NEurope
Dante

3DS Console Discussion

20 free games has completely swayed my opinion on the 3DS, I am one selfish mother fucker :D

But this drop in price really had to happen. Loads of people have spent their time thinking the 3DS is just another incremental upgrade Nintendo released to the DS. Although that idea is retarded, once mainstream appeal titles start hitting like Mario Kart and Super Mario 3D Land people are gonna finally realise "uh, I can't fit this game cart into my DS lite".

Hopefully this will provoke more people to buy it and finally developers will start seeing the incentive rather than currently looking at it and saying "I'm not gonna hit a bijillion sales with this"

Yeah, this is mainly the fact they look beyond the hype train when it's just been released. I look at it that way too, but I won't deny that 3.6 million units is a good start.

710,000 over 3 months though, not so much..

I really hope you're right.

What this reminds me of is the massive price cut 6 months after the N64's release

Glad to see that the price is being dropped for those looking to buy in to the 3DS. I've maintained that the initial asking price was too high from the start, leaving little room for disparity between the home console market price point (with all 3 current consoles available at lower prices than the 3DS when it launched) and the handheld market, and an anemic release schedule since the launch doesn't exactly make the 3DS appetising, especially when you consider that the average consumer walking into a store will not consider 'potential' with regard to other titles but what is available now.

So yeah, it's a good thing.... at least for NA. With European stores once again being allowed to set the price, it'll only really have an effect on the continent as I don't think stores there have discounted it as much as stores here in the UK have been doing. That could mean that when it comes to cutting the price here in the UK, stores may well only consider dropping it to the £180 mark or so, taking £20. Nintendo really should step in and give an RRP. Hopefully they'll do that with the WiiU.

Still, 20 free games is nice, along with a confirmation of GBA games coming to the VC.

And here I was, thinking Nintendo should try to push that far too high price through holiday sales with Mario Kart and Super Mario. That definitely reeks of desperation. :heh: Although - by all rights - it puts the 3DS' price in a region where it belonged in the first place.

The appearance of GBA games on the VC was merely a question of time imo. It's not like Nintendo to let money lie on the street... But apparently, these ten games early adopters will get, are exclusive to them. I wouldn't mind, if they didn't include Metroid Fusion. That alone makes this a real dick move, although it might pacify early adopters somewhat.

What this reminds me of is the massive price cut 6 months after the N64's release

This is what came to my mind too, although that was 2 months after launch not 6. I've been on the fence about getting a 3DS all this time, which is out of the ordinary for me as I'm usually an early adopter when it comes to Nintendo. Good thing I waited.

Edited by Helmsly

It does reek of desperation. But GOOD!! It needs it. It's now going to be priced brilliantly for the autumn, which can only be a good thing. And loads of free games :)

ive already downloaded mario and zelda on the vc, will i only get 8 free games now or will there be a bigger selection of games than 10 for the 1st lot ?

Lol I bet Diageo this would happen before the year was out, they definitely got too greedy. There's no way it should have been selling for 250 dollars in the first place. How much are games on the eshop usually?

ive already downloaded mario and zelda on the vc, will i only get 8 free games now or will there be a bigger selection of games than 10 for the 1st lot ?

These are the NES games, not the GB games ;)

GBA

• Yoshi's Island™: Super Mario Advance 3
  • Mario Kart™: Super Circuit
  • Metroid™ Fusion
  • WarioWare™, Inc.: Mega Microgame$
  • Mario vs. Donkey Kong™

This is fucking awesome!! :D

Worth paying that bit extra at launch!!

Mario Kart Super Circuit is fantastic!!

Haven't played Metroid Fusion but have been wanting too for ages!

Never played Yoshi's Island, but it's meant to be great!

WarioWare games are brilliant fun! and I haven't played this one!

and now I'm getting them all for free!! :yay:

Edited by Retro_Link

When I first read 20 free games, I figured it'd be like Sony's thing and have mostly shit but one or two good ones...but this <3

Plus it says we will get updated versions when they go live indication 3D enhancements??

I do worry though, this does smack of desperation

People do miss the fact that the 3DS launch was one of Nintendo's most successful launches, but it's being pegged as a failure :/

Well the gamecube was the greatest launch of it's time as well. It means nothing..

Desperate Nintendo is good nintendo.. Let's not forget that. They got lazy with the wii, I prefer this nintendo.

I'm expecting Pokémon Pinball: Ruby & Sapphire to be included here

Fantastic news all round! The 3DS' chances of success have just sky-rocketed and it bodes well for a sensible consumer-friendly approach for the WiiU.

I'm honestly a little bemused by the negative spin being put on this - 'desperate'?. It's a sharp, decisive business move that makes perfect sense. The 20 free games offer might be the best bit of Nintendo PR, well, ever.

I got my 3DS at launch for 200 and haven't regretted it for a second. It already feels leaps and bounds ahead of the DS in terms of gameplay experiences (endless text driven turn based rpgs are all well and good, but it's time to move on!). Within the first year the 3DS will have more more top quality first party franchise titles than its predecessor had in its entire lifetime. Mountains have been made of molehills over many a niggling issue.

This is a move in the right direction!

Desperate isn't really the word, I agree. It was overpriced in the first place, and plenty of people recommended that they lower the price and target advertising away from the 3D aspect. They're doing that, and now those same people turn around and have a dig at them for it.

