NEurope
Dante

3DS Console Discussion

Has anyone got a e-mail from EGM I did and in it is this

COMING LATER THIS WEEK: More news, reviews, and previews – presented the

way only EGMi can deliver! Check out our special preview of Kane and Lynch 2:

Dog Days, Backbreaker, Nintendo's new 3DS, as well as additional extended

content from the pages of Electronic Gaming Monthly issue 238!

Some news:

Electronista.com

Nintendo 3DS games will be harder to copy

Nintendo president Satoru Iwata said in an interview today that the 3DS will have tougher anti-copying measures than the existing DSi. The executive wouldn't say what it would involve, saying it would give "hints" to pirates, but told Forbes it was important to step up copy protection measures. Nintendo is concerned about a culture of free where "software is meaningless," Iwata said.

He added that the 3DS will still be usable by those who don't like or can't use 3D. The signature displays, likely made by Sharp, won't have to generate their effect at all times and can be switched back to 2D. His statements suggest that many if not all 3DS games will have a fallback to conventional graphics.

The 3DS may have the latest NVIDIA Tegra graphics, higher-resolution displays and even extras like analog sticks or vibration feedback.

Destructoid.com

Nintendo hates your ROM downloading. Hates. They hate it even more when they see that they're reporting the first downturn in six years now. This likely fuels them even more to beef up anti-piracy measures in their upcoming 3D (no glasses required!) portable game system, the Nintendo 3DS.

According to Forbes, they didn't want to say exactly what they were doing to fend of game copying and uploading, as they felt talking too much might give hints to the pirates.

Nintendo president Satoru Iwata sounds pissed: We fear a kind of thinking is become widespread that paying for software is meaningless," he said. "We have a strong sense of crisis about this problem."

When it comes to piracy protection, I don't think that Nintendo has been very successful so far. We'll see what other measures they've put into place when we get a better look at the Nintendo 3DS at E3 this summer.

Iwata Talks 3DS, Future Consoles and Piracy

Nintendo CEO Satoru Iwata shared a few bits on Nintendo's plans for the 3DS during the Q&A session of an investors briefing last week. Nintendo has since posted a full transcript of the briefing, allowing us to see Iwata's commentary on 3DS and other issues in full.

Currently, the Q&A is in Japanese only. Nintendo will presumably provide an English translation later in the week, but to hold you over, here's a summary.

I'm updating this through the day in between my top secret government spy work, so check back for more.

On Wii's Successor

Iwata was asked for his stance on the release of a Wii successor. He gave his usual response -- that Nintendo is always developing new game hardware. "As soon as a new system is complete -- from the very moment it is complete -- we're thinking about the plan for the next game machine," he said. "We believe there's still more we can do with the Wii," he added, stating that as a result he has nothing to show for the next console.

On Social Gaming

Have some of Nintendo's casual users moved to social games? And under the consideration that making these people use a specific console or handheld in the cloud computing era is behind the times, has Nintendo considered releasing firmware or OS for other platforms?

Iwata responded that while Nintendo doesn't necessarily feel that the current game machine model will last forever, they also feel that for the time being, the notion of game hardware will not become antiquated and go away. "If you ask why we make game consoles, it's because we believe that 'offering experiences that cannot be done on other devices' is our life line. With that meaning, offering software for a multi purpose multimedia device is, for us, an area of work that we have least interest in." And driving the point across further, he said, "If we were to stop and do nothing, the current game system framework would probably become antiquated, but because we continue to offer new things, we don't feel at all that this will happen. We've not once thought things like 'we'll be behind the times, so we should enter social games.'"

On Taking the 3D out of 3DS

Some mainstream papers reported on this (even my local Mercury News!). In response to a question about the 3DS having an effect on kids, Iwata revealed that the 3D feature of the 3DS can be turned off.

Said Iwata, "This isn't limited to just kids, but we're aware one in some tens of people, including adults, have difficulty with three dimensional visuals. So, while the 3D image is a special feature of the 3DS, we won't force the player to use the 3D functionality. By making it so that the player can at all times play with [the 3D feature] off, we believe we can comply with those who have difficulty with the 3D view or those who are worried about their childs' eyes.

On the 3DS Target Audience

Someone suggested that the 3DS appears to target core gamers, going at odds with Nintendo's aim to expand the game population. "I see no foundation for that statement," responded Iwata. "We definitely do not feel that 3D targets heavy users. However, we have a feeling that, until you've seen something that makes you say 'Of course, when used like that, it's clearly a 3D game that anyone can play,' you can't be convinced, so we hope that you'll make the decision in the future when you've seen something solid."

On 3DS Development Costs

Will there be a jump in game development costs in moving from 2D to 3D? Also, will chips (for software storage) and software costs rise?

On the first issue, Iwata responded, "If a game is originally made as a true 3D space, you make the 3D image by drawing two lines, one matching the left eye and one matching the right eye, so converting a game that already takes place in a 3D world into 3D is not all that difficult.

"If you try to make something that's not in a 3D world into 3D, you'll probably have some cost. However, I don't really feel that there's any substance to that. Naturally, you won't make a game interesting by just making the visuals 3D. It's when you offer an interactive experience in the 3D visuals as part of a set with something that is interesting that you first have value as entertainment. Regarding this, there's still no foundation, and it's an area that requires trial and error. It is that trial and error alone that could see an increase in development cost. However, the trial and error is there for any development where you try to make new entertainment experiences, and not just 3D."

He also added that the costs for this trial and error phase can be kept in check by good management -- keeping teams small during this period, for instance, and increasing team size only when you have a foundation in place.

Regarding software prices and software space, Iwata said that he had no information to offer. Software prices are something that the third party makers decide for themselves, he added. This is an area that cannot be given specifics until some time has passed, he said.

On Surprises

Someone asked Iwata if Nintendo will have any other E3 surprises aside from 3DS. Responded Iwata, "I can't say if there will or will not be surprises. If, for example, I said, 'there will be a surprise,' there wouldn't be any meaning, as everyone would be disappointed because of anticipation being exceedingly high."

On Rumors

The same person who asked the question about surprises asked if Iwata had heard all the talk about 3DS requiring high end hardware in order to produce proper 3D visuals with high-enough resolution and no drop in framerate.

Iwata said that he wouldn't respond to rumors. However, he added, "When we made the 3DS, we wanted to make it into a platform that would attract a wide variety of things, from high end games to extremely casual games."

On Falling Wii Sales

Someone pointed out to Iwata that Nintendo's plans for the current fiscal year call for lower Wii hardware sales.

Responded Iwata, "The target of 18 million units that we gave for this term is itself a high target when you consider that four years have passed since the system's release." He also noted that Nintendo will have to now appeal to a tougher audience -- people who did not react immediately after being showed the types of play that the Wii offers.

The 18 million target represents a relatively safe forecast. Explained Iwata, "If, in the games that we release this year, one were to make it big -- explode like we hadn't expected, it is, of course, possible that we'd exceed last year. However, making announcements of earnings forecasts on the basis of the assumption of such an explosion would be irresponsible for the management of a public company."

In response to a separate question about Nintendo possibly limiting its resources on Wii and instead placing focus on the system's successor, Iwata said "We are in no way thinking 'the Wii is near the end of its platform cycle so we will limit our investments." He noted that, although it's not common, it's not totally unheard of for a system to become active after having reached its apparent peak. He pointed to the Game Boy, which was said to be "finished," until Pokemon came around and lead to the system's true peak.

On the 3DS Name

Someone asked if "Nintendo 3DS" will remain the final name. Iwata responded, "We've said that it will be released during this term, so the announcement of the formal name will not be too far off."

On the 3DS Announcement

I believe Nintendo's odd choice of timing for the 3DS announcement was previously discussed in the mainstream media, but someone brought it up during the Q&A session. Iwata gave some background into the decision behind the announcement's timing.

Nintendo wanted to show the 3DS at E3. However, they wanted to make it so that software from companies other than Nintendo could be shown at the event. This, of course, meant that they'd have to speak about the primary features of the system to people outside of Nintendo. In Nintendo's experience, when they expand the circle of knowledge, the information begins to spread out in ways that they cannot control. For the DSi and DSi LL, there was no need to expand that circle of information because the basics of the packaged software was unchanged. However, for the 3DS, new software has to be made, thus requiring information to be shared in advance.

On the possibility of people holding back on a DS purchase due to the 3DS announcement, Iwata admitted that this was a possibility, particularly in America as the DSi LL (XL in Japan) was still due out for release at the time of the announcement. However, he doesn't feel that there will be a big effect, as the people who are now buying the DS are people who would more leisurely go about buying new product rather than the kind of people who will rush out and buy the 3DS at launch.

So Nintendo 3DS is geting a new name I like the name how it is and cool E3 is going to be great ha won't it be funny if Pokemon Dash 3D got announced.

So Nintendo 3DS is geting a new name I like the name how it is and cool E3 is going to be great ha won't it be funny if Pokemon Dash 3D got announced.

If you remember, the DS was also a "working name". I'm very certain Nintendo'll still call this the 3DS.

I think they should keep it as 3DS. It does sound a bit odd though when you say it outloud.

Wouldn't it immediately stand for the fact that this new device has DoubleScreen?

Or was that already confirmed?

If you remember, the DS was also a "working name". I'm very certain Nintendo'll still call this the 3DS.

Well, DS had 2 working names, was known as Nitro for a good while in development, and leaks noted a Nintendo Nitro.

3DS is most likely to be the name, but I wouldn't be surprised if they changed it so people didn't make assumptions of a gimmicky nature of following the 3D trend.

It's backwards compatible with old DS games, so yeah.

The name sounds good to me as it is. Usually only their consoles have code working names (Ultra 64, Dolphin and Revolution).

Sweedish people can pre order it now here http://www.game.se/acatalog/Nintendo_3DS_Nintendo_DS.html

From Go Nintendo

http://gonintendo.com/wp-content/photos/DSC03787_1.JPG

Translation

Pre order today!

Soon you'll be able to play games in full 3D. This winter Nintendo will release the revolutionizing Nintendo 3DS, which will, through cutting edge technology, give you an amazing three demensional experience in your games - and without 3D glasses. You can play all your old DS games on it, as well. Register your interest today!

Looks like someone is jumping the gun a bit on this one! Thanks to Trog for the heads up.

Edited by canand

I completely forgot the word for slight errors in a new device, could someone help my out here:idea:

I see myself buying the '3DS' at launch

but

NINTENDO usually updates it a few year.......

oh, right....

NO WAY I'M WAITING A YEAR FOR AN UPDATED '3DS'

Buying it at launch:awesome:

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l2ftnm7oOP1qzg9nso1_r2_400.png

You can definitely preorder the 3DS

Preorders for the 3DS have definitely begun at GAME retailers in Sweden. Here’s another poster that’s been shared online.

From http://nintendo3dsblog.com/post/599482552/preorders-for-the-3ds-have-definitely-begun-at

Can anyone translate this

http://heath.shikokusensei.com/rpgland/scans/rpg-land-dot-com-japanese-scans13may03.jpg

Edited by canand

Just had a look at that price.. they reckon it's gonna cost more than the wii. Jeepers.

I predict $199 at launch in North America, like the DS was. Maybe even less.

It would be a very bad move to make it cost more than the entry level iPod Touch.

To be fair Game are taking pre-orders for anything that's been announced (Natal, PS Move etc).

To be fair Game are taking pre-orders for anything that's been announced (Natal, PS Move etc).

No I can't pre-order PS Move or 3DS yet in Game.

New 3DS Info:

3ds_mobo.jpg.jpg

3DS dev hardware images sighted?

May 17th, 2010

Nintendo appears to be testing a new DS - very likely the 3DS - with the US Federal Communications Commission.

Images of the testing, seemingly now removed from the FCC filing, showed what is referred to as a "Nintendo CTR Target Board".

The company's aim with this deposition was seemingly to get the Wi-Fi card used by the system approved for use in the USA.

So what is this board exactly, and what does it tell us? The only image we have was initially posted at the end of last month by WirelessGoodness, and brought to our attention by reader Daniele Brigliadori, and can be seen below.

It looks like a Nintendo DS test kit or development station stripped down to the motherboard. As the testing was all about the Wi-Fi card, its components have been highlighted in the FCC's images.

WirelessGoodness surmised that it may be a new iteration of DS, or it could simply be a test board submitted by Nintendo to get approval for the inclusion of a new Wi-Fi card for the existing model.

However, the twin screen arrangement on this system is unlike anything seen in any current DS system. All DS systems released to date feature dual 4:3 screens, but what we are clearly seeing here is a widescreen display paired with the more traditional display.

If this is the new Nintendo 3DS in test kit form, it suggests that the system retains its unique dual-screen set-up, but that only one of the displays features Sharp's auto-stereoscopic 3D tech, with the second, lower screen running without the 3D functionality.

It's a shame that the only photograph we have is low-resolution, making in-depth examination of the setup of the board all but impossible. However, we do see the inclusion of stereo speakers, a slot for DS cartridges plus the usual SD card port too - standard for the normal DS of course, but expected for the new hardware any way.

Perhaps the biggest tell, however, is the codename: CTR. Each of the Nintendo hardware revisions for the DS has been given such a three-letter codename. The Nintendo DSi is referred to internally as TWL, while its jumbo counterpart, the DSi XL, is known as UTL. The CTR designation hasn't been used before, which along with the screen configuration suggests a brand new kind of Nintendo DS.

With the firm extremely unlikely to launch a new iteration of the existing hardware with the 3DS just around the corner, it does strongly suggest that this is indeed development hardware strongly connected to a new platform.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-3ds-dev-motherboard-sighted

No I can't pre-order PS Move or 3DS yet in Game.

Sorry, 'Register Your Interest', pre-pre-order as it were.

I'm not entirely convinced it's the 3DS. Way I say it just now is, there's more evidence there that it's a DS revamp than the 3DS. Back at the GDC, several rumours were proven true about the next handheld, and apparent developers working on the system said:

According to developers claiming to be working on the system, the handheld would feature two display screens like the Nintendo DS, but with bigger, higher-resolution display screens, and a smaller gap between them—negligible enough that they can be used together as a single large screen.

Plus, at the end of the article about not launching pre-existing hardware with a new release. GB Micro?

The GBA micro was released back when Nintendo was trying to tell us the DS was a "3rd Pillar". They've made it clear already that the 3DS is a replacement for the DS. I don't think we'd see another DS iteration though seeing as we've already had 4, plus we're getting the 3DS soon. It just wouldn't make sense to release another one alongside it, especially when they just released the DSi XL.

Yeah and a 4th revision seems completely pointless.

There's only so small the DS's design can realistically get while still being functional, so they'll never go the micro route with a DS because it just wouldn't work, so a smaller revision isn't going to happen.

The idea of them adding widescreen to a simple DS revision is very obviously retarded anyway. What purpose would that serve on the old hardware other than to stretch the display of games and mess up the display of games that use both screens?

Realistically no other revisions for the DS make any sense now when the 3DS is coming, which still obviously is going to feature a dual screen set up anyway. They'd have to add something to the DS's hardware again for another revision to have reason to exist after the DSi XL and considering it already has dual screens, a touch screen, a microphone, an SD card slot and 2 cameras, I don't see anything more that makes sense being added to the standard DS hardware now.

I'm going to go believe that the test kit in the picture relates to the 3DS.

Edited by James McGeachie

Nintendo Trademarks 3DS, 3DSPlay, and 3DSWare

It's been a couple months since Nintendo rush-released a statement on its up and coming 3D handheld, and the company's been predictably mum on most of the details. To be honest, we're not even sure what the official name for the thing will be -- although Nintendo 3DS has been the working title (and the one that makes the most sense, if you ask us). Now the kids at Siliconera are reporting a flurry of activity in Japan's trademark database, with Nintendo registering such names as: Nintendo 3DS, N3DS, 3DSPlay (a 3D WiiPlay variant?) and 3DSWare (similar to DSiWare, perhaps). All in all, it seems safe to assume that the device we see at E3 will be dubbed the 3DS, but who knows? This certainly wouldn't be the first time that a trademark has thrown us for a loop.

Nintendo

商願2010-021055 DS Sound

商願2010-021086 DS Name Card

商願2010-021087 DSMagazine

商願2010-021088 DSMovie

商願2010-021089 DSCamera

商願2010-021090 DSCinema

商願2010-021091 DSMessage

商願2010-021092 DSMusic

商願2010-021093 DSAlbum

商願2010-021709 3DSPlay

商願2010-021710 Nintendo 3DS

商願2010-021711 ニンテンドー3DS (Nintendo 3DS)

商願2010-021712 3DSWare

商願2010-021713 Nintendo 3DSWare

商願2010-023066 N3DS

商願2010-024659 ポケモンカードゲーム (Pokemon Card Game)

商願2010-024660 トレーナーズウェブサイト (Trainers Web Site)

商願2010-024661 トレーナーズ (Trainers)