NEurope
Dante

3DS Console Discussion

Still wonder why Nintendo can't put together a bit more of an smartphone experience like with iOS or Android on the 3DS. It is small and powerfull so lets make the most out of it. I want a decent market and friend system. Every Nintendo rep highlightens the all-connected access features and how you walk around and get information but the most basic features are missing and something like achievements is unwanted. Why not copy Sony and MS - achievements cost nothing but are fun.

Interesting quote from Reggie:

Are Nintendo finally implementing an account system/tying purchases to our Club Nitendo account?

Purchases are already tied to your club Nintendo account. I know Nintendo UK can access your Wii Shop purchases, so the system is already there - as long as your accounts are linked in the Shop Settings.

Still wonder why Nintendo can't put together a bit more of an smartphone experience like with iOS or Android on the 3DS.

What defines the smartphone like experience for you? For me that would be to make phone calls and have (pretty much) a touch screen only device with a bigger screen. So it's superior for not game related tasks (browsing, E-Mails etc.).

I want a decent market and friend system.

Their store seems far superior to what they tried in the past. Videos, demos, ratings etc.. They also seem to have a friend system that's not garbage for the first time.

Why not copy Sony and MS - achievements cost nothing but are fun.

They do cost something actually. Much of the cost is a one time investment, but it's still an investment. You'll have to design and develop the server backend that stores your account data and the possible achievements and which of those everyone got. Then on the handheld side, you'll have to develop the system on the OS level that gets notified by the game, when an achievement is unlocked and synchronizes with the server backend at some point.

Overall, they seem to do most things you'd expect from a console today right with 3DS or much better than how they did them in the past.

The thing that annoys me with achievements is that people now play games for the achievements and not for the games themselves. This is wrong.

I play a fair few games on the 360 and while there may be some achievement whores out there, I don't think they represent the majority. I see achievements as another collectible for if you want to 100% complete a game. I'll only specifically seek out an achievement if I like the game enough to want a reason to keep playing it.

Achievements can really expand the longevity of a game and reward you for certain things that might otherwise have gone unnoticed. Like if in an FPS you manage to kill 10 people with just a sock. Without achievements, that event would go unnoticed.

Purchases are already tied to your club Nintendo account. I know Nintendo UK can access your Wii Shop purchases, so the system is already there - as long as your accounts are linked in the Shop Settings.

My Wii was stolen in 2007. I bought a new one last year and inquired about my VC games - they asked for proof that it was stolen so I sent them the police report.

They were then able to transfer all the licenses over to my new Wii and all I had to do was to go to the Wii Shop Channel and download them. In addition, the Wii Points I had were also transferred.

The entire system of your Shop Account and the ability to transfer licenses digitally is already there.

The thing that annoys me with achievements is that people now play games for the achievements and not for the games themselves. This is wrong.

I know what you mean but achievements make me want something to show for me waisting my time on a game, like my sig below, the updates on facebook to show people how im doing, and it no doubt gives huge replay value to most games.

I'll be honest, scince getting my PS3 I just dont feel much need to play my wii, 'sick it out' on a hard part, cause if i were to do somthing hard on ps3 would get a trophy or somthing....its bad but thats just the way my brain works.....i am somewhat a trophy whore. Oh and the ps3 games that dont have trophys? Dont feel much need to go back and play them.

I dont think Nintendo need achievements/somthing like that. But if they did it would be cool, but if implimented it wont be till the next home console. No achievements on handhelds..psp didnt do trophys.

My Wii was stolen in 2007.

:( ugh I hate hearing thinks like that.......sorry to hear it

makes me feel sick to think if any of my stuff got stolen I dont know what I would do

I can imagine achievements for Pokémon

"You beat the Gym Leader" - 5G

"Defeated your rival" - 5G

"Used your Master Ball on a Rattata" - 50G

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO D: thats so bad...

I try not to use my masterballs now, I think I caught Lugia in like a pokeball........not even kidding. I know it was some legendary in a stupid ball anyway. Catching a legendary in somthing thats not a masterball, thats more of an achievement.

I try to make a point of catching all the legendaries in Pokéballs now. It was too hard to do the legendary dogs, but the stationary ones are doable.

What defines the smartphone like experience for you? For me that would be to make phone calls and have (pretty much) a touch screen only device with a bigger screen. So it's superior for not game related tasks (browsing, E-Mails etc.).

Their store seems far superior to what they tried in the past. Videos, demos, ratings etc.. They also seem to have a friend system that's not garbage for the first time.

They do cost something actually. Much of the cost is a one time investment, but it's still an investment. You'll have to design and develop the server backend that stores your account data and the possible achievements and which of those everyone got. Then on the handheld side, you'll have to develop the system on the OS level that gets notified by the game, when an achievement is unlocked and synchronizes with the server backend at some point.

Overall, they seem to do most things you'd expect from a console today right with 3DS or much better than how they did them in the past.

I want a decent browser with flash support, where I can actually download stuff. I would like PDF viewing support, basic office tools, support for next-gen audio/video codecs, a alarm clock, voice chat (eg. Skype), etc. Why? Because I think 250€ justify such little things - and that is also my point why I want achievements. All thise always online crap and hidden messaging but such a basic feature is to cost expensive and people rather want to discover games by themself? Yeah sure I just don't believe that.

A ZTE Blade runs Android 2.3 and can do all that stuff for 149€, a device 100€ more expensive which makes a lot more return through games should be able to do the same. Nintendo always does that. Leaps one big step forward (dual screen with touch, Wiimotes and now 3D) and at the same time they go one backwards when it comes to the rest. Because right now all I get for 249€ is a slightly faster (I am yet to be convinced about any big technological leap forward) DSi with 3D support and more expensive games.

Long story short: you want a smartphone, an iPod Touch or a PSP2.

It's Nintendo, they're building machines exclusively for gaming the way they want while everything else is an afterthought and they're choosing the price so that they make money out of them.

If you want a jack of all trades device, you're always looking at the wrong company with Nintendo.

Long story short: you want a smartphone, an iPod Touch or a PSP2.

It's Nintendo, they're building machines exclusively for gaming the way they want while everything else is an afterthought and they're choosing the price so that they make money out of them.

If you want a jack of all trades device, you're always looking at the wrong company with Nintendo.

Exactly and this is why I am complaining - of course I am fully aware that my post won't change anything. But it may help some people who are yet undecided in their choice. I still have a 3DS on preorder but this time I am not so sure if I really get the handheld during launch. In my town (~250k) I was among the first people with a Wii on launch day so I do like Nintendo after all. I am just not happy with a lot of their decisions lately. This is the main reason why I stopped and bought a PS3 and so far I did regret my decision.

This is the main reason why I stopped and bought a PS3 and so far I did regret my decision.

Wait, you did regret it? Going by your complaints about lack of achievements I fully expected to read "didn't".

Anyway, if it buggers you that Nintendo completely bow out of the race for powerful, feature heavy hardware while still charging non-bargain prices, I'd suggest you just cancel your preorder.

It's not like the 3DS is going to sink any time soon. So you'll still be able to pick one up when the price becomes comfortable or the game library has grown just too compelling to resist.

At the moment, I'm waiting and watching. I know that I do eventually want a 3DS. It doesn't bother me that Nintendo offers very little features beyond gaming and that there won't be large many major western devs putting effort into supporting it either. I just consider the price generally far too high for a portable gaming machine. 200€ would've been my limit. Depending on how the 3DS has developed after a year though, I might get one anyway. The most important things to me are that they get distribution of digital content with their eShop right and that the online system will be comfortable. At the moment both are looking rather good and there's hope that Nintendo will evolve the system much more actively than the way they did on the Wii.

Edited by Burny

No I regret it in the way that I missed out on a few really great Wii and DS games but all in all I am currently happier with my PS3. Money is the main issue here.

If I cancel my preorder I do it not because of the lack of features but to save money and get the 3DS after the first price drop or at least wait until there are more quality games out I am interested. So I will get a 3DS my only concern is if I should get it right at launch like I usually did with Nintendo consoles or just wait and see how things look at christmas.

If I were to purchase the 3DS then I'd imagine that perhaps Super Street Fighter lV 3D would keep me occupied for a good ol' while, maybe.

I think I'm just going to see how things are going for a short while...

The 3DS has an incredible unique selling point; 3D, on-the-go, no glasses- that's one hell of a crazy proposition, lets not forget that. iPhones, Androids and Blackberrys don;t have that - they're convergence, they do their jobs exceptionally well but none have a USP. Brilliant devices, but - honestly - no USP (I say that as a huge smartphone fan too).

