The game is a shmup in which StreetPasses can be collected as weapon power-ups in each stage.

StreetPass Garden - Developer: GREZZO (Ocarina of Time 3D, Four Swords DSiWare)

-The game is a slow-paced gardening game in which StreetPasses not only water your flower to grow, they also bring their own flower to display. Grow them all!

StreetPass Battle - Developer: Spike Chunsoft (Pokemon Mystery Dungeon, Wii Play Motion: Star Shuttle, Virtue's Last Reward)

-The game is a battle game based in older Japan times. It looks like the StreetPasses you make join your clan with all of their streetpasses as their armymen. Fight against enemies in Paper-Rock-Scissors style plus your army count.

StreetPass Mansion - Developer: PROPE (Ivy the Kiwi, Let's Tap, Wii Play: Motion's Trigger Twist)

-The game is a combination of a puzzle-adventure and exploration adventure. StreetPasses give you maps which allow you to add rooms to the mansion and potentially find items. If you encounter ghosts, this initiates a battle sequence with the items you've collected.

Edited by Dcubed

The new plaza keeps crashing my 3DS :-(

Apparently this is a common issue :/

Three new puzzles from what I can see, Skyward Sword, Xenoblade and New Super Luigi U

Oh nice! You can do a save data backup from the Home Menu now too! (A little arrow appears on the bottom right when you highlight a game, press that and the option appears - MUCH quicker than doing it in System Settings! :D)

Apparently this is a common issue :/

Three new puzzles from what I can see, Skyward Sword, Xenoblade and New Super Luigi U

There's supposedly one for NSMBU and a "Heroines" panel as well... Might be more, but those are the only ones I've heard of.

Surprised that it took so long for them to release a Skyward Sword one!

Sorry for being utterly thick, but what does the save data backup do, exactly, and what are the benefits of doing it? What's the use of having a separate save data file on the same SD card as the game is stored?

Just tried using someone else's save file for a game...

No good, doesn't recognise it. Looks like it wont work for sharing save files amongst each other.

Also it doesn't work for the download version of Animal Crossing, Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate or Pokemon Mystery Dungeon GTI, so it seems that Nintendo can block it from working with certain games (no item duping for you!)

Save backup? :bowdown: :bowdown:

Shame it doesn't work with certain games, gotta back them up the old fashioned way.

The new StreetPass Plaza crashes every time I try to check the price of the new games :mad:

Also, when you go into the Plaza Shop and the rabbit talks to, when you select a game and he gives you the initial info and asks if you want more... when you select "Yes Please" he pulls out a tablet and declares "Good thing I've got my new tablet with me"

WTF? Tablet? Such a missed opportunity by Nintendo. They could have had him pull out another 3DS or even a DS Phat like Luigi's "phone" in LM2 or even better they could have had the rabbit use a Wii U GamePad, but no they give him a generic Ipad/Tablet device :(

Edited by Mokong

He's just using the web based eShop. ::shrug:

Reports coming in that if you delete a digital title it will backup the save first and restore it when you redownload it, so that's probably my biggest complaint (after accounts) fixed.

Edited by Ike

G'day people. After a slew of big releases, I'm considering picking up a 3DS once again after having gotten rid of mine at the back end of last year.

So, the reason for posting: anyone know of any decent deals on 3DS bundles? I'm particularly interested in Animal Crossing, Fire Emblem, Luigi's Mansion 2 and Castlevania if that helps in anyway. As for the console itself, I'd probably prefer the original model and not the XL but if there's a decent bundle, I'd be willing to plonk for the latter.

Had a quick look around in store in GAME but as you'd expect, there wasn't anything worth putting money down on (didn't actually think there would be but thought I'd look anyway. There may have been something but tbh, I was a bit tipsy from drinking to really care :p).

Anyway, any heads up on stuff would be greatly appreciated. Seeing all this Animal Crossing fun has made me really want to get back in on the action.

Anyway, any heads up on stuff would be greatly appreciated. Seeing all this Animal Crossing fun has made me really want to get back in on the action.

There have been some great deals in recent weeks/months. Just keep a look out in here and the bargains thread, you're bound to find a good deal soon. If I find anything I'll let you know.

If you buy 3 of the games you mentioned and register them on Club Nintendo before the end of June you can download a 4th one free. There are more details on their website: http://www.nintendo.co.uk/Misc-/Nintendo-3DS-So-Many-Games-Promotion/Overview/Overview-750393.html

The cheapest place to get a 3DS right now is ASDA where it's £140, the red ones are out of stock on their website but the Silver and Blue ones are available for purchase.

I recommend buying 3DS games from ShopTo, they have great prices and very fast postage, I always get my games within 2 days and sometimes it's next day.

EDIT: Sorry I re-read your post and realised you wanted the original and not XL. You can get the original from Amazon for £133 which includes a free screen protector and naff game :D

Edited by f00had

the XL but if there's a decent bundle, I'd be willing to plonk for the latter.

Had a quick look around in store in GAME but as you'd expect, there wasn't anything worth putting money down on (didn't actually think there would be but thought I'd look anyway. There may have been something but tbh, I was a bit tipsy from drinking to really care :p).

The Limited Edition Fire Emblem Nintendo 3DS XL and Black Monter Hunter XL are £159.99 (or was it £149.99?) instore at GAME. They were advertising them in the window of my local this morning. Sold out online btw.

Smyths Toys tend to have decent deals on 3DS bundles too, so check them out if you have one nearby.

EDIT - Just seen this on HUKD. Some users have seen the XL for £119 at their local Tesco stores.

Edited by welsh_gamer

I had a notification for a new system update to be installed this morning, anyone know what it does?

I had a notification for a new system update to be installed this morning, anyone know what it does?

Is it the fix for those 4 Mii Plaza games?

If it's the 6.1.0-11U update, it's just system stability and other "minor adjustments".

Otherwise it's probably the new Street Pass games if you didn't update before.

I don't know if it's the same thing, but I got a puzzle piece for Dillon's Rolling Western last night. I didn't get a system update, tough.

If it's the 6.1.0-11U update, it's just system stability and other "minor adjustments".

Otherwise it's probably the new Street Pass games if you didn't update before.

Nope, it's 6.1.0-12U, got it this morning after checking out the eShop (and I already had 6.1.0-11U as well as the latest Streetpass Plaza update)

No idea what it does. Probably some other security fixes I'd assume ::shrug:

Nope, it's 6.1.0-12U, got it this morning after checking out the eShop (and I already had 6.1.0-11U as well as the latest Streetpass Plaza update)

No idea what it does. Probably some other security fixes I'd assume ::shrug:

Oh yeah. The EU update is 6.1.0-12E, sorry. We're a bit ahead of the US for some reason. Don't think they have the new StreetPass stuff yet still.

Don't think they have the new StreetPass stuff yet still.

Yup. They still don't have it. Only JP & EU for now.

Just checking out the new streetpass games, if anyone has downloaded them could they tell me if they rely on streetpassing or if you can use coins like in the old games.

I don't get many actual streetpasses but I walk a lot :D

Just checking out the new streetpass games, if anyone has downloaded them could they tell me if they rely on streetpassing or if you can use coins like in the old games.

I don't get many actual streetpasses but I walk a lot :D

You can just use Play Coins to use the AI characters like in Street Pass Quest before it. Which is a wonderful for me also.

But it's a little more brutal, especially now with Animal crossing.

10 coins a day.

Animal Crossing = 4 coins

Mansion, Garden and Blast = 2 coins per person

Battle = 10 coins, or 15 coins

Puzzle and Quest = 2 coins each

So... if you rely on coins, then you're going to be seriously stretched :)