NEurope
Dante

3DS Console Discussion

In the Sony conference, they said they are giving PSP a big marketing push, so I doubt Sony have anything planned at the moment.

You can sort of see how the 3D will work...

Great. That link was very impressive looking as well.

You can actually, especially on the pikmin bit.

I just want a release date...that's all. I know it can't be this year, otherwise they would have announced it to big applause... but secretly I'm still hoping...

I think its this year. Theres a reason Mario and Metroid have appeared earlier on Wii. DK ain't a huge seller despite its winter release. They've surely cleared the way for something... it must be 3DS.

They appeared earlier just cause they finished development earlier. I'm sure they just said they'll ship content once it's ready, no point keeping it till Winter.

I will be getting this! It looks so awesome and even if the 3D doesn't work, the graphics are so much better. Kid Icarus looks so awesome!!! I'm definitely getting this one way or another! :D:D:D

Good ole' Nintendo!

Anyone else noticed how useless the touchscreen looks on 3DS so far? :/

I'm getting the impression it's using the same Arm7 secondary processor from the DS, to retain backwards compatibility.

Combining that with the different aspect ratio kind of makes it seem "pointless" this time around. I know it's not, but it kind of feels like the weak link of the system just now.

It doesn't seem like we'll ever be using the stylus over the 3D gameplay this time around, unless developers decide to output 3D to the bottom screen without the stereoscopic 3D effect. No Phantom Hourglass style Zelda sequel I guess.

I don't understand what you're saying...?

I hope you're wrong about it being the same as DS though and that it's multitouch...

I don't understand what you're saying...?

I hope you're wrong about it being the same as DS though and that it's multitouch...

What I'm saying is that a lot of touchscreen games on DS used the bottom screen to display gameplay and let you interact with the game world with the stylus.

But on this system, the selling point is the top screen...the widescreen, 3D display. In other words, the vast majority of developers will want their main action displaying on this screen.

So how it seems is that on this system the touch screen will only be used more for menu/map systems and also for stuff like the "simulated control stick" approach taken by games like Prime Hunters, Mario 64 DS, etc.

It's less of a feature this time around and if developers have touch screen based ideas they're more likely to want to go with DSi I'd think now.

I kind of dislike how the mismatched aspect ratios puts an end to games that had dual screen displays (unless bordered) and also makes games held in the book style less likely.

Edited by James McGeachie

Just some thing I noticed..

An old house mate of mine is out at E3 this week, he's very impressed with the 3DS, talking to him though, apparently there is little gameplay to try out if any.

I'm hoping to clarify the fact with him later regarding whether it is playable at all at E3.

What I'm saying is that a lot of touchscreen games on DS used the bottom screen to display gameplay and let you interact with the game world with the stylus.

But on this system, the selling point is the top screen...the widescreen, 3D display. In other words, the vast majority of developers will want their main action displaying on this screen.

So how it seems is that on this system the touch screen will only be used more for menu/map systems and also for stuff like the "simulated control stick" approach taken by games like Prime Hunters, Mario 64 DS, etc.

It's less of a feature this time around and if developers have touch screen based ideas they're more likely to want to go with DSi I'd think now.

I kind of dislike how the mismatched aspect ratios puts an end to games that had dual screen displays (unless bordered) and also makes games held in the book style less likely.

Get you. I'd imagine it will take a Nintendogs 3D approach and have you control the top screen via the bottom screen...which granted isn't as nice...let's hope the bottom screen is as good as the top one for games that want to just use that... Why the hell it isn't the same aspect ration I have no idea!

Get you. I'd imagine it will take a Nintendogs 3D approach and have you control the top screen via the bottom screen...which granted isn't as nice...let's hope the bottom screen is as good as the top one for games that want to just use that... Why the hell it isn't the same aspect ration I have no idea!

To make room for the buttons without widening the entire system I bet.

Anyway this is starting to become a major issue with the system for me. I just thought of trying to control Nintendogs like that, it seems retarded. You're patting the dog on the bottom screen and it reacting top screen? Sorry, that doesn't seem intuitive.

The reason this bothers me is that the DS shined when it was using the touch screen for inventive gameplay in this manner. For example, Phantom Hourglass/Spirit Tracks. Drawing routes on the touch screen for characters/items to follow, tapping objects beside you to interact, etc.

That's not going to be happening on the 3DS unless developers decide to discard the 3D effect and put their 3D action on the touch screen, with the top screen as a GIANT map screen!

The system is too much of a mess of ideas. It really feels like the ultimate form of Nintendo's gimmick fetish. It literally has all of them rolled into one.

You have to wonder how Nintendo are going to market this. A regular camera/display makes it impossible to show the 3D effect at it's best so what will the tv ads be like I wonder.

A huge tour across Europe for us to go hands on. Buzz and media will take it from there methinks.

Television adds will probably be somewhat like the 3DS trailer with the Nintendo executives. Only with actors, I would expect.

Television adds will probably be somewhat like the 3DS trailer with the Nintendo executives. Only with actors, I would expect.

It's pretty lame though, it's a product that needs to be seen in real life, so it'll be tough to market on for instance tv to great effect.

By god I can't wait for this. Haven't been this excited for a release since SF4.

I still have a ton of questions, especially regarding it's online play. Wonder if friend codes are gone?

Coincidentally, SF4 is also on the 3DS! :D

I love this. So, so much.

By god I can't wait for this. Haven't been this excited for a release since SF4.

One of the release games is street fighter 4 3d edition( may not be final title name)

Im pleased with that :)

I love that we finally have a handheld that can pretty much run any current genre now.

Just got off the phone to my friend, he got to sample the tech demo's after the presentation but apparently the actual booth at E3 is packed beyond what his eyes can see, so he can't verify if there's actually any thing playable for the 3DS at E3.

If this is the case... we've got a while to wait.

EDIT: Disregard this post, I suck cocks. Seen images of Star Fox being played at E3.

Edited by Debug Mode