NEurope
Dante

3DS Console Discussion

I noticed people were downloading it on neogaf so I tried and it worked.

Is there any Demos yet of 3DS games?

It doesnt look like any content has been added to the eshop. A redeem code bit has been added to the settings but no software.

i'm very surprised at how "good" the quality is. i was expecting it to be more like..

but we get

Edited by or else you will DIE

I'm really pleased with how much came with that update. 3D video recording is cool, though I doubt I'll use it much, and there are loads of neat additions to StreetPass Plaza. I particularly like that there are a lot more things to spend your play coins on, and that both Puzzle Swap and StreetPass Quest will take longer to complete due to branching routes and smaller puzzle pieces (including some that can't be bought with play coins - fantastic!). Also, I'm loving the new hats that are available, and there are so many of them. :D

I am not happy about Mario Kart and SpotPass populating my Plaza. Is there any way to turn this off, other than turning the whole Plaza Spot pass functionality off?

Loving the update. :D

The intro to StreetPass Quest II had me in stitches! :laughing:

Got 25 of the new plaza accomplishments already done! The StreetPass Map is a cool new feature too, I didn't realise that I'd collected Miis from 14 different countries. :smile:

Not had much chance to mess with the video recording yet, but it's nice to see that the quality is good. icon14.gif

Can't wait to try some stop motion stuff. :hehe:

I also noticed a slight change on the friend list as well. The register friend button is now always accessible in the top right of the touch screen, regardless of where you are on your list. :smile:

And Spot Pass Puzzle pieces :D

Though I think they may be the middle pieces in the new puzzles, with the 2x2 square, meaning you need SpotPass to finish

even though swapnote is part of the firmware update, the eshop content is updated every thursday so does this mean that swapnote will be coming tomorrow?

also straight after the update i went to the eshop it worked, but it was exactly the same. except for the redeem code icon in the settings. im guessing this will be used for Kid Icarus 3D Classics next month.

Does this update include background downloading to the eShop?

has someone tried downloading anything yet?

Edited by -Dem0-
Automerged Doublepost

I'm very very pleased with what is there. But quite disappointed with what isn't.

All the features as mentioned above are brilliant, so that's great. But where the hell is messaging, this makes me think well download it as an app from the store, meaning no multitasking, meaning absolutely frigging pointless for organising matches. Semitones online and you want to ask them for a game of mario kart? Tough shit, they can't check the message til later! I guess the est you can do is organise a time to meet later on - boo!

Haven't checked yet and going to work now, but are there any distribution functions on the video recording?

I'll be having a mess around with this update tonight... I had barely scraped the surface of all the default 3DS features and now they've gone and heaped more on... :grin:

This update is all around awesome!

Streetpass Plaza update is amazing BTW! Soooo happy that they added an option to listen to the soundtrack, always was sad that I couldn't hear the old music after getting more people! Street Pass Quest 2 is already epic! The gameplay is quite different from the last one (very cool that you can recruit past encounters. I have 330 odd Miis ready and raring to go!) The achievement accomplishment for seeing 100 Miis in a single day is just nuts though, I'm never gonna be that lucky! There's a metric ton of new content and neat little touches (like the seasons changing as your character walks on the Puzzle Swap screen :D The intro to Streetpass Quest 2 is just all kinds of LOLworthy. Nice and awkward start! :laughing:

Video recording quality is surprisingly good too. Seems better than the quality for pictures! We need a 3D video depository for viewing on the 3DS! (at least, until Youtube 3D inevitably arrives)

Also, the sleep mode downloads are VERY much appreciated! It's basically a background downloading queue (and yes it works even when playing a 3DS game) where it downloads up to 10 games while in sleep mode via Spotpass and pauses whenever you open it (you can see the download progress on the gift icon itself) It doesn't work when you're playing a game online though (so you can't be playing online in Mario Kart, put it in sleep mode and have it download in the background). It also doesn't work while playing an original DS/DSi game (Well DUUUHHH!!!)

BTW: I'm shocked that I've already met people from 20 different countries and I've filled in every region in the UK except for Wales and Northern Ireland! - didn't realise that I got so far already! :D

Here's a list of all the changes in this update (thanks Neogaf!)

Nintendo Zone - Depending on what region your 3DS is from, you might have a new icon on your main menu which allows you to download videos and demos from specific retailer wi-fi hotspots. Best Buy is that retailer in the US right now.

3D Video recording - This is under the camera icon where the pictures have always been. You can also start it by pressing the L and R buttons from the main menu.

QR Code scanning - In the camera application, there is now an icon you can press to scan QR codes. This is for regular QR codes and not Mii QR codes. When you scan them, you will be able to launch the 3DS web browser and go to the website.

System Transfer - You can now transfer all your games, saves, and settings from one 3DS to another. The option for this is under the System Settings menu.

Find Mii 2 - The sequel to Find Mii is now available to people who have already collected all the hats from Find Mii 1. Find Mii 2 will appear in the same menu where Find Mii 1 is. Find Mii 2 has a bunch of new hats including; Epona, R Wing, top hat, pirate hat, and many more.

