NEurope
Dante

3DS Console Discussion

You think 32GB is overdoing it? Roughly speaking, Paper Mario and FE takes around 1GB or little lesss, and Animal Crossing near 2GB I think? Buying it from over here(Amazon weirdly added insane shipping costs) I can save roughly 10£ by buying a 16GB card instead. I think I will still buy most of my games as physical copies, the last two just happened to be digital and AC is basically mandatory as digital.

Edited by Tales

You think 32GB is overdoing it? Roughly speaking, Paper Mario and FE takes around 1GB or little lesss, and Animal Crossing near 2GB I think? Buying it from over here(Amazon weirdly added insane shipping costs) I can save roughly 10£ by buying a 16GB card instead. I think I will still buy most of my games as physical copies, the last two just happened to be digital and AC is basically mandatory as digital.

If most of the games you are going to buy in the future will be physical, then 32Gb is indeed overdoing it. I have 32Gb ATM because I now exclusively digitally download, and would like to trade in all my carts and download everything again, if they become part of a sale in the eShop. 16 Gb should do you nicely.

BTW, I have 5 full retail games digitally downloaded, AC on the way, and a ton of VC and eShop goodness, and I'm not even halfway through that 32Gb yet.

On the subject of memory and downloading games, just wonder if anyone could clarify this for me please...

So I will be getting AC through the 'so many games' promotion as a download to my console. I currently have a normal 3DS, however early July will be getting an XL, which I plan to buy a 16/32GB memory card for. When I do the system transfer from normal to XL, will it transfer all my saved game content over from AC as well, so all my village progress and things like that? I'm sure that doing a system transfer would allow me to re download the title (and my other eshop and VC titles) but would it let me pick up where I left off in the game? I have no means to copy data from my 2GB memory card (that came with the console) onto a new one, so that isn't an option...and want to pick up the zelda VC games just released, but don't want to lose any progress on them either so had planned to wait for the XL before downloading them.

This may seem a simple question but I've managed to muddle myself thinking about it, any help would be greatly appreciated! :)

On the subject of memory and downloading games, just wonder if anyone could clarify this for me please...

So I will be getting AC through the 'so many games' promotion as a download to my console. I currently have a normal 3DS, however early July will be getting an XL, which I plan to buy a 16/32GB memory card for. When I do the system transfer from normal to XL, will it transfer all my saved game content over from AC as well, so all my village progress and things like that? I'm sure that doing a system transfer would allow me to re download the title (and my other eshop and VC titles) but would it let me pick up where I left off in the game? I have no means to copy data from my 2GB memory card (that came with the console) onto a new one, so that isn't an option...and want to pick up the zelda VC games just released, but don't want to lose any progress on them either so had planned to wait for the XL before downloading them.

This may seem a simple question but I've managed to muddle myself thinking about it, any help would be greatly appreciated! :)

The system transfer transfers everything including saves, however it doesn't transfer the SD data to the new one, you need to use the same SD card as the transfer doesn't transfer the actual game install data it just transfer the licenses and allows your content to be used on the new 3DS.

To upgrade your SD card you need a PC/Mac to copy the data over.

Ok cool thanks for that, so any eshop games etc that I have (which are all saved to my memory card) will need to be transfered across to a new memory card via a computer for all my progress in games to still be there? Am thinking mainly of AC in all of this. Hmm. I might get the memory card soon then, then after AC is released when I head home for a weekend will use the parents computer to transfer my data across from the 2GB card I have now onto a new one, ready for my XL! (not that anyone really needed to know that last bit...)

Yep. Or pick up a cheap USB SD card reader (but not too cheap). Redownloading the games from the eShop won't keep the save file since it's tied to the actual game file so you need to keep them backed up on your PC anyway.

Upgrading your SD card before AC comes out would be the safest I'd say.

Great stuff, thanks for your help, ordered a 32GB Sandisk SDHC this morning, get myself prepared and ready for AC! May even download one of the Zelda games when have 100% on DKCR now I know will be able to transfer save data too for that :)

Riddle me this: I have two 3DS systems, both with 4GB SD cards. One 3DS SD card is full to capacity, and the other (new) 3DS has a game preinstalled on it already. I've also purchased a 32 GB SD card. Now, I want to do a system transfer from the 3DS with the full capacity SD card onto to the new 3DS with the preinstalled game. However, there's not enough room to merge the data from the full capacity 3DS with the new one, so am I right in thinking that I'll need to copy the preinstalled game from the new 3DS to the 32GB SD card, put that back in the new 3DS, and then attempt to do a system transfer to the new system? Will all my games and data then be merged?

