NEurope
Dante

3DS Console Discussion

So it's coming out in March just like the ds..... That'll shut the pre-Christmas crowd up once and for all!

Looking forward to March but it must be said the system doesnt look like a graphical powerhouse at hall. Maybe somewhere between a N64 and GC?

Assuming the specs had truth to them, then you could put it roughly around "PS2 level" in terms of processing power, but with more modern lighting, bump-mapping,etc capabilities and the like due to the feature set of the GPU (the one that was talked about earlier in the thread I believe).

Due to the 3D effect requiring each screen to be rendered twice though (I think?) it'll be harder for developers to really utilise the full power of the system. I think though that's why the first party games are mostly basic. I think Nintendo probably urged caution on their teams to remember that they want to make sure all the early 3D games are running as smoothly as possible and not to take too many risks visuals wise.

looks great! Ds itself had a software montage for anyone still interested in that piece of shit :D

*Puts hand up*

(Wait....what was the Sonic Game? Didn't look like Colours....unless Colours looks identical to Rush) Whaaaa.

KIRBY???

Pokemon typing???

Beyblade could be lol.

This is nothing we didn't see when the system was announced. All the screens are of the same games looking virtually the same. What is shocking you? :confused:

I didn't bother looking at any screens when it was announced. I just saw the trailer for resident evil.

I've watched the videos showcasing the games and resident evil still looks good, but Kid Icarus looks really jaggy. I think they could do some more work on mario kart too.

Watching the video has made me realise it is much more powerful than the DS, I suppose sometimes it's just hard to see now much better things look on still pictures.

(Wait....what was the Sonic Game? Didn't look like Colours....unless Colours looks identical to Rush) Whaaaa.

Colours on the DS is a 2D game that looks like Rush.

There's a video of several of the games here, including a surprisingly brilliant-looking Resident Evil(s).

Graphically, it seems to suggest some developers are trying harder than others to get the most out of it. Games like Metal Gear Solid, both Resident Evils, Kid Icarus and Animal Crossing look really superb. But something like Ridge Racer really pales in comparison.

So yes, it looks like Capcom are also releasing a standalone RE: Mercenaries game.

EDIT: TALES OF THE ABYSS FOR 3DS! ZOMG!

Edit 2: Now dawned it probably won't release outside Japan. Hmm.

Edited by D_prOdigy
Automerged Doublepost

Just been watching this:

Sweeeeeeeet! :grin:

Holy mother of god!! That looks immense! I'm not usually one for 1-on-1 beat 'em ups but that could very well convert me!!

Lots of good stuff from that' date=' I'm actually excited about a video-game related launch again. Something that hasn't happened in a long time for me. I think all the extra connectivity in and around the games is a fantastic thing. Better get our pre-orders in early.[/quote']

Yeah, anyone know of any European conferences or anything so we can know when to listen out for the release date so that we can actually get our pre-orders in?!

There's a video of several of the games here, including a surprisingly brilliant-looking Resident Evil(s).

Graphically, it seems to suggest some developers are trying harder than others to get the most out of it. Games like Metal Gear Solid, both Resident Evils, Kid Icarus and Animal Crossing look really superb.

So yes, it looks like Capcom are also releasing a standalone RE: Mercenaries game.

I am so pumped for this system! Really, Feb/March can't come soon enough! Those games are, for the most part, looking awesome, and then when we get a hold of them we have to remember we'll be seeing them in proper non-glasses 3D! Okay, need to calm down.... :laughing:

And for the first time since the GC I'm actually hyped for an Anuimal Crossing game! That says something!

Quick question about that new video which has popped up. When that lass is walking around and everyone's DS' are playing with each other, what exactly is going on? From what I can gather, the next time she opens her DS she can see who she's walked past and what they may have been playing. Not exactly a dealbreaker.

Quick question about that new video which has popped up. When that lass is walking around and everyone's DS' are playing with each other, what exactly is going on? From what I can gather, the next time she opens her DS she can see who she's walked past and what they may have been playing. Not exactly a dealbreaker.

The Tag Mode opens up a whole load of possibilities, though. Like a local, social version of WiiConnect24. Several DS games, such as Nintendogs and DQIX, have their own specific 'tag modes', but this requires you to set up the game then put the console into sleep mode, and hope someone else has done exactly the same thing. The Tag Mode on 3DS is already built into the console, and developers can make every game compatible with it. You don't need to set up a specific game to start broadcasting or collecting data, it's all done through the console. It's a little more than a case of just seeing what they've been playing.

From the looks of it, the Street Fighter will compare stats with people near you and decide a winner.

You don't have to have a specific game inserted either. So say you have 4 (random number just) games that all have a tag mode in them, and the first time you're playing them you activate it, that info will be stored in the 3DS. This means, when you're walking about your 3DS can send and receive data from all 4 of those games, even if you don't have any of them actually in the system. They detailed this at E3 I think. I'm really looking forward to this system as it gets around that problem of not running into anyone with the same game plugged in, a problem that the original DS had.

When you think of the amount of DS's there are about (I see them being used everywhere!), and the fact that the 3DS could end up being just as - but probably more - popular, this new feature could rock!

lylat wars, mario kart, ocarina of time, that pit game

Those are enough for me at launch already. March is a great date too, gives me plenty of time to save. Surely they won't launch it any later than that?

From the looks of it, the Street Fighter will compare stats with people near you and decide a winner.

Oooh a virtual pissing contest.

If there's an ability to turn this tag thing off to conserve battery I think I shall utilise it.

If there's an ability to turn this tag thing off to conserve battery I think I shall utilise it.

Simply turn Wifi off from the home menu.

I must have missed it, but how much internal storage does the 3DS come with, excluding the 2GB SD card?

It has 1.5GB of internal storage. Thought I'd clear that one up. Would be stupid of them not to put any internal storage in the console given that the DSi has some and they're providing both 3DSWare and a Virtual Console service.

Graphically, it seems to suggest some developers are trying harder than others to get the most out of it. Games like Metal Gear Solid, both Resident Evils, Kid Icarus and Animal Crossing look really superb. But something like Ridge Racer really pales in comparison.

Yeh.. that's one of the things I happened to notice from the video. Ridge Racer looked terrible :eek:Resident Evil, however, looked very impressive :hehe:

There is so much to look forward to :yay:

It's the same price as the Wii when that launched in Japan. However, as currencies are very different, it's hard to predict what it will be elsewhere. Hopefully they'll stick with the "same price as Wii's launch" elsewhere.

Well, the Wii was 25000 at launch but in 2006 that was roughly $215 and it was $249 in the US. Hopefully they won't follow that same trend of slightly upping the price to over $300.

Why is there a charging dock instead of just a charger? That just seems odd.

Those RE games look fantastic.

Edited by Nolan

I didn't bother looking at any screens when it was announced. I just saw the trailer for resident evil

Right, which wasn't gameplay. I'm surprised anyone would make any expectations of a system's power based on one third party video.

Anyway, watched the full video now. It's funny how unbelievably inconsistent it it.

Like, one second Resident Evil is running, displaying amazing technical effects and running smoothly, then next there's some awful dynasty warriors esque game looking like early ps2 era running at a bad framerate.

A lot of these games scream "lazy third party launch titles rushed out the door". Honestly Capcom look like the only people other than Nintendo that are putting in any effort just now. I'm especially disappointed with say, Ridge Racer, which looks like shit and seems to run like shit too.

Well I guess Dead or Alive is okay too...and Metal Gear honestly but surely there's only so much you can fuck up a port (even if replacing visual assets).

Well, the Wii was 25000 at launch but in 2006 that was roughly $215 and it was $249 in the US. Hopefully they won't follow that same trend of slightly upping the price to over $300.

Those RE games look fantastic.

At the bolded bit, I have to admit I actually like the idea of the charger dock. I've got so many chargers here that it can sometimes be a nightmare trying to find the right one. Not something that'll happen with a charger dock though.

Really does seem Nintendo are going all out on the whole package this time around, with a bigger focus on online play and communication along with many more features. Given what's coming in the console's box, I'd say the 25000 Yen price tag is more than justified.

One, it looks awesome.

Two, I imagine you will just be able to take the cable out of the dock and put it straight into the system for portability. Just guessing of course, but you can with most docks of that nature (phones etc)

Has there been any mention of a main account system for the 3DS? The Gameboy VC has me giddy but unless they make it so you can transfer your stuff from one machine to another, without having to send it to Nintendo, I probably won't touch it.

Has there been any mention of a main account system for the 3DS? The Gameboy VC has me giddy but unless they make it so you can transfer your stuff from one machine to another, without having to send it to Nintendo, I probably won't touch it.

You mean transferring your downloaded wares from your DSi? That's been included. And if you mean can you transfer it if you buy another 3DS, they've said you can if you're replacing your system. They won't let you transfer it from one system to another if you're wanting to give something you've bought to friends though, I can't see that working in a business model, but I'd say there'll be the gift option like the Wii Shop.