NEurope
Dante

3DS Console Discussion

It looks good, sure, but it isn't perfect. Nintendo still haven't reach Apple's level of aesthetics.

But if Nintendo used Apple's "aesthetics" the 3DS would be £599.

But if Nintendo used Apple's "aesthetics" the 3DS would be £599.

And don't forget:

Poor battery life, touch screen only controls and shitty 59p games.

Some specs details have been shown.

Size (when closed):

Approximately 5.3 inches wide, 2.9 inches long, 0.8 inches tall.

Weight:

Approximately 8 ounces.

Look:

Final design is TBA.

Top Screen:

3.53-inch widescreen LCD display, enabling 3D view without the need for special glasses; with 800x240 pixel resolution (400 pixels are allocated for each eye to enable 3D viewing).

Touch Screen:

3.02-inch LCD with 320x240 pixel resolution with a touch screen.

Cameras:

One inner camera and two outer cameras with 640x480 (0.3 Mega) pixel resolution.

Pre-Installed Software:

TBA

Nintendo 3DS Game Card:

2 GB Max. at launch.

Wireless Communication:

Can communicate in the 2.4 GHz band. Multiple Nintendo 3DS systems can connect via a local wireless connection to let users communicate or enjoy competitive game play. Systems also can connect to LAN access points to access the Internet and allow people to enjoy games with others. Will support IEEE 802.11 with enhanced security (WPA/WPA2). Nintendo 3DS hardware is designed so that even when not in use, it can automatically exchange data with other Nintendo 3DS systems or receive data via the Internet while in sleep mode.

Game Controls:

Touch screen, embedded microphone, A/B/X/Y face buttons, + Control Pad, L/R buttons, Start and Select buttons, "Slide Pad" that allows 360-degree analog input, one inner camera, two outer cameras, motion sensor and a gyro sensor.

Other Input Controls:

3D Depth Slider to adjust level of 3D effect (can be scaled back or turned off completely depending on the preference of the user), Home button to call system function, Wireless switch to turn off wireless communications (even during game play), Power button. The telescoping stylus is approximately 4 inches when fully extended.

Input/Output:

A port that accepts both Nintendo 3DS game cards and game cards for the Nintendo DS™ family of systems, an SD memory card slot, an AC adapter connector, a charging cradle terminal and a stereo headphone output jack.

Sound:

Stereo speakers positioned to the left and right of the top screen.

Battery:

Lithium ion battery details TBA.

Languages:

TBA

Parental Controls:

Parental controls similar to the Nintendo DSi system will be included

Also Sony Senior Director loves it.

It seems to to be pretty difficult to have a bad word to say about the recently unveiled 3DS, even if you are the competition. Following from the recent praise that a Microsoft general manager gave to Nintendo's "experimentation" with 3D gaming, a Sony senior director has now echoed that encouragement.

Senior group studio director, Mick Hocking, for Studio Liverpool, Evolution Studios, and BigBig Studios, said that Sony was "very pleased" with Nintendo taking its steps into the world of 3D gaming:

We are very pleased that Nintendo is launching in the field of 3D with its Nintendo 3DS, as this will give the general public a better understanding of 3D and thus democratising this technology in some way.

The positive comment came during a a recent presentation with the focus shining on 3D technology. Sony itself is a supporter of 3D gaming, with the PS3's support of the technology being promoted at this year's E3 event, along with games like Killzone 3 and Gran Turismo being key titles for when Sony's own foray into 3D gaming.

tumblr_l45nl9B7Gp1qz5mt0o1_500.png

3DS stampede

shitty 59p games.
Hi, Plants vs. Zombies on the iPhone cost me 59p, it's better than 50% of the DS library and cost about 2% of the price of a DS game! This isn't a defence of the iPhone, but a dig at the price of retail games :)

Hi, Plants vs. Zombies on the iPhone cost me 59p, it's better than 50% of the DS library and cost about 2% of the price of a DS game! This isn't a defence of the iPhone, but a dig at the price of retail games :)

Don't have an iPhone but this point exactly. Some of the prices for the DS software is outrageous and seems to be going up (I shit bricks when I saw Platinum at £35 in GAME the other day, next to Mario Kart DS which has not budged in price at all).

I've bought very small homebrew games on my PC for a lot cheaper and I don't doubt there are some jewels to be found on the iPhone.

This point is doubled combined with the fact I'm in Europe and Nintendo always insist on raping my wallet.

Agreed handheld games are FAR too expensive.

I agree. I bought Mario Kart Wii, and the Wii Wheel for £27.99, and I was thinking that it's odd how it's cheaper than some of the DS games!

I'll counter your 'better than 50% of the DS library' with: pick any quality DS game and I bet it's worth more than the entire 59p library!

Let me elaborate on my 59p remark.

First of all I'll state that I don't own an iPhone, I only have experience with using my friends and general knowledge from the grapevine.

I agree, DS retail games are too expensive and I can understand peoples' frustrations with feeling ripped off. I just had a look at Mario Kart DS on game.co.uk and there isn't much difference in price between new and second hand, £22 new and £19 second hand, even though the game has been out for five to six years.

I'll admit that I was wrong to simply label 59p games = shit, the reason why I did is because creating and distributing 59p games, doesn't take much effort from developers and publishers. What I mean by this is, publishers will be happy to dump any game, regardless of quality.

