NEurope
Dante

3DS Console Discussion

Summary of info so far

Release - February 26, 2011 in Japan

Seems to be a huge emphasis on online and Wi-Fi

Mii Support!

So it seems there is a conference of some sorts.. Good I'm still up :p.

Finally found a useful site to get info, IGN is way to slow.

Some quick interesting things:

- Launch date: 26-02-2011 Nippon, March for US / EU

- retail price will be 25000 yen (no price for US / EU)

- Capable of some multitasking, you could pause your game to read any tag messages you've received for example..

- Old gameboy games for VC now official.. Link's awakening DX and Mario Land shown apparently

- Includes 2GB SD card, and several apps installed, some Augmented reality things or something for example.

Hmm, somebody has posting priority it seems :P.

Edited by Sméagol
Automerged Doublepost

25,000 yen? Didn't the DS launch for 15,000 yen? Don't get too cocky, Nintendo. :nono:

Also, what's with the change of colour with the analogue stick.

scaled.php?tn=0&server=25&filename=9esq.jpg&xsize=640&ysize=640

I guess when Nintendo said "the design at E3 is not finalised yet" they meant "we still need to colour in an analogue stick". Still, I like the design.

Edited by LostOverThere

I don't know.. Technically I believe it's relatively much better than the DS was at the time, furthermore, the package seems to be more complete. Anyway, you can always wait for the reviews.

Yeah it'll be approx $300! Hopefully £179-£199 here. I'm actually relieved at a March release, gives me time to try and save some dosh! However i'm shocked it ain't out in Japan this year! Who'd have thought?

However i'm shocked it ain't out in Japan this year! Who'd have thought?
Yeah, big surprise that. But a very smart move I reckon, import scene would have been mental otherwise. :heh:

Some great pics/vids can be found here:

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/n10/conference2010/index.html

Sceens:

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/n10/conference2010/3ds/software.html

Nintendogs + Cats = :love::love::love::love::love::love::love:

The graphics in those screen shots don't seem to be overly improved from the DS.

I could have sworn that Capcom said the resident evil trailer they showed was "close to" the real time gameplay graphics.

EDIT: Ok, the animals look quite furry in nintendogs and cats... but still, I was expecting more :(

Edited by grantjames

Was nothing else discussed except the Japanese pricing? I thought there would be lots of info. :blank:

They discussed what's included (SD card, augmented reality, dock), the Mii Studio, multitasking, how it uses Wi-Fi etc and also some games.

Yeah it'll be approx $300! Hopefully £179-£199 here. I'm actually relieved at a March release, gives me time to try and save some dosh! However i'm shocked it ain't out in Japan this year! Who'd have thought?

It's the same price as the Wii when that launched in Japan. However, as currencies are very different, it's hard to predict what it will be elsewhere. Hopefully they'll stick with the "same price as Wii's launch" elsewhere.

Lots of good stuff from that, I'm actually excited about a video-game related launch again. Something that hasn't happened in a long time for me. I think all the extra connectivity in and around the games is a fantastic thing. Better get our pre-orders in early.

Virtual Handheld FTW!

Also, they better won't translate that price 1:1 to dollar and then to euro. This would basically kill my desire to get one on launch. >:|

So it seems there is a conference of some sorts.. Good I'm still up :p.

Finally found a useful site to get info, IGN is way to slow.

Some quick interesting things:

- Launch date: 26-02-2011 Nippon, March for US / EU

- retail price will be 25000 yen (no price for US / EU)

- Capable of some multitasking, you could pause your game to read any tag messages you've received for example..

- Old gameboy games for VC now official.. Link's awakening DX and Mario Land shown apparently

- Includes 2GB SD card, and several apps installed, some Augmented reality things or something for example.

Hmm, somebody has posting priority it seems :P.

According to Joystiq, there's more.

- Downloaded software can be transferred from one 3DS to a new one.

- You can transfer DSiWare games from a DSi to a 3DS.

- Charging dock and telescopic stylus included.

- Face buttons are backlit

- In-game menu (home button) will let you change settings, browse the web, etc.

Built-in Software:

- Nintendo 3DS camera

- Nintendo 3DS sound

- Mii Studio (you can take a picture of yourself to help design your Mii)

- Chance Encounter Mii Plaza

- AR Games

- Book (possibly an eBook reader)

Full Specifications here.

The 3DS will contain the following items:

• Nintendo 3DS System
  • Nintendo 3DS Exclusive Charging Stand
  • Nintendo 3DS AC Adapter
  • Nintendo 3DS Exclusive Touch Pen
  • SD Memory Card (2 Gigabytes)
  • 6 AR Cards (paper cards used for playing with the camera)
  • Simple Starter Guide
  • Instructions
  • Warranty

The article also details major specifications including weight, camera, physical size specifications, wireless details, etc.

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2010/09/29/3ds_price_date_specs/

Edited by LostOverThere

I must have missed it, but how much internal storage does the 3DS come with, excluding the 2GB SD card?

From the sheet, it doesn't sound like it has any.

Looking forward to March but it must be said the system doesnt look like a graphical powerhouse at hall. Maybe somewhere between a N64 and GC?

The graphics in those screen shots don't seem to be overly improved from the DS.

I could have sworn that Capcom said the resident evil trailer they showed was "close to" the real time gameplay graphics.

EDIT: Ok, the animals look quite furry in nintendogs and cats... but still, I was expecting more :(

This is nothing we didn't see when the system was announced. All the screens are of the same games looking virtually the same. What is shocking you? :confused:

We already (probably) know the system specs (very likely to be true at least) and it is significantly more powerful than the DS. It can, without question, do much more than the DS.

But here's some things to think about: two of the games shown here are ports, another game has the "Wii sports" deliberately basic style, animal crossing always looks the same (even on Gamecube) and Paper Mario also sticks to that style.

That leaves us with Mario Kart, Kid Icarus, Nintendogs...and well Steel Diver. The first 3 are the best looking ones on the site, we've seen Kid Icarus in motion and know it looks good. Mario Kart looks similar to the Wii version and will likely run at 60fps even with 3D effects. Nintendogs is basic in style, but no one can deny the fur shading is nice.

Steel Diver is too much of an unknown to really comment.

Anyway for the record, most of the screens there have been there the entire time. For example, there are no new screens up there of Mario Kart, the same ones since the reveal.