This is fucking awesome!! :D

Worth paying that bit extra at launch!!

Mario Kart Super Circuit is fantastic!!

Haven't played Metroid Fusion but have been wanting too for ages!

Never played Yoshi's Island, but it's meant to be great!

WarioWare games are brilliant fun! and I haven't played this one!

and now I'm getting them all for free!! :yay:

I share your excitement :yay:

I can't wait to see what other games will be on the list. Although I've never exactly regretted buying the console at launch, this definitely makes up for any slight doubts I may have had about the money I invested in it at the beginning..

Thank you, Nintendo :grin:

I'm a bit bummed to have paid full price, but equally pleased that I'll get some free games especially as there are a few in there that are missing from my collection that I wanted to get.

I may have missed it, so my apologies, but is there a date when the games will be available?

Within the first year the 3DS will have more more top quality first party franchise titles than its predecessor had in its entire lifetime.

No offence but you must realise how silly that line sounds. There is only really one top quality first party release for the system right now and that's port of a 13 year old game that wasn't even handled internally. Next up will be Star Fox and then Super Mario and Mario Kart (assuming they are all up to snuff) since no one has a clue when Kid Icarus or Luigi will be landing. Are you telling me the DS only has 4 top quality first party games?

As for the price drop/free games...

The NES games will be little more than a novelty played once or twice and then never touched again. I'll play Zelda and Mario Bros probably more than the rest but not loads.

The GBA games I just worry that there will only be 10 anyway and I'll own most of them like YI, MK:SC and Metroid. I don't have WW or MvDK but WW never really struck me as my kind of game but I'd like to try MvDK.

But hearing the sales figures of 700k for three months is worse than I had expected. I knew it wasn't exactly flying off shelves but still... ouch.

I understand they've revised profits down but have the adjusted unit sales or do they still believe they can hit 16m before the end of the Financial year - is the reduction due to the price cut or the price cut and lower sales estimates?

No offence but you must realise how silly that line sounds. There is only really one top quality first party release for the system right now and that's port of a 13 year old game that wasn't even handled internally. Next up will be Star Fox and then Super Mario and Mario Kart (assuming they are all up to snuff) since no one has a clue when Kid Icarus or Luigi will be landing. Are you telling me the DS only has 4 top quality first party games?

As for the price drop/free games...

The NES games will be little more than a novelty played once or twice and then never touched again. I'll play Zelda and Mario Bros probably more than the rest but not loads.

The GBA games I just worry that there will only be 10 anyway and I'll own most of them like YI, MK:SC and Metroid. I don't have WW or MvDK but WW never really struck me as my kind of game but I'd like to try MvDK.

But hearing the sales figures of 700k for three months is worse than I had expected. I knew it wasn't exactly flying off shelves but still... ouch.

I understand they've revised profits down but have the adjusted unit sales or do they still believe they can hit 16m before the end of the Financial year - is the reduction due to the price cut or the price cut and lower sales estimates?

They still believe 16m by the end of fiscal year is doable

No offence but you must realise how silly that line sounds.

The point I was trying to make (apologies for hyperbole!) is that Nintendo have basically shot their load franchise-wise within year 1: Mario, Zelda, Mario Kart, Star Fox, Animal Crossing, Luigi's Mansion, Paper Mario. Whether you count resurrections like Pilotwings and Kid Icarus is another matter. After this it's only really DK, Metroid and Smash Bros to go.

I like Super Princess Peach and Kirby's Power Paintbrush as much as the next guy ;) but the DS, certainly within this time frame, isn't comparable.

We've still not heard much about Animal Crossing and Paper Mario and Luigi's Mansion 2 is confirmed 2012 anyway. I wouldn't be surprised if they slip into the next fiscal year.

I may have missed it, so my apologies, but is there a date when the games will be available?

September.

The point I was trying to make (apologies for hyperbole!) is that Nintendo have basically shot their load franchise-wise within year 1: Mario, Zelda, Mario Kart, Star Fox, Animal Crossing, Luigi's Mansion, Paper Mario. Whether you count resurrections like Pilotwings and Kid Icarus is another matter. After this it's only really DK, Metroid and Smash Bros to go.

I like Super Princess Peach and Kirby's Power Paintbrush as much as the next guy ;) but the DS, certainly within this time frame, isn't comparable.

In some ways, they are getting out the franchises surprisingly quick, but assuming they don't end the system prematurely, I hope there will be a new Zelda game designed for the system from the ground up... wouldn't bet on an original Star Fox though.

I think there will be a couple of Kirby games over the years including one true platforming game - they never seem to sell loads, but they do sell consistently. A true Pokémon game (which is handled by the Pokémon Company but that's really splitting hairs) will shift more than a couple of units of hardware on top of the millions of software.

Hopefully there will be another Yoshi game and not some iffy spin off.

There has to be another Golden Sun given how the last one ended and stuff like Fire Emblem and Advance Wars will be putting in an appearance at some point I hope. They could even do a Battalion Wars too if they wanted now the system has the grunt.

Also, the Super Mario game is 3D and I can't see Nintendo not pumping out a 2D game also - they seem to treat them seperately as far as franchises go now.

They still have plenty left in the tank after year one if they can be bothered.