NEurope
Dante

3DS Console Discussion

That's hilarious, ReZourceman. Haha.

With regard to Nintendo's DSi or DSXL or DSLOL successor... whatever the current edition of the hardware is titled, I barely play the DS as it is so we'll see what Nintendo churn out this time. If it's another machine more DS/Wii than GBA and GameCube they can keep it.

Traditional controls for the win.

With regard to Nintendo's DSi or DSXL or DSLOL successor... whatever the current edition of the hardware is titled, I barely play the DS as it is so we'll see what Nintendo churn out this time. If it's another machine more DS/Wii than GBA and GameCube they can keep it.

Traditional controls for the win.

Nintendo didn't abolish traditional controls, though. Mario Kart DS used traditional controls. There were just more things for developers to play with. As a result, there's a lot of things that you can create on the system. Some of the best games use traditional controls, and some of the best use the stylus and touchscreen.

I've never been one for handhelds but I much prefer the DS to Nintendo's past handhelds. Sure, I've enjoyed Pokemon, Tetris and Metroid Fusion in the past, but ultimately I've always felt like handheld games were just console games "minimised." Smaller. Because of that, I've much prefered playing home consoles instead of handhelds.

So, the DS has been something quite different for me. It's not just a home console game made smaller. It's been a different experience. I hope Nintendo continue with that path.

Nintendo didn't abolish traditional controls, though. Mario Kart DS used traditional controls. There were just more things for developers to play with. As a result, there's a lot of things that you can create on the system. Some of the best games use traditional controls, and some of the best use the stylus and touchscreen.

I've never been one for handhelds but I much prefer the DS to Nintendo's past handhelds. Sure, I've enjoyed Pokemon, Tetris and Metroid Fusion in the past, but ultimately I've always felt like handheld games were just console games "minimised." Smaller. Because of that, I've much prefered playing home consoles instead of handhelds.

So, the DS has been something quite different for me. It's not just a home console game made smaller. It's been a different experience. I hope Nintendo continue with that path.

I'm just too into playing games traditionally.

If I speak honestly I'm only really bitter about Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks not playing in a way I'd have liked them to. Hand constantly getting in the way, the disconnected feel of controlling Link by pointing or dragging the stylus. I suppose those games could have never controlled traditionally now I really think about it, what with all the route charting and the boomerang and sword slashing. Just wasn't for me I suppose.

I do agree a lot of DS games give a real console feel though and I realise I'm in the minority disliking their current route as clearly the sales speak well against me.

Hands on preview

You made me stop my listen-through of Plan B's album for that? I hate you.

.. Ok I admit it made me grin :P

I'm just too into playing games traditionally.

If I speak honestly I'm only really bitter about Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks not playing in a way I'd have liked them to. Hand constantly getting in the way, the disconnected feel of controlling Link by pointing or dragging the stylus. I suppose those games could have never controlled traditionally now I really think about it, what with all the route charting and the boomerang and sword slashing. Just wasn't for me I suppose.

I do agree a lot of DS games give a real console feel though and I realise I'm in the minority disliking their current route as clearly the sales speak well against me.

Is there an option to use the D-Pad with the Zeldas? I can't remember off the top of my head. That game is an example where they should have offered both sets of controls, I think. At least for moving Link. But then, as you say, it would've been fiddling using the stylus to use the sword and use the d-pad for moving, and still finding a way to use the other buttons.

There needs to be balance, I think. Brawl had the right idea, where you had Wiimote only controls, Wii and Nunchuk, Classic Controller and Gamecube Controller options. In that sorta game, nothing was gained from using the pointer controls, so ultimately it was just down to preference. It's not as "messy" as reworking other games which heavily use the Wiimote controls. Galaxy for example, where you use the pointer to pick up star bits. Dunno how that would've worked without the pointer. Unless you use a Gamecube/Classic Controller and use the second stick to look around.

There needs to be balance, I think. Brawl had the right idea, where you had Wiimote only controls, Wii and Nunchuk, Classic Controller and Gamecube Controller options. In that sorta game, nothing was gained from using the pointer controls, so ultimately it was just down to preference. It's not as "messy" as reworking other games which heavily use the Wiimote controls. Galaxy for example, where you use the pointer to pick up star bits. Dunno how that would've worked without the pointer. Unless you use a Gamecube/Classic Controller and use the second stick to look around.

Yeah, it's true. Brawl offered every control option to make a gamer happy, it's just they messed the online up so bad it was virtually unplayable. Damn you, Nintendo. Hurry up and go make games for the Xbox where they have good Internet play for which you pay, but receive a service oh so sweet.