Nintendo have nailed their device firmly with a USP, just like they did with the original DS and Wii. And its something that's unlikely to hit other devices that have made a name with touch controls, we won't see it on iPhone until Apple include physical buttons - something neither the smartphone/tablet industry is moving away from. Just why would Sony not want to rip that USP away from Nintendo? And they say Yamauchi was bonkers!

No matter how great the visuals look on the PSP2, they're doing to lack the 'wow' factor that the 3DS has automatically built in. Same with iOS and Android devices. The 3DS will simply have to compliment your mobile, not replacement (I for one will be using my phone to create a personal wireless hotspot for online play anywhere).

I think the whole negative 3DS argument is just more anti-Nintendo - and that will not end until Nintendo suddenly turn into Sony. Techies picking on specs, rather than looking at the experience. Price aside, the 3DS seems a marvellous piece of kit.

Of course, that's not to say I don't find fault with the 3DS - its price, its limited cameras, its poor battery - these are the debates we needs to be having. Not comparing it to smartphones and tablet computers.

The 3DS has an incredible unique selling point; 3D, on-the-go, no glasses- that's one hell of a crazy proposition, lets not forget that. iPhones, Androids and Blackberrys don;t have that

- Sharp Galapagos. 3.8" Android Phone with glasses-free 3D Screen.

- LG G-Slate. 8.9" Android Tablet with glasses-free 3D Screen and 3D Camera (Pictures/Video).

Although both will likely be more than double the price of the 3DS.

I wonder if the general public will like the 3D? I mean, I'm happy to turn it off and consider the machine a DS2, but the general consensus at the moment seems to be that you'll turn it off quite quickly. Glasses-free 3D is an amazing selling point, I just wonder if most people will want to turn it off, like I suspect "keen" gamers might.

I told my workmate I intended to use it in 2D, and he said to me "Is there any point in getting a 3D machine to use in 2D?" To which I said "Yes, it's the DS2", but I admit it's a funny thought.

- Sharp Galapagos. 3.8" Android Phone with glasses-free 3D Screen.

- LG G-Slate. 8.9" Android Tablet with glasses-free 3D Screen and 3D Camera (Pictures/Video).

Although both will likely be more than double the price of the 3DS.

That and neither will have the next generation of Nintendo handheld games.

Glasses-free 3D is an amazing selling point, I just wonder if most people will want to turn it off, like I suspect "keen" gamers might.

As long as it's good enough that they want to turn it back on when their eyes have recovered, there should be a point. ;)

Edited by Burny

I wonder if the general public will like the 3D? I mean, I'm happy to turn it off and consider the machine a DS2, but the general consensus at the moment seems to be that you'll turn it off quite quickly. Glasses-free 3D is an amazing selling point, I just wonder if most people will want to turn it off, like I suspect "keen" gamers might.

I told my workmate I intended to use it in 2D, and he said to me "Is there any point in getting a 3D machine to use in 2D?" To which I said "Yes, it's the DS2", but I admit it's a funny thought.

I see no problem with it. Until next weekend (hopefully) I have no idea if I'll be able to see the 3D. Even so, there's still enough of a selling point for me.

I see no problem with it. Until next weekend (hopefully) I have no idea if I'll be able to see the 3D. Even so, there's still enough of a selling point for me.

I'll be turning off the 3D most the time. I'm ridiculously battry concious with gadgets lol, even my smartphone. Also very concerned it might give me headache cause my eyes havent been able to get used to the 3D at cinimas.

Yes I understand why people are saying whats the point getting a 3D console to play in 2D. But the games will still look great in 2D, as well as all the other nice features.

anyone else had invite to 3DS event yet?/how?/by what means (club nintendo/future/etc)

I can imagine achievements for Pokémon

"You beat the Gym Leader" - 5G

"Defeated your rival" - 5G

Yeah, but think of the replay value! :blank:

I agree, achievments are shit.

I enquired to Nintendo about the 3DS event.

Events are 18+ and invites are sent at random.

:( I want to go ffs. Really...really..want to go. If I cant go I will cry. I will cry. I dont have many saturdays off work. Be nice to go Bristol again... *lightbulb* I should change my location on club nintendo to bristol!!!! *runs off*

DAMN its postcode only