New 3D Puzzles - The new puzzles are found in the same menu where the old puzzles were. The new puzzles are 40 pieces and have pieces you can only get from SpotPass. Some of the new puzzles include Mario Kart 7, Super Mario 3D Land, and Star Fox 64 3D.

Accomplishments - Achievements specifically for Mii Plaza.

eShop Updates

- The eShop loads faster.

- You can now add the exact amount you need to buy something. You don't have to add funds to a wallet if you don't want to anymore.

- You can now save your credit card info to your system.

- You can now queue up to 10 downloads and download them through SpotPass while the system is in sleep mode.

- You can now redeem download codes. The option is under Settings/Other on the eShop.

- Downloadable demos are available now depending on what region your 3DS is from. Japan has demos right now. Maybe the rest of us will get demos on Thursday.

- Developers can now put DLC on the eShop. No DLC that I know of is available yet though.

Other little things I've noticed.

StreetPass Plaza now saves all the Miis that are part of any online Community you add to your games (Currently only Mario Kart 7 supports this. I have quite a few Miis now - including yours Red Shell! Mine will come up as Deanie!) They will not come with puzzle pieces though and cannot be used in StreetPass Quest

You can now do face merging on the 3DS menu, instead of having to load up the camera app. The QR code reader is there too (speaking of which, it doesn't recognise game specific QR codes. Just web sites and presumably eShop ones. Pretty stupid, it should prompt you to open up the game that the QR code is specific to)

There's a new section in the Data Management menu (3DS Settings) for Add on Content (so it's not counted as Extra Data)

3DS loads up apps/games faster now (no little weird Wii style pauses any more!)

eShop loads up faster (and those weird little sound crackles that you'd sometimes get on the ratings screens are gone now :D )

The register friend button is now always accessible in the top right of the touch screen, regardless of where you are on your friends list (shamelessly copy/pasted from RedShell because I'm too lazy to type!)

The eShop game icons now display how many reviews a game has been given, alongside the star rating.

The game pages on the eShop have been redesigned slightly (everything is arranged in a line now and the screen scrolls left and right (probably because of the extra "demo" icon that will eventually appear there)

The "Available in Shops" text has been replaced with "Not available in Nintendo eShop"

You can now set a filter for the New Software arrivals screen (so you can just look at new DSiWare games, or just new VC games etc)

Edited by Dcubed

Also, the sleep mode downloads are VERY much appreciated! It's basically a background downloading queue (and yes it works even when playing a 3DS game)

Does it? I tried this morning and it certainly didn't download until the 3DS was in sleep. But then I'm on 3G and all my wireless stuff is going to pot since Mario Kart.

Edited by david.dakota

Does it? I tried this morning and it certainly didn't download until the 3DS was in sleep. But then I'm on 3G and all my wireless stuff is going to pot since Mario Kart.

It works when you are playing a game and have the 3DS in sleep mode (so it doesn't have to be while on the 3DS main menu)

What he means is, say you're playing mario kart gp and whack it in sleep mode, it will still download.

Downloads only happen in sleep mode!!

Oh, BTW. One other little thing. It's possible to copy certain AVI format videos to play on the 3DS!

Someone converted a Xenoblade trailer to play on the 3DS http://www.mediafire.com/?upckmo8rum3iqk7

Details on the video format used can be seen here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=33245080&postcount=547

There seems to be some sort of length/size restriction in place though (probably a 10 minute limit, just like your own recorded videos), so you probably won't be able to watch whole movies on there, but it's a start at least! (until Youtube 3D comes around ;) )

Also just to clarify the shop credit card thing. When you update funds, you can still only do it in £10 chunks. But if you just want to buy a game, go to buy it directly, then it asks you to add funds, and at the bottom it says something like "add the exact fund needed" (not this but I can't remember now).

So that's good for the people who hated that, especially now the credit card is saved, so much easier!! (dangerous)

Also, heard there was a channel for downloading videos and games from specific stores (different for each region). We don't have one so I fear demos may not be coming to us just yet!

Also just to clarify the shop credit card thing. When you update funds, you can still only do it in £10 chunks. But if you just want to buy a game, go to buy it directly, then it asks you to add funds, and at the bottom it says something like "add the exact fund needed" (not this but I can't remember now).

Yes Nintendo, this is exactly what I wanted! Thank fuck they finally got round to offering this.

Any word on when we're going to be able to download the messaging feature? I really hope it's something we can use whilst playing a game, would kind of eliminate the point of it if we can't.

Letterbox isnt part of the update, however it will be available later this month. how much later? no clue, but im guessing it will probably be in the same update as the GBA Ambassador games.

Made a short (very short :heh:) stop motion:

Was amazed at how functional this aspect of the 3DS video camera is. Not only is it nice and fast, but the faint image of your previous frame is super handy too. icon14.gif

I definitely want to try using it to make a better/longer animation sometime. :smile:

Made a short (very short :heh:) stop motion:

Was amazed at how functional this aspect of the 3DS video camera is. Not only is it nice and fast, but the faint image of your previous frame is super handy too. icon14.gif

I definitely want to try using it to make a better/longer animation sometime. :smile:

Haha! Awesome! :grin: