NEurope
Dante

3DS Console Discussion

I dunno why people joke about it, but i'd fooking love a console with an inbuilt toaster. Instant purchase.

I've moved on to wanting toasters with Android now. Slightly more plausible.

Does this mean that I can't play my imported DS games on the 3DS then or are they still ok to play? I was hoping to trade in my DSi when the 3DS arrives but i'll have to keep it if they aren't gonna work on the new machine.

I would presume that it would work exactly like the DSi's region coding.

Well done, Nintendo. You've just peed off many gamers, me being one of them.
Pretty much expected this, what with aspects of the DSi being region locked. It's still very annoying though. :nono:

I wouldn't mind at all if Nintendo and others just localised all of their games, but the list of titles I'm interested in (and not just DS but also Wii) that never got released over here is quite substantial:

Tingle's Balloon Trip

Ganbare Goemon

Tomodachi Collection

Fatal Frame 4

Captain Rainbow

Taiko Drum Master Wii

Excitebots

etc, etc...

Overall I've got 22 import games in my DS collection, and while most of them did eventually get released over here (just me being impatient :heh:) a few of them didn't. And when I look at those particular games and try to come up with a reason as to why they didn't get localised, I can never think of one. Not a single reason, it just doesn't make sense. Contra 4 is a prime example of that, how exactly was it not suited to the European market? ::shrug:

As far as other unreleased titles go, the most mind boggling of them all has to be Excitebots! That game would easily be successful in Europe, why the hell didn't it even get a chance? :mad:

It's a lose-lose situation the way I see it. Gamers miss out on certain games, devs/publishers miss out on those sales. In fact, it seems like the only ones who are unaffected are the bloody pirates! :indeed:

This thing was getting hacked regardless. Now I guess the hacking will be far more widely supported. Here's a fuck you back, Nintendo - I am going to pirate as many 3DS games as I possibly can. Even ones I don't want and especially the ones you didn't want me to have in Europe.

If Sony can region free their console and handheld games so should everyone. Nowadays this kind of move, more than anything, just comes across as unnecessarily cruel.

Edited by Guy

You really think so? This is even worse than the reported battery life. Add in an extremely weak launch lineup and a potentially inflated price tag and you can consider a good few people firmly on the fence with this device.

Poor battery life I can kind of grudgingly accept as they probably didn't have as much control over that, but region locking is a disaster for a handheld. Especially a Nintendo handheld.

Nintendo explained it well with the DSi and it's completely understandable. It's due to differences in network services, parental controls and rating systems

Nintendo explained it well with the DSi and it's completely understandable. It's due to differences in network services, parental controls and rating systems

They explained it, anyway. I don't know about 'well'. :p

But don't mind me. I'm just mad because we won't get the next Ouendan game.

Poor battery life I can kind of grudgingly accept

But that wasn't expected. Region locking has been expected since the very start.

Please don't tell me you subscribe to that nonsense. It's because specific regions are losing money and they couldn't control what people were playing when.

But that wasn't expected. Region locking has been expected since the very start.

True, but it's still extremely sad and frustrating when someone you know is going to die actually goes and dies.

Edited by Guy

Please don't tell me you subscribe to that nonsense. It's because specific regions are losing money and they couldn't control what people were playing when.

You mean a business wants to make sure each region gets the revenue that each region should get? Surely you jest. This company isn't meant to make money, they're just meant to capitulate to us hardcore fanboys.

Bastards.

You mean a business wants to make sure each region gets the revenue that each region should get? Surely you jest. This company isn't meant to make money, they're just meant to capitulate to us hardcore fanboys.

Bastards.

Sony manage just fine with the PS3 and that isn't even a handheld.

Nintendo managed just fine too before suddenly deciding there were reasons to region lock. I'm sure, like the battery life quotes in the other thread, there are quotes of them saying a handheld should not be region locked due to people travelling.

This would all be just dandy if it wasn't a fact they still completely neglect to release some of the finest titles on their systems in Europe.

And let's be honest if we're gonna talk money, do you really think Nintendo are short on cash at the moment? They've seen unprecidented success with their latest systems. They're doing fine.

Edited by Guy

And let's be honest if we're gonna talk money, do you really think Nintendo are short on cash at the moment? They've seen unprecidented success with their latest systems. They're doing fine.

Worst argument against a corporation ever.

Nintendo have had a very hard line against cross-region selling for a long time. They were very forceful to retail especially companies like CeX and I'm surprised that Chips hasn't had it's hand smacked yet.

I don't know the ins and outs myself but I know that the grey market created by that kind of activity has enough of an impact on companies for them to take major action against it. They don't just do it for laughs.

Perhaps this is a turning point for Nintendo, perhaps they'll be investing in more translators and actually release titles they've developed? :hmm:

Anyway, this whole Coins thing is pretty bonkers. Actually, the fact its cross game is pretty nice - but honestly, all i'm required to do is walk (or shake) my DS? Really? But at least its a step - ahem - in the right direction.

It's only going to shoot themselves in the foot.

The overall perception of flash carts these days are "For poorfags who can't afford games" or "bare basic homebrew and keeping your entire DS collection with you". It's now going to appeal to a wider audience when the 3DS gets broken when there are games that won't be available in the region (EU especially).

