NEurope
Dante

3DS Console Discussion

You think that all ten games would appeal to you not to mention be any good?

It's all about choice nobody says you have to buy ALL ten.

I'm happy you are happy but personally I can see a drought coming onto second half of 2010..

2010? If we're talking about the 3DS (and since we're already well into the second half of 2010) then I assume you mean you think there'll be a drought towards the end of 2011 ...? For the 3DS? I don't think there will. Not all games mentioned will be launch games so we'll have plenty to look forward to all year long with the 3DS. As for the possibility of 10 launch games, no I don't expect them all to appeal to me but I'm confident there'll be a couple (and that's the amount I'll buy with the machine) for me, and everyone has different tastes and I know Nintendo have to appeal to everyone, and I'm happy with that.

If you did indeed mean 2010 then that's a shame, as I personally feel there's plenty to enjoy for all tastes coming over the next few months.

There's still quite a lot of DS games not released which I hope they get out before the 3DS kills off the DS, for example: Dragon Quest VI, Dragon Quest Monsters Joker 2, Fire Emblem: (New) Mystery of the Emblem, and probably some others.

There's still quite a lot of DS games not released which I hope they get out before the 3DS kills off the DS, for example: Dragon Quest VI, Dragon Quest Monsters Joker 2, Fire Emblem: (New) Mystery of the Emblem, and probably some others.

Tingle 2 where art thou!

Now, I've got my DSi XL, I really want Dragon Quest VI and DQM 2 as well.

Now, I've got my DSi XL, I really want Dragon Quest VI and DQM 2 as well.

Japan's getting an expansion pack (read: re-release) of DQMJ2 with new monsters and maps. Hopefully they'll bring that out over here.

Hoping I can clear my DS backlog before the 3DS comes out as well. A lot of RPGs to go thorough though.

Hoping I can clear my DS backlog before the 3DS comes out as well. A lot of RPGs to go thorough though.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. I'm still loving Dragon Quest IX (excellent value), especially since I found the Metal King Slimes. Actually, now I think of it, don't the downloadable Quests last a year or so? If that's the case, I'm going to keep my DSi XL until I've done everything in DQIX on it.

I know the 3ds is going to consist of mostly ps2 style graphic games but I hope devs don't give up on that charming 16-bit style graphics either :)

Graphics seriously don't matter all that much to me, as long as they are clear.

What he said! :D 2D games looked gorgeous on the DS, I'd love to see them brought to vivid life with the 3DS. Just because proper, non-blocky 3D is possible now doesn't mean 2D should be abandoned!

I know the 3ds is going to consist of mostly ps2 style graphic games but I hope devs don't give up on that charming 16-bit style graphics either :)

Marvelous are thinking about bringing Muramasa onto the 3DS :D

Have people forgotten about Paper Mario 3..DS? :sad:

Iwata Address Games Prices

Nintendo and its third parties shared names and details for a number of 3DS games at the Nintendo Conference 2010 press briefing earlier this week, but not a single game was listed with a price. So how much will we have to pay for these newfangled 3D games?

CEO Satoru Iwata addressed this issue during a Q&A session at a recent investors briefing. Said Iwata, "We don't believe that the world is in a state where high priced software will sell well, so we don't believe it will be in a price range too far off from current DS software."

This comes despite Iwata's expectations that 3DS software could span a whole range of development budgets, from the same cost as current DS games to extremely rich software that costs far greater than DS games. Nintendo does believe that because of this "dynamic range" of software development budgets, there could be some variance in software costs.

This was my biggest problem with the DS - most of the 3D games didn't have clear graphics. All the biggest visual feasts on it were contained in 2D games like Etrian Odyssey and Phoenix Wright.

Have people forgotten about Paper Mario 3..DS? :sad:

huh? Does it contain 16-bit style graphics?

anyway do you think developers will be FORCED to use the 3d effect? Earlier on I said i'd love to see it's power if the 3d wasn't used.

I sense the death of 2d style games if this is true.. I mean how would a game like chrono trigger or super mario world work in 3d?

This was my biggest problem with the DS - most of the 3D games didn't have clear graphics. All the biggest visual feasts on it were contained in 2D games like Etrian Odyssey and Phoenix Wright.

It's why n64 games a lot of the time looked great to me. It may have had 3d basic graphics but it was perfectly clear. You still wouldn't cringe playing super mario 64 today, whereas a lot of ps1 dated to the point of being unplayable.

Edited by mcj metroid
Automerged Doublepost

anyway do you think developers will be FORCED to use the 3d effect? Earlier on I said i'd love to see it's power if the 3d wasn't used.

I sense the death of 2d style games if this is true.. I mean how would a game like chrono trigger or super mario world work in 3d?

Not sure if it will be forced to use 3D but it certainly wouldn't ruin any 2D games if that was the case. Games like Mario could just stay 2D in gameplay terms but have scrolling backgrounds actually appear behind the player and various bits popping out at you. I've no doubt at all that something along the lines of New Super Mario will come out and look/play absolutely fantastically sticking to 2D gameplay with 3D graphics. In fact I think things like that will be the best use of the functionality.

huh? Does it contain 16-bit style graphics?

That's a good point. Paper Mario is all very well, but it's not quite as enjoyable as seeing animated sprites. What is the style of Paper Mario or Wario Land: the Shake Dimension called - "hand drawn" or something like that?

You mention 16-bit... I'm not being pedantic, but look at how good the 32-bit games were (like Guardian Heroes) and imagine if that exact style was updated utilising the power of today's machines.

I'm sure we all want a 2D Metroid. Wouldn't it be good if it actually used sprites? 2.5D would be good enough, but proper, sprite-based 2D could make it a classic.

Marvelous are thinking about bringing Muramasa onto the 3DS :D

Marvelous indeed! Can't believe my games teacher hadn't even heard of it until I told him I'd be doing a presentation on it.

Uhm, nothing is showing for me?

I've been having this problem with GT videos embedded here for a wee while now.. and I'm pretty sure I have Adobe Flash Player 10 as I suspected that could be the problem..

Interesting little video. Must say that there is one question that I WISH people would answer. Is the thumbstick any good?

Uhm, nothing is showing for me?

I've been having this problem with GT videos embedded here for a wee while now.. and I'm pretty sure I have Adobe Flash Player 10 as I suspected that could be the problem..
Good to realise a few other people on the forum having this problem too!

I've continued to post videos, but I myself have been having to watch everything on GT, as all I get here is a white square!

I don't get why I'd be able to watch the same video GT and not here.

Edited by Retro_Link

Good to realise a few other people on the forum having this problem too!

I've continued to post videos, but I myself have been having to watch everything on GT, as all I get here is a white square!

I don't get why I'd be able to watch the same video GT and not here.

Yeh.. and I'm able to watch the videos if they are posted on GoNintendo..

I wonder what the problem is here ::shrug: