NEurope
Dante

3DS Console Discussion

I must admit, I did get overexcited yesterday, but the difference between Nintendo in the "Virtual Boy" days and now is that they used to reach for the sky, whereas the modern Nintendo doesn't do anything until it's affordable, profitable and works reasonably well. Satoru Iwata is incredibly level-headed. The 3DS is more likely to be slightly disappointing than something that just doesn't work.

The thing I hope for the most is that the 3D wont compromise an increase in the resolution of the screens.. The poor resolution of the DS was what I hated the most.

Couldn't agree more, Pyxis. I hope the 3D display doesn't, as you say, compromise the resolution (or the graphical power, I think). Nintendo often preach "gameplay over graphics". The irony is that 3D is just a type of display, whereas processing power does actually allow improvements in gameplay. We're going to need a decent jump in processing power if the handheld Zeldas are ever going to be N64/GameCube quality.

amazing mock up image.

9a4lt5.jpg

Also:

Edited by Dante
Automerged Doublepost

im interested in this....

NIntendo these days usually go where it's affordable. If they get it right it's also PERFECT timing. Movies like avatar have really sold 3d to the mainstream, and bringing it to gaming can be positive.

I'm no tech but... I didn't think it was possible to have an afforable 3d device working without the need for glasses?

my early concerns are

1) the third party. A few have come out and slated it without even knowing anything.. I feel this will be another system with a shitty launch with the good games coming after 1 year.

2) the graphics. They should be at least gamecube quality.

3) i think it's about time the device got an analogue stick. The ds got away with it only because the games were mostly 2d.. games like super mario 64 and metroid prime hunters really hurted though.

Koller also questioned today's announcement of the Nintendo 3DS, saying he wasn't sure if there is a market for 3D handheld gaming with a younger audience.

Wait..am I reading this right?

Analysts, of all fucking people, are concerned there isn't a market for 3D handheld gaming for a younger audience. Are these people totally oblivious to marketing to younger audiences these past 20 years? 3D glasses included in news papers with 3D comics for kids? 3D holographic collectible cards? The vast majority of movies these days for all ages being in 3D? Yet for some strange reason, a hand held console, already popular with kids, displaying graphics in 3D would not have a market?

I do minimal business required by my university course, and even I can tell this is beyond the point of being a complete retard.

I'm not justifying the claims, but part of it may have to do with 3D being used more recently with things that are seen more as marketed towards adults. Avatar wasn't exactly a kids movie, and kids can't exactly afford 3D TVs. Even the PS3, which is supposed to be going 3D in the near future, due to its initial price point, has been seen as a more adult oriented machine.

I'm not justifying the claims, but part of it may have to do with 3D being used more recently with things that are seen more as marketed towards adults. Avatar wasn't exactly a kids movie, and kids can't exactly afford 3D TVs. Even the PS3, which is supposed to be going 3D in the near future, due to its initial price point, has been seen as a more adult oriented machine.

Kids can't afford anything, it comes with the being kids thing.

Its quite obvious the reason this is coming to a handheld, being such a personal experience there is no other type of console where you are most of the time looking from the same angle.

Additional Details Surface on Nintendo 3DS

Nikkei reports that Nintendo plans on including a stick for controlling characters in 3D and will also include rumble in order to communicate attacks and strikes to the player. Nintendo acquired patents related to these control methods last year, the site reports.

The Nikkei report also states that the wireless speed and battery life are expected to improve greatly. Nintendo is also looking into including an accelerometer, which would allow players to control the action by tilting the system. The screen is also expected to be smaller than 4 inches.

Reagrding the timing of the announcement, the Nikkei report states that due to decreased software releases, Nintendo believed it was necessary to bring out a new system.

Nikkei also mentions a more specific time frame for the system. Nintendo announced a release for some time in the coming fiscal year, which starts on April 1 and ends in March 2011. The Nikkei report states that the expected release time frame is the second half of 2010. This appears to be calendar 2010.

Yomiuri Shimbun reports "it is believed that the system will use a Sharp 3D LCD panel." This display technology, according to the site, covers the screen with a small film, separated from the screen by a small space. The 3D effect is achieved by the slight differences in the image seen by the right and left eyes.

Mainichi Shimbun reports that some software developers have been briefed on the system and that software will be available at launch. This, of course, isn't really saying much.

Typical for mainstream publications, none of the sites listed sources for their information. It's unclear how much was heard directly from Nintendo and how much is educated speculation.

First off, you may be right about it not being a kids movie per se, but it was marketed to all ages, at least here in the UK.

But you (and the Sony guy are correct in your assumption) are totally overlooking something. Who honestly thinks Kid's have much money to do any thing these days? A kid isn't going to buy any TV, never mind a 3D one. A kid isn't going to fork out for a PS3, mainly because they survive on pocket money. Even movies, most of the time it isn't their 'hard earned' pocket money, picking up the bill, its their parents.

I see kids sporting some fancy crap these days, ipods, PS3's, mobile phones and I very much doubt any of them get enough pocket money to afford it, or even safe for it (especially in my area). This is where commercial holidays come in. You've got birthdays, Christmas, thanks giving if you're a yank, all of which usually involve the majority of parents spending a fuck ton of cash to keep their spoilt kids in check for a while (We've all been guilty, lets be honest).

Its marketing by proxy, no one honestly expects children to have the sort of money to buy their hardware. They advertise to kids, they attract the kids and their parents buy it.

thanks giving if you're a yank

Err, Thanksgiving isn't really used as a time to give people expensive shit. It's generally that time everyone overeats and gets lethargic on Turkey then get drunk while watching (American) football.

Slightly different images for each eye? If you can't turn this 3D off then it is likely that I simply won't be able to play the thing.

im interested in this....

NIntendo these days usually go where it's affordable. If they get it right it's also PERFECT timing. Movies like avatar have really sold 3d to the mainstream, and bringing it to gaming can be positive.

I'm no tech but... I didn't think it was possible to have an afforable 3d device working without the need for glasses?

my early concerns are

1) the third party. A few have come out and slated it without even knowing anything.. I feel this will be another system with a shitty launch with the good games coming after 1 year.

2) the graphics. They should be at least gamecube quality.

3) i think it's about time the device got an analogue stick. The ds got away with it only because the games were mostly 2d.. games like super mario 64 and metroid prime hunters really hurted though.

Wait..am I reading this right?

Analysts, of all fucking people, are concerned there isn't a market for 3D handheld gaming for a younger audience. Are these people totally oblivious to marketing to younger audiences these past 20 years? 3D glasses included in news papers with 3D comics for kids? 3D holographic collectible cards? The vast majority of movies these days for all ages being in 3D? Yet for some strange reason, a hand held console, already popular with kids, displaying graphics in 3D would not have a market?

I do minimal business required by my university course, and even I can tell this is beyond the point of being a complete retard.

Slightly different images for each eye? If you can't turn this 3D off then it is likely that I simply won't be able to play the thing.

Whats wrong with yo eyes dude? I know you've said normal 3D cinema doesn't work for you too?

Whats wrong with yo eyes dude? I know you've said normal 3D cinema doesn't work for you too?

I'm not 100% sure, but I think my eyes aren't fully aligned with each other. Big screen ones are just blurry, but the ones that work by going cross-eyed (those ones on YouTube, and pictures) reveal that the left eye is straight, while the second image that I see in my right eye is tilted by about 10 degrees.

Err, Thanksgiving isn't really used as a time to give people expensive shit. It's generally that time everyone overeats and gets lethargic on Turkey then get drunk while watching (American) football.

Cant really contend with a view of a guy from the states, but I believe Black Friday or whatever the nuts its called around Thanks Giving is very damn commercial, with all the big stores busting out sales to convince people to buy it as gifts. I know Best Buy and Gamestop take advantage of this, and have seen many flyers pop up on Kotaku explicitly stating it'd make a great Thanks Giving gift.

I only have one concern - First off, are we assuming that this will have 2 screens? It certainly seems that way, especially as it's called the 3DS and is the true successor to the DS. If it does that's great, but will both be 3D? Or will one be 3D and one be 2D? And if both are 3D, will the lower screen still be a touch screen? It must be really, because the machine is backwards compatible with the DS... but surely adding a touch layer on the screen will mess up the 3D surface that would be on the bottom screen? I suspect only the top screen will be 3D, and the lower, 2D screen will just be a standard display.

Hasn't it been mentioned that both screens will be virtually touching (so it's one big screen when tilted)?

Hasn't it been mentioned that both screens will be virtually touching (so it's one big screen when tilted)?

Its been rumoured since that 'leak' from talking to developers at GDC. I think we can totally discredit that though, he seemed to get alot of information, but missed out the very big announcement from Nintendo themselves, 3D screens. How would developers, if they were going to leak anything, miss that out?

Cant really contend with a view of a guy from the states, but I believe Black Friday or whatever the nuts its called around Thanks Giving is very damn commercial, with all the big stores busting out sales to convince people to buy it as gifts. I know Best Buy and Gamestop take advantage of this, and have seen many flyers pop up on Kotaku explicitly stating it'd make a great Thanks Giving gift.

Black Friday is the day after Thanksgiving, hard to buy a Thanksgiving gift the day after it. I think most people do X-mas shopping on Black Friday instead.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think my eyes aren't fully aligned with each other. Big screen ones are just blurry, but the ones that work by going cross-eyed (those ones on YouTube, and pictures) reveal that the left eye is straight, while the second image that I see in my right eye is tilted by about 10 degrees.

Theoretically eyeglasses should be able to fix the problem. Of course 3D glasses over regular glasses is a huge pain.

Still, the point was it is seen by the majority as a commercial holiday, having few friends in the states thanks to University exchanges, I can vouch for a lot of them receiving gifts from $200 upwards around the time.

But yeah, back to my original point, that prat from Sony was really careful with his words, and still made a douche of himself. First the dual screen and touch being a gimmick backfired on them, they still felt inclined to make a dig and totally missed the obvious. Kids love 3D shit. All you gotta do is get a football game on it and they'l lap it right up, it's the only reason my younger siblings and cousins prefer their PSP's, its a portable Fifa machine.

Sony just baffle me. Nintendo have been making handhelds since the 80s, and have consistently beaten any competitors in the portable market every year. Would Nintendo really just chuck any old gimmick out there and hope for the best without doing as much research as Mr. Koller appears to have conducted before making his incredibly informed statement?

amazing mock up image.

9a4lt5.jpg

Mock ups should take something into account: If it's backwards compatible, it'll need a d-pad!

That's one thing that has me a little skeptical on it having an analogue stick, if it has one then it'll need both a stick and d-pad. Would Nintendo do that on a handheld? Will it work comfortably?

Well, if it has an analog stick, lets hope they don't make PSP's mistake, only having one.

Another thing not taken into account there is that the screens will supposedly be near-seamless... that's not the case in that mock-up... I kind of envision it being played with both screens together in a 'wide-screen' format in 3DS formation and on its 'side' to use it as a DS but then... that begs the question, where do the speakers and buttons go in order to make that work?

So in actual fact it'd probably have to be a 'tall-screen' setup for 3DS games which actually would be great if Ikaruga ever came to it - hey I can dream right? - but not so great for other games.

Guess we'll just have to endlessly speculate until it's prooperly unveiled at E3... :indeed:

If it was to have Gamecube graphics then we could end up with Games that are better looking than some on the Wii. Scary.

:)