Bonus question: How does linking my Club Nintendo membership factor into all of this?

My brain = :wtf:

A prize (either by way of emoticon or my firstborn's hand in marriage) to the one who can unravel the aforementioned thread that has my mind bound.

Yes, this is actually a serious question!

OK, so during the transfer you will swap the SD cards, so the full SD card will go into the new 3DS your transferring to. Most of the data isn't actually transferred.

During the transfer the target will get wiped and your data moved over from the source/old 3DS which then then get wiped.

During the transfer your eShop purchases get merged so you keep the preinstalled software but you will need to redownload from the eShop it as it gets wiped during the transfer.

You can upgrade the SD card either before or after the transfer, but you need to copy the data from the full SD card. I'd probably do it beforehand to be sure but it shouldn't matter.

Bonus question: How does linking my Club Nintendo membership factor into all of this?

It doesn't.

Edited by Ike

I have to say, GAME have been suprising me recently with how they have suddenly become 'better' than they normally are.

I have used them loads over the past month or 2 what with trade in's, buying digital, pre-ordering stuff etc.

They have had some cracking offers recently.

I like how they have got their trade in checker fixed on their website so that now nearly all games have a trade in price so you know what you can get without having to trudge into the store with bags of games :D

Their trade in prices are also really good for the most part. Add to that the deal they've recently been running where you get 25% extra on your trade in value by either just pre-ordering a game with them (which can be cancelled any time after!) or if you use the trade in for online purchases / vouchers / download codes. This has suited me recently through all of my eShop vouchers I have managed to get through getting extra on my trade ins with them!

I also like how we are seeing a reduction in donwload code prices compared to the eShop. A lot of the time we're seeing a full ten pound off the eShop prices which I think is great!

The deal above is a steal! Definitely very good value for money. And GAME continue to impress me too!

Yeah, i've noticed GAME are getting less stingy as of late. Heck, i found they sell Blu-rays CHEAPER than Amazon. Yeah, it's only a pound or two, but it is still cheaper.

And they've had some cracking deals of late and are selling products at a more competitive price than they were before. And the 25% extra pre-order bonus thingy for trade-ins is good indeed.

I went with 32GB. Needless to say, the 3DS will be frequently used in the years to come, might as well play it safe and have large card just in case.

Quick question:

In general do people think the 3DS XL is superior to the regular 3DS? Considering buying one soon. Obviously a bigger screen would be nice but does it feel cumbersome or heavy to anyone? I would mostly be using it at home or on the train to work, but carry a bag to work so size isn't that big a concern in that regard.

Also I presume the so many games promotion is only in Europe? I'm in Australia but a quick google only mentions Nintendo Europe.

Quick question:

In general do people think the 3DS XL is superior to the regular 3DS? Considering buying one soon. Obviously a bigger screen would be nice but does it feel cumbersome or heavy to anyone? I would mostly be using it at home or on the train to work, but carry a bag to work so size isn't that big a concern in that regard.

I upgraded to an XL last month, and regret not doing it earlier. Love it. Much better than I expected. It's more comfortable than the original model, it's not at all heavy and the screen makes the games look much better IMO.

I was a bit worried about carrying it around too, but I got this wallet for it, and it's fits perfectly in my coat pocket or satchel. Only thing now is that if I'm playing on the bus, people are more likely to be able to see what I'm playing - roll on Animal Crossing and Pokemon X! :heh:

Quick question:

Also I presume the so many games promotion is only in Europe? I'm in Australia but a quick google only mentions Nintendo Europe.

I'm in the minority who prefers the original. I had an XL and then went back to an original as I found the XL model to be cheap, plasticy and more difficult to carry round.

The only thing I liked about the XL was the bigger screen but even that came at a slight compromise as the resolution remained unchanged from the original model. So some games (NSMB2 in particular) looked a bit stretched and not as crisp.

I have quite small hands and love the way the original feels.

The XL is still brilliant though and it removes the glossy black finish around the screen which looks a bit cleaner on the XL and doesn't pick up fingerprints. But I just leave a clean cloth in between my console when I close it so that doesn't effect me too much.