Galaxy was fairly normal though except for the waggle collecting star bits. It would have controlled fine with a GameCube pad though, agreed. New Super Mario Bros has some really annoying controls in there that could have been button presses. Picking stuff up is awkward, what's the problem with down+b? Thing is, I just know the next console Zelda is going to be some crazy innovative motion controlled game that will either work well with me or make it totally unenjoyable... and I love the Zelda, man!

But back to 3DS... how can it possibly work without glasses? And isn't touching three dimensional things going to look and seem very weird? The depth 3D can provide in film is really cool, but I wonder if it'll all get a bit confusing on a small, handheld console.

Edited by Guy

You made me stop my listen-through of Plan B's album for that? I hate you.

.. Ok I admit it made me grin :P

Don't encourage me. :p

Apparently it's coming to the UK in October.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=243473

Nintendo's 3DS will be released a full two months in advance of Christmas this year, CVG can reveal.

UK industry sources have today informed us that the platform holder is readying an October launch for the system - which it will announce at E3.

That means it will go head-to-head with Microsoft's own great hardware hope this winter, Project Natal.

News of an October launch was a surprise for the execs we spoke to - as Nintendo had only previously announced that the handheld would hit shelves before March, 2011.

An October launch pre-dates that expiry date by a full six months - and gives Nintendo a three-month run-up to Christmas.

One very senior publishing source told CVG: "It's a surprise - we were expecting it much closer to Christmas. But I suppose it gives Nintendo the opportunity to get it front and centre in people's minds nice and early.

"In my experience, you don't launch a product that early to Christmas unless you're confident in it - and going to spend a lot of money on it. We're reassured that Nintendo is going to give it some decent backing in Q4."

However, apparently only 8.8% of Japanese consumers want it!

http://www.techradar.com/news/gaming/only-8-8-of-japanese-consumers-want-nintendo-3ds-684616

In a recent Japanese consumer poll, only 8 per cent of Japanese consumers expressed a desire to buy the forthcoming Nintendo 3DS handheld gaming console.

We expect to see the new 3DS at E3 this coming June. Although whether or not we will manage to get some hands (and eyes) on time with it at the show remains to be seen.

However, while the UK gets set to bathe in the so-called "summer of 3D" – with Samsung launching its first 3D TV campaign this month – Japan's consumers seem to be shrugging their shoulders nonchalantly in response to the promise of new 3D gaming tech from Nintendo.

Japanese organisation goo Research polled 1,059 members of its monitor group - 52.9 per cent of who were male, 16.1 per cent teenagers, 17.8 per cent twenty-somethings, 21.5 per cent thirty-somethings, 16.2 percent in their forties and 28.3 percent older than fifty.

While 42.1 per cent of those polled already owned a Nintendo DS, DS Lite, DSi or a DSi XL — a mere 8.8 per cent, "would…like to get the recently-announced Nintendo 3DS, featuring 3D that doesn't require special glasses."

Whether or not this poll turns out to be representative of Japan's famously gaming-obsessed wider population of course remains to be seen.

If the 3D works well and the design is good, I'm getting one.

Well obviously only 8.8% want it. We haven't seen it yet. We don't know what its capable of or anything like that. I haven't committed myself to buy one yet either.

Not to mention, if only 42.1% actually owned some form of DS, the madjority of those probably didn't buy it at launch, or even want to buy one at launch. 8.8% is actually huge when you think about it.

Or they don't know anything about it yet because it hasnt be shown yet.

Or they don't know anything about it yet because it hasnt be shown yet.

This. I'm not buying a single word of it, it's analysts yet again on the ramble, playing the guessing game.

It is important to note that survey isn't all that negative as stated by the article. Looking at the actual goo research data, around 64% are actually interested in it, the ones who are interested but 'are not sure if they are to buy it' (just under 59%) are the smart ones here, as there's no way you'd hop to buy a product you've not seen yet at all, it's a gamble, especially considering the majority of those questioned are over the age of 50.

They should have probably waited til after more information was known, rather than 3D features being the only thing to say.

I'll be VERY surprised if UK get this in October..i was (and still am) thinking:

Japan- September/October 2010

USA- November 2010

Europe- Feb/March 2011.

Hasn't it always go like that?

Saying that...i've noticed that (the good) DS releases are well and truly drying up by summer so..you never know!

US seems to be first for the first series in consoles strangely, was first for launch of the original DS and Wii. The Wii may be a sign how quick things may be for EU compared to last time, then again, I wouldn't count on it as we may be shafted again.

8.8% great?

Also, 8.8% of DS owners or whatever (whoever they surveyed) is still shit tonnes.