I understand DS has it's fair share of bad quality games but at the end of the day, your not going to get a game the length or quality of Dragon Quest for 59p. Captain obvious, I know lol!

What I'm trying to say is, if you can get a good game for 59p, good for you but I have a feeling these are few and far between all the bad 59p games.

So it looks like Ocarina of Time 3D was more than just a tech demo :) that will be truly awesome. Even if I have played it 1000 times already.

So it looks like Ocarina of Time 3D was more than just a tech demo :) that will be truly awesome. Even if I have played it 1000 times already.

Ocarina of Time remake is good indeed. I just hope 3DS doesn't turn into a console port/remake machine.

[3DS cart & box]

I'm all for thinner boxes.

Oh and in general; I'm excited about the 3DS. It's just that at times like the E3, there's so much stuff going on at once, I don't know where to start, so I'll just avoid the forum completely.. Just visiting the news frontpage, when it works god dammit. Don't like the design much though.. But the DSi is hard to beat, especially when you have to add all that extra stuff on it ;). Anyway, I'll see if I can import it just like my DSi at the time of the Japanese release.

Slimmer boxes would be fine, although, the North American ones aren't actually that bad.

I think it's interesting that this will be the first console in history in which we won't be able to judge a game visually until we have it in our hands.

We can take a reviewers word for it, we can see the game in 2D in video reviews, pictures and TV adverts... but not until the game is actually there in front of us will anyone truely see what the 3DS' game are like!!

I'd imagine that would (hopefully) lead to one hell of a roadshow like event.

I'd imagine that would (hopefully) lead to one hell of a roadshow like event.
For launch yes, but what about each and every game there after! It'll be interesting to see how it's handled!

I imagine for starters third parties will advertise their games on TV a lot more and with strong 3D messages... either in adverts similar to the one with the Nintendo bosses shown at E3, or maybe like the new advert for the 3D TV (panasonic maybe?) where it's shown in 3D despite our TV's not showing it and inticing you to want to experience the 3D images.

I think it's interesting that this will be the first console in history in which we won't be able to judge a game visually until we have it in our hands.

virtualboy.jpg

For launch yes, but what about each and every game there after! It'll be interesting to see how it's handled!

I imagine for starters third parties will advertise their games on TV a lot more and with strong 3D messages... either in adverts similar to the one with the Nintendo bosses shown at E3, or maybe like the new advert for the 3D TV (panasonic maybe?) where it's shown in 3D despite our TV's not showing it and inticing you to want to experience the 3D images.

Perhaps the latter but also side on shots of the DS with things popping out?

virtualboy.jpg

Technically that was in our eyes, and therein lay the problem :heh:

Had a convo with my friend yesterday, he's a major apple fanboy and he was just going on about how the iPhone makes the 3DS and other handhelds obsolete, that people wont get one if they have an iPhone because iPhone has many awesome games on it (I've yet to see one, I also brought up the control issue with the iPhone which he just ignored).

Yes, the iPhone is popular, but he fails to recognise that the DS has sold around 100 million units and the iPhone, while selling 50 million units, many of them have since been replaced with higher units so earlier iPhones shouldn't be counted

He seems to think that everything should be on one device...I hate people that think like that, it's stuff that's awesome in theory, but in application is down right retarded.

I hate narrow-mindedness :/

I wonder how good/bad this looks for people with asymmetrical vision like myself.

I havent bought a handheld since the original GBA but the 3DS' proposed library is hard to ignore. I want one!

I wonder how good/bad this looks for people with asymmetrical vision like myself.

I havent bought a handheld since the original GBA but the 3DS' proposed library is hard to ignore. I want one!

Well, don't forget, you can always turn the 3D effects off so you can experience the games normally

Edited by Serebii
Automerged Doublepost

He seems to think that everything should be on one device...I hate people that think like that, it's stuff that's awesome in theory, but in application is down right retarded.

I hate narrow-mindedness :/

Please, do explain.

Had a convo with my friend yesterday, he's a major apple fanboy

/

The most irritating people in the world by far. I never met much in person but they creep around on-line a lot. You can already hear them mispronoucing GIF!

Please, do explain.

I think he means guys that think that there should be ONe system for games etc?

It wouldn't work and to be honest WHERES the fun in that :D

We all need a bit of system wars ?:)

He essentially thinks that all developers should develop all games for one platform only, the iPhone. He thinks the iPhone can deliver awesome games with awesome graphics and can easily beat out all competition. He does work at an Apple Re-Seller though so

Yes, there are some games on the iPhone that are awesome, but it's severely limited. Take a racing game. Almost all racing games for iPhone/iPod/iPad use the motion for steering...but that's it. Some may have you tap the screen to brake but you lack control. This is why the iPhone and other apple devices aren't good for games that aren't just the little games you spend 5 mins playing then go back to living your life. For proper games, you need input options. This is the same reason why Kinect wont be as popular as MS hope and why so few developers have actually revealed proper games for it.

Competition in hardware is needed. If it wasn't for that, the Wii would just have been a High Def Gamecube. The DS wouldn't have had touchscreen or a second screen. Competition allows for ideas and innovations to come. If you have everything on one platform, it stagnates and things just continue as slightly more advanced.