I think the main focus of the region locking is the USA to Europe importing. Networks and crap are bullshit. NOE are trying to cover their own ass when it comes localisation times (admittedly improving, I'l give them that) plus the ridiculous prices for games. (£35 RRP? Fuck off. Who do you think are with your pricing strategy, Sony's hardware marketing department?)

Perhaps this is a turning point for Nintendo, perhaps they'll be investing in more translators and actually release titles they've developed? :hmm:

Hahaha! Good one. ;)

Worst argument against a corporation ever.

Good or bad argument, what I said is true. They're raking it in thanks to the loyal fans they just kicked right in the balls with this region locking stunt. Disgusting. It isn't even an attack on the casual gamers they've enticed this generation, it's a direct assault on the (I hate this word) hardcore who have supported them since the beginning.

Another assault, I'll add.

Now we can't even play some of the very few Nintendo games we actually want to.

Nintendo have had a very hard line against cross-region selling for a long time. They were very forceful to retail especially companies like CeX and I'm surprised that Chips hasn't had it's hand smacked yet.

CEX were stopped because they were selling MODDED CONSOLES and regularly breaking street dates. I know this because I bought a modded GameCube from them. They were free to import as they saw fit before then, it's only since the modding they stopped from what I remember. They probably stopped other console importing because it became unprofitable thanks to the Internet.

I also believe the modding consoles/release date thing is why CEX no longer stock any brand new games. They used to get new deliveries in much like any old game store, but they'd sell them as soon as they arrived. Not that I complained.

There's a reason CEX are a joke among game stores but it isn't entirely their fault.

Edited by Guy

DS/DS Lite

There are no Region codes in DS and DSlite

DSi/DSi LL/3DS

But DSI, DSILL,3DS has Regioncodes.

The Region Codes are installed in each games and the 3DS itself.

If the codes dont match

You cant play

If the region codes are different. For example

If you play a korean 3DS game with a Japanese 3DS system

(or vice versa) you wont be able to play at all.

I don't get it. I can play FF: Four Heroes PAL version on my NA DSi?

I don't get it. I can play FF: Four Heroes PAL version on my NA DSi?

Fours Heroes is a DS game with no DSi-enhanced features. Imported copies of Pokémon Black/White, on the other hand, would not work on a UK DSi.

Good or bad argument, what I said is true. They're raking it in thanks to the loyal fans they just kicked right in the balls with this region locking stunt. Disgusting. It isn't even an attack on the casual gamers they've enticed this generation, it's a direct assault on the (I hate this word) hardcore who have supported them since the beginning.

Another assault, I'll add.

Now we can't even play some of the very few Nintendo games we actually want to.

Actually, I believe they're raking it in, not due to the hardcore fans, but due to the masses to which they now appeal with the casual market on the DS and Wii. If anything, it's the hardcore fans which nearly pulled them under with the Gamecube

There's so much I want to quote and contribute too, but I can't really be bothered. But with Scoop & Debug Mode anyway. Dunno why they're pretty much giving folk the middle finger. If they are going to be so bold as to do this, i'd really hope they would actually release games everywhere and in a more timely manner, instead of forcing region locking for areas that are getting region specific games.

But with each region getting their sales, does each region warrant that extra little bit of sales that the minority of gamers decided to import cause of long waits. I don't really feel really feel like waiting a year+ for a game, not when they can do better. And is sales really going to make much difference in each region? The only gamers who will be importing will be the 'hardcore' gamers, and even then, it's not like their profits/revenue is going to change much from that.

And besides, you could for example say for instance, sales could even go down for some games. Atlus is a prime example. They barely release games here at all. Only Japan and the US. For instance, people will import some games from America, but will lose out due to region locking, same with Japan only games. I just don't see how this is a good thing.

It'll be hard to judge what I said, due to lack of sales data, but restricting gamers i'd say is bad.

Actually, I believe they're raking it in, not due to the hardcore fans, but due to the masses to which they now appeal with the casual market on the DS and Wii. If anything, it's the hardcore fans which nearly pulled them under with the Gamecube

Eh? I know you didn't mean it in the way I read it as, but it sort of sounds you're implying that it's the hardcore fans that contributed to the lack of success for the Gamecube =P

But seriously, this revelation means I'l be buying a flash cartridge as soon as they are on the market. I might even be an ass about it and not buy the incompatible region copy if they're so set on denying people a free market (region encoding has it's days numbered any way).

If anything, it's the hardcore fans which nearly pulled them under with the Gamecube

What? Because we didn't buy twelve copies of every game? The "hardcore" supported Nintendo through very difficult times with the N64 and the GameCube. I can't believe you'd imply the fans themselves are responsible for nearly destroying Nintendo... so I'm just, like Debug Mode above, going to assume you meant one thing and said something completely different.

I don't have all the answers or information, guys, but I can smell a dirty maneuver a mile away. And this region locking move is an absolute stinker. Just because they did it with the DSi and you got used to the idea of the 3DS being region locked does not make it right.

If you guys want to continue discussion without my involvement, I'll gladly shut up.

Eh? I know you didn't mean it in the way I read it as, but it sort of sounds you're implying that it's the hardcore fans that contributed to the lack of success for the Gamecube =P

But seriously, this revelation means I'l be buying a flash cartridge as soon as they are on the market. I might even be an ass about it and not buy the incompatible region copy if they're so set on denying people a free market (region encoding has it's days numbered any way).

Quite the opposite. I'm stating it's ONLY the hardcore fans who got the GameCube and very few others. This meant that sales weren't as high and bam...