NEurope
Dante

3DS Console Discussion

There's no way I can't get this with the price drop so I am mighty excited to be picking up a 3DS tomorrow. Only thing is, I'm pretty low on cash so can only get one game. What do you guys suggest? So far I'm thinking Ridge Racer/Nintendogs(+ Cats) or Ocarina Of Time!

I'd probably still opt for my launch purchase of Pilotwings Resort, Josh64 :smile: If you haven't played Ocarina of Time before, however, then I would imagine that would be the obvious choice :heh:

There's no way I can't get this with the price drop so I am mighty excited to be picking up a 3DS tomorrow. Only thing is, I'm pretty low on cash so can only get one game. What do you guys suggest? So far I'm thinking Ridge Racer/Nintendogs(+ Cats) or Ocarina Of Time!

resident evil the mercs is actually pretty good

The three games I'd most recommend so far are:

Pilotwings Resort - challenging and the most convincing argument for 3D.

Super Street Fighter IV - less button-mashy than DOA.

Ocarina of Time - looks a beauty, plays like a dream.

I have already played Ocarina which is the only thing putting me off. I was quite tempted by Pilot Wings but was scared it would be too similar to the flying sections on 'Sports Resort but you all seem quite keen on the game so I might end up getting that instead.

If you want a great game which isn't a port or recycles tracks, islands, characters etc from other games, try Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars It's really addictive and a great choice if you're a fan of strategy games.

I have already played Ocarina which is the only thing putting me off. I was quite tempted by Pilot Wings but was scared it would be too similar to the flying sections on 'Sports Resort but you all seem quite keen on the game so I might end up getting that instead.

Don't worry.. it's nothing like the flying in Wii Sports Resort :heh: Having said that, it's one of those games that you'll either blast through quickly and feel aggrieved that you spent £20-£30 on it or, like me, you'll get 15-20 brilliant hours out of it with plenty more still to achieve :hehe:

If you're looking for Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition, I got it new from Zavvi's outlet store on ebay a couple of weeks ago for only £12.99 :smile: The 3DS controls are not ideal for it but they're adequate once you get to grips with it..

Even though, objectively speaking, DoA is shite?

My reccommendation would be to not waste your money on a fighter for 3DS.

Pilotwimgs is amazing. Yes it is quite similar to Wii sports resort, but a lot better and the length is much better than was stated. But only if you like improving on your medals and scores.

As for the two fighters, I have them both and think they are both fantastic, and completely different to eah other. I would say dead or alive is probably a bit more impressive though actually (but I do have sf4 on the ps3) - it uses every single feature of the 3DS brilliantly, play coins to unlock costumes and trophies, street pass for scraps against people you meet, spot pass for online challenges and costumes, the gyro sensor on the home menu screen and the picture taking bit. It's got quite a few game modes, a few different multiplayer and online. It's a great showcase of what I think most games need to be doing.

I think ridge racer is underrated too. The lack of online is a it gormless and even local multiplayer is slightly disappointed, but its still loads of fun and the one player is massive.

Zelda is Zelda. It's amazing, it looks amazing, and it's amazing having it on a portable.

Resident evil mercenaries is one if the biggest surprises. Get past the awful training mission and the game is fantastic. There's not loads to it, but its so much fun you'll keep playing it, little things like unlocking char acts and costumes, having rankings on levels really encourage you to keep playing, and online, although gimped, is awesome.

Fair enough, but I just feel that playing any given fighter that's positioned as a rather technical one, such as SF4 is kinda redundant without an arcade stick. The whole of the fun you get from it is stringing together cancelled combo chains seven moves deep and creating your own play style that is totally impossible with the DS controls. But I guess expecting it to be the same game as it is on console is a bit ridiculous.

That's the fun 'you' get From it. I and clerkly millions of others aren't as bothered about that. I think it's an incredible portable version of the super powered home console version. If it's too casual for you that makes perfect sense though.

Resident evil mercenaries is one if the biggest surprises. Get past the awful training mission and the game is fantastic. There's not loads to it, but its so much fun you'll keep playing it, little things like unlocking char acts and costumes, having rankings on levels really encourage you to keep playing, and online, although gimped, is awesome.

Does it have the same (awful) 1st person aiming as Revelations?

I've inky played the revelations demo one and I'm sure it controlled exactly the same, so yeah I guess it does. I don't find it that bad though.

Pilotwings Resort is really divided into two modes: one is about challenges, the other is about exploration. I suppose the latter is mildly similar to the Airplane mode in Wii Sports results, but with better controls and sharper visuals. For what it's worth, I found it much more enjoyable.

As for the fighters, I felt a little bit cheated on missing out on the DLC for DOA. However, now it's starting again on Monday, I can recommend it more.

Regarding the Street Fighter debate, of course it's not as hardcore as the console versions, but I feel any dedicated fans of the series would have had it ages ago on Xbox 360 with an arcade stick anyway. The 3DS version is very accessible. You can use the touchscreen controls until you're good at it (or keep using them if you find it more fun). At the end of the day, I'm never going to understand all the technicalities of fighting games, but I can still enjoy them on 3DS, using the StreetPass features etc.

You can choose to swap between 1st person aiming or RE4/RE5's over the shoulder aiming (I prefer the latter).

You can choose to swap between 1st person aiming or RE4/RE5's over the shoulder aiming (I prefer the latter).

Ah, that's OK then. The 1st person aiming was the default in the Revelations demo and I hated it.

These price dropping shenanigans are amazing. At this rate I hope to get a 3DS for less than £100 a little further down the line. :grin:

I've inky played the revelations demo one and I'm sure it controlled exactly the same, so yeah I guess it does. I don't find it that bad though.

If you go into the Options you can change aiming to 'Third Person' and play the game just likeMercenaries mode on consoles. I haven't gone back to 1st person aiming since switching it.

Just picked up a new cosmos black 3ds + OoT for 75€ (65£) due to price drop + vouchers + special discount + 3 old games turned in. Felt like a great fucking deal!

So... here I go again, OoT!

There's pretty much no other game out there for the 3DS worth my money yet, right?

Got my 3DS for £112.60 from Currys with a price-check and 10%-of-the-difference discount. Pretty pleased with that.

Tesco price drop to £115 - 10% staff discount - £5 voucher = £98.50 :cool:

Yep I picked up another one, and at that price why not? :p (it's not for me though) the £115 price point at Tesco will only last until 25/08/11 by the way, after that I fully expect the price to return to a still reasonable - but nowhere near as great - £135 so that it still remains competitively priced.

Emailed Nintendo Customer Support the other day regarding the lack of a messaging system for the Nintendo 3DS, got this response

Hello,

Thanks for contacting us. At this time we have no plans to include a built-in messaging application on the Nintendo 3DS. However, I’ll be sure to document your interest in such a feature and share it with other departments to use as they see fit.

That said, there is plenty of other built-in software for you to use on the Nintendo 3DS. To learn more about them, please visit our Nintendo 3DS-dedicated website. I’ve provided a direct link below:

http://www.nintendo.com/3ds/built-in-software/

Sincerely,

Annie Bowman

Nintendo of America Inc

Surely not. Someone has to ask nintendo directly. To say, why put in a friends list and see when they're online f you can't invite them to games or message them? It absolutely pointless. Why do journalist not ask see basic questions?