NEurope
Dante

3DS Console Discussion

I won't be joining in the chat. Not because I don't want to but because I've been roped in to cover the event as everyone else at the site which I right for is at work or in bed (one Australian contributor).

So I'll be multitasking trying to cover both the US and European events. Got so many windows open on this screen just to cover everything live and post stuff as well as having press sites open for access immediately after the event finishes.

I'm willing to bet my damn laptop crashes just before they start to announce release dates and prices :laughing:

I've been meaning to ask you always say you work for a site, what site?

So to sum up over an hour of boring conference!!

- March 25th

- No Price ("price decided by retailers"... WTF!)

Edited by Retro_Link

Retailers shouldn't be able to get away with overpricing it because we already know it's being pitched at the same price as Wii in the States. I know it didn't seem the case earlier today, but this thing really shouldn't tip £200.

Thought they'd at least list the RRP in their press releases but no. Simply says 'determined by retailers'. That's going to be an issue.

Shouldn't be more than £200, possibly £180, but if you've pre-ordered in store, I'd definitely go in tomorrow and check the price they're stating as stores will have a price tomorrow.

Similarly, no launch title mentions. Again, I guess we'll have to go on what retailers are listing for the 25th but they really should have given both a price and the launch titles. That's not how you announce release plans for a console Nintendo.

HMV has become the the first UK shop to pin a price on the 3DS: £229.99.

Leading UK videogame seller GAME hasn't yet decided what to charge. "We're still working it out - it may not be announced until tomorrow, " a GAME spokesperson told Eurogamer.

Nintendo announced at its press conference this afternoon that pricing was in the hands of individual shops.

We'll update this story with pricing as it comes in.

Good times - rofl

If it's £229 I'm not buying one. I'll cancel my pre-order with Gamestation and just wait.

HMV will have to drop that! $249 does not equal £229! They can fuck off! I'd rather import one... and subsequent games!

Guess it explains the region lock.

"Squeeze every last penny out of those Europeans!"

Guess it explains the region lock.

"Squeeze every last penny out of those Europeans!"

I'm pretty sure that's bang fucking on.

The Wii and DS finally established Nintendo as a widespread mainstream European name and now they want to cash in to the fullest and milk this while it lasts.

It wouldn't surprise me if it's capped at "no lower" than £200.

£200 is pushing it for me tbh, I'd want atleast a game with it for that price given how poor the launch line up is. I already own SF4 and really, there's nothing there for me to play. Hell, I'd probably just be using it for Pokemon Black tbh.

ONE FRIEND CODE!!!!!

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

:yay: :yay: :yay:

ONE thing from the official press release:

Fans of online play will be happy to learn that the friend codes for Nintendo 3DS are specific to each Nintendo 3DS system, not each game. Once friends trade hardware codes, at any time they can check their friends list to see which of their friends are online and what they are playing.

So yeah, still no hardware independent accounts... :hmm:

With the LED showing when someone comes online and stuff it's still three steps up for Nintendo's standards. Like the price...

Edited by Burny

No more Points, 'pparently.

Nintendo's 'Points' system is out for 3DS, with straight money-based transactions in...

On Wii and DSiWare, if you want to purchase a piece of software, you have to have Nintendo Points available. These can be bought in bulk either via a credit card on the system, or in the form of Points Cards in game retailers. On 3DS, Nintendo is overhauling the online framework to make things more streamlined.

On the 3DS 'eShop', you can purchase software directly using a credit-card. For those without credit cards, you can buy prepaid cards at retailers, making the system seemingly similar to iTunes.

It's also been reconfirmed that a Virtual Console will be in place, with classic offerings from Game Boy and Game Boy Colour on the eShop. The 3DS will also have its own internet browser available some time after launch.

Also, nice to know:

The 3DS will be compatible with MP3 files and high capacity SD cards...

More morsels from the show floor, this time concerning the wider media capabilities of the 3DS.

Like the DSi, the system will be compatible with SD and SDHC cards up to 32GB. Also, support for AAC music files will be carried over, but Nintendo are also adding MP3 support, allowing much more versatility in the audio department. 3DS will have its own sound application allowing users to play and manipulate music loaded from an SD card.

It was earlier confirmed that all European 3DS units will ship with a 2GB SD card.

So, I need to use my 1000 points I still got with DSi before 3DS? Ah well. Hope we start with something again. Free stuff all the way!

I predicted ~£250 as a high estimate for the 3DS to friends. I saw the NA $250 price tag first and thought that Nintendo might be a bit cheeky with the European pricing. So far, I'm being led to believe (by press more than Nintendo) that the 3DS is so completely amazing and that any price tag is justified. I guess £230 is their compromise for those 'casual' users.

As for the release date, I'm surprised that it is so close to NA. I really thought that it would be months behind because everyone hates Europe, especially Japanese publishers.

Really? Even though it was confirmed several times it would be in March? :heh:

£230 isn't a compomise for casual gamers though. If anything it's geared more towards the 'core'. I won't know many 'casual' folk buying this for a fair bit.

Have had news on that charging cradle yet? It it a wireless charger?

Edited by david.dakota

Anyone watched the vids on Kotaku? Pretty amazing the Augmented reality cards as well as multitasking such (suspending the game to take notes on screen). Camera features are pretty impressive. The video with Zelda really shows how nice it looks in motion, fair to say screenshots don't do this device justice. Really wish I could afford the console :sad:

Really? Even though it was confirmed several times it would be in March? :heh:

£230 isn't a compomise for casual gamers though. If anything it's geared more towards the 'core'. I won't know many 'casual' folk buying this for a fair bit.

When was a date confirmed by Nintendo before today?

'Reggie said focus groups were consistently saying 3DS was worth between $300 and $400, "but of course we're not going there." The price: $249.99.'

When was a date confirmed by Nintendo before today?

'Reggie said focus groups were consistently saying 3DS was worth between $300 and $400, "but of course we're not going there." The price: $249.99.'

In September, when the 3DS was given its February 26th Japanese date, they said it'd be out in the other territories by the end of March. When it was first announced, it was promised that it'll be out before the end of the fiscal year

Sorry to disappoint guys but there was no Nintendo staff at hand to ask questions to (although I did see Tim briefly) but I don't know if they've been covered during the day anyway. Just got back. Going to sleep. Need to be up in 6 hours.