So yeah for me, original is better suited. Looks better (personal opinion), doesn't feel cheap, is more portable, crisper screen, much better sound from speakers over the XL, and I prefer the buttons on the original too. There's a nice click on the original whereas the XL felt a bit mushy to me.

I upgraded to an XL last month, and regret not doing it earlier. Love it. Much better than I expected. It's more comfortable than the original model, it's not at all heavy and the screen makes the games look much better IMO.

I was a bit worried about carrying it around too, but I got this wallet for it, and it's fits perfectly in my coat pocket or satchel. Only thing now is that if I'm playing on the bus, people are more likely to be able to see what I'm playing - roll on Animal Crossing and Pokemon X! :heh:

How much bigger does it make the 3DS? I want a sock for my xl but can't find any, I have one for my 3ds and its perfect. I have a case for my xl but its way too big and bulky for every day use.

Quick question:

It definitely supercedes the original, in my opinion, even if there are some compromises here and there. There's no way I'd buy an original instead of an XL now.

If you're going to carry it in a bag, that'll be fine. The only way I've found it more cumbersome is that it doesn't fit in my trouser pocket as well (it fits, but it's harder to walk).

Speaking of comparisons....

I want an XL mainly due to size, and mainly as I only play at home anyway so portability isn't an issue.

My main concern are the buttons - which console are the buttons on an XL most like? I don't like how small the 3DS ones are, are they bigger? What is the texture?

I can't imagine playing a (DKC game) on a console with clicking buttons. Literally makes me a shudder and is a bit scary.

Speaking of comparisons....

I want an XL mainly due to size, and mainly as I only play at home anyway so portability isn't an issue.

My main concern are the buttons - which console are the buttons on an XL most like? I don't like how small the 3DS ones are, are they bigger? What is the texture?

I can't imagine playing a (DKC game) on a console with clicking buttons. Literally makes me a shudder and is a bit scary.

Dude... 1) go try before you buy

2) You've already got the best version of DKCR

3) Three minutes here and you're away... quickety quick...

How much bigger does it make the 3DS? I want a sock for my xl but can't find any, I have one for my 3ds and its perfect. I have a case for my xl but its way too big and bulky for every day use.

Everything I saw before lostmario suggested that wallet was big and bulky too. It doesn't make it that much bigger - think of it as a nice looking Filofax :smile:

Thanks for your opinions guys! Looks like the XL is the way to go. I had a play with one in the shops yesterday. While it does look a bit cumbersome and not as slick as the regular 3DS, I think the positives outweigh the negatives especially with the bigger screen. Looking forward to some Nintendo goodness again :)

That wallet looks great. I think I will try to get something similar, I don't want it getting bashed around in my bag! Also I fear I will have the same thing as you- I will probs get Animal Crossing in a couple of weeks! I will be wearing a suit on the train to/from work though; playing Animal Crossing like a boss :cool:

I was a bit worried about carrying it around too, but I got this wallet for it, and it's fits perfectly in my coat pocket or satchel.

I got the same one but in blue to go with my blue XL.

In that case, you might want to avoid getting this then: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00A3Q1FSC/ref=mp_s_a_1_10?qid=1370239377&sr=8-10π=SL75

Seriously though, another +1 for the XL here. I've owned both versions but the XL is definitely the way to go (at least for me – Aneres makes a good case for the original)

Might be worth mentioning that Game are offering £40 off all XL purchases, including the Fire Emblem and Monster Hunter bundles. They seem to have the best online prices currently.

I am tempted to get that Pikachu 3DS :P

Unfortunately I'm living in Australia so can't avail of the Game offer :(

I think I'll check a few more shops to see if they have any regular 3DS' out, would like to see how I go with the smaller screen. I've played my cousins before but can't really remember how big the screen is. I'll still probably get the XL though, the screen looked pretty sweet when I played it!

What are people's favourite games?

I think I'll buy Super Mario 3D Land and Mario Kart first. I'm tempted to get OOT 3D too but it feels like a waste to buy the same game three times! Especially since we have a Wii in our house so I can get it for ~$10.

What are people's favourite games?

Retail games only?

Fire Emblem: Awakening, Kid Icarus: Uprising, Super Mario 3D Land, Metal Gear Solid 3 Snake Eater, Devil Survivor: Overclocked, Luigi's Mansion 2, Resident Evil Revelations, Ocarina of Time 3D and the recently released Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D.