The 3DS allows gamers to enjoy software with 3D effects without the need for any special glasses - but will also play regular DS titles.

Professor Layton developer Level 5 is reportedly creating a custom 3D game for the system.

Nintendo describes it as 'the new portable game machine to succeed [the] Nintendo DS series'. Take from that what you will.

CVG asked Cambridge University 3D experts how the device might work earlier this year.

We haven't yet got hold of a specific launch date - but Sunday, October 10 (10/10/10) is surely a front runner.

Nintendo told CVG today's story was merely "rumour and speculation". We get that a lot.

Why does Nintendo keep saying the same thing rumour and speculation

Why does Nintendo keep saying the same thing rumour and speculation

I think it may have something to do with the article being based on rumour and speculation. Just a guess.

I think it may have something to do with the article being based on rumour and speculation. Just a guess.

I hope it does come out in October.

haha it is not coming out in october... ANYWHERE but japan..

The ds was the fastest console nintendo ever made.. Unveiled shortly before e3 and then released here in march... Think the wii was released in march too expect that!

Think the wii was released in march too expect that!

You're confusing the Wii and the PS3. The Wii came out in December 2006 everywhere but North America, where it came out in November 2006.

Well 10/10/10 is a great release day, but it's a sunday...therefore the rumour is for the Americas where items are sometimes released on a sunday!

I'll be a little peeved if Europe DO have to wait till 2011 while Japan/America get it in 2010 (like always)...that kinda predictable set-up really does annoy me...however we could get the Vitality Sensor while America has to wait for that..i reckon.

Well 10/10/10 is a great release day, but it's a sunday...therefore the rumour is for the Americas where items are sometimes released on a sunday!

Nintendo stuff is ALWAYS released on sundays in North America. I can't remember the last time something wasn't.

However, apparently only 8.8% of Japanese consumers want it!

When there is nothing to show, it's pretty good already for 8.8%

But of course if Monster Hunter 3 portable, and Dragon Quest XI come out it'll most likely be 150% of people wanting it. (But then again Nintendo still have the other 2 trump cards...New Mario Bros and Pokemon)

PopCap on 3DS

Let's talk about 3D. Nintendo is coming out with a 3D handheld, the 3DS. Does this seem like a gimmick to you guys, or something that's just as exciting as the movie industry is trying to make it?

Vechey: I don't think anyone should write off anything Nintendo does as a gimmick. Nor should they assume anything Nintendo does will be successful. You're talking about guys who came up with the concept called the Wii, and made it one of the most successful things to get new gamers into gaming. If I had a dollar for every time I had mocked both the controller and the console, I would feel silly, because we'd have lots of money, but we would have been really wrong. However, they also did the Virtual Boy. Everything about that, which seemed cool, wasn't.

I am excited about it, though, because of what they've shown with the DS. I wasn't a big believer. I thought, "Man, the PSP is going to destroy it," and I was wrong. And with the Nintendo Wii I thought the name was really bad, but now it doesn't sound as stupid as when they first announced it. I've been proven wrong enough times by Nintendo.

Roberts: On the other hand, the Wii is really great for everybody, but only Nintendo and a couple of other developers are making money off it.

Vechey: Nintendo is the only company that's had great success on the Wii.

Do you think the system they have for selling content there is prohibitive?

Roberts: I think Wiiware is going to make it better. They've never really had the comprehensive experience that even Xbox has. It just takes a long time to get there.

Vechey: It's kind of funny how all Sony and Nintendo had to do was clone Xbox Live Arcade, and neither of them did a very good job of it.

Roberts: And part of that is to give Microsoft a little more credit. There's a lot more to the Xbox Live Arcade...

Vechey: All they had to do, though, and I'm not saying it's easy, is clone what Microsoft did. And they didn't even do the minimum of that!

Roberts: [Nintendo's] DSi store, the last time I looked at it, which was when the DSi first came out--I felt like I was in 1984. It was like reading ASCII, like "this is how you want me to buy games?!" There were no screenshots, it was like buying on a mobile phone in 2006. It was just nuts.

The Wii was almost a victim of its own success on that stuff, though. The "shovelware" on the Wii was so bad in the first year that consumers and retailers just thought that unless it had the Nintendo name it won't sell, and that kind of became self-fulfilling. So the Wiiware stuff, to the extent that they can actually beef it up and make it usable, will be great. We've got some Wiiware stuff coming up, but we don't see it as a game-changer yet. We're pretty good at saying, "Well, look, this could be cool, let's try it." And as a result we have a long list of successes and a long list of not